Fire And Blood Red Ale - Brewery Ommegang

good

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kojevergas on 03-11-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Ommegang's Fire And Blood Red Ale that my friend brought over to share with me, thanks Ben. I'm a fan of Ommegang, but I've never tried any beers from their Game Of Thrones series before and i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it goes nicely with the name and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on more of a red and crimson hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it and left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight candied sugar like aroma to it followed by the malts being the first to show up imparting a sweet malt, slightly grainy, caramel malts and some light brown bread like aroma. Up next comes the yeast which has that signature Belgian yeast aroma and it's followed by a very light pepper aroma that imparts not heat with a slight earthy earthy and vegetable like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the pepper showed up a little more then it did.

T= The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a really candies sugar like aroma and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma with caramel malts and dark bread like aromas showing up the most this time. Up next comes the yeast which imparts that same Belgian yeast aspect that it did in the aroma and it seems to be the flavors that sticks out the most in the beer. On the finish there's a really light earthy and slight vegetable like aroma with a lower amount of medium bitterness with a malty and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, I thought the malt profile was nice, but I wish the yeast was toned down just a little and more pepper flavor came through.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a Belgian Style Amber Ale, there's not doubt this is a Belgian style beer since the yeast seems to stick out the most in this beer and I thought the pepper aspect was very light and I would have liked it to be a little more noticeable. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, any more than that i think the yeast would start to wear on me and I would get bored with the other flavors, but I think this would make for a good beer to enjoy in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the malt profile, it was nice and it was what I would expect from a Amber Ale. What i like the least about this beer was the balance, I thought yeast came through a little too much and that the peppers didn't come through enough. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was nice to try, but I don't think it's something that I would buy again and I would say it worth a try, but I would recommend it as a great beer. All in all I thought this beer was solid, but with a name like Fire and Blood I expected a little more bolder flavors and as it stands the Belgian yeast seemed to be the boldest aspect of this beer. This is isn't my favorite Ommegang beer and it for sure isn't my favorite Amber Ale or Belgian Style Amber Ale. This was a solid beer and I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours into my Ommegang chalice a clear deep auburn color with a nicely formed craggie light tannish colored atop that sticks like glue to the glass.Aromas of toasted cereal grain,light spiced phenols,and maybe a touch of vanilla.Quite dry on the palate with more spiced phenols,and mild nuttiness in the finish,the anchos don't provide much fruitiness but still a decent flavor profile.Not bad but not an overly complex beer,nice to to try another one of the "Game of Thrones" projects.

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Caution, treat the cork like you've got champagne here as the cork came flying out with an enthusiastic pop, then ricocheted of my thumb to find my chin and that was from a well chilled bottle. No harm done so moving on.

A lightly hazy, medium copper colored ale; the chill haze fades as it warms. The persistent head is creamy to rock, pouring about a finger think and leaving thick ropes of lacing on the glass.

A mix of lightly smokey, dried chile peppers and rye spicy notes dominates the aroma. There is a supporting Belgian yeast spice note and a caramel malt aroma.

The chile flavor is there but restrained with just a hint of heat. The flavor of the rye and nutty, graininess of the spelt almost dominate. There is a medium malt sweetness with a light hops bitterness. Some moderate fruit flavors are coming through that are somewhere around the orange, light fruit with some raisin territory. The finish is medium with a light chile pepper and smoke aftertaste.

A creamy, medium bodied beer with a strong level of carbonation.

Think of a Dubble blended with a rustic grain Saison and a light touch of smoked dried chiles. There is a lot of flavors in here but it does become overwhelming as the flavors are medium to light in intensity and well balanced.

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. The label has a nice description of the beer and it lists the abv at 6.8%.

Appearance: The body has a dark garnet red color with a light haze and a tall light tan head. The head builds up quickly and settles slowly. The head also makes some nice glass lacing.

Smell: Overall the nose is fairly light but I get some light malt with mild Belgian yeast notes. It’s mild fruity and funky come out more as it warms. I also pick up some mineral notes and some spicy vegetable like spicy notes from the Ancho chillies.

Taste / Palate: Up front I get mildly sweet maltiness bring bready and fruity notes across the tongue. Apple, red pears and plums stand out here. Mild spicy notes as well as yeast notes move in and add some dryness. The finish has more dry spice as well as some light hop bitterness.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber red with a lot of rising bubbles. Huge four finger off white head with good retention. Leaves a lot of creamy lacing.

Smell: A toasty and yeasty malt forward aroma with good hints of caramel and spices. Belgian yeast with hints of pepper, clove, and the added chilies. Toasted malt with hints of wheat, grains, rye, caramel, toffee, and biscuit. Fruit hints of banana, apple, lemon, grapefruit, and orange. Dark fruit hints of raisin and fig. Floral and earthy hops with hints of grass. A very solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a yeasty and toasty Belgian tinged red ale taste with big notes of spice and caramel. Upfront Belgian yeast along with notes of clove, pepper, and chilies. Sweet toasted malt with notes of wheat, grains, caramel, toffee, rye, and biscuit. Fruity esters of banana, apple, and dark cherry and raisin. Citrus hop notes of orange, lemon, and grapefruit. Earthy notes of grass. A pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation. Creamy, spicy, and fairly drying.

Overall: A pretty good twist on a red ale. Big Belgian yeast and spice presence with the red malt notes.

4.01/5  rDev +10.5%

I loved the last version of the Game of Thrones beers, I've never seen a single episode and guess what I'm still liking the Ommegang/HBO concept of teaming up for special release beers based on a TV series/movie like this. I've smoked Soprano cigars from CAO, why not a Brewery Ommegang Game of Thrones beer, look at the concept based on three different labels I've seen there is a connection to me for an amber ale brewed with ancho chilies to represent a fire breathing dragon from the series on all three labels.

Appears a deep muddled dark amber body with off white cream colored head layers up like a textured milk shake very thick and fine bubbled carbonation streams to the bottom of the glass.

Aroma has smoked chilies, deep amber bready qualities, cherry and fresh sliced green apple tartness...maybe hints of burnt wood and a slightly smokey chocolate character from the deep roasted amber malts.

Darrk bitter cherry skins hit with a fruit note, very much earthy herbal bitterness rolled into the yeast dryness, spicy black pepper and finish of controlled but vegetable heat of the ancho chilies creats a nice mix of flavors.

My suggestion is to start out cold and let it warm up to brighten up even more flavor aspects, very complex and well thought out beer from Brewery Ommegang. Super dry finish, hard to believe they added the chilies on top of the deep tree bark like earthiness I'm getting from the hops and spice combination available in this beer already, the heat is slow and low barely lights a flame on the palate but it's in the backend and evident with each burp I've let out...However I've had a lot of Mexican food today including a mango pico de gallo with serrano and jalapeno chilies so I'm not sure what direction the spice is hitting my palate. All I know is it's a different type of heat, well integrated into the flavors of the beer, I'm okay with it.

On the mouthfeel it does slap the palate around a bit from the super dry end of the spectrum, to bitter/tart dark fruits, and finished with the chilies in the nares and back of the throat there's multiple challenging aspects of this beer, but I'm a fan carbonation is super heavy like most effervescent big bottled offerings from Ommegang or any other Belgian style brewery who knows what they are doing.

Overall very impressive, a complex beer that makes it feel like something new that hasn't been done yet or all that often. A new style not overdone or done in a unique way adds to the excitement and rating of a beer for me quite a lot, especially if it's something I like to taste and talk about the next day as well.

Fire And Blood Red Ale from Brewery Ommegang