Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Reviews by Ljoreilly:
Ljoreilly

Georgia

06-29-2013 04:19:51 | More by Ljoreilly
Keginator70

First pour in a challis. Mammoth head with tons of yeast, pepper and citrus on the nose which I can smell a foot away. Typically cloudy but lighter in color than some other beers in this style.

Very complex. Flavors are all over the place. Savory heat (cilantro or watercress maybe) on the tongue and a bubbly tingle in the mouth. A grainy malt texture blends well with the yeastiness which lingers but doesn't overpower the palate. A superior taste with an even better sensation in the pie hole.

Results from the second pour are almost the same. A little more heat as the beer has warmed up some.

Final pour. I allowed some of the yeast to flow into the glass. I can still taste it after ten minutes. Not the way to go for me. I have tried this before with a 11.2 ounce Belgian blonde and it worked well. So it's the type of beer, temperature or some combination of the two.

Overall I love this beer. It is my favorite saison and one of the best beers I have tried.

Note* I'm not a fan of a big grapefruit presence (probably because I don't like grapefruit) so take this into consideration if you use opinions as a guide.

08-04-2014 18:49:40 | More by Keginator70
Alieniloquium

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%

On tap at the House of Brews. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy light golden body. Huge white head. Nice lacing. Thick collar and some surface wisps.

Smell - Estery fruitiness. Some light banana and clove. Grainy. A bit of apple.

Taste - Grainy and yeasty up front. Apple fruitiness builds. Some banana builds too. Slightly bitter yeasty finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Well carbonated.

Overall - Solid saison. Not necessarily remarkable in any category, but very good overall.

08-13-2014 00:10:29 | More by Alieniloquium
oberon

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a light golden color,for some reason didnt get much head at all maybe and older bottle?Smell was fresh and amd very floral.The first thing I got on the palate was a spiciness followed by some fruity,yeasty estures.There is a definent citrusy kinda lemony taste rounding out on this one.A really well made ale but maybe not for me so much,but it still deserves a pretty good raiting.

05-13-2003 11:54:54 | More by oberon
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

Appearance: A cloudy, dull golden/orange pour with a livley and constantly present head.

Smell: The nose is exploding with aromas. Big rich maltiness up front highlighted with a fudge-like sweetness. A mix of spicey & fruity hints as well.

Taste: Extraordinary! Layers and layers of complex flavours in this beer. Instant sweetness up front that reminds me of honey and brown sugar. Peppery spice and earthy qualities follow and a big rich maltiness give the beer generous body. A medicinal, alcohol kick towards the finish that carries a woody, sweet n' sour taste along with it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and rich at first. Crisp and dry towards the finish.

Drinkability: I absolutley loved this beer. One was just not enough for me.

07-04-2003 05:58:50 | More by Popsinc
RoyalT

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance – Beautiful, light but cloudy yellowish-orange body with a nice white head that went down slowly.

Smell – Nice mix of yeast and slight sourness with some significant spicing. The spicing is typical BSPA. The fruits are light and pleasant, most notably melons, apples, strawberries dipped in sugar, and lots of green grapes.

Taste – This one is very good. There’s a hint of the grassy garden in there, but mostly you’ve got a wonderful yeast base mixed with tangy but restrained fruitiness. There’s a hint of alcohol more along the lines of a dry blanc or maybe even a brut blanc de noir with all that carbonation.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied but heavily carbonated, this one produces about a thousand sensations in the mouth. Very fun and entertaining; not something you’d want to serve with a meal.

Drinkability – I had this on an empty stomach just before dinner, and it was a delight. It wetted my appetite for the stuffed chicken with sticky rice and garlic gravy. Excellent and adventurous example of the style.

Update – I re-reviewed this with a 2004 bottle and found it to be very enjoyable. I got a lot more spicing this time around but otherwise it seems pretty consistent.

11-07-2003 03:37:31 | More by RoyalT
aszatk01

04-15-2012 03:40:46 | More by aszatk01
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

I've been a little too intimidated to review this beer for some time. There is just no way an amateur like myself can do it any justice but I will do my best. It is simply spectacular.

Appearances first: I love the fact that Hennepin comes with a champagne style cork in a 750 bottle. Like all of Ommegang’s beers, it is fun to open but that is just the beginning.

Hennepin pours a rich gold. It’s sticky and its head lasts and lasts and lasts longer than just about any beer that I have ever seen. It’s highly viscous, globular, and almost alive.

When I tilt my snifter, my Cabernet/Bordeaux glass, or my goblet of Hennepin the head forms a brilliant lacey coating around the bottom of the glass. It doesn’t dissipate. It just rests forming a different beautiful pattern each and every time I tilt.

