Honey Raspberry Ale - Spanish Peaks Brewing Co.

Honey Raspberry AleHoney Raspberry Ale

Spanish Peaks Brewing Co. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2002

1.06/5  rDev -66.1%

This was probably the worst beer I have drank in quite a while. Upon opening the bottle (all 6 times sadly enough) the smell was like gone over fruit, not good. Pouring it there was little head, and was nothing special. The taste was again poor, the honey and raspberry were almost non-existant, and they interefered with the hops and malts.

I bought this on sale to try something new, and I would not buy it again, and would not drink it again. (446 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -59.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Pours out looking like normal beer and a pink lemonade. Smells like lemonade candy, brake fluid and expired adjunct beer.

Taste, artificially sweet and naturally nasty, kind of like a Kardashian or other reality ___(deragotory name). No hops, some malt I guess, something had to give it the character that at least looks like beer at times.

Man they used to carry this stuff at Safeway in the desert. Glad they don't anymore. (427 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -47.6%

A: Super deep ruby copper color. No head. No lacing. Fruit juice esque.

S: Awful fake raspberry smell. Like sherry you let sit in the sun for a month.

T: Wow. Epicly bad. Fruit concentrate. Not even a hint of anything approaching beer.

M: Like cough syrup. Not in a good way.

D: Drain poor. (294 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -38%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Color is a light amber. The beer itself is mostly clear. However there are particles of sediment suspended throughout the entire glass. They remain in place when you move the glass, so that it rotates around the particulate-filled beer. There is no head at all. Not appetizing.

S - The aroma is a very faint raspberry. I don't smell anything else.

T - The taste is not like beer at all. There is a vague chemical taste that predominates and then some overlaid raspberry notes. No distinguishable malt, hops or yeast flavors.

M - Thin body, a little carbonation fizz.

D - No thank you. (640 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Okay, this is the last of the (known) not-so-good beers in the fridge for the evening...

A- Dark copper in color with ruby highlights. A little on the hazy side. Very minimal head

S- Smells like artificial raspberry syrup. Surprisingly, the honey does manage to make its presence known. unfortunately, everything that is characteristic of "beer" does not.

T- Ick. i think this may have been hanging out by the Wild Blue & partying 'til the wee hours of the morning. horrible artificially sweet raspberry with a hint of booze in the finish. that crap-berry flavors lingers in your mouth.

M- I didn't have the fore thought to analyze the mouthfeel along with the taste so now I have to actually drink more of this... thin to medium bodied. Very little carbonation. bad.

D- It only gets a 1.5 because if absolutely forced to it, I could drink this. (850 characters)

This beer pours a murky dark red color with orange hues around the edges. There is no head. The is a very unattractive looking beer. The aroma is of raspberry juice product. It is overly sweet, and way too strong. The taste is very faint, but has the same fake raspberry quality as the aroma. The mouthfeel is this with low carbonation. Overall, this beer is a drain pour. (372 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours an amber color with a think layer of white head, leaves moderate lacing. Smell is primarily raspberries and sweetness. Taste is of overpowering raspberries with moderate sweetness from the honey. No bitter taste at all. Light in body with far too much carbonation.
I am a huge fan of fruit beers, but this was not a beer that was complimented by the fruit tasting. It was overpowering with no taste of... BEER.
I will not purchase this again. (450 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -31.9%

A: solid, bubbly head, gold, opaquish.

S: Definitely has a berry/raspberry scent.

T: They do a good job of making the raspberry flavor, which rushes to the mouth, but it is just not my kind of beer. It's funny, even though you taste the berry, it tastes so watery, like it is not an alcoholic drink.

M: Very berry.

D: Light, and it is too sweet.

For a beer with such a distinct taste, it just doesn't seem like a beer because it is so watery. (447 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -31.6%

This beer does not accomplish what it set out to do. Weak flavors all around make this beer not worth the visit.

Appearance - Dark with a violet tinge. Very little head and no lacing.

Smell - Really funky...can't make anything out.

Taste - Weak raspberry with hardly any honey and a sour/bitter taste..

Mouthfeel - Funky with sharp fizz.

Drinkability - Not having one of these again. (388 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -30.7%

Because I need to lower my rAvg, 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I'm not sure how old the bottle is, but I got it on clearance, so...

A: Pours a moderately hazy tawny color. Great head on this one, a two finger offwhite shade with fantastic texture. Retention isn't great, but lacing is stunning.

S: Raspberry candy. Tons of general sweetness with an artificial 'kick' to it as expected. A hint of wheat malt tries to come through, and almost does.

T: Fruity sweetness to start, before rounding out to a nondescript wheat finish. The chemical character is a bit pervasive in general. Still, it manages to be extremely bland instead of actively offensive. Congrats, I suppose?

M: Not as carbonated as I anticipated, but it goes down easily enough. Still, the chemical astringency on the finish needs to go.

O: Meh. (825 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -30%

Pours burnished copper. Head is white and foamy; dissipates quickly to a thin soapy sheen.

Aroma is extremely sweet with artificial sweetner. It does not smell like real honey or raspberry.

Taste is sweet artificial raspberry up front. Flavor turns rather tart and sugary in the finish. No hops or malt to speak of.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and smooth.

This is not quite beer in my opinion. Artificial raspberry flavoring is overpowering and distracting. I will not drink this one again. (501 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a huge and very fizzy head that sticks around for a while.

The aroma is strong sweet raspberries and honey.

The flavor is pretty washed out and watery with some acidic fruits and a bit of a metallic bitter finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a ton of sharp carbonation.

Overall, not a very good beer. I thought I might be pleasantly surprised from the look and smell of the beer. But the flavor is subdued, bland and a bit off and it's way too carbonated. (511 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

Pours a dark rose red-brown with a short-lives fizzy white head. Aroma is of raspberry jam, honey, and maybe a touch of malt. I'm usually not a fan of fruit beer that isn't a Lambic, so my hopes here aren't high. Taste is...ugh...raspberry Jolly Rancher and a bit of honey. Artificial and bland. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy, with a light body and sharp carbonation. This definitely didn't change my mind about fruit beers. Pass. (468 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Another in a line of fruit enhanced beers that falls way short.
The beer poured a light amber with decent head and carbonation. The head didnt last more than a few seconds, though.
The beer smelled of rasberry and really nothing.
Taste was also way below par. It tasted like carbonated rasberry soda. No beer characteristics showing through at all!.
At least my wife liked it so all wasnt lost. (398 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -24.6%

Oh, God, this stuff.

My dad threw one of these at me once, saying that he "couldn't drink it". My dad is also a Marine Corps, caveman-type who occasionally swallowed goldfish in college. Naturally, hearing "I can't drink this" from him was a bit of a surprise. "What have I gotten myself into?" I thought.

As I opened the bottle, I got even more suspicious. I've since learned that I'm not really into fruit beers, but back then, I didn't have a clue. All I knew was that the beer pouring out of this bottle was a nauseating, Alice-In-Wonderland type, purplish-pink color, exuding odd, berry-scented wafts. This beer smells like Willy Wonka's bedroom after a fruit orgy.

As I took my first sip, my eyes widened. The beer had the consistency and flavor of a thick, fruity, alcoholic syrup, permeating every corner of my mouth. I couldn't swallow. I simply held the beer in my mouth, marveling at the strange horror I had unraveled. After a few seconds, I gulped the beer down, unable to mask the feeling that it was something truly alive, crawling down my throat in an ecstatic, fermented daze. Every sip was the same, until the beer was gone. The dog on the label gazed into my soul, mocking me.

This is, hands down, the most awful beer I've ever had. If you don't buy it at least once, if only to experience it, you are the worst type of coward. (1,353 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -24%

I can't beleive I use to buy six packs of this stuff back in the day. I guess that was before I liked the taste of beer. It pours an copper/amber and doesn't have much of a tan head. The nose is grainy with a little raspberry syrup and clove honey. The taste is really light with some corny malts and sweet flavoring. Light body with decent carbonation. Not the best example of the style. (388 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -23.3%

A- very thin almost transparent cap with no sediment.

S- smells like a chapstick brand chapstick if they made raspberry. Very fake raspberry smell, and thin too.

T- Awfully thin on taste, with really no honey, but again the huge chapstick taste comes through, with again, a chapstick finish.

M- low/medium carbonation, odd finish.

D- If I want raspberry, I'll grab a lambic. I will not drink this one again. (412 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -23%

12 oz picked up sometime last week at the Coop for about $1.30.. poured into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head drops leaving descent lacing.. brew is clear honey gold.

