2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Reviews: 2000

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,392 | Reviews: 2,000 | Show All Ratings:
Duxx

Missouri

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Wow, I've never seen a beer with a head like this one. It was easily 4+ fingers tall. It filled 1/2 of my pint glass with a meringue like bright white head. I did not use an aggressive pour because I was trying not to get any trub in my glass. The label says not to be too delicate with the pour so as to "create a luxurious head." I definitely saw that. The meringue like head stayed around for the whole 750 ml bottle. It was easy to refresh the head with each pour. (3 times in total.) The beer color was a cloudy bright yellow. Kind of like if you mixed a BMC & a witbier.

S: Cloves, Cloves, and more Cloves!! As a matter of fact, I grabbed the spice jar of cloves from the cupboard and it smelled exactly like that an almost as intense!

T: Again, cloves and more cloves along with a sweet after taste. I was reminded of those clove spice jelly beans that are common around Easter time. I really like those jelly beans and was surprised to find a beer that tasted like that but in a good way.

M: OK to good I guess. I was so overwhelmed by the surprising flavor it was hard to pay attention to this.

D: I finished the whole 750 ml bottle while making the baked ziti for dinner. I took the last sip with dinner. Next time I think I'll wait to crack this open until after dinner due to the sugary sweetness.

01-05-2010 01:09:50 | More by Duxx
BeerGodz

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Look: Bright golden color, slightly cloudy, dense head with nice lacing

Smell: Lemon, spices, sweet malt

Taste: Up Front: Sweet malt. Finish: Fruit, spices

Mouthfeel: Light body, highly carbonated, with a dry finish

Drinkability: Crisp & refreshing

Overall Impression: This is a beer I've had several times, but I have never been overly impressed with it. It's a good beer to drink on a hot summer day, but I can think of many others I'd rather drink in its place. That's just my opinion. If you look elsewhere, you'll see that this beer is very highly rated. Judge for yourself.

03-22-2010 17:19:54 | More by BeerGodz
mdfb79

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a murky golden color with one finger of fluffy white head that leaves quickly, and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells strongly of bananas, spices, and yeast. Some cloves, orange, and citrus as well. Not much funk but enjoyable.

t - Tastes of bananas, spices, cloves, yeast, alcohol, and light citrus and fruit.

m - Light to medium body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - An ok saison but nothing amazing. It smelled pretty good, but thought the high carbonation and the alcohol in the taste hurt it a bit. No funk anywhere either. Would try again but wouldn't really seek out.

08-24-2010 22:54:20 | More by mdfb79
ChadQuest

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

really does look exceptional, straw golden color and huge bone white pillow of head.
Overall this bottle is a bit differant then i remember, the aroma is fruity biscuty esters, but i remember in other multiple bottles there being quite a bit more funky wet hay, and a dryer cleaner mouthfeel on the pallette, it's all still good though.
Flavors are full of yeast and light peppered spices and clove. once again missing that wet straw im accustomed to with this one, this particular bottle is kinda dissapointing, if only for the fact i remembered it differantly.
The feel doesn't have as poppy a carbination as i would like, or as dry a finish.

I love hennepin, and have enjoyed other bottles as much as Fantome and Dupont, so this bottle was a semi-letdown, which is rare for ommegang, great brewery.

09-18-2010 05:28:53 | More by ChadQuest
SundaySour

Shared with Cavery.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head. The color of gold; gold in them there hills!

S: Smells a glass of apple or pear cider, with a citrus "leaf" smell. If I were to whiff this unknowingly, I might suspect it could even be a champagne. It honestly smells pretty damned delicious.

T: It has a clean pale ale taste with a light orange juice finish. The scent deceived me, I thought it would be a little fruitier. Also attending the party is the delicious taste of bread, especially in the aftertaste. Light and yummy.

M: On a scale of 1 to Champagne, it's probably about a 6. The flavor lingers and lingers for a Saison.

