Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

YOUR RATING = None |

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,133 | Ratings: 5,827
3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A: hazy golden yellow with a spritzy white one finger head that settles back after a few seconds
S: alcohol, malt, cloves, lemony citrus, orange peel, lightly hopped...this one has got some jazz in it
T: dry, not as tangy as i suspected, grassy, slight hint of wheat, alcohol warms on the way down. the citrus isn't hanging in there as much as i'd hoped for but this is still very delicious
M: spritzy, medium bodied...this is just the way a good saison should be.
D: i could definately go for a few of these on a warm summer evening. very refreshing and easy to drink but it's got enough punch to make it an end of the night beer. certainly worth searching out.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a goblet.

A: Hazy, pale gold with copious carbonation and a big head -- about two fingers worth. Impressive retention. Good lacing.

S: Smells strongly of wheat and less strongly of light fruits...maybe apricot? Faint spice.

T: Oh. Wow. One of the spiciest beers I've ever reviewed. I'm going to need a little while to figure this one out. Let's see...Black pepper. Cloves. Carbonation. After a few sips, strong citrus notes emerge. Late into the flavour I detect some nuttiness which disappears after I swallow. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, slightly grassy, mildly pleasant.

M: It's a bit of a kick at first, but moderates into a gentler, medium light mouthfeel.

D: The alcohol isn't hidden as well as I anticipated and the sheer complexity of this beer makes it almost a chore to drink. A very enjoyable chore, but enough work that I think one bottle will tide me over for a while.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

This is an amazing domestic Saison. Yards' brewery Saison should take some hints from this. Ommegang puts out a good product. Poured a slightly cloudy gold with a foamy white head. Hints of malt, not bitter at all. A great domestic brew in the Belgian style. I think I'll go get another bottle now.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden straw yellow with a head so big I couldn't even pour the beer into my glass all at once.

S - Fruity, floral, phenolic, fresh bread dough, lemon grass.

T - Fruity - pears, raisin, banana peel, light sweetness, highly carbonated mouthfeel, bitter finish.

O - Very solid beer that makes me want to try more Saisons. Definitely worth a go.

picked up a 4 pak at Moe's Beer City center st. Jupiter, fla

nose - pumpkin pie spice in the background, weiss malt
pours - a tremendous head 6-7" which dissipates quickly with good lacing
appears to be naturally carbonated ,hazy straw colour.

1st taste spices as they said caribe spices hops not noted , light weiss finish

this reminds me of a belgian ale Palm, Heffe and a few others , and leaves monk in my trunks ,blue mooned you ale in the dust

Even tho not a fan of Saison or weiss style beers , it's better than most i have tried so i rate it near 4

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet....

Appearance: A murky yellowish orange with a 1 finger head. Not much lacing.

Smell: Bananas, apricots, yeasty.

Taste: Yeast at first and then the bitterness kicks in. Definite banana flavor on my tongue.

Mouthfeel: Feels great going down. Nice and refreshing.

Drinkability: I really like this beer. Great for a summer day. Well done Ommegang. I'll buy a 750ml next time.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy golden color, two finger tall fluffy but fast fading off-white head settles to a thin ring, trails a few streaks of lace down the glass. Smell: pear, pepper, lightly grassy and lemony, with notes of unripe banana and something a bit oddly vegetal (like sprouting garlic). Checking the label I've never realized how many extras they throw in... don't see any expected offenders, but there is that odd out of place note. Taste: boozed ripe pear, mild whole-grain-bread graininess, lemon peel, significantly peppery with some really mild orange-ginger mix in the finish. Initially slick then fast growing carbonation hits, gets to be a little too much, then fades slowly into a crisp-ish but not dry, and slightly sticky, finish. Packaged 3/14, best by 3/16. This was my first "saison" many years ago and it's definitely an enjoyable beer... throttle up the gravity a bit and it's a killer BSPA... but for the style it advertises it's not great, and very reliant on the adjuncts.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

S - 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Bright cloudy yellow with thick pure white head and substantial lacing.

