Honey Raspberry Ale - Spanish Peaks Brewing Co.

Honey Raspberry AleHoney Raspberry Ale

Spanish Peaks Brewing Co. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2002

1.06/5  rDev -65.9%

This was probably the worst beer I have drank in quite a while. Upon opening the bottle (all 6 times sadly enough) the smell was like gone over fruit, not good. Pouring it there was little head, and was nothing special. The taste was again poor, the honey and raspberry were almost non-existant, and they interefered with the hops and malts.

I bought this on sale to try something new, and I would not buy it again, and would not drink it again.

1.25/5  rDev -59.8%

1.28/5  rDev -58.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Pours out looking like normal beer and a pink lemonade. Smells like lemonade candy, brake fluid and expired adjunct beer.

Taste, artificially sweet and naturally nasty, kind of like a Kardashian or other reality ___(deragotory name). No hops, some malt I guess, something had to give it the character that at least looks like beer at times.

Man they used to carry this stuff at Safeway in the desert. Glad they don't anymore.

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%

1.64/5  rDev -47.3%

A: Super deep ruby copper color. No head. No lacing. Fruit juice esque.

S: Awful fake raspberry smell. Like sherry you let sit in the sun for a month.

T: Wow. Epicly bad. Fruit concentrate. Not even a hint of anything approaching beer.

M: Like cough syrup. Not in a good way.

D: Drain poor.

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

1.94/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Color is a light amber. The beer itself is mostly clear. However there are particles of sediment suspended throughout the entire glass. They remain in place when you move the glass, so that it rotates around the particulate-filled beer. There is no head at all. Not appetizing.

S - The aroma is a very faint raspberry. I don't smell anything else.

T - The taste is not like beer at all. There is a vague chemical taste that predominates and then some overlaid raspberry notes. No distinguishable malt, hops or yeast flavors.

M - Thin body, a little carbonation fizz.

D - No thank you.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Okay, this is the last of the (known) not-so-good beers in the fridge for the evening...

A- Dark copper in color with ruby highlights. A little on the hazy side. Very minimal head

S- Smells like artificial raspberry syrup. Surprisingly, the honey does manage to make its presence known. unfortunately, everything that is characteristic of "beer" does not.

T- Ick. i think this may have been hanging out by the Wild Blue & partying 'til the wee hours of the morning. horrible artificially sweet raspberry with a hint of booze in the finish. that crap-berry flavors lingers in your mouth.

M- I didn't have the fore thought to analyze the mouthfeel along with the taste so now I have to actually drink more of this... thin to medium bodied. Very little carbonation. bad.

D- It only gets a 1.5 because if absolutely forced to it, I could drink this.

This beer pours a murky dark red color with orange hues around the edges. There is no head. The is a very unattractive looking beer. The aroma is of raspberry juice product. It is overly sweet, and way too strong. The taste is very faint, but has the same fake raspberry quality as the aroma. The mouthfeel is this with low carbonation. Overall, this beer is a drain pour.

2.08/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours an amber color with a think layer of white head, leaves moderate lacing. Smell is primarily raspberries and sweetness. Taste is of overpowering raspberries with moderate sweetness from the honey. No bitter taste at all. Light in body with far too much carbonation.
I am a huge fan of fruit beers, but this was not a beer that was complimented by the fruit tasting. It was overpowering with no taste of... BEER.
I will not purchase this again.

2.13/5  rDev -31.5%

A: solid, bubbly head, gold, opaquish.

S: Definitely has a berry/raspberry scent.

T: They do a good job of making the raspberry flavor, which rushes to the mouth, but it is just not my kind of beer. It's funny, even though you taste the berry, it tastes so watery, like it is not an alcoholic drink.

M: Very berry.

D: Light, and it is too sweet.

For a beer with such a distinct taste, it just doesn't seem like a beer because it is so watery.

2.14/5  rDev -31.2%

This beer does not accomplish what it set out to do. Weak flavors all around make this beer not worth the visit.

Appearance - Dark with a violet tinge. Very little head and no lacing.

Smell - Really funky...can't make anything out.

Taste - Weak raspberry with hardly any honey and a sour/bitter taste..

Mouthfeel - Funky with sharp fizz.

Drinkability - Not having one of these again.

2.17/5  rDev -30.2%

Because I need to lower my rAvg, 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I'm not sure how old the bottle is, but I got it on clearance, so...

A: Pours a moderately hazy tawny color. Great head on this one, a two finger offwhite shade with fantastic texture. Retention isn't great, but lacing is stunning.

S: Raspberry candy. Tons of general sweetness with an artificial 'kick' to it as expected. A hint of wheat malt tries to come through, and almost does.

T: Fruity sweetness to start, before rounding out to a nondescript wheat finish. The chemical character is a bit pervasive in general. Still, it manages to be extremely bland instead of actively offensive. Congrats, I suppose?

M: Not as carbonated as I anticipated, but it goes down easily enough. Still, the chemical astringency on the finish needs to go.

