1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Warrior IPA - Left Hand Brewing Company

Warrior IPAWarrior IPA

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: goindownsouth on 03-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warrior IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 610 | Reviews: 368 | Show All Ratings:
BeerBelcher

1.58/5  rDev -58.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was mightily disappointed with this beer. I've had good experiences with some Left Hand beers in the past (and think their Smoked Porter is quite good!), but this one was pretty awful. I believe from the packaging I have this year's batch, and this was a new item at Blacklick Liquor, but it was not at all hoppy. It had the taste of a either a stale beer (which I don't believe it was) or a fresh beer that had been badly mistreated. Appearance was OK - it was an amber color with a good head presence. But aroma was off - not cardboard-y/oxidized necessarily, but very malted-milkball tasting. It was grainy and slightly sour. Flavor was even worse. Flavor was lousy enough that mouthfeel became largely irrelevant. This was a drain-pour.

12-07-2009 15:58:40 | More by BeerBelcher
Floydster

2.03/5  rDev -46.9%

22 ounce bottle received as an extra in a trade with hopdog, thanks for sending this my way Steve, split with my dad tonight before I went for a stout as a nightcap, poured into my Duvel tulip glass, color is an orangish amber, 3/4 inch soapy white head that last a while and leaves some lace, aroma was nasty and had stale hops, dust, wet clothes, watermleon, and grass, flavor starts off a little dry but there is a weird sweet tinge to the hoppiness, middle is sweet malt and herbs, finish is more of the same with some citrus in the aftertaste, this had absolutely no balance and the hop flavors were completely off, mouthfeel is just weird with sticky, sweet, and dirty accents, medium bodied, moderate level of carbonation, taste lingered way too long, could not get through half my eleven or twelve ounce pour, hard to drink with the off flavors, not smooth, probably one of the worst fresh hop beers I have ever had, just had a real musty and clammy aroma, which made the flavor suffer, would not drink again, not recommended

02-24-2009 03:10:30 | More by Floydster
Torchiest

2.23/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured a 22oz bomber into an imperial pint glass.

Came out coppery, with a good-sized white head that took its time dissapating. However, it was surprisingly cloudy for an IPA.

Smelled pretty good, hoppy and citrusy like an IPA should. Nothing amazing, but nothing too objectionable either.

I thought I was becoming a fan of IPAs, but this beer tasted all wrong to me. It seemed okay at first, hoppy, bitter, some maltiness, but that all got shoved aside in a massive wave of grapefruit. I can tolerate a little grapefruit in an IPA, but there were no other discernable citrus fruit flavors. It was all grapefruit, with an even stronger, almost overripe grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel was on target for the style, with decent combination of crispness and body, but nothing spectacular here either.

Honestly, I couldn't finish the bomber. In fact, I had less than half of it. I wouldn't buy this again, but if you like grapefruit, this is your beer. I'll be avoiding any other beers that use Warrior hops in the future.

01-29-2007 09:17:26 | More by Torchiest
phillipzayas

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

Left Hand Warrior

A - Reddish color. Slightly hazy, but not bad. Good and in range for this style. Good head retention.

S - Very citrusy sweet aroma. I even detect a slight maltiness in the aroma. Not my style though. I'd question why their particular use of the hop variety in this one. Almost smelled toasty or carmelly. Really odd aroma.

T - Unlike the aroma, it is hoppy, but I still get too much sweetness, and it isn't like hop sweetness. It is more malty, sweet profile. I know they get their hops for this beer from some specialty farm or something, but the hops they must have used seemed like they were musty or stale or something.

M - medium to medium-light. Carbonation is good. It is a little less body than what I like in my beer. I say it is just average.

D - I don't know how drinkable this one it. I found myself passing this one rather slower than usual for a craft beer. I couldnt really telly you what to pair it with either. I mean it's profile is more sweet than hoppy to me. But this is just my opinion.

I found this beer rather confusing and off palate for an IPA. I don't know how to really describe it. I just don't think I was terribly impressed with this beer. I usually am a fan of the Left Hand products, especially their milk stout, but not this time. I was really hoping for more.

It just didn't seem like this really fit the style at all. The flavor and aroma profile are the most important parts of the IPA, more probably than for any other IPA

01-11-2010 02:43:40 | More by phillipzayas
inspektor

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours an amber color with a 2.5 finger head

Strong hoppy smell followed by a hint of caramel

Surprisingly bitter and is a bit of a disappointment since the smell of the hops is actually stronger than their flavor. The bitterness outweighs the hops and there is also a strong malt flavor as well.

