Wake Up Dead - Left Hand Brewing Company

Wake Up DeadWake Up Dead

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: elgiacomo on 05-04-2011)

SquidVicious, Mar 12, 2012

rjgbeeradvo, Mar 11, 2012

OldTime, Mar 09, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

From a 22 oz. bottle and poured into a pint glass. Left Hand certainly made a terrific first impression when I brought their now-legendary Milk Stout into my home a year or so ago, and now I have found their version of an Imperial Stout.

Wake Up Dead has a slightly different aroma than some of the great Imperials that I have grown to love, and this is also true with the taste. Although it goes down fairly nicely, there is something keeping Wake Up Dead from tearing into the ranks of the best Imperial Stouts out there. I can’t really pin down exactly what factors into the pungency here, but there seems to be notes of cherry or some kind of berry fruit, and that gives off a slightly disappointing finish.

This is still a decent Imperial Stout, though, and especially at the incredibly low price I purchased it for.

neckbracesub, Mar 08, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured at 55 degrees into a Duvel tulip...bottled on 10/26/10.

A: Nice lacing, got better after breathing, etching shows nice yeast activation. Dark brown in color.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, slight coffee

T: Dark malts, slight bourbon and some residual yeast.

M: Solid carbonation, not too thick and easy drinking.

O: I was worried about this after seeing some bad reviews...my bottle date, at this duration, is solid...not a bad brew.

BillHilly, Mar 05, 2012

Vylo, Mar 04, 2012

Troville1990, Mar 04, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

I picked up a bottle of Left Hand's Wake Up Dead last week for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. The store had just got this in and the label art caught my attention so since this is one of my favorite styles I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 24oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it looks awesome and it's really eye catching, the name is also pretty cool. It poured a slight dark brown color that turned ruby red when held to the light and it had a finger and a half worth of tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some lacing. The color is pretty light for an Imperial Stout that makes this beer pretty average looking.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty light. It starts out with some some sweet malts that smell like they have a medium roast to them and they impart some caramel, coffee, and a slight butterscotch aroma with a little bit of cocoa powder. After that comes some sweet dark fruits that are pretty noticeable then comes some slightly earthy hops and a slight bit of alcohol. The aroma seems to be pretty average, there just isn't enough roasty aromas, for an Imperial Stout.

T- That seems to be pretty similar to the aroma but thankfully, it is a little more robust. It starts out with loads of dark roasted malts that have a high amount of medium sweetness that impart some roasty malt flavors and it had a pretty big cocoa powder flavor to it that seemed to take the place of the coffee that I picked up in the aroma. After that comes a pretty heavy dark fruit flavor with plums, prunes, and raisins sticking out the most. It had a sweet finish with a lower amount of bitterness with a roasty and dark fruit aftertaste, with the alcohol hardy showing up. The flavor was ok and with the heavy dark fruit aspect was a little different from most Imperial Stouts.

M- Smooth, a little dry, full bodied, and it had a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I would have liked a little more carbonation.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought it was good but when compared to other Imperial Stouts it seems to be just slightly above average. It had good drinkability, it was smooth for the style and the alcohol was hidden nicely, I think I could take out the whole bottle but I am glad I am splitting this with my brother. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, it had good balance between roasted malts and dark fruits and the alcohol wasn't that noticeable. What I liked least about this beer was the appearance and the lack of carbonation, it was just too light for the style and it needs a little more carbonation to it. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but it was a pretty good value for what it was, and I would only recommend this to people that like a big dark fruit aspect to their Imperial Stouts. This beer was ok for what it was but as a whole I thought it was pretty middle of road and it couldn't hold it's own against some of the best in the style. Left Hand is a pretty solid brewery but this beer fell short of being a great beer, but I still wouldn't mind trying the barrel aged version. In the end I could take or leave this beer.

StoutHunter, Mar 04, 2012

Zachtheporter, Mar 02, 2012

Lynn, Feb 28, 2012

seanmugs, Feb 27, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

Finally decided to open this 2010 bottle, expectations were high!
Pours a very dar brownish red, not quite the normal tar black from most imp stouts. Very nice and consistent head, minimal smell, dried fruits if anything.
Flavorwise I got thrown for a loop, hops and tobacco flavors, this is a stout? I liked it, but I'm a hophead, my husband who prefers robust stouts called this a dissapointment. To me it was an enjoyable, yet mislabelled brew.

yesferro, Feb 26, 2012

assman79, Feb 26, 2012

jlove5, Feb 21, 2012

jaidenjb, Feb 21, 2012

choover14, Feb 19, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance is black with a ruby hue. There is more than a finger of head that quickly dissipates, but leaves nice lacing in its wake. There is dark fruit in the nose of this offering. The taste is dry and roasty with the taste of raisins in the background. Finally, there is a mild alcohol finish to that is not unpleasant.

57md, Feb 18, 2012

olafphysics, Feb 18, 2012

scott2269, Feb 16, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Wake Up Dead, on tap at Pony Bar in NYC, served in their eight-ounce glass.

Appearance: Beautiful crown, a lady's finger of mocha-colored head with soapy bubbles. Good retention, great lacing. The customary black-chestnut color of a big stout, with a shiny auburn tone when swirling.

Smell: Subtle, almost non-existent (aka: "underwhelming"). Chocolate powder, a hint of spice. Musty hops. Chock-full-o'-nuts kind of coffee, you know?

Taste: Strangely funky, with bitter cold coffee upfront and again a spicy backbone. Spoiled milk, soy sauce and Modena. Hoppy-dry aftertaste that lingers in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Full body, medium flavor and carbonation. Not bad, but not great. Uncommon (for an Imperial Stout) dry, hoppy finish. Water, please!

Overall: Strange. Not so drinkable, not too pleasurable. More of a Black IPA, I would say...but it is at least better than the horrible barrel-aged version!

DoubleSimcoe, Feb 14, 2012

Tyrawlings, Feb 12, 2012

Spamsammich, Feb 11, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Had on tap recently @ the Biltmore in Newton.

Poured pitch black with a decent head into a snifter glass. Strong black licorice & toffee on the nose with a bit of smoke.

As expected with an impy stout, assertive flavors present in the 1st sip. Smoky, chocolate, very smooth. Bit of raisin in the aftertaste. Alcohol is well-hidden, this is a pretty drinkable beer @10% ABV.

Glad I tried this, I'd like to try it again some time.

SunDevilBeer, Feb 10, 2012

matt062286, Feb 10, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Served on-tap at Holy Smoke in Mahopac , NY.

Appearance is dark brown, tan head, some lacing going on. Its` nose contains brown sugar, licorice and caramel. The taste is some toffee, a bit of chocolate and roasted malts. Mouthfeel is medium-full. A good imperial stout, but nothing too special imho.

mltobin, Feb 10, 2012