Furthermore, Hennepin has an intensity in its hue and brightness that is almost unrivaled. This is a beautiful beer.

Onto the smell: Hennepin smells like I would imagine an idyllic Medieval farm to smell like: grain, straw, horses, sacks of dried flour, pepper, and of course, a beautiful lady. As tripe as this may sound, I assure you that Hennepin does indeed carry with it a quality that reminds me strongly of William Goldman’s the princess bride. This beer smells like I would imagine Buttercup’s hair to smell, utterly perfect.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hennepin is medicinal, no doubt about that. Its taste is robust and ads vigor to the body. There are also most certainly elements of lemon and grass, freshly baked drop scones, honey, and biscuits. The finish is dry and nutty, leaving the mouth thirsty for more. It wraps and warms the tongue and coats the palate, stomach and esophagus. I can’t get enough.

Drinkability: Unmatched.

This beer breaks the arguments of wine snobs down to detrital slime.

09-29-2005 00:05:33 | More by DaPeculierDane
beerhunter13

Ontario (Canada)

03-28-2014 20:01:43 | More by beerhunter13
Fear4Beer

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

I'll keep this simple. This is light and refreshing, tasty, and a perfect beer. It has a slight alcoholic zing to it. It is a 7.7% beer and you will feel it. This would be the PERFECT beer in the summer. It has that Belgian wheat beer core but a bit more flavor.

The smell has something in it that reminds me of the scent of piss. Haha. That doesn't deter me because the taste is fantastic (no piss). The bottle says not to disturb the yeast sediment... I did that by accident. Maybe the yeast doesn't like to be disturbed, it gets pissed... then it decides to smell like it. :D My fault! lol.

If you are a fan of Belgian wheat beers you will LOVE this. I'm sure of it. Cheers.

03-24-2014 01:25:46 | More by Fear4Beer
yauri

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Was happy to find that 750ml bottle in a super-market in Kansas, after hearing so much about this one.

Very cool, light (alcohol not felt), fun drink. probably goes great with light taste food.
Overall though was bit disappointed. expectations were too high

A - nice. pale gold. head appears only if not tilting the glass. nice wheat-bear like cloudiness, though not solid enough.

S - disappointment. simple lemon smell, like a low class wheat-beer that someone squeezed some lemon it.

T - cool, fun, light. Gently sower, hints of spices.

M - real nice. Very drinkable, alcohol not felt. crisp and bit dry.

nice. JUST nice

10-10-2013 00:11:54 | More by yauri
tectactoe

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Starts off a pale straw color, reasonable clarity at first, with a bunch of carbonation bubbles floating around. Within seconds, a haze takes it over and all of a sudden it becomes almost a completely opaque, peachy, light amber color. Interesting. Foamy, white head settles but lasts, looks to be a pretty volatile beer.

The aroma consists of a nice little concoction of spices; faint white pepper, heavy clove. Fruity and earthy esters are abound, with just a hint of that bubble-gum aroma that is so common with Belgian yeast. Some light fruits on the nose as well. Not picking up much of the "farmhouse" side of things, at least on the nose.

Hennepin hits the palate light and crispy with heavy carbonation, it almost seems to evaporate away inside of your mouth. Fruity esters take over right from the start; pear skins, apple skins, faint banana, and even some kind of melon... maybe honeydew? Something unique that I can't quite put my finger on. Clove crowds the background from start to finish, which is to be expected, but it doesn't overpower or distract the other flavors thankfully. Just a touch of mint and white pepper to go along with the clove spices.

The bubble-gum like taste comes out a little more as the beer gets warmer. About three-quarters of the way through the sip and riding strong into the aftertaste is the "farmhouse" funk. Some wet, musky, corky, funk flavors come out and satisfy their share of the workload. It's noticeable, but subdued and controlled at the same time. Executed very nicely; I'd like to think this is a decent amount of "beginner funk" - a good way to introduce new people into the work of funk without scaring them away with something crazy like Fantome.

Very good beer - almost similar to a Belgian tripel, but more spicy and less sweet. The added farmhouse funk on the tail end adds a different elements, as well as some unidentifiable fruit. Very pleasing, I'd definitely have this one again.

01-26-2013 20:40:29 | More by tectactoe
ricke

Sweden

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Golden yellow color, clear liquid. An enormous ivory-colored rocky and airy head dissipates slowly and leaves nice chunky lacings.

S: A well balanced smell with spicy yeast, earth and sweet citric notes (oranges) to the fore. Apples, white bread, grass and a minimal note of English toffee. A pleasant smell, although it's not very powerful.