O: I enjoyed this beer, but I wasn't falling out of my chair excited. It is crisp, and the sweet orange undertones were really nice. Admittedly, I could guzzle down a pint or two. But for a Saison, I feel like they could have pumped up the flavor a bit.

Sour out.

07-28-2011 03:43:40 | More by SundaySour
scoots511

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Corked and caged in a 750 mL bottle. A nice popping sound upon opening the bottle. Pours a medium height white head that stayed for a medium duration. Clear deep gold, clarity is reduced when finishing the bottle due to stirring up the yeast a little

S: Clean smell with some citrus, spice, and yeast breadiness

T: Lots of yeast flavors but still on the light-medium side. Spicy, clove a little sweetness residue.

M: Nice belgian style higher carbonation Finishes fairly clean with some citriusy yeasty flavor residues

O: Smooth drinking saison with some nice flavors.

08-20-2011 04:36:15 | More by scoots511
kemoarps

Missouri

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

pours a straw blonde with a nice white head showing good retention.

The smell is dusty hay with some sweetness and biscuits in the background

Belgian spices and herbs augment a fruity malt.

drinkable, but not as excellent as I had anticipated based on its ratings. Maybe I'm just not big on saisons in general, because it seems well constructed, but I don't envision myself drinking another one any time soon

01-04-2012 05:32:08 | More by kemoarps
kini

Hawaii

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first had a bottle with the same label as in the photo which was in fact brewed in Belgium by Duvel. It would've rated at least a 4. Clearly superior to the second bottle brewed in NY with a silver label.

Color, taste, look, head, mouthfeel were all superior from the Duvel brewed version. The newest version tasted more like triple to me.

Overall average and will be sticking with abbey ale from ommegang.

04-17-2013 00:48:56 | More by kini
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I gave Hennepin a very careful pour, unlike my usual, because of the nasty looking stuff in the bottom of the bottle. The beer itself is significantly hazy, bright banana-amber with a handful of fine particulates and a generous amount of carbonation. The very nearly pure white head started out small thanks to the gentle pour, fell quickly to thin film and is leaving very little lace.

The nose is fruity, spicy, faintly alcoholic and reminds me, somewhat, of a Belgian tripel. The flavor is definitely interesting, but doesn't bowl me over. It's malty, fruity (apples, pears, golden raisins) sour and clove spicy.

The body/mouthfeel is light and well-carbonated and the finish is long with a trace of sweetness. There's also a hint of alcohol that it isn't the least bit intrusive. It does pack a bit of a punch, but then 7.5% on an empty stomach usually does.

Hennepin is my first saison so I really have no idea whether it's a good version of the style or not. For all I know it could be great beer. My suspicion is that this bottle is a little on the old side, so I'll re-review when I get the chance.

06-17-2004 22:55:28 | More by BuckeyeNation
Padron4KM

Arizona

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle. No freshness date noted.
Pours out a hazy golden straw color, with a fluffy egg white head and lively carbonation. Thick patches of lacing left behind.
Aroma is banana and yeast and musty. a little stanky cheese.
Flavor is sweet honey and lemon, with some peppery spice.
Finish is ruby red grapefruit and citrus zest. touch of alcohol burn on the throat.
Second glassfull paired well with some asiago cheese.

06-04-2005 07:02:34 | More by Padron4KM
mcallister

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

An average looking beer. Pale hay/copper with hardly any head. A bad pour by the bartender?

A malty yeasty aroma with hints of earth & meat. Somewhat sour fruit, lemon, orange, and melon.

Carbonated yet creamy mouthfeel with flavors of lemon fruit, sour candy, earth, flowers, and some grilled vegetable flavors. Leaves a sour off taste in the finish.

I've had this bottled and thought it was far superior. Could have been dirty lines?

07-09-2006 17:38:10 | More by mcallister
jdhilt

New Hampshire

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Pale, cloudy amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Spicey/citrus nose. Starts almost sweet reminds me of a wheat, tart finish. $5.35 for a 750ml bottle from Butter's Fine Food & Wine Concord, NH.