N - Smells of sweet pine, orange peel, grass and yeast.

T - First I get a orange zest taste followed shortly there after by a peppery spice. Malt and hops in the end. The alcohol is well hidden behind the flavor profile.

M - Near perfect carbonation. Aftertaste is pleasantly clean and does not linger.

O - Not my favorite style as I usually enjoy hoppier beers, but Hennepin is a crisp and refreshing representative of the style. I will most likely drink this beer again in the future.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a gigantic 5 finger head in mug, lots of carbonation, a gold color.
Smells skunky, musty, funky.
Taste follows with yeast notes, mineral, ginger, coriander, orange peel, slightly sweet, leaves with a dry finish.
Mouthfeel is very carbonated, but light, reminds me of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Overall an interesting beer, and I appreciate its' craftsmanship, but it is simply not a style that appeals to me.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%

750ml bottle I picked up at Brewery Ommegang in February 2003.
A fine appeance, looks even better than it tasted, A luminescent gold but cloudy. It has a thick white head, even with a gentle pour. Smells spicy (ginger or coriander) and hoppy with a hint of apple. Tastes alternately sour and fruity (depending on where it's hitting the palette) with that ginger spiciness thrown in. Quite the hoppy aftertaste but not unpleasantly so. Aftertaste really lingers. Has a foamy mouthfeel with a medium body. For such a complex ale, it is very drinkable. I would have to say this is my favorite Ommegang product I've tried thus far.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Hoppy and a bit bitter and dry. Colour is like a Belgian pale, despite some cloudiness. Very bubbly in the pour, moderate head.alcohol is there. Yeasty aroma.
I had this 3.5 years later on tap, at Cole's,and observed lacey and dry bitter and spicey.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a yellow-orange witha nice thick head that never goes away but turns into a fine lace. The whole top of my glass is covered with a milky white lace up to the brim. Smells of bannana, and hints of coriander. Sense of alcohol comes through with the second inhale.

At first taste its kinda shocking with a brisk Champagne type feel. The Hops jump out at you and provide a sharp taste that lasts even after you swallow. Leaves a sweet aftertaste.

Really gives my mouth a full feeling. This is the second time I have tried this and will definitely have it again.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

from a 12oz. pours a nice light gold color that is more on the clear side. Spice loaded nose with some ginger and coriander along with some navel oranges and a slight bit of funk. mostly attack on this as it falls off on the mid-palate and finish. Good medium body with more noticeable citrus on the palate.

This is very good, but not as open on the nose as one would like. Has a funkier side to it, but doesn't go the full way. It's a good saison that aims more rustic than citrusy

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

poured into my duvel glass- didn't realize how appropriate that would be until i tasted it. it appeared slightly more golden in color than duvel, but the taste was pretty close. a little thinner and slightly less peppery, but overall not very different to me. thoroughly enjoyed, but if i'm going for that style i'll go with hennepin's older, more established belgian cousin.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Giant white hard rock head coming out of the bottle even on a slow pour, three four fingers big. Body is real gorgeous looking, very light yellow gold and clear with visible carbonation coming up. The body is almost pale green! Head falls at a simple pace. Real nice looking beer.

Bouquet is a good smelling bread like yeast, not Belgian like but almost, gaseous smelling a little, seems more Belgian Pale Ale than saison like, sort of a weak Delirium Teremens.

Taste though is more saison, light bodied but kind of pale ale tasting. No sourness, no funkyness really pretty easy drinking. Kind of not what I expected for this category. For 7.7 abv this doesn't feel big but is easy drinking so that's great.