O: Meh.

2.19/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours burnished copper. Head is white and foamy; dissipates quickly to a thin soapy sheen.

Aroma is extremely sweet with artificial sweetner. It does not smell like real honey or raspberry.

Taste is sweet artificial raspberry up front. Flavor turns rather tart and sugary in the finish. No hops or malt to speak of.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and smooth.

This is not quite beer in my opinion. Artificial raspberry flavoring is overpowering and distracting. I will not drink this one again.

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a huge and very fizzy head that sticks around for a while.

The aroma is strong sweet raspberries and honey.

The flavor is pretty washed out and watery with some acidic fruits and a bit of a metallic bitter finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a ton of sharp carbonation.

Overall, not a very good beer. I thought I might be pleasantly surprised from the look and smell of the beer. But the flavor is subdued, bland and a bit off and it's way too carbonated.

2.3/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

Pours a dark rose red-brown with a short-lives fizzy white head. Aroma is of raspberry jam, honey, and maybe a touch of malt. I'm usually not a fan of fruit beer that isn't a Lambic, so my hopes here aren't high. Taste is...ugh...raspberry Jolly Rancher and a bit of honey. Artificial and bland. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy, with a light body and sharp carbonation. This definitely didn't change my mind about fruit beers. Pass.

2.3/5  rDev -26%

Another in a line of fruit enhanced beers that falls way short.
The beer poured a light amber with decent head and carbonation. The head didnt last more than a few seconds, though.
The beer smelled of rasberry and really nothing.
Taste was also way below par. It tasted like carbonated rasberry soda. No beer characteristics showing through at all!.
At least my wife liked it so all wasnt lost.

2.36/5  rDev -24.1%

Oh, God, this stuff.

My dad threw one of these at me once, saying that he "couldn't drink it". My dad is also a Marine Corps, caveman-type who occasionally swallowed goldfish in college. Naturally, hearing "I can't drink this" from him was a bit of a surprise. "What have I gotten myself into?" I thought.

As I opened the bottle, I got even more suspicious. I've since learned that I'm not really into fruit beers, but back then, I didn't have a clue. All I knew was that the beer pouring out of this bottle was a nauseating, Alice-In-Wonderland type, purplish-pink color, exuding odd, berry-scented wafts. This beer smells like Willy Wonka's bedroom after a fruit orgy.

As I took my first sip, my eyes widened. The beer had the consistency and flavor of a thick, fruity, alcoholic syrup, permeating every corner of my mouth. I couldn't swallow. I simply held the beer in my mouth, marveling at the strange horror I had unraveled. After a few seconds, I gulped the beer down, unable to mask the feeling that it was something truly alive, crawling down my throat in an ecstatic, fermented daze. Every sip was the same, until the beer was gone. The dog on the label gazed into my soul, mocking me.

This is, hands down, the most awful beer I've ever had. If you don't buy it at least once, if only to experience it, you are the worst type of coward.

2.38/5  rDev -23.5%

I can't beleive I use to buy six packs of this stuff back in the day. I guess that was before I liked the taste of beer. It pours an copper/amber and doesn't have much of a tan head. The nose is grainy with a little raspberry syrup and clove honey. The taste is really light with some corny malts and sweet flavoring. Light body with decent carbonation. Not the best example of the style.

2.4/5  rDev -22.8%

A- very thin almost transparent cap with no sediment.

S- smells like a chapstick brand chapstick if they made raspberry. Very fake raspberry smell, and thin too.

T- Awfully thin on taste, with really no honey, but again the huge chapstick taste comes through, with again, a chapstick finish.

M- low/medium carbonation, odd finish.

D- If I want raspberry, I'll grab a lambic. I will not drink this one again.

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz picked up sometime last week at the Coop for about $1.30.. poured into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head drops leaving descent lacing.. brew is clear honey gold.

Alot of raspberry in the aroma.. background pale malts.. but the fruitiness is the main component.. it very much strikes me as an artificial raspberry ... perfumy .. too perfumy.

Flavor tastes of artificial chemically fruitiness.. Reminds me of a grandmothers cheap perfume.. fairly sweet .. not much else to pick out.. the fruitiness overwhelms everything else. Light mouthfeel and abundant carbonation.

Enough of this one .. down the drain you go.

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

12oz bottle poured into Flying Fish pint glass. Choice of the wife to give a try.

A: Hazy, sediment filled and honey orange color. Thick and creamy over bubbling head.

S: A combination of Ny Quil and Robitussin minus the alcohol. This is really really bad. Tartness the only redeeming quality, wish it had something to it.

T: Fake and sweet, the tartness is blatantly artificial. No honey to speak of. Not good. If you hunt for the malts, they are there but surely not a wheaty character to it at all.

M: Thin and even though it bubbled like silly, there was not much carbonation on the tongue.

D: Im sorry, this is just not good.

Honey Raspberry Ale from Spanish Peaks Brewing Co.