Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,513 | Reviews: 2,110
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

a-It pours with a nice lush three inch head,some lacing as it fades. Color is a hazy yellow gold.
s-Yeasty but nothing really jumps out, maybe some clove, some cereal,a little hay, a hint of sweetness, and some saaz.
t-Fairly tart and bitter, a touch of alcohol. Not that enjoyable to me.
m- Nice feel of carbonation on the tongue, dry, but seems to coat to my mouth after it goes down.
d- Drinkable but I couldn't do a lot of these.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

A - A rich cloudy and yellow body with one of the fattest/deepest pouring heads I've ever seen. Some lacing to go along.

S - A bunch of upfront floral and spicy notes with pungent citrus.

T - All kinds of things happening here. First off, getting a lot of alcohol action, but this gets balanced with a sharp ester hop character. A rather sharp finish that is reminiscent of isopropyl alcohol.

M - Sparkling, carbonation is apparent for sure.

D/Notes - One and done (7.7% ABV kind of seals the deal)

This is a real aggressive saison. I can tell it's extremely well-made, as Ommegang doesn't mess around when it comes to making good Belgian beer. I was a little put off by the rather strong alcoholic character, but perhaps that's how it should be. I admire the complexity and adventurous quality.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

330 ml bottle

A hazy lemon colour . The half inch fine white head dropped to a slick. Carbonation streams that lasted to the end. Some lacing but not a lot.

Strong smell of sweet lemon bread. Delicious!

Taste of Belgian yeast with a bit of sweetbread. Spicy - cloves, oregano and pepper. Fruity - mango and melon. The taste lasts well but there is no separate aftertaste.

There is a big bite in the first mouthful. Medium feel.

This is an enjoyable saison but lacking the big taste of the best of the style.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

A solid Saison with a very complex flavor. Wheaty with notes of pepper and citrus. Not overpowering and very enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

A- Pours a hazy pale yellow with a green tint. There's more than a finger of sturdy white foam that leaves some beautiful, yet assymetric lacing.

S- Yeasty and earthy with just a tinge of bright citrus.

T- There's quite a bit going on in the taste- yeast, some paleish malt, some fruitiness (not sure if that's hops, or yeast, or something else). It all comes together nicely except that there is an alcoholic taste, much like vodka, that doesn't meld well.

M- Great creaminess which is so full in the mouth, and yet the beer is also bursting with evervescence. I really enjoyed just parcelling the liquid around in my mouth.

D- A nice and complex beer. I will certainly buy this one again.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

I had this on tap at Waterzooi tonight and it felt