Mouthfeel feels a bit empty

Low drink ability due to bitterness

01-24-2010 21:59:08 | More by inspektor
Cschmidt87

Colorado

2.33/5  rDev -39%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had this bottle in the fridge for a couple weeks now and decided that I should give it a drink!

Warrior IPA pours a slightly hazy amber color, leaving a .5" head that dissipates quickly leaving behind a good amount of lace. The smell is not what I would expect or want from a fresh hop ale. It smells mostly of sweet malt with ripe fruits and a slight piney and citrusy backbone. It also puts off a slightly funky almost "cheesy" smell. It tastes of sweet bready malts, followed by slight bitter hops, finishing very dry.

Overall I was rather disappointed, not only for a fresh hop but for an IPA. The "fresh" hops did not appear to have been as fresh as possible. The smell was lacking in the hop department, as well as flavor.

12-17-2009 06:47:34 | More by Cschmidt87
brewdlyhooked13

2.65/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance - a sunset orange-colored beer with a sticky cream-colored head. Lots of stick to the foam as it falls back.

Aroma - an opening hint of grapefruit and pine, fading rapidly. Some notes of sweetish grain and metal, not near what I expected or hoped for.

Taste - biscuity grain opening, overtaken quickly by the onslaught of highly bitter hops. Medicinal, harsh, acrid, too much! So intense, that while I pick up nuances of citrus, any subtleties are blown away by sheer alpha acids. Working through this is a bit of a chore, even with some lasagna and garlic bread. Ultimately, not that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - decent smoothness, a solid body, and with a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability - too bitter for me; I would not buy this again, however, those of you into hardcore bitterness may want to check this one out.

03-10-2009 20:01:54 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Found this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a thicker looking two finger off-white head with good retention. Clear with medium carbonation evident. Burnt umber brown or mahogany red in color. Head slowly fades to a decent film leaving some immediate lacing on the glass. A good film remains until the end and leaves some nice lacing down the sides of the glass. Good looking beer.

SMELL: A very mild nose. Too mild. Some pale malt and the wheat malt is noticeable as well. Some very mild citrus notes and a bit of soapy hops in the back. Not very impressive. Needs more punch in this category.

TASTE: Pale malt with noticeable wheat malt as well, which is unique for the style. A touch of citrus, but more piney that the nose had advertised. A good amount of bitterness and some floral notes show through at the end. Aftertaste is stronger and longer lasting with lots of pine notes and hop bitterness. The strong aftertaste was a pleasant surprise. Much better than the nose had indicated.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes with a bit of a scratch at the end. Finishes slightly dry on the palate. No need for a scratch at the end at this ABV. Could use a little smoothening out on the finish.

OVERALL: A decent beer, and certainly good looking, but not one I'll remember. The inclusion of wheat malt was an interesting twist, but something just didn't quite impress. The nose definitely needs some pumping up, and the taste profile could use some more at initial contact. This one could be described as a perfectly average experience with an aftertaste on gear. I'll probably skip this one and reach for their Milk Stout next time.

12-07-2009 15:32:27 | More by Jeffo
csiewert

Oregon

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

This beer pours a clear amber color with one finger of off white head that clings fairly well. Not sure if my beer was infected or what but the aroma is kind of off and rotten. The taste starts with a generic malt flavor and finishes with a strange hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is ok but it leaves a rotten aftertaste. Not a good beer in my opinion... Again, may have been a bad batch.

01-05-2011 04:05:31 | More by csiewert
muttyd

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured aggresively into a Portsmouth tulip glass yielding a massive off-white head a-top a hazy golden amber body. Aroma is mellowed hops hidden behind a toasted/caramel malt profile. Hops are more citrusy/grapefruity in nature. Flavor pretty much follows the nose. Sweet, bready malts are cut with a slight/moderate hop bite. Silky mouthfeel with a rather dry finish. I really wish the hop flavor come through a bit more in this one. The balance between alcohol, malt sweetness, and body is all there, just lacking in that spicy hop bite that most would associate an IPA with.

05-20-2011 00:28:15 | More by muttyd
manahansf

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours clear and deep gold or amber in color topped with a lacy white head. The nose is faint and has hints of earthy hops. The flavor is tart, out of balance, and irregularly bitter. Slightly vinous in nature and finishes very bitter and very tart.

I expect more from Left Hand... perhaps my bottle was funked.

