Wild At Heart - Brewery Ommegang

good

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Phillyz on 10-31-2013)

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a pastel and soft yellow with a slight orange blush . Hazy and with a creamy head of off white foam that fell slowly and left a thin layer on top. Nose is a bit of lemon peel and powdery floral. A touch of malt sweetness and hardly any funk at all. it's earthy but it does have a scent I cannot identify. When I first smelled it I wanted to say toasted. It's faint but it's there. Taste is sweet and malty with a mish mosh of fruit from citrus and tropical combined. It's got a touch of something sour on the palate. It's dry and earthy and it has ample carbonation but it is not lively or buoyant on the palate. I am missing a funky brett presence, any kind of juicy/tantalizing acidity and frankly the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy. It is not very well defined in the drink and drinks with a bit of difficulty and some effort as it is tremendously sweet. Finishes dry but sticky and with some hop presence in the finish that is a little bit of bitterness. A bit of a disappointment. This actually drank very much better as it came to room temperature.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours out a nice copper color with a nice large off white head. The head does seem to take it's time dissipating. Seems to be a lot of bubbles coming up from the bottom of my Duvel glass.

Starts out sweet and malty. There's lemon, and something funky I can't quite put my finger on, but sort of reminding me of the smell of raw bread dough.

Nice and fruity up front, mainly getting apple, citrus, and pineapple. The sweetness gives way to a hop bitterness at the end, leaving some lingering bitterness on the tongue.

Fairly solid feel, the high carbonation makes itself known.

I have to say up front that wild ales are one of my least favorite styles. I have had some that were so tart that I couldn't drink much of them. What some see as a weakness in this beer, the lack of tartness, I see as a positive. It actually reminds me a bit of a triple, although lacks the spice that style has. I enjoyed the blend of fruit and hops in this, and had just a hint of funk to it, but not enough to overpower. Much more drinkable to me than others of this style I have tried.

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

Holy lord what a disappointment. I've been sitting on this bottle for almost a year, in proper conditions, usually the perfect timeframe for a beer of this type. Instead, I get a bready, slightly metallic, sweet saison-esque beer with next to no brett character. 100% Brett-fermented? I'm blown away by how bland and un-brett-like it is. Did this get pasturized? Where is the funk? Why hasn't it dried out? Why isn't it more carbed? To the guy below advocated to BA to give this beer a break, implying that the subpar ratings are due to the originating brewery being Ommegang than they are due to the beer itself being at fault, I advocate you lose the blinders and get with the program, your review reads almost word-for-word like the description on the bottle, which this beer blatantly fails to fulfill. Not a trace of sour. A zero on the tart scale, despite aging as the bottle requests to bring more acidity to the party. Aside from a passable appearance, this beer is a shell of what it is supposed to be, making it literally hard to swallow.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

people forget that ommegang has been at this awhile now, making some of the best and most authentic domestic belgian ales out there, and this one, while a deviation from their norm, is of that same impressive quality, and deserves better i think from the users of BA. to be fair, this is a batch one bottle here, and has undoubtedly developed over time. i am amazed how tropical it is in both nose and taste, especially in the finish, where a pronounced passion fruit tartness develops from the bretty esters and it just dries up and stays on the center of the tongue. awesome. what i dont like about this is the look and feel. not up to their usual level of carbonation, and a real missing element for a wild ale in my book. i want them to be fizzy and dry and really refreshing and prickly, but this one never gets there. can barley hold a head, and lags a little on the palate in terms of feel. i dont know how much age has influenced that, but it may be significant. the wheat base and combination of yeasts are different from the crowd, fuller bodied but clean, and zesty and straw-like from the brett, which still is just one of many flavor agents here. i think this is the perfect wild ale to introduce the style to those who have not yet arrived here. its got elements of other classic styles, tripel and saison come to mind, but its got the brett taking it to a new level. really well done, really nicely cellared by my brother, and a beer i am already looking forward to drinking again. ommegang still needs to be mentioned with the best breweries in the country i think.

2.95/5  rDev -19.4%

I recently drank this from a
Tulip glass poured out of a 22 oz bomber bottle. I noticed a Large 2 finger head that quickly dissipated with little to no lacing as I drank. There was a sulphourous aroma and a pale golden color. As for the flavor, I experienced a bready malt forefront with some pleasant lemony flavors. It was effervescent and had medium carbonation with a bitter and slightly sour finish. I liked it and think it would be a good introductory beer to the world of sours, however I wished for a more tart flavor.

Wild At Heart from Brewery Ommegang