Overall this is quite tasty but this doesn't feel like a saison at all, most saison's I find real polarizing and this is more into simpler Belgian pale ale territory with sweetness. I do admit though I like it, I would tell people to start here for this style before grabbing something like a Dupont or god forbid a Fantome for a first time saison drinker.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

This is my first Saison but I have enjoyed other similar ales. I've always been a fan of Belgians, Dubbels, Trippels, and Quads. Though the flavors are a little different, I was told this is right up my alley. My style of choice is RIS mostly but I often look for other stuff to keep my taste buds fresh. I bought this at Springhill Liquor in North Little Rock, AR.

Poured in a 14oz wide mouth wine glass 2008 Bottle

Appearance: Poured a Pale yellow with a thick, three-finger, rich and creamy white head. Nice lacing and good retention. The head dissipates slightly but stays long after the pour, as if my beer has been topped off with whipped cream. Haven't seen that before.

Smell: Sweet malts light fruity notes and some stinky earthy tones. Smells similar to much of the Belgian styles I have enjoyed in the past but I think this is a little more aromatic.

Taste: The taste is pretty, sweet and sturdy yet delicate. The flavor is new to me, its like tasting a lovely perfume of a passerby. Its bitter and spicy with some fruity notes but its hard to really pick out specific flavors. If I had to pick, I'd say banana with a hint of strawberry. The brew is pretty damn good and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is pretty light, almost too light. Kind

Drinkability: This brew impresses me but its not my personal brew of choice. I would definitely recommend it to others but I don't think I would buy it again, not because it isn't worthy, its just not my personal preference. My only problem with this brew is that it came with only 7.7% ABV. Not enough for the money in my opinion. Indeed, I buy for quality but its still nice to get a good buzz off of a good beer.

Cheers!

-Dotson

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

750ml bottle poured into tulip.

A - Light golden yellow with a bit of haziness. Monster 3 finger head with excellent retention.

S - Floral and citrus notes fill the nose with some spice and yeast coming through.

T - Similar to the nose. The citrus and spice immediately hits, followed by grassy hops and some Belgian yeast flavor. The hop bite is quite nice and is balanced out by the sweet malt backbone. The finish is dry with a lingering citrus aftertaste.

M - Light bodied, smooth and refreshing. Lively carbonated feel.

D - Fantastic saison. It has high drinkability and is a relaxing, balanced brew. The alcohol is masked well but is very warming. There is a champagne-like vibe going on which improves the overall experience.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

-Appearance: Really big bubblebathy head on it. Got a little overzealous during the pour and had to wait for the head to dissipate before pouring the rest of the pint. Needless to say that the carbonation is great, leading to a nice champagne pop when opening. Cloudy amber in the glass with a decent amount of sediment.

-Nose: All yeasty and bready brings me back to the champagne comparison. Reeks of bananas and orange peel with a slight bit of hoppiness.

-Flavor: Great creamy mouthfeel. Orange peel, rye bread, with a decent amount of hops. A bit of petrol on the backend. Great finish but it doesn’t linger

-Rating: 4/5: This is a really good saison. Light and refreshing with a great mouthfeel. Just what one needs for a nice Spring day drinking session. I could knock back a few pints of this guy. Just a really balanced beer. The yeast in the brew balances really nicely with the extras they added.

-Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Okay I admit I'm an American and English beer kind of guy in general and not at all into Belgians (gasp!), but I remembered liking this one in the past. Pours a bright, glowing golden hue, but is slightly cloudy or hazed below the one finger foamy head. Smells Belgian (uh oh, I think), yeasty, sweetish, and only gently hoppy--not too much smelling going on here as it makes me nervous and the aroma of Belgian beers make me think of dusty cellars by association... Okay here I go...tastes fruity and complex--fruity in a white wine kind of way. Nectar like. Has waves and layers of flavor. Definite alcohol presence. Starts with the fruit-like malts, flashes alcohol, adds a flair of spice, and finishes with a juicy, fruit-zest hops lingering on the tongue for a moment or two. I'm not in love with the taste, but it's intriguing. Mouthfeel is full but on the tongue sits slightly watery--more so than expected, I expected more syrup, but it is pleasing. Not sure how I feel about the carbonation level..a bit high. Drinkability wise, this is nothing I'll swoon over and plan my day around, but it's a good beer that seems it could go well with the summer bread, cheese, fruit, and spiced meats kind of picnic.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into a tall thin glass at 50 degrees, only after the pour (which despite my best efforts to be gentle produced an out of control amount of head) I noticed the label says to serve it at 40 degrees.

