Follow our progress ...

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

YOUR RATING = None |

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,139 | Ratings: 5,864
3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Received a 1 PINT 9.4 FL. OZ. (750 ML) bottle in a trade w/ CurtisMcArthur & has an estimated price of $11.99. Poured from the caged&corked bottle into my 12oz Schlafly Tulip Glass and has 16/12/13 on the front of the bottle.

Aroma- A nice fruitiness and extremely light spiciness. Has a nice floral hop aroma and High fruitiness with low to moderate hop aroma and very low sour/acidic aroma if any.

Appearance- Pours a 2 finger head that has decent retention. Has a dark golden/light orange color body that is semi-hazy. Very nice lacing on the sides of the glass, mostly sudsy but does have 2 rings at the top.

Flavor- VERY fruity from the beginning with tons of malt. I'm not sure if its balanced or not, but the spiciness tastes over towards the end of the drink. Like a Belgian Strong when it comes to the finish. Has a medium hop bitterness and has a bit of sourness at the end as well.

Mouthfeel- Light-Meidum Bodied (more on the light side), High Carbonation, Lightly Effervescent, and has hops/spice on the finish but nothing big time.

Overall Impression- A very fruity Saison. Easy to drink, has mild spice and sourness but not every brew this style can have these distinctive aromas/flavors. I was expecting more from this one but not bad. Wouldn't go out of my way to get again but enjoyed.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A: golden in appearance, pours about 2-3 fingers worth of pure white foam, huge carbonation, and enormous lacing.

S: similar smell to a hefeweizen. I pick up a lot of lemon citrus, cloves, mild peppery spices, and yeast. Mild hops with a very slight hint of mango, burn of alcohol is present.

T: similar aspects as the nose (lemon zest, peppery spices, cloves, mild hops). In addition, there is a very nice tart funkiness along with mild alcohol presence. As it warms up, I find more orange peel coming through. Nice complexity.

M: medium bodied, leaves a nice tart/funkiness on the teeth that is quite desirable. Hops are also more noticeable after the finish adding another nice component to this brew and the carbonation is spot on for this brew

O: I had tried this one along time ago and wasn’t a huge fan. But now with a more developed palate, I can appreciate this style and this offering by Ommegang. All around this is an excellent offering for this style and the complexity is rather high. It has a high drinkability and has a great finish that works well during a hot summer day.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

On Tap at Kite and Key in Philly in a pint glass.

A- Very light golden with yellow infusion and a semi tight bright white head, sudsy lace.

S- Whoa there buddy, a very earthy hayish straw yeasty bready vibe with some underkining apple and pear. Some alcohol seeping through, not a bother, im trying to drank here.

T- For a saison, this is simple, nothing to see here, but saying that I gotta say this is a kick ass saison. Pure balance of earthy yeast mixed in with small fruits. The alcohol detracts and I wish it was lower, I would drink more. Earthy hops and all of that.

M- Medium, crisp, bready aftertaste, not hot, the alc stays on the tounge though. Pretty dry.

D- If this was lower in ABV I would drink more of it. Either way you gotta try this.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A-Pours a bright sunny yellow with a thin bright white head. It is somewhat hazy. Not much lacing. The appearance reminds me of a hot and lazy summer day.

S-Belgian yeast, some noble hops, and malt.

T-Essentially the same as the nose. Belgian yeast with some noble hops. Its very refreshing.

M-Crisp and fairly clean. Its not too thin or too thick.

D-Great session beer especially for the summer months.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale orange with half an inch of foamy white head that last as a thin layer on top for the duration of the glass. The lacing is minimal.

I'm getting a fruity yeast smell, almost cider like.

The taste is of spicy fruit with a slight belgian yeast flavor. Also a slight bitterness from the hops and fruity dry aftertaste.

The beer has alot of carbonation with a slight alcohol tingle very minor, dry finish.

Overall like this beer alot probably my favorite of this style. Great flavor here.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

750 ml. bottle poured into goblet.

A: Pours a hazy straw-gold with very little head. What's there dissapates within 30 seconds and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells of banana, boiled pasta and white pepper. A hint of spice, but not much.