08-04-2006 22:30:55 | More by jdhilt
jonworth

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

750 ml bottle poured into a goblet.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I was slightly let down by this ale. Bottle-conditioned, Belgian-style ale brewed in Cooperstown, NY? And one of the "Duvel family" of ales? I wanted to like it--no, LOVE it.

The verdict is in, and I would submit that it's pretty good, but not great. (Disclaimer: This was my first foray into the "saison/farmhouse" type of ale, so I can't relate it to others of the same type.) The bottom line is that the dryness and lemony-ness of this ale are overpowering. Considering the healthy ABV, and the fact that it's a Belgian-type knockoff, I would ask for a little more complexity. This ale has a lot of flavor; it's just not as interesting it could be (kind of like typing in ALL CAPS).

Apparently many other reviewers like it, so it might be at the top of its class for all I know; I can only speak within the limitations of my own experience.

Would I drink it again? Certainly. Would I *buy* it again? Not at that price point--there are better alternatives.

01-20-2008 03:46:43 | More by jonworth
mithrascruor

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap in a Hennepin glass at San Diego Brewing Co.

Pours a clear golden wheat color. Semi-spicy aroma. Unfortunately, on-tap this misses a lot of the yeast and other sediment that one gets from a bottle pour. Taste includes spices and citrus, but the yeast flavor isn't present. Still totally drinkable and nice, but it's much more enjoyable poured from the bottle.

03-10-2008 07:41:42 | More by mithrascruor
Moxley

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a small pilsner glass.

A - Poured a light golden amber with a foamy head that didn't dissipate too quickly.

S - Grassy, hoppy smell with a citrusy, floral sweetness. Picked up on a bit of a clove scent as well.

T - A very interesting combination of malty, citrusy, and earthy hops. It actually worked really well together.

M&D - Nice balance of carbonation and alcohol warmth. Overall a good beer. Definitely worth trying.

08-15-2008 23:17:48 | More by Moxley
smcolw

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light straw with a slight haze. Large big-bubbled head. While receding, leaves some spotty lace.

Typical farm house stinky; I mean that in a good way. Sour smell similar to old dough.

Spritzy and sour; lots of yeast bite. Quite light in the body. Tastes as if there is a lot of wheat in this beer.

12-28-2008 20:07:53 | More by smcolw
Anthony1

Colorado

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a nice cloudy gold with a billowy head. smells fruity with spice. I had never had a saison and have been wanting to try. It reminded me of a wheat beer with a touch of funk. it was interesting. the aroma was the best part of it. very refreshing fruit smell. light feel with lots of carbonation. enjoyed it, but the taste needed a bit more CRISPness. i really wanted just a sharpness to the flavor, great though

06-23-2009 16:47:34 | More by Anthony1
drabmuh

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Beer served on draft at a local bar. Beer is yellow and has a slight haze to it. Thcik white head, carbonation low. Lacing is very high in this beer.

Aroma is primarily yeasty followed by that Saison funk. Like a barn.

This beer has a lot of odd bitterness to it. Its like orange peels or something. The flavors are complicated, fruity, sour, harsh, and finished by the bitterness. Drinkability moderate and the mouthfeel is a little thin. Not my favorite from this brewery unfortunately.

11-16-2009 19:43:22 | More by drabmuh
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: A nice hazy yellow, with a big billowy white head. Good lacing.

S: A lot of spice and some dark fruit.

T: Good, but not as great as the other reviews made it out to be. Did not meet my expectations. Has a sour fruity taste, with a sweet aftertaste. Mainly spicy and citrus up front.

M: Well carbonated, but not heavy.

D: High. It was shared with friends, but one can easily finish off a 750 ml bottle.

01-03-2010 19:50:28 | More by mostpoetsdo
PapaGemutlich

Maryland

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will not be bullied into liking this.