11-19-2009 19:45:11 | More by manahansf
kfsv034

2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

a - poured in a sam adams laser cut glass, cloudy and amber/carmel looking

s - the smell was great a fruity earthy smell

t - the taste was nothing like it smelled, instead of being hoppy it was very malty, in my opinion not a very good balance of hops and malt

m - felt like a big beer but obviously isnt

d - the abv suggests its drinkable...

11-10-2009 01:11:07 | More by kfsv034
OttoBomb

2.98/5  rDev -22%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (November 22, 2009).

Eyes: Dark copper color. Very small heady with low retention.

Nose: A good fresh mowed grass hop aroma, no malt undertone. Not complex, but pleasing nonetheless.

Tongue: Quite nice and hoppy, I can certainly taste the freshness of the hops, but I'm not thrilled with the overall flavor. This brew is somewhat one dimensional and just a tad too bitter to be great.

Mouth: Tart and metallic, the bitter aftertaste lingers despite the light to medium body.

Libation: It's a nice IPA, but I was hoping for a bit more from Left Hand. The fresh hop aspect really makes a good account of itself, but in other areas the brew is a bit uninspired. A good product, but I won't crave this offering in the future.

11-23-2009 07:05:12 | More by OttoBomb
salvo

Indiana

Color is copper orange with an inch-thick cap of off white head. Smell is resin, pine, and some citrus (pine dominates).

Bitter, bitter, bitter beer off the tap. I'm not sure what it is about Left Hand, but I'm always wanting something just off what they're doing. The mouthfeel is little light, the color and clarity a little off, and the clawing bitterness will keep me from coming back to this one anytime soon.

10-31-2010 01:23:44 | More by salvo
titosupertramp

Tennessee

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Dark, golden color with hints of red. One finger of white head. Good lacing.

S: Spicey and sweet. Different smell from most IPAs that I've come across.

T: Sweet and citrusy...almost overly sweet. It's not a total turn off though. Almost like a candy taste...weird.

M: Pretty average. Nicely carbonated.

D: Due to the sweetness, a bomber is kind of hard to get through.

Not bad. I may recommend this to someone who hasn't tried it yet, but I almost certainly wouldn't buy this again for myself.

12-11-2010 03:54:41 | More by titosupertramp
drink1121

3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

A- Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.
Pour an amber color with light lacing and a decent first head with little retention

S- Big malt smell for a Double IPA. Little hops, but the hops there are floral/light citrus

T- Again, big malt profile, not backed by much hops for an IIPA. very dissapointing. Slight bittering aftertaste

M- Creamy for an IPA, which isnt necessarily bad, just not normal

D- I gave 1/2 of my 1/2 (1/4) to my BA buddy kfsv034. The alcohol was well hidden, but I didnt really like it and neither did he, but he weighs more than me.

11-10-2009 01:17:05 | More by drink1121
ccrida

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Didn't realize this was a fresh hop beer when I bought it today, in Minneapolis, about 6-7 months after the hop harvest. Doh! Bought from a cooler in a bottle shop won't help that large time gap. Poured into a Schell's shaker pint, Warrior IPA is pale bronze with a small off-white head that leaves light lace.

Smell is sweet malt, stale citrus hops. Old IPA for sure.

Taste is the same, so not fresh, what the brewer intended, but really not bad. Phenolic.

Mouthfeel is drier, medium light bodied.

Drinkability is okay, but I'd wish I had it fresh. Probably not fair, but I bought it today, in the general region, so representative of what plenty of folks surely experience.

04-27-2011 03:51:52 | More by ccrida
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%

22oz brown bomber with pry-off cap poured in a pint glass. Looks slightly different than the picture. This one says "Brewed Once a Year with Colorado Fresh Hops" but I didn't find another option, so here it is. Purchased from Knightly Spirits in Orlando on our Easter Vacation.

Light copper - orange in colour. Off-white head is minimal on the pour and quickly disappears. No lacing to speak of. Minimal carbonation streams.

Aroma is faint, probably due to the lack of head. Sweet malts, caramel, citrus hops. Tough to pick up much.

Blast of hops off the start. Malts blend their way in during the middle, but provide contrast instead of balance. Interesting trait. Bitter hop finish. Herbal and grassy hops at the start with hints of citrus. Caramel and sweet malt contrasting through the middle. Maybe a little too sweet for me. Finish is herbal and grassy bitter hops. Almost a bit of a noble hop finish. As it warms, there is a bit of an alcohol bite toward the finish.

A little more watery than medium bodied. A little thin for what I would expect. Minimal carbonation.

This is an interesting beer. Not your typical run of the mill IPA. I like it, but I don't think I'd drink more than one at a time, or make it one of my regulars. Well worth a try.

07-18-2011 01:44:11 | More by Noxious26
cpetrone84

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

A-dark hazy brownish orange color pouring two full fingers of a light beige head leaving a deccent lacing

S-balanced smell, light toasted malt, some caramel, followed by pine and a faint citrus hop

T/M-a lighter body with a smooth mouthfeel and slick on the back of the throat with a light carbonation, the taste is of very bitter hops some pine and a faint touch of citrus balanced with a good bit of caramel malt.

D-i guess it is relatively drinkable but i was hoping for more in the hops department. it is pretty well balanced but the body seems thin and it really sticks to the back of my throat.

11-21-2009 20:43:46 | More by cpetrone84
Kkottonmouthkngz

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

Finally decided to start reviewing on a semi regular basis so we'll see how it goes. appearance is a fairly nice amber color, head is minimal and dissipates quickly. smell is pleasant with a little bit of sweetness poking through, although it is not prevelant and you sort of have to strain to get a good whiff. Taste is nothing short of average, and i feel fairly basic. It's not unenjoyable, just not anything that will knock your socks off. Hop presence feels slightly mute to me, but because of this mouthfeel and drinkablilty are slightly higher because if you wanted to just slug it back you could. overall not very memorable but at least i got to look at the cool artwork on the label while i drank it.

11-07-2010 19:49:43 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
Phelps

Arizona

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

This is a fresh hop version of Warrior, enjoyed in a half-pint at Papago's Hopageddon.

Perfectly clear pale gold. No impurity here. One finger of frothy white foam goes nowhere.

Not much to the nose. A little apricot, some grass, a touch of orange. Lots of caramel.

Tastes fresh, like young leaves. Also tastes light. New buds give the beer a soft, gentle baby-hop character. Touches of orange with apricot, a little caramel and very light biscuit.

The medium-light body is soft, with nearly no carbonation. Works well with the lightness of the flavor. Goes down like water.

Decent, but not memorable. A little too light. A gentle version of an IPA.

Serving type: cask

11-08-2012 03:21:45 | More by Phelps
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Thanks to Oxymoron for this bomber.

Pours out a clear copper color with a nice, frothy off-white head. Decent amount of lacing is left behind.

Grapefruit is the main player in the aroma. In fact, that's really all I can smell. A hint of pine and a subtle sweetness lingers deep in the darkness, but grapefruit is pretty much it.

The flavor is good, but nothing spectacular. Grapefruit quickly overtakes the caramel malts that show up first. There is some green, leafy bitterness towards the end, but again this is mostly grapefruit.

Medium body with a lower amount of dryness and bitterness than usually associated with an IPA. This one looked so good at the beginning but ended up being just an average IPA.

01-30-2007 16:37:40 | More by Imstillthegman
BeerZack

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Clear amber color with a big fluffy two-finger head that laces the glass as it goes down.

First impression is a spiciness- a real fresh hop grassiness thats kinda sharp and almost medicinal.

Not as thick and layered feeling as some (most) other wet-hop ales I have tried. Good heavy malts there to balance all the hops, a little sweet. The woodsy hops finish with a biting aspirin-like flavor that lingers.

Nice and creamy full mouthfeel.

Just not very drinkable with the sharp aspirin character appearing in both the aroma and taste.

12-16-2007 05:09:42 | More by BeerZack
brandoneast

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Golden huge, with orange highlights and a simple head. Smell is almost all grain little hops. Taste is minty hops that only hit in the back then coat up front - nice bitterness coat on the palate. Dry mouthfeel and not much here - where's my fresh aroma and hop experience?

01-09-2009 06:08:00 | More by brandoneast
LittleDon

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Clear amber with medium small bubble carbonation. Off-white dense head that subsided into 1/4 inch of lace. Weak somewhat nondescript aroma. Taste akin to aroma. Bitter, but not overly so. Somewhat bitter back of the palate finish. Nothing really stands out.

Having recently lived in Longmont, and as a frequent visitor to the tasting room at Left Hand, I was disappointed. I remember a much more complex beer on draft. Even though draft versions are typically superior to bottled, the disparity between draft and bottle for this beer is greater than expected.

02-22-2009 22:27:32 | More by LittleDon