Gnomegang Blonde Ale - Brewery Ommegang

to view more.
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 16
Reviews by otterbearfla:
4.09/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was great with pineapple

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Murky sunburnt lemondrop yellow, a foamy white head slowly calms to a frothy film. Random foamy lacing.

Aroma: Lots of bubblegum sweetness and yeast. Some banana and fruit sweetness.

Taste: Very much like the aroma, a banana and bubblegum backbone hold up most of the ale. A dry finish that has a bit of an alcoholic edge.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy, dry.

Overall: A bit too heavy for my liking but certainly flavorful in the true Belgian way.

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

Mainly yellow, with a touch of gold. Forms a large white head, and there are a lot of bubbles coming up from the bottom of my Duvel glass.

Heavy citrus scent from this, a bit like orange juice. I can also smell the Belgian yeast, those are the main smells I can detect.

Very Belgian in character. It has all the flavors I associate with Belgians, citrus, pepper, and that distinct flavor from the yeast. Has a bit of hop bitterness at the finish, and the alcohol is very well hidden.

Very smooth and solid, nicest feel I've had in some time.

Overall a really nice beer. I am a big fan of both breweries involved with this, and they did not disappoint. I can tell the influence of each brewery, and the combination works well. It does taste more like a triple to me, which is a good thing. Very much worth trying.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, what a great beer. Everything about this I like. The taste us super. I am not into all the different ratings for each category. I know what I like and thus I like. Not too many things I don't like from this brewery. Give it a try you will not be disappointed.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Splendid! This brew takes the relaxing easy hopped easy malt character of a traditional blonde/pale ale and ups the ante with 2x the ABV% and a corander spice note all its own.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle into stemmed tulip glass.

A- Poured a nice golden orange color, bright despite the bit of yeast sediment that made its way into the glass. A fluffy white head, almost 2f, holds up and leaves heavy lacing, soap-like.
Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Candied peaches, yeast, some citrus. Dry, very pleasant.

T- Belgian style yeast, some candy sweets, peach, lemon.

M- Seriously carbonated to full feel level. Tingly. Not as tart as others in the style. Dry, fruity finish.

O- The yeast strain drives this brew nicely. Flavorful and drinkable, a smooth 9.5% abv.

4.71/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A delightful beer! I've yet to be disappointed by Ommegang brewery. About as good an example of an American made Belgian style. Reminds me of Duvel. This is a real keeper and will become a staple of my beer repertoire. A great find!!!

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just what I expect out of a Belgian Ale. Complex taste with no off flavors. Easy drinker - you don't even notice the 9.5% ABV.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had with a plate of delicious cheeses and the beer definitely enhanced he cheese and the cheese helped balance the beer. You get that amazing ommegang fruity estery yeast character. Drinks like a sweeter tripel... But the sweetness really hides the alcohol well. Really nice. I enjoyed

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

Bright golden blonde, clear, with a medium level of head.
Aromas of lemon peel, orange zest, hay, fall leaves, fennel, wet walnuts and unsweetened caramel.
Flavors of lemon curd, citrus candy, apple liqueur, canned peaches, fried dough and a toasted coconut/salted caramel tone on the end.
The finish is not overly long, but crisp and refreshing, exactly what I wanted from this offering. Lemon pepper chicken, pan seared halibut, traditional dover sole or soy glazed sea bass would be awesome with this.
There is probably better Ommegang beers, but I like this one as the hot weather approaches!
Great quality and very good flavor... a typical Ommegang product.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm not gonna go too into this beer like all the other beer snobs on here I drink my beer at home straight out of the bottle or my stein
. So I've been wanting to get this beer for a while and finally had a chance to get it. By far the best blond I ever had. It's not too watered down like a lot of them are but its not too much of shitty fruity Taste. The only reason. I have it a 4.5 was because the after taste is a little too fruity for me. But with no beer snob comments and BS it's a good blonde beer period.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no freshness date) into a Libbey 16oz Munique elongated tulip glass.

A- A conservative pour reveals (at just above refrigerator temperature) a hazy, light orange/golden color with a massive 3-finger, soapy/rocky white head that sustains forever...taking a sip is the only way to force it to subside. (5.0)

S- Despite the absence of adjuncts (of which Ommegang is known), this is an immensely aromatic beer and highly phenolic...spice and bubblegum are immediate followed by slight banana, melon and tangy citrus (orange, lemon and lime). (4.75)

T- Yeasty/Bready malts up front quickly transform into a honey sweetness mid-palate. The sweetness does not linger long and finishes dry with a healthy dose of pine resin. Although not overly complex, the 9.5% ABV is non-existent in both the nose and flavor. (4.75)

M- Massive carbonation not only prevents any residual malt sweetness to linger, it increases the drinkability of this hefty Belgian Golden Strong Ale. Not surprisingly, Gnomegang sports a pronounced body...certainly on the heavier side of medium. (4.75)

O- Wow...the convergence of (Chouffe and Ommegang) yeast strains seem to have culminated in a monumental beer. Although I do not know the freshness of the bottle (of which I purchased at the brewery, so I can only assume it to be 3-6 months old...if not younger) this is one aromatic and flavorful Belgian Ale. Gnomegang drinks much like a hybrid between a Tripel (think Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde) and a Golden Strong (a la Duvel)...the former felt in the flavor & mouthfeel while the latter is reminiscent in the finish. Assuming this is now a year-round offering (12oz 4-Packs), this is something I will seek out on a regular basis. (5.0)

I poured most of a 12 oz bottle into my 10 oz snifter.

A: A murky amber with a finger of head and awesome retention. Clarity was a bit suspect for a blonde, but not unappealing.

S: Cotton candy and bubble gum, with fruits. Almost smells like a Tripel.

T: Candy and esters with a pear aftertaste on the back end. The high ABV is not really notable until you drink it.

M: Medium bodied, full carbonation, and very, very fresh. This is carbonation in a bottle.

A great beer, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it, and at this price level, it is not an economical purchase. What Ommegang does, they do very well, but they are a once a quarter brew for me, not my frequent drinker.

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very nice after taste to enjoy

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Starts out with a big head that lasts and sticks to the glass. Cloudy bright yellow.

Nose is kind of like wheat ale. Banana and spicy.

Taste is strong Belgian hops and malt. Spice, banana and orange peel.

Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated but smooth on the tongue. Plenty of alcohol in this one too.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%