Fire And Blood Red Ale - Brewery Ommegang

good

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kojevergas on 03-11-2014)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Ommegang's Fire And Blood Red Ale that my friend brought over to share with me, thanks Ben. I'm a fan of Ommegang, but I've never tried any beers from their Game Of Thrones series before and i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it goes nicely with the name and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on more of a red and crimson hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it and left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight candied sugar like aroma to it followed by the malts being the first to show up imparting a sweet malt, slightly grainy, caramel malts and some light brown bread like aroma. Up next comes the yeast which has that signature Belgian yeast aroma and it's followed by a very light pepper aroma that imparts not heat with a slight earthy earthy and vegetable like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the pepper showed up a little more then it did.

T= The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a really candies sugar like aroma and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma with caramel malts and dark bread like aromas showing up the most this time. Up next comes the yeast which imparts that same Belgian yeast aspect that it did in the aroma and it seems to be the flavors that sticks out the most in the beer. On the finish there's a really light earthy and slight vegetable like aroma with a lower amount of medium bitterness with a malty and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, I thought the malt profile was nice, but I wish the yeast was toned down just a little and more pepper flavor came through.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a Belgian Style Amber Ale, there's not doubt this is a Belgian style beer since the yeast seems to stick out the most in this beer and I thought the pepper aspect was very light and I would have liked it to be a little more noticeable. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, any more than that i think the yeast would start to wear on me and I would get bored with the other flavors, but I think this would make for a good beer to enjoy in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the malt profile, it was nice and it was what I would expect from a Amber Ale. What i like the least about this beer was the balance, I thought yeast came through a little too much and that the peppers didn't come through enough. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was nice to try, but I don't think it's something that I would buy again and I would say it worth a try, but I would recommend it as a great beer. All in all I thought this beer was solid, but with a name like Fire and Blood I expected a little more bolder flavors and as it stands the Belgian yeast seemed to be the boldest aspect of this beer. This is isn't my favorite Ommegang beer and it for sure isn't my favorite Amber Ale or Belgian Style Amber Ale. This was a solid beer and I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer.

04-22-2014 21:41:47 | More by StoutHunter

07-18-2014 05:19:38 | More by Photchkiss
MaddestHatter

4.53/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is just awe-inspiring. I had heard good tales told of Ommegang and its Belgian roots, but had never had the opportunity to try any of their offerings until I saw this at my local Total Wine. I was immediately intrigued at least by the novelty of a Game of Thrones inspired beer, but when I read that it was a Belgian style red ale with a good BA score and heard that it came highly recommended by the employee doing tastings of various other beers that day I knew I had to try it. This beer looks incredible. It pours an amazing dark ruby color and formed three or four fingers of fluffy white head that passed the rim of a large glass and did not even hint at disappearing until I myself drank the beer, which left gorgeous lacing all the way down. The taste was also something truly unique as it combined the malty profile of a very flavorful red ale with the unique taste of Belgian yeast, one of my favorite things about Belgian style beers. Altogether this is a truly unique beer which looks, feels, smells, and tastes incredible. Utterly beyond comparison.

07-17-2014 12:19:43 | More by MaddestHatter