It's fine. I poured from a chilled 750 ml into a pint glass. The pour was lively, color wheat gold, and the head a solid, persistent white. Good quality aromatic hops impart a clean straw bouquet.

Drinking, though, seemed off balance to me. The high alcohol and phenols seemed over-assertive, out of balance with what should be a bright, summertime quaff.

This is my first from Brewery Ommegang. They clearly know their stuff, and I look forward to other items from their portfolio, but I don't think I'll get this one again.

05-11-2010 20:51:02 | More by PapaGemutlich
harrymel

Washington

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

No best by date on this bottle.

A: Pours a light golden ale with some haziness. A three finger, large bubble, whipped meringue-like head hangs out nearly indefinitely. Nearly total sheets of lacing. Almost perfect look.

S: Earthy hops, bready grains. In saisons, I always anticipate the yeast will play a large part, not only in the nose, but also in the taste. Wait, there it is, slightly funky, with hay smells, hint of metallics.

T: Again, earthy. I am struggling to determine if the flavors I'm getting are actually from hops or yeast. Slightly bitter, peppery, lots of grain. Still hints of metal. A little clove on the finish.

M: Light body and highly carbonated. Dry finish.

O: Well done. I'm new to saisons, but I know each saison can, and IMO, should, have it's own unique characteristics. This one seems to be simple, subtle, unobtrusive.

05-04-2011 10:53:26 | More by harrymel
Ellbert

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: This beer was very clear. Crystal clear even. A decent head that faded fast to a small head that lasted with sticky lace. The color of the beer was an orange/red color with a white head. The bubbles came up like champagne.

Smell: Very spicy with some hop highlights. A little alcohol enters the nose.

Taste: At first there was way too much cabonation to even taste this beer but after it breathed for a little bit the carbonation wasn't as rough. This beer was very spicy. My first Saison and it was almost like all the other Belgians I have had.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated at first. After it breathed it was consitent. It had a nice not too thick but creamy consitency, very nice.

Overall not a bad beer but not my top choice.

03-11-2004 03:13:08 | More by Ellbert
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Hazy golden hue wearing a thin white head. A very vinous nose with more alcohol than expected. Quite fruity overall with grapes, lemon/citrus, but it could use a bit more spices to my liking. Saison-ish hay character is very well defined though and appealing. Lots of warming alcohol in mouth also, a solid hay field accompany typical cereals. Mildly acid with more lemon, yeasty with a dry bitter finish. The body is highly carbonated, a bit too much for my tastes with this particular flavor profile, it's smooth and big enough to support the warming effect nevertheless. I must say I expected more from one of the rare american Saison, the obvious alcohol at this moderately low ABV just doesn't allow for the quaffable yet feeding beverage I expect.

04-19-2004 19:29:42 | More by Rastacouere
Erdinger2003

Iowa

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured a very big and fairly dense head. The lacing sticks right away leaving layered lines behind. Color is clear and crisp golden. Smell is banana, wheat, orange with a hint of clove. A very flowery taste is present. It also has a saltiness to it. It has flavors of banana and orange. Mouthfeel is ok and softly carbonated. This wasn't a great bottle so I'll try another bottle later.

08-23-2006 22:40:17 | More by Erdinger2003
EliteDigger

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

A-Pours a nice golden sunshine straw color with a billowy white long lasting frothy head.
S-Lemon, grass, honey, with some faint herbal hops...yeasty.
T-Taste like it smells... some champagne-like lemony grass with a nice honey sweetness to back it up. A drying orange herbal quality hangs in the back... a touch of clove and apples in there?
M-Good carbonation and fairly smooth. Seems like an easy drinking beer without being too watery.
D-Decent tasting and the ABV isn't too bad... not sure how many of them I'd want to drink in a sitting though....
I'm glad I tried this...overall, not a bad beer, but one I'm not sure I'll go out of my way for.

02-23-2008 03:35:16 | More by EliteDigger