Alot of raspberry in the aroma.. background pale malts.. but the fruitiness is the main component.. it very much strikes me as an artificial raspberry ... perfumy .. too perfumy.

Flavor tastes of artificial chemically fruitiness.. Reminds me of a grandmothers cheap perfume.. fairly sweet .. not much else to pick out.. the fruitiness overwhelms everything else. Light mouthfeel and abundant carbonation.

Enough of this one .. down the drain you go. (622 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -23%

12oz bottle poured into Flying Fish pint glass. Choice of the wife to give a try.

A: Hazy, sediment filled and honey orange color. Thick and creamy over bubbling head.

S: A combination of Ny Quil and Robitussin minus the alcohol. This is really really bad. Tartness the only redeeming quality, wish it had something to it.

T: Fake and sweet, the tartness is blatantly artificial. No honey to speak of. Not good. If you hunt for the malts, they are there but surely not a wheaty character to it at all.

M: Thin and even though it bubbled like silly, there was not much carbonation on the tongue.

D: Im sorry, this is just not good. (636 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -22.4%

When first poured, this beer had a nice brownish-red glow, and the first sip was reasonably enjoyable, but things went downhill from there. The beer looked tired and deflated after a few minutes. It had no lacing, no head, little carbonation, and the color looked paler. The tastes of honey and raspberry became too dominant and grew more and more offensive with each sip. It's like the flavors were there to mask a fundementally bad brew. Don't bother. (453 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

A- pours a slightly hazy tarnished copper color with a creamy lather of lightly buff tinted foam. not much lace on the glass but what is left behind is sporadic and intricate. some very fine minute bubbles rise in loose chains and the head falls fast into a thin disk. half way through the beer there is almost no foam left.

S- a fresh crushed raspberry aroma dominates the bouquet. a slight floral honey sweetness can be appreciated as well as some pale malt but mostly just berries. i absolutely abhor artificial fruit tastes in beer so i hope the flavor lives up to the aroma.

T- hrmm. odd artificial raspberry taste and very grassy hops over top pf the honey make for the taste of diet soda or artificial sweetener. only a small amount of bland lightly toasted malt makes its way to my taste buds along with some toasted wheat and well water.

MF- the honey and berry extract give this one a bit of a cloying feel, and the noble hop dominance has an astringent feel to it. not the best combination in my opinion. it is rather light bodied and refreshing however with above medium carbonation and would be better suited as a thirst quencher rather than a sipper.

D- for me this one will be tough to finish considering its overly sweet artificial candied cookie taste. perhaps a little more of the cascade or other robust american hops would do this beer some good, but that's just my amateur opinion. (1,406 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Spanish Peaks- Honey Raspberry Ale

Appearance- Light copper with no head.
Smell- Strong raspberry and breakfest pancake honey.
Taste- Light raspberry flavor mixed with a creamy vanilla malt. Hints of honey throughout. Tsted like cream soda.
Mouthfeel- flat and bland. Flavor is weak.

Overall- A boring beer. Flavor needs to be intensified 2 fold. (355 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a brownish/amber color with a superthin head. Aroma is all raspberry and honey, all the time. I can't really smell much else beyond both. Taste is , you guessed it, honey and raspberry with some bitterness on the tongue. The label claims that they use real raspberries.

While I'm not a fan of most fruit beers, there's nothing wrong trying to find at least one that I'd like. However, this one just isn't that. The raspberry and honey overpower everything else in the beer. I can't taste much malt. (506 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small pint glass.

A--very light brown color with a weak white head.

S--raspberry

T--raspberry

M--raspberry

D--Raspberry. This is all about raspberry and very little about beer. There is no beer flavor here to speak of. Credit to the brewer is that the flavor is of very fresh of the bush raspberries. However, if I were drinking this, one couldn't tell me that this was actually beer. However, if you really like raspberries, this is your thing. (485 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%

A - Poured out an amber/red color with a white, bubbly, one-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of tons of raspberry! There was a hint of honey aroma.

T - It tasted strongly of raspberry with some honey. There was some malt and it was very sweet. The sweetness tended to subside as it warmed.

M - It was soft and a light-bodied beer.

D - Too much raspberry. It really tasted like something other than a beer. (429 characters)

Honey Raspberry Ale from Spanish Peaks Brewing Co.