T: Subtle notes of lemon and apples quickly leaves room for a slightly roughed taste of malts, white bread and yeast. Plenty of spicy notes enters in the middle and stays on for the rest of the show. Very gentle nutty aromas get through every now and then. Grass, leaves, currants and bubblegum. The flavor has a good balance between sweetness and a mild tartness. The finish is mildly bitter and has a decent amount of alcohol to it, medicinal phenols, herbal notes and hints of fruit.

M: Medium body, well suited carbonation that's rather aggressive yet not overly so. A crisp texture with a dry finish.

D: A good saison. The alcohol is slightly too prominent. But still, it's fairly well balanced with a pleasant composition of flavors and aromas. Very easy to drink.

07-20-2009 16:09:33 | More by ricke
TCHopCraver

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Reviewed from notes on 5/7/10. Damn, I need to get off my butt and get the internet in my new place. I believe this is my first Saison.

A: Pours the color of a golden raisin into my snifter. The head is an impressive, foamy, 2.5 fingers, is colored off-white and has excellent retention. The lacing is clingy and pleasing to the eye. Copious small bubbles rush in straight lines from the bottom of the glass upward.

S: Fruity and spicy. Concord grape, pear, golden apple and raisin aromas mix with clove and peper to establish a deliciously enticing primer for my mouth. I also detect some spicy and earth hop character as well.

T: A tartness bordering on sour that I did not encounter in the smell is the driving force in the flavor. A lot of clove flavor is also prevalent; this perhaps overbalances the the crisp fruit flavors that I enjoyed in the smell. There is a fine malt to hop balance. I can pinpoint the golden malt carrying the beer after the tart fruit and clove flavors settle, followed by the bittering hops taking the lead and leaving a dry and spicy residue on my tongue.

M: Hennepin is so crisp and refreshing to my mouth, and at the same time it has a pretty creamy and full body. I would adore this beer on a 95 degree, dry Napa Valley day. This beer makes me wish that I had been sufficiently turned on to the craft beer scene when I lived there, because I can taste this in my mouth when I reminisce about sitting on the back porch overlooking a vineyard.

D: This is extremely drinkable. I would certainly have another and will make a point to seek this out when it is as hot as the Devil's Oven in the middle of the Michigan summer. This beer makes me excited to try many more Saisons.

05-15-2010 22:21:12 | More by TCHopCraver
Zakk

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

06-23-2012 20:16:04 | More by Zakk
jono0101

12-24-2013 17:38:29 | More by jono0101
brownbeer

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Straw color with a thick white head that leaves endless lacing. Might only look better if I were drinking it at the brewery.

Very wheaty aroma, lemony fruit, saaz hops, a hint of clove spice.

Subtle banana and clove underneath the classic hayish wheat and peppery hops, maybe grains of paradise. Crisp and tingley on the tongue showing quite a bit of carbonation, in a good way. Dry and refreshing.

I'd say this one raises the bar, even for Belgian brewers. A fine example of the style.

02-16-2010 02:17:31 | More by brownbeer
Tiernan

05-04-2013 22:00:05 | More by Tiernan
wesbrownyeah

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Pours a beautiful light golden fluid that produces excellent mild bubbly head that leaves great lacing on the glass.

S- Smells of fresh yeast, alcohol esters, and mild grassy notes. Secondly I sense a very fresh wheat-like aroma that arouses the senses.

T-M- Upfront is a a very stiff alcohol presence followed by flavors of orange and other citrusy notes. Finishes with a piney after taste that hangs around for seconds. Mouthfeel is moderate with thick feel due to the alcohol in the beer. Smooth finish as it washes down.

D- Very drinkable and easily overdone... Be easy and enjoy!

06-30-2009 22:47:57 | More by wesbrownyeah

01-15-2013 20:05:18 | More by SkiBum22
SIRIUS2

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a chalice style glass

A: Awesome! Mostly clear golden color with a touch of orange in the light; abundant puffy white head that lasts and some great lacing.

S: Light on the nose with citrus hints and light caramel, apple, and honey.

T: Light to caramel malt flavors expertly balanced. Citrus flavors and spices abound in a complex, mostly dry blend. This really struck me as a great abbey style triple without all the alcohol. The finish is nice and clean with a bit of citrus bitterness in the linger. Very good.

M&D: Light and lively on the tongue and across the palate with abundant carbonation in the form of tiny bubbles. Fantastically smooth and easy to drink.

I don't know that I have sampled many saison style brews but if they taste like this one, I'm all for more! This went down so well that I'm ready to keep this one as regular stock in the fridge after just tasting it once. I have been very impressed with the Ommegang brewery and this one is just another jewel in their crown. Fantastic!!

03-20-2008 00:16:07 | More by SIRIUS2