Fire And Blood Red Ale - Brewery Ommegang

good

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kojevergas on 03-11-2014)
3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark red with tons of tight small bubbles in the head. Lasts a long time. Smell a little briny and bitter... not my favorite aspect. Taste is nice, good malt, fruity, good bittering finish. Mouthfeel is medium, good carb, ok balance. Not a beer I would probably pursue again, but not bad.

srandycarter, Apr 24, 2014

erialbill, Apr 24, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Azeotrope, Apr 24, 2014

Paz8812, Apr 24, 2014

krome, Apr 23, 2014

campfirebrew, Apr 23, 2014
3.54/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours out with lots of foam. Hilly-topped head with a commitment to lacing. The beer itself is a dark red-amber. Very hazy with yeast suspension.

Belgian amber malt and yeast aromas. It has a dirty musty quality with some off-putting notes. Faint pomme and toast.

Musty malts with contributions from the spelt and rye. Not particularly fruity, but there are notes of apple and berry. The spiciness is shortcoming, as there is hardly a trace of heat and just the most sparing note of ancho. Maybe more like a whisper of smoke along with the spiciness of the rye. Reminds me a little of Scythe and Sickle, but not nearly as rewarding.

A decent feel. Soft and easy. Carbonation mostly escaped, but the body is good.

It's much better than when I had it on draft. Still, a very passable ale.

thecheapies, Apr 23, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

From tap to pint

A: Dark amber-red, almost brown in color. Poured with a small wispy head that doesn't last.

S: The bouquet is sweet and phenolic, with notes of oak and leafy wet hops, kinda dank. Alcohol is there but not overwhelming.

T: Cherry, berry esters right away, reminding that this isn't a traditional American amber. Sweet and malty, the hop profile is a little disjointed up against the Belgian yeast. Alcohol is there but not enough to break up the sweet aspects. Finishes long and sweet.

M: Kinda think and sticky for the style. Maybe a little more carbonation would make this more refreshing.

A decent brew, I like the idea, but the yeast and hops clashed a bit.

rand, Apr 23, 2014

Storm21, Apr 23, 2014

dankjohn, Apr 23, 2014

ttylicki, Apr 23, 2014

ChainChompsky, Apr 22, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

I got a bottle of Ommegang's Fire And Blood Red Ale that my friend brought over to share with me, thanks Ben. I'm a fan of Ommegang, but I've never tried any beers from their Game Of Thrones series before and i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it goes nicely with the name and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on more of a red and crimson hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it and left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight candied sugar like aroma to it followed by the malts being the first to show up imparting a sweet malt, slightly grainy, caramel malts and some light brown bread like aroma. Up next comes the yeast which has that signature Belgian yeast aroma and it's followed by a very light pepper aroma that imparts not heat with a slight earthy earthy and vegetable like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the pepper showed up a little more then it did.

T= The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a really candies sugar like aroma and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma with caramel malts and dark bread like aromas showing up the most this time. Up next comes the yeast which imparts that same Belgian yeast aspect that it did in the aroma and it seems to be the flavors that sticks out the most in the beer. On the finish there's a really light earthy and slight vegetable like aroma with a lower amount of medium bitterness with a malty and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, I thought the malt profile was nice, but I wish the yeast was toned down just a little and more pepper flavor came through.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a Belgian Style Amber Ale, there's not doubt this is a Belgian style beer since the yeast seems to stick out the most in this beer and I thought the pepper aspect was very light and I would have liked it to be a little more noticeable. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, any more than that i think the yeast would start to wear on me and I would get bored with the other flavors, but I think this would make for a good beer to enjoy in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the malt profile, it was nice and it was what I would expect from a Amber Ale. What i like the least about this beer was the balance, I thought yeast came through a little too much and that the peppers didn't come through enough. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was nice to try, but I don't think it's something that I would buy again and I would say it worth a try, but I would recommend it as a great beer. All in all I thought this beer was solid, but with a name like Fire and Blood I expected a little more bolder flavors and as it stands the Belgian yeast seemed to be the boldest aspect of this beer. This is isn't my favorite Ommegang beer and it for sure isn't my favorite Amber Ale or Belgian Style Amber Ale. This was a solid beer and I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer.

StoutHunter, Apr 22, 2014

dwtyler, Apr 21, 2014

mattreitz49, Apr 21, 2014

Sparty55, Apr 21, 2014
3.04/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours two fingers of head on a hazy straw colored body. Looks great.
The aroma is musty earth and leather; not really enjoyable.
The taste has a big malty start with some mild lemon bitterness to round it out, though it seems bland overall.
The texture is fizzy, higher carbonation and thin bodied.
It was okay, but not something to have again.

Fatehunter, Apr 21, 2014
3.84/5  rDev +5.8%

750ml bottle poured into tulip glass.

A: Pours a quite murky crimson-brown hue with a towering cream colored head that impressively lasts a long time and leaves absurd amounts of lacing behind as it settles. Head retention is nothing short of spectacular. I'm not usually one to rave about aesthetics, but this is a gorgeous beer.

S: Lots of fruitiness upfront, reminds me of apples and pears. A hint of spice: clove mostly and just a touch of chile pepper. A nice bit of earthy malts coming through as well. This is fairly complex to my nose, and I quite like the aroma.

T: A bit of a notch down from the nose, admittedly. Lots of bready malts in the forefront with some strong Belgian yeast flavors. Fruitiness is quite strong; fresh apple skins, pears, a hint of lemon and banana. There's a lot of spice in the middle as well—cloves, some peppery alcohol, I guess I'm detecting some of those chile peppers this is supposedly brewed with. The finish is a bit of apple, bread, and a nice wave of some hop bitterness. My main complaint here, however, is the aftertaste. It's a bit of a weird metallic alcohol flavor with some lingering yeast. It's borderline unpleasant. If you can get past that, the beer itself is quite tasty.

M: A very solid medium body. An effervescent, slightly strong carbonation definitely heightens the spice notes and really tingles the palate. A touch of creaminess, and just a notch below a silky texture. Drinks fairly easy. Doesn't finish too dry—leaves a bit of a coating on the tongue.

O: I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones, to say the least. I've unfortunately missed out on their previous themed offerings, so I made sure I didn't pass this one up. The style is admittedly not my favorite and it's not something I rave about, but I can appreciate how well done this brew is. There's some complex aromas, an above average flavor profile, all packed inside an easy to drink beverage. I'm looking forward to drinking the second half of this bottle as I watch the new episode of Game of Thrones!

ThePaintedGrey, Apr 21, 2014