Fire And Blood Red Ale - Brewery Ommegang

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a brandy snifter.

A - The body borders between crimson and sienna in hue. The head is both fizzy and frothy, and dissipates relatively quickly at first, but the last ring hangs around for some time.

S - Dates, caramel, and rooibos. Just a hint of smoke and peppery spice.

T - This beer has a very complex mix of flavors. Brown sugar, cinnamon, orange rind, and clove all intermingle. The hops are a tad underwhelming, but have a pleasant spice character. Then comes hints of earthy pepper spice from the ancho chile. When a bit of the spice catches some carbonation, you can really taste it. But most the of the time the spices are subdued. The finish has an fleeting smoky note.

M - Pleasantly medium bodied, with a notable fizz from the carbonation.

O - Better than I expected - especially for what is essentially a novelty beer. It is hard to balance the spice level in chile-infused beers, but I wish the ancho was a bit more pronounced. Ommegang deserves credit for taking risks with the Game of Thrones brews. The artwork on the bottles is pretty cool, too. However, one of these was enough for me!

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark red with tons of tight small bubbles in the head. Lasts a long time. Smell a little briny and bitter... not my favorite aspect. Taste is nice, good malt, fruity, good bittering finish. Mouthfeel is medium, good carb, ok balance. Not a beer I would probably pursue again, but not bad.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours out with lots of foam. Hilly-topped head with a commitment to lacing. The beer itself is a dark red-amber. Very hazy with yeast suspension.

Belgian amber malt and yeast aromas. It has a dirty musty quality with some off-putting notes. Faint pomme and toast.

Musty malts with contributions from the spelt and rye. Not particularly fruity, but there are notes of apple and berry. The spiciness is shortcoming, as there is hardly a trace of heat and just the most sparing note of ancho. Maybe more like a whisper of smoke along with the spiciness of the rye. Reminds me a little of Scythe and Sickle, but not nearly as rewarding.

A decent feel. Soft and easy. Carbonation mostly escaped, but the body is good.

It's much better than when I had it on draft. Still, a very passable ale.

3.42/5  rDev -6%

From tap to pint

A: Dark amber-red, almost brown in color. Poured with a small wispy head that doesn't last.

S: The bouquet is sweet and phenolic, with notes of oak and leafy wet hops, kinda dank. Alcohol is there but not overwhelming.

T: Cherry, berry esters right away, reminding that this isn't a traditional American amber. Sweet and malty, the hop profile is a little disjointed up against the Belgian yeast. Alcohol is there but not enough to break up the sweet aspects. Finishes long and sweet.

M: Kinda think and sticky for the style. Maybe a little more carbonation would make this more refreshing.

A decent brew, I like the idea, but the yeast and hops clashed a bit.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Ommegang's Fire And Blood Red Ale that my friend brought over to share with me, thanks Ben. I'm a fan of Ommegang, but I've never tried any beers from their Game Of Thrones series before and i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it goes nicely with the name and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on more of a red and crimson hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it and left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight candied sugar like aroma to it followed by the malts being the first to show up imparting a sweet malt, slightly grainy, caramel malts and some light brown bread like aroma. Up next comes the yeast which has that signature Belgian yeast aroma and it's followed by a very light pepper aroma that imparts not heat with a slight earthy earthy and vegetable like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the pepper showed up a little more then it did.

T= The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a really candies sugar like aroma and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma with caramel malts and dark bread like aromas showing up the most this time. Up next comes the yeast which imparts that same Belgian yeast aspect that it did in the aroma and it seems to be the flavors that sticks out the most in the beer. On the finish there's a really light earthy and slight vegetable like aroma with a lower amount of medium bitterness with a malty and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, I thought the malt profile was nice, but I wish the yeast was toned down just a little and more pepper flavor came through.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a Belgian Style Amber Ale, there's not doubt this is a Belgian style beer since the yeast seems to stick out the most in this beer and I thought the pepper aspect was very light and I would have liked it to be a little more noticeable. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, any more than that i think the yeast would start to wear on me and I would get bored with the other flavors, but I think this would make for a good beer to enjoy in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the malt profile, it was nice and it was what I would expect from a Amber Ale. What i like the least about this beer was the balance, I thought yeast came through a little too much and that the peppers didn't come through enough. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was nice to try, but I don't think it's something that I would buy again and I would say it worth a try, but I would recommend it as a great beer. All in all I thought this beer was solid, but with a name like Fire and Blood I expected a little more bolder flavors and as it stands the Belgian yeast seemed to be the boldest aspect of this beer. This is isn't my favorite Ommegang beer and it for sure isn't my favorite Amber Ale or Belgian Style Amber Ale. This was a solid beer and I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer.

Fire And Blood Red Ale from Brewery Ommegang