Hop House - Brewery Ommegang

Hop HouseHop House

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: madtrixter787 on 12-14-2013)
4.25/5  rDev +13%

DustinSWB, Feb 05, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Brewery Ommegang's Hop House last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I think Ommegang's a pretty good brewery and I like hoppy Belgian style Pale Ales, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up, so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it's got that typical label layout for Ommegang and the shiny metallic like background makes it a little eye catching. It poured a nice hazy golden color that took on a nice golden orange color when held to the light with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice sticky lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart some nice floral and citrusy hops with the fruity citrus hops seeming to stick out the most and they impart a nice citrus rind, orange and other citrusy fruit like aromas. Up next comes the Belgian yeast that adds some nice banana, slight bubble gum and some pretty noticeable clove aromas with a little more citrus rinds in the background. Towards the end I get a grainy, sweet malt and wheat like aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the hops worked well with yeast.

T- The taste starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the yeast being the first to show up and it imparts all those Belgian yeast aspects that I got in the aroma, but they are lighter and don't stick out as much and it's followed by a grainy and slightly bready flavor. Towards the end comes the hops which impart those same floral and citrus hop aspects with the citrus fruity hops still stick out the most, but not by much and the hops don't seem to show up as much as they did in the aroma. There's a medium amount of bitterness that linger for a little bit with a grainy and citrus rind like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish the yeast and the hops showed up as much as they did in the aroma.

M- Smooth, clean, pretty crisp, a little dry on the finish, a little refreshing, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a pretty good example of a hoppy Belgian style Pale Ale, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style when It came to the aroma, but when I got to the taste I found it to not be as bright and vibrant as the aroma was. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little refreshing, not too filling, and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these but I might want to switch it up after that and I think it would make for a nice beer to enjoy in the spring time. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very nice and i liked how fruity and vibrant it was. What I liked the least about this beer was that that the taste wasn't more like the aroma, it just seemed a little too light and dull after that really nice aroma. I might buy a couple more bottles of this, but i'm not in any hurry and I would recommend it to anyone who likes hoppy Belgian Style Pale Ales. All in all I liked this beer, but I don't think it had that special something to set it apart and make it really memorable. I like the idea of a hoppy Belgian Pale Ale and I think that the citrus hops can work really nice with the Belgian Yeast. This isn't my favorite Ommegang beer and It's not my favorite Belgian Pale Ale. Nice work guys, this beer was pretty solid, keep it up.

StoutHunter, Feb 04, 2014

kmos27, Feb 04, 2014

MichaelAllenVT, Feb 03, 2014

KelsoSaaz, Feb 03, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a Chuckanut pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a two finger white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of citrus hops, mixed citrus juice and tropical fruit, bready malt and hints of Belgian spicing. Flavor is biscuit malt, citrus hops, light stone and tropical fruit, light Belgian yeast and spicing. Medium bodied. An interesting Belgian / American hybrid, with the hoppy pale ale taking the forefront, but with nice Belgian yeast character in the background. An interesting converse of a Belgian IPA with the Belgian character at the fore. There is an interesting earthy, peppery flavor in the finish that is probably clove interacting with the hops. A very nicely made pale ale with interesting flavors from both inspiring styles. I enjoyed this a lot.

LiquidAmber, Feb 02, 2014

IpaRay, Jan 29, 2014

Noelito76, Jan 28, 2014

craigdb, Jan 28, 2014
4.06/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Deep golden color with darker brown hues. Mildly hazy. Towering rocky white head is doggedly persistent. Foamy and clumpy lacing firmly affixes itself to the glass.

S: Floral hop aromas. Pithy citrus smells of white grapefruit and tangerine. Plenty of doughy yeast. Ghostly hints of white pepper and spice. Soft grain.

T: Yeasty with a white pepper and clove spiciness. Doughy and a bit earthy. Malts lend a bit of toasted crust. Hop bitterness is formidable. Grassy, oily, green. Flashes of grapefruit. Pithy and floral too. Clamping bitter finish with some grain and toast.

M: Medium bodied. Firm malt body. Hop oils. Crisp carbonation.

O: A little more bold, bitter, and rough than Fleur de houblon, and a little bigger all around too. The label offers a smattering of pairing suggestions, including pizza and burgers. I disagree. This is not a pizza or burger beer. At least not under normal circumstances. Some sort of creative 'artisan' pizza or burger maybe. I can see it meshing well with an arugula laden salad.

ryan1788a5, Jan 28, 2014
1.85/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

I have to rate this beer based on my preferences. While others may like this one, I found it to be horrendous. I couldn't even choke it down. The aroma was actually pretty good, but when I got the first sip onto my palate, it was defintely not for me. I actually picked up an overwhelming taste of cloves and I cannot stand cloves. It was such an overpowering taste that I had to give it away. If you are not a fan of cloves stay away. If you are a fan of cloves you might really enjoy this beer.

centurian62, Jan 27, 2014

bckayaalp, Jan 25, 2014

dmorgan310, Jan 25, 2014

LMH88, Jan 25, 2014
4.01/5  rDev +6.6%

Served in footed glass at Ale Arsenal.

Clear with heavy lacing. Great hops. Citrus peel. Bitter. The taste is engaging and interesting. Citrus heavy, with good carbonation and a Belgian-y finish. Belgian yeast is floral, spicy, and vaguely sweet. Finish is clean and lightly grainy. Very strong effort. Will have again. Highly recommended.

AgentMunky, Jan 25, 2014