T: Taste is more banana and wheat but with quite a bit of apple as well. Malty with hints of pineapple and a slightly sour finish.

M: Carbonation is champagne-like and typical for the style. The sweet finish gives the illusion of a thick brew, but Hennepin is actually quite silky and lite.

D: Hennepin is a very nice American interpretation of a Belgian Saison, and hides the 7.7% alcohol extremely well. I'm not sure I'd want to drink a second 750, but it is a very refreshing dinner beer. I made moules frites tonight and used 6 oz or so of the Hennepin to steam the mussels; beautiful pairing.

Definitely worth having a few bottles of this in the cellar at all times. Very nice beer.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A: hazy golden yellow with a spritzy white one finger head that settles back after a few seconds
S: alcohol, malt, cloves, lemony citrus, orange peel, lightly hopped...this one has got some jazz in it
T: dry, not as tangy as i suspected, grassy, slight hint of wheat, alcohol warms on the way down. the citrus isn't hanging in there as much as i'd hoped for but this is still very delicious
M: spritzy, medium bodied...this is just the way a good saison should be.
D: i could definately go for a few of these on a warm summer evening. very refreshing and easy to drink but it's got enough punch to make it an end of the night beer. certainly worth searching out.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a goblet.

A: Hazy, pale gold with copious carbonation and a big head -- about two fingers worth. Impressive retention. Good lacing.

S: Smells strongly of wheat and less strongly of light fruits...maybe apricot? Faint spice.

T: Oh. Wow. One of the spiciest beers I've ever reviewed. I'm going to need a little while to figure this one out. Let's see...Black pepper. Cloves. Carbonation. After a few sips, strong citrus notes emerge. Late into the flavour I detect some nuttiness which disappears after I swallow. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, slightly grassy, mildly pleasant.

M: It's a bit of a kick at first, but moderates into a gentler, medium light mouthfeel.

D: The alcohol isn't hidden as well as I anticipated and the sheer complexity of this beer makes it almost a chore to drink. A very enjoyable chore, but enough work that I think one bottle will tide me over for a while.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

This is an amazing domestic Saison. Yards' brewery Saison should take some hints from this. Ommegang puts out a good product. Poured a slightly cloudy gold with a foamy white head. Hints of malt, not bitter at all. A great domestic brew in the Belgian style. I think I'll go get another bottle now.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden straw yellow with a head so big I couldn't even pour the beer into my glass all at once.

S - Fruity, floral, phenolic, fresh bread dough, lemon grass.

T - Fruity - pears, raisin, banana peel, light sweetness, highly carbonated mouthfeel, bitter finish.

O - Very solid beer that makes me want to try more Saisons. Definitely worth a go.

picked up a 4 pak at Moe's Beer City center st. Jupiter, fla

nose - pumpkin pie spice in the background, weiss malt
pours - a tremendous head 6-7" which dissipates quickly with good lacing
appears to be naturally carbonated ,hazy straw colour.

1st taste spices as they said caribe spices hops not noted , light weiss finish

this reminds me of a belgian ale Palm, Heffe and a few others , and leaves monk in my trunks ,blue mooned you ale in the dust

Even tho not a fan of Saison or weiss style beers , it's better than most i have tried so i rate it near 4

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet....

Appearance: A murky yellowish orange with a 1 finger head. Not much lacing.

Smell: Bananas, apricots, yeasty.

Taste: Yeast at first and then the bitterness kicks in. Definite banana flavor on my tongue.

Mouthfeel: Feels great going down. Nice and refreshing.

Drinkability: I really like this beer. Great for a summer day. Well done Ommegang. I'll buy a 750ml next time.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy golden color, two finger tall fluffy but fast fading off-white head settles to a thin ring, trails a few streaks of lace down the glass. Smell: pear, pepper, lightly grassy and lemony, with notes of unripe banana and something a bit oddly vegetal (like sprouting garlic). Checking the label I've never realized how many extras they throw in... don't see any expected offenders, but there is that odd out of place note. Taste: boozed ripe pear, mild whole-grain-bread graininess, lemon peel, significantly peppery with some really mild orange-ginger mix in the finish. Initially slick then fast growing carbonation hits, gets to be a little too much, then fades slowly into a crisp-ish but not dry, and slightly sticky, finish. Packaged 3/14, best by 3/16. This was my first "saison" many years ago and it's definitely an enjoyable beer... throttle up the gravity a bit and it's a killer BSPA... but for the style it advertises it's not great, and very reliant on the adjuncts.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

S - 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Bright cloudy yellow with thick pure white head and substantial lacing.