Pours with 4 full fingers of billowy white head that sticks like sea foam on the glass as it recedes. Body is pale yellow and slightly cloudy, and full of little bubbles rising to keep the head alive. Very inviting and authentic looking.

Nose is full of soft yeasty bready very Belgian-yeast notes, noble hops and toasted malted barley. Some hints of clove spice and other spices like it. Swirling the beer only makes the head advance up the glass, which is true to the style.

Sourdough bread, yeast, and toasty sweet bread make up the flavor profile of this beer. A little banana makes an appearance as it warms, but not in a significant way. I am surprised to find a noticeable amount of alcoholic flavors here, and it is distracting from the rest of the flavor profile.

Rich, smooth, spicy and medium-full mouthfeel. High marks here, this is like bread in a bottle. Nicely sweet but bites enough to check the sweetness.

Drinkability could be higher if not for the noticeable alcohol.

Conclusion: I wasn't as impressed with this beer as I had hoped to be, but I have limited experience with this style, so I may simply not be able to tell why it is rated as high as it is.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Takin' another swing at this brew. It pours a hazy pale straw topped by a solid finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and lemon zest, with a touch of minor caramel in the very, very back. The taste follows along a similarly-landscaped path, though there's more wheat and a touch o' relatively minor funk hanging around the corners and edges and whatnot. And when I say minor, I mean AA, maybe even A (who doesn't love watching a Dunedin game, am I right?). The body is a very light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, a nice, solid saison, not my favorite of the style but pretty good nonetheless.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A: This pours a bright and hazy yellow/golden color. A large pillowing white head with lots of clinging and patchy lace.
S: Lots of barnyard funky yeast. A nice fruit aroma of apples, pears, and banana's.
T: Follows the nose. Plenty of sweet malt with the barnyard/hay funkyness again. Fruits that follow the nose with a bit of peppery spice.
M/D: A medium body that is over carbonated for my tastes. The alcohol show a little, but other than that an easy to drink beer.

Pretty much spot on for the style. I really enjoy this. Something I would recommend to lovers of the style and people that are looking to get into saison's. This needs to be in my fridge more often.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Copper/orange in color, hazy, with a huge white frothy head that leaves tons of lacing as it recedes.

S - Very bold aromas: lemon, wheat, yeast, and strong notes of fruit (banana?)

T&M - A very complex flavor, albeit, not my favorite. Definitely a good beer for the summer: it has a somewhat crisp wheat-like flavor with notes of complex malts. High carbonation. Medium bodied. Very flavorful mouthfeel.

D - All in all, I definitely respect the quality of this brew - it just wasn't one of my favorites. For 7.7 abv, it wasn't too boozy at all - only a little hint of alcohol here and there.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottled on January 28(?), 2011.

A: Pale yellow with a significant head that retains well.

S: Yeasty sweetness, spice, booze and a touch of funk.

T: Hot and a bit sweet. Fairly full flavor with banana and some spice with a touch of mineral at the finish. In spite of the sweetness, the finish is somewhat dry and bitter.

M: Medium with ample carbonation.

O: Quite drinkable in spite of the sweetness and prominent booze.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

I have had this brew more than once it was about time I reviewed it.
Bottle poured into its proper Hennepin glass produced a large white head that lasted a long time. This was on top of a cloudy pale yellow colored body.

The aroma was nice fruity and funky with a good amount of floral hops to it. The flavors were nice and light a perfect feel in the mouth with great carbonation. It is a tad to the bitter side for the way I like my Saison but enjoyable

I love to have this brew threw out the summer and I usually do. It is a great picnic brew as well

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang