Warrior IPA - Left Hand Brewing Company

Warrior IPAWarrior IPA

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: goindownsouth on 03-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warrior IPA Alström Bros
jmswry

11-23-2012 22:56:37 | More by jmswry
rquillin

12-25-2012 00:21:45 | More by rquillin
BeerBelcher

1.58/5  rDev -58.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was mightily disappointed with this beer. I've had good experiences with some Left Hand beers in the past (and think their Smoked Porter is quite good!), but this one was pretty awful. I believe from the packaging I have this year's batch, and this was a new item at Blacklick Liquor, but it was not at all hoppy. It had the taste of a either a stale beer (which I don't believe it was) or a fresh beer that had been badly mistreated. Appearance was OK - it was an amber color with a good head presence. But aroma was off - not cardboard-y/oxidized necessarily, but very malted-milkball tasting. It was grainy and slightly sour. Flavor was even worse. Flavor was lousy enough that mouthfeel became largely irrelevant. This was a drain-pour.

12-07-2009 15:58:40 | More by BeerBelcher
Floydster

2.03/5  rDev -46.9%

22 ounce bottle received as an extra in a trade with hopdog, thanks for sending this my way Steve, split with my dad tonight before I went for a stout as a nightcap, poured into my Duvel tulip glass, color is an orangish amber, 3/4 inch soapy white head that last a while and leaves some lace, aroma was nasty and had stale hops, dust, wet clothes, watermleon, and grass, flavor starts off a little dry but there is a weird sweet tinge to the hoppiness, middle is sweet malt and herbs, finish is more of the same with some citrus in the aftertaste, this had absolutely no balance and the hop flavors were completely off, mouthfeel is just weird with sticky, sweet, and dirty accents, medium bodied, moderate level of carbonation, taste lingered way too long, could not get through half my eleven or twelve ounce pour, hard to drink with the off flavors, not smooth, probably one of the worst fresh hop beers I have ever had, just had a real musty and clammy aroma, which made the flavor suffer, would not drink again, not recommended

02-24-2009 03:10:30 | More by Floydster
Torchiest

2.23/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured a 22oz bomber into an imperial pint glass.

Came out coppery, with a good-sized white head that took its time dissapating. However, it was surprisingly cloudy for an IPA.

Smelled pretty good, hoppy and citrusy like an IPA should. Nothing amazing, but nothing too objectionable either.

I thought I was becoming a fan of IPAs, but this beer tasted all wrong to me. It seemed okay at first, hoppy, bitter, some maltiness, but that all got shoved aside in a massive wave of grapefruit. I can tolerate a little grapefruit in an IPA, but there were no other discernable citrus fruit flavors. It was all grapefruit, with an even stronger, almost overripe grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel was on target for the style, with decent combination of crispness and body, but nothing spectacular here either.

Honestly, I couldn't finish the bomber. In fact, I had less than half of it. I wouldn't buy this again, but if you like grapefruit, this is your beer. I'll be avoiding any other beers that use Warrior hops in the future.

01-29-2007 09:17:26 | More by Torchiest
inspektor

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours an amber color with a 2.5 finger head

Strong hoppy smell followed by a hint of caramel

Surprisingly bitter and is a bit of a disappointment since the smell of the hops is actually stronger than their flavor. The bitterness outweighs the hops and there is also a strong malt flavor as well.

Mouthfeel feels a bit empty

Low drink ability due to bitterness

01-24-2010 21:59:08 | More by inspektor
phillipzayas

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

Left Hand Warrior

A - Reddish color. Slightly hazy, but not bad. Good and in range for this style. Good head retention.

S - Very citrusy sweet aroma. I even detect a slight maltiness in the aroma. Not my style though. I'd question why their particular use of the hop variety in this one. Almost smelled toasty or carmelly. Really odd aroma.

T - Unlike the aroma, it is hoppy, but I still get too much sweetness, and it isn't like hop sweetness. It is more malty, sweet profile. I know they get their hops for this beer from some specialty farm or something, but the hops they must have used seemed like they were musty or stale or something.

M - medium to medium-light. Carbonation is good. It is a little less body than what I like in my beer. I say it is just average.

D - I don't know how drinkable this one it. I found myself passing this one rather slower than usual for a craft beer. I couldnt really telly you what to pair it with either. I mean it's profile is more sweet than hoppy to me. But this is just my opinion.

I found this beer rather confusing and off palate for an IPA. I don't know how to really describe it. I just don't think I was terribly impressed with this beer. I usually am a fan of the Left Hand products, especially their milk stout, but not this time. I was really hoping for more.

It just didn't seem like this really fit the style at all. The flavor and aroma profile are the most important parts of the IPA, more probably than for any other IPA

01-11-2010 02:43:40 | More by phillipzayas
Cschmidt87

Colorado

2.33/5  rDev -39%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had this bottle in the fridge for a couple weeks now and decided that I should give it a drink!

Warrior IPA pours a slightly hazy amber color, leaving a .5" head that dissipates quickly leaving behind a good amount of lace. The smell is not what I would expect or want from a fresh hop ale. It smells mostly of sweet malt with ripe fruits and a slight piney and citrusy backbone. It also puts off a slightly funky almost "cheesy" smell. It tastes of sweet bready malts, followed by slight bitter hops, finishing very dry.

Overall I was rather disappointed, not only for a fresh hop but for an IPA. The "fresh" hops did not appear to have been as fresh as possible. The smell was lacking in the hop department, as well as flavor.

12-17-2009 06:47:34 | More by Cschmidt87
brewdlyhooked13

2.65/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance - a sunset orange-colored beer with a sticky cream-colored head. Lots of stick to the foam as it falls back.

Aroma - an opening hint of grapefruit and pine, fading rapidly. Some notes of sweetish grain and metal, not near what I expected or hoped for.

Taste - biscuity grain opening, overtaken quickly by the onslaught of highly bitter hops. Medicinal, harsh, acrid, too much! So intense, that while I pick up nuances of citrus, any subtleties are blown away by sheer alpha acids. Working through this is a bit of a chore, even with some lasagna and garlic bread. Ultimately, not that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - decent smoothness, a solid body, and with a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability - too bitter for me; I would not buy this again, however, those of you into hardcore bitterness may want to check this one out.

03-10-2009 20:01:54 | More by brewdlyhooked13

10-29-2013 00:02:19 | More by OGunner77
csiewert

Oregon

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

This beer pours a clear amber color with one finger of off white head that clings fairly well. Not sure if my beer was infected or what but the aroma is kind of off and rotten. The taste starts with a generic malt flavor and finishes with a strange hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is ok but it leaves a rotten aftertaste. Not a good beer in my opinion... Again, may have been a bad batch.

01-05-2011 04:05:31 | More by csiewert
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Found this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a thicker looking two finger off-white head with good retention. Clear with medium carbonation evident. Burnt umber brown or mahogany red in color. Head slowly fades to a decent film leaving some immediate lacing on the glass. A good film remains until the end and leaves some nice lacing down the sides of the glass. Good looking beer.

SMELL: A very mild nose. Too mild. Some pale malt and the wheat malt is noticeable as well. Some very mild citrus notes and a bit of soapy hops in the back. Not very impressive. Needs more punch in this category.

TASTE: Pale malt with noticeable wheat malt as well, which is unique for the style. A touch of citrus, but more piney that the nose had advertised. A good amount of bitterness and some floral notes show through at the end. Aftertaste is stronger and longer lasting with lots of pine notes and hop bitterness. The strong aftertaste was a pleasant surprise. Much better than the nose had indicated.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes with a bit of a scratch at the end. Finishes slightly dry on the palate. No need for a scratch at the end at this ABV. Could use a little smoothening out on the finish.

OVERALL: A decent beer, and certainly good looking, but not one I'll remember. The inclusion of wheat malt was an interesting twist, but something just didn't quite impress. The nose definitely needs some pumping up, and the taste profile could use some more at initial contact. This one could be described as a perfectly average experience with an aftertaste on gear. I'll probably skip this one and reach for their Milk Stout next time.

12-07-2009 15:32:27 | More by Jeffo
muttyd

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured aggresively into a Portsmouth tulip glass yielding a massive off-white head a-top a hazy golden amber body. Aroma is mellowed hops hidden behind a toasted/caramel malt profile. Hops are more citrusy/grapefruity in nature. Flavor pretty much follows the nose. Sweet, bready malts are cut with a slight/moderate hop bite. Silky mouthfeel with a rather dry finish. I really wish the hop flavor come through a bit more in this one. The balance between alcohol, malt sweetness, and body is all there, just lacking in that spicy hop bite that most would associate an IPA with.

05-20-2011 00:28:15 | More by muttyd
manahansf

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours clear and deep gold or amber in color topped with a lacy white head. The nose is faint and has hints of earthy hops. The flavor is tart, out of balance, and irregularly bitter. Slightly vinous in nature and finishes very bitter and very tart.

I expect more from Left Hand... perhaps my bottle was funked.

11-19-2009 19:45:11 | More by manahansf
kfsv034

2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

a - poured in a sam adams laser cut glass, cloudy and amber/carmel looking

s - the smell was great a fruity earthy smell

t - the taste was nothing like it smelled, instead of being hoppy it was very malty, in my opinion not a very good balance of hops and malt

m - felt like a big beer but obviously isnt

d - the abv suggests its drinkable...

11-10-2009 01:11:07 | More by kfsv034
OttoBomb

2.98/5  rDev -22%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (November 22, 2009).

Eyes: Dark copper color. Very small heady with low retention.

Nose: A good fresh mowed grass hop aroma, no malt undertone. Not complex, but pleasing nonetheless.

Tongue: Quite nice and hoppy, I can certainly taste the freshness of the hops, but I'm not thrilled with the overall flavor. This brew is somewhat one dimensional and just a tad too bitter to be great.

Mouth: Tart and metallic, the bitter aftertaste lingers despite the light to medium body.

Libation: It's a nice IPA, but I was hoping for a bit more from Left Hand. The fresh hop aspect really makes a good account of itself, but in other areas the brew is a bit uninspired. A good product, but I won't crave this offering in the future.

11-23-2009 07:05:12 | More by OttoBomb
ShanePB

11-18-2013 13:22:19 | More by ShanePB
Thehopluver

Oklahoma

06-22-2012 18:49:19 | More by Thehopluver
salvo

Indiana

Color is copper orange with an inch-thick cap of off white head. Smell is resin, pine, and some citrus (pine dominates).

Bitter, bitter, bitter beer off the tap. I'm not sure what it is about Left Hand, but I'm always wanting something just off what they're doing. The mouthfeel is little light, the color and clarity a little off, and the clawing bitterness will keep me from coming back to this one anytime soon.

10-31-2010 01:23:44 | More by salvo

12-01-2013 18:01:21 | More by NooseJustice
titosupertramp

Tennessee

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Dark, golden color with hints of red. One finger of white head. Good lacing.

S: Spicey and sweet. Different smell from most IPAs that I've come across.

T: Sweet and citrusy...almost overly sweet. It's not a total turn off though. Almost like a candy taste...weird.

M: Pretty average. Nicely carbonated.

D: Due to the sweetness, a bomber is kind of hard to get through.

Not bad. I may recommend this to someone who hasn't tried it yet, but I almost certainly wouldn't buy this again for myself.

12-11-2010 03:54:41 | More by titosupertramp