N - Smells of sweet pine, orange peel, grass and yeast.

T - First I get a orange zest taste followed shortly there after by a peppery spice. Malt and hops in the end. The alcohol is well hidden behind the flavor profile.

M - Near perfect carbonation. Aftertaste is pleasantly clean and does not linger.

O - Not my favorite style as I usually enjoy hoppier beers, but Hennepin is a crisp and refreshing representative of the style. I will most likely drink this beer again in the future.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a gigantic 5 finger head in mug, lots of carbonation, a gold color.
Smells skunky, musty, funky.
Taste follows with yeast notes, mineral, ginger, coriander, orange peel, slightly sweet, leaves with a dry finish.
Mouthfeel is very carbonated, but light, reminds me of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Overall an interesting beer, and I appreciate its' craftsmanship, but it is simply not a style that appeals to me.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%

750ml bottle I picked up at Brewery Ommegang in February 2003.
A fine appeance, looks even better than it tasted, A luminescent gold but cloudy. It has a thick white head, even with a gentle pour. Smells spicy (ginger or coriander) and hoppy with a hint of apple. Tastes alternately sour and fruity (depending on where it's hitting the palette) with that ginger spiciness thrown in. Quite the hoppy aftertaste but not unpleasantly so. Aftertaste really lingers. Has a foamy mouthfeel with a medium body. For such a complex ale, it is very drinkable. I would have to say this is my favorite Ommegang product I've tried thus far.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Hoppy and a bit bitter and dry. Colour is like a Belgian pale, despite some cloudiness. Very bubbly in the pour, moderate head.alcohol is there. Yeasty aroma.
I had this 3.5 years later on tap, at Cole's,and observed lacey and dry bitter and spicey.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a yellow-orange witha nice thick head that never goes away but turns into a fine lace. The whole top of my glass is covered with a milky white lace up to the brim. Smells of bannana, and hints of coriander. Sense of alcohol comes through with the second inhale.

At first taste its kinda shocking with a brisk Champagne type feel. The Hops jump out at you and provide a sharp taste that lasts even after you swallow. Leaves a sweet aftertaste.

Really gives my mouth a full feeling. This is the second time I have tried this and will definitely have it again.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

from a 12oz. pours a nice light gold color that is more on the clear side. Spice loaded nose with some ginger and coriander along with some navel oranges and a slight bit of funk. mostly attack on this as it falls off on the mid-palate and finish. Good medium body with more noticeable citrus on the palate.

This is very good, but not as open on the nose as one would like. Has a funkier side to it, but doesn't go the full way. It's a good saison that aims more rustic than citrusy

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

poured into my duvel glass- didn't realize how appropriate that would be until i tasted it. it appeared slightly more golden in color than duvel, but the taste was pretty close. a little thinner and slightly less peppery, but overall not very different to me. thoroughly enjoyed, but if i'm going for that style i'll go with hennepin's older, more established belgian cousin.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Giant white hard rock head coming out of the bottle even on a slow pour, three four fingers big. Body is real gorgeous looking, very light yellow gold and clear with visible carbonation coming up. The body is almost pale green! Head falls at a simple pace. Real nice looking beer.

Bouquet is a good smelling bread like yeast, not Belgian like but almost, gaseous smelling a little, seems more Belgian Pale Ale than saison like, sort of a weak Delirium Teremens.

Taste though is more saison, light bodied but kind of pale ale tasting. No sourness, no funkyness really pretty easy drinking. Kind of not what I expected for this category. For 7.7 abv this doesn't feel big but is easy drinking so that's great.

