Wake Up Dead - Left Hand Brewing Company

Wake Up DeadWake Up Dead

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: elgiacomo on 05-04-2011)

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pitch black out of a 22 ounce bomber, from Longmont CO, I literally like every beer I've had from Left Hand. Thick tan head forms nicely with a pitch black body glancing back at me. Aroma has dark fruit, coffee roasts, with vanilla bean creaminess. Flavor is great big roast, big dark malt character with more vanilla slipping in to the fun...That's when things get out of control with big alcohol and chocolate notes burping up a booze background at 10.2% abv I see why? Mouthfeel is full bodied with mellow carbonation slick oily texture that lasts throughout each sip, kind of hard to get through. Overall A beer that is worth it's credibility as a big stout in the bottle from Left Hand, I'm not sorry I tried it.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks to Mr Clean for sharing! Snifter.

A: Pours a dark woody brown with almost no lace or head. A minimal collar is present.
S: I get notes of coffee, dark fruits and some ambiguous roasted and sweet notes. Smells like a stout.
T: Rich chocolate, wood, caramel, roast, and hint of toasted coconut. I get a flavors of chocolate in the finish and tobacco in the aftertaste.
M: A tad thinner than it should me with a medium body and medium-low carbonation.
O: I thought this was a strange stout. It reminded me of a stout mixed with a barleywine. Not my favorite.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Pours an almost black body with reddish hues around the edges. A 2-finger khaki head doesn't stay around too long. Very little lacing, more like sparce spiderwebbing.

S- Dark fruits, brown sugar, molasses, more raisins, and slight milk chocolate.

T- Nice raisin and mollases flavors up front, more brown sugar, and bitter chocolate in the flavor.

MF- Two-fold feel to this one, its not too full bodied on the palate, and even less when you swallow, as in, it seems to feel watery going down.

O- Not bad, not great, but pretty good. Great beer to try and would pick up if I saw again.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Served in a 10 oz chalice glass

Appearance –Served a deep dark black color with a very small brown head. The brew looks sticky just from the way it seems to cling to the glass when swirled. The head faded fast and gave way a decent lacing.

Smell – Roasted coffee and malt notes are the heaviest. There is also a nice presence of chocolate and nuttiness.

Taste – Just as the nose forebode, roasted malt and coffee are the most prevent flavors. The two together persist throughout the taste. More toward the middle some sweeter notes come into play; a little bit of vanilla and a bittersweet chocolate flavor mixed with some darker fruit flavors of prune and raisin. These flavors along with the coffee and roasted malt are met with some nuttiness more toward the end of the taste. Finally at the very end, a warming alcohol flavor comes to the tongue. Not too strong – it’s just enough to warm without overpowering any of the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Nice and creamy with a lower level of carbonation. The beer coats the palette with a nice smoothness; allowing the dark roasty flavors to really permeate the tongue.

Overall - A rather nice imperial stout. A nice warming brew with a good roasty, but balanced taste as well as very pleasing mouthfeel.

4.13/5  rDev +7%

A - Very aggressive pour yields about half a finger of beige head that recedes to a thin bubbly ring. Body is black, no surprise there. Further inspection shows that not even trace amounts of light at the very edges of the glass can yield anything other than absolute pitch black.

S - Smells of cocoa and maybe some rich dried fruits. Smells rather light, almost like a milk stout. Some charred wood is there if I dig for it, along with some bread.

T - Quite unlike what I was expecting from the nose. The earthy flavors of coffee and charred bread come through most prominently with the chocolate providing some richness. aftertaste has the dark fruit sweetness I picked up in the nose. hop notes indiscernible.

M - Smooth and viscous as I would expect from a 10.2% brew. carbonation is mild, a little prickly on the finish.

O - A damn tasty impy stout. I would get this again if my local shop would consider putting this on its shelves again.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

From a 22 oz. bottle and poured into a pint glass. Left Hand certainly made a terrific first impression when I brought their now-legendary Milk Stout into my home a year or so ago, and now I have found their version of an Imperial Stout.

Wake Up Dead has a slightly different aroma than some of the great Imperials that I have grown to love, and this is also true with the taste. Although it goes down fairly nicely, there is something keeping Wake Up Dead from tearing into the ranks of the best Imperial Stouts out there. I can’t really pin down exactly what factors into the pungency here, but there seems to be notes of cherry or some kind of berry fruit, and that gives off a slightly disappointing finish.

This is still a decent Imperial Stout, though, and especially at the incredibly low price I purchased it for.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured at 55 degrees into a Duvel tulip...bottled on 10/26/10.

A: Nice lacing, got better after breathing, etching shows nice yeast activation. Dark brown in color.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, slight coffee

T: Dark malts, slight bourbon and some residual yeast.

M: Solid carbonation, not too thick and easy drinking.

O: I was worried about this after seeing some bad reviews...my bottle date, at this duration, is solid...not a bad brew.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

I picked up a bottle of Left Hand's Wake Up Dead last week for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. The store had just got this in and the label art caught my attention so since this is one of my favorite styles I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 24oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it looks awesome and it's really eye catching, the name is also pretty cool. It poured a slight dark brown color that turned ruby red when held to the light and it had a finger and a half worth of tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some lacing. The color is pretty light for an Imperial Stout that makes this beer pretty average looking.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty light. It starts out with some some sweet malts that smell like they have a medium roast to them and they impart some caramel, coffee, and a slight butterscotch aroma with a little bit of cocoa powder. After that comes some sweet dark fruits that are pretty noticeable then comes some slightly earthy hops and a slight bit of alcohol. The aroma seems to be pretty average, there just isn't enough roasty aromas, for an Imperial Stout.

T- That seems to be pretty similar to the aroma but thankfully, it is a little more robust. It starts out with loads of dark roasted malts that have a high amount of medium sweetness that impart some roasty malt flavors and it had a pretty big cocoa powder flavor to it that seemed to take the place of the coffee that I picked up in the aroma. After that comes a pretty heavy dark fruit flavor with plums, prunes, and raisins sticking out the most. It had a sweet finish with a lower amount of bitterness with a roasty and dark fruit aftertaste, with the alcohol hardy showing up. The flavor was ok and with the heavy dark fruit aspect was a little different from most Imperial Stouts.

M- Smooth, a little dry, full bodied, and it had a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I would have liked a little more carbonation.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought it was good but when compared to other Imperial Stouts it seems to be just slightly above average. It had good drinkability, it was smooth for the style and the alcohol was hidden nicely, I think I could take out the whole bottle but I am glad I am splitting this with my brother. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, it had good balance between roasted malts and dark fruits and the alcohol wasn't that noticeable. What I liked least about this beer was the appearance and the lack of carbonation, it was just too light for the style and it needs a little more carbonation to it. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but it was a pretty good value for what it was, and I would only recommend this to people that like a big dark fruit aspect to their Imperial Stouts. This beer was ok for what it was but as a whole I thought it was pretty middle of road and it couldn't hold it's own against some of the best in the style. Left Hand is a pretty solid brewery but this beer fell short of being a great beer, but I still wouldn't mind trying the barrel aged version. In the end I could take or leave this beer.

Wake Up Dead from Left Hand Brewing Company