Overall this is quite tasty but this doesn't feel like a saison at all, most saison's I find real polarizing and this is more into simpler Belgian pale ale territory with sweetness. I do admit though I like it, I would tell people to start here for this style before grabbing something like a Dupont or god forbid a Fantome for a first time saison drinker.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

This is my first Saison but I have enjoyed other similar ales. I've always been a fan of Belgians, Dubbels, Trippels, and Quads. Though the flavors are a little different, I was told this is right up my alley. My style of choice is RIS mostly but I often look for other stuff to keep my taste buds fresh. I bought this at Springhill Liquor in North Little Rock, AR.

Poured in a 14oz wide mouth wine glass 2008 Bottle

Appearance: Poured a Pale yellow with a thick, three-finger, rich and creamy white head. Nice lacing and good retention. The head dissipates slightly but stays long after the pour, as if my beer has been topped off with whipped cream. Haven't seen that before.

Smell: Sweet malts light fruity notes and some stinky earthy tones. Smells similar to much of the Belgian styles I have enjoyed in the past but I think this is a little more aromatic.

Taste: The taste is pretty, sweet and sturdy yet delicate. The flavor is new to me, its like tasting a lovely perfume of a passerby. Its bitter and spicy with some fruity notes but its hard to really pick out specific flavors. If I had to pick, I'd say banana with a hint of strawberry. The brew is pretty damn good and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is pretty light, almost too light. Kind

Drinkability: This brew impresses me but its not my personal brew of choice. I would definitely recommend it to others but I don't think I would buy it again, not because it isn't worthy, its just not my personal preference. My only problem with this brew is that it came with only 7.7% ABV. Not enough for the money in my opinion. Indeed, I buy for quality but its still nice to get a good buzz off of a good beer.

Cheers!

-Dotson

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

750ml bottle poured into tulip.

A - Light golden yellow with a bit of haziness. Monster 3 finger head with excellent retention.

S - Floral and citrus notes fill the nose with some spice and yeast coming through.

T - Similar to the nose. The citrus and spice immediately hits, followed by grassy hops and some Belgian yeast flavor. The hop bite is quite nice and is balanced out by the sweet malt backbone. The finish is dry with a lingering citrus aftertaste.

M - Light bodied, smooth and refreshing. Lively carbonated feel.

D - Fantastic saison. It has high drinkability and is a relaxing, balanced brew. The alcohol is masked well but is very warming. There is a champagne-like vibe going on which improves the overall experience.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

-Appearance: Really big bubblebathy head on it. Got a little overzealous during the pour and had to wait for the head to dissipate before pouring the rest of the pint. Needless to say that the carbonation is great, leading to a nice champagne pop when opening. Cloudy amber in the glass with a decent amount of sediment.

-Nose: All yeasty and bready brings me back to the champagne comparison. Reeks of bananas and orange peel with a slight bit of hoppiness.

-Flavor: Great creamy mouthfeel. Orange peel, rye bread, with a decent amount of hops. A bit of petrol on the backend. Great finish but it doesn’t linger

-Rating: 4/5: This is a really good saison. Light and refreshing with a great mouthfeel. Just what one needs for a nice Spring day drinking session. I could knock back a few pints of this guy. Just a really balanced beer. The yeast in the brew balances really nicely with the extras they added.

-Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Okay I admit I'm an American and English beer kind of guy in general and not at all into Belgians (gasp!), but I remembered liking this one in the past. Pours a bright, glowing golden hue, but is slightly cloudy or hazed below the one finger foamy head. Smells Belgian (uh oh, I think), yeasty, sweetish, and only gently hoppy--not too much smelling going on here as it makes me nervous and the aroma of Belgian beers make me think of dusty cellars by association... Okay here I go...tastes fruity and complex--fruity in a white wine kind of way. Nectar like. Has waves and layers of flavor. Definite alcohol presence. Starts with the fruit-like malts, flashes alcohol, adds a flair of spice, and finishes with a juicy, fruit-zest hops lingering on the tongue for a moment or two. I'm not in love with the taste, but it's intriguing. Mouthfeel is full but on the tongue sits slightly watery--more so than expected, I expected more syrup, but it is pleasing. Not sure how I feel about the carbonation level..a bit high. Drinkability wise, this is nothing I'll swoon over and plan my day around, but it's a good beer that seems it could go well with the summer bread, cheese, fruit, and spiced meats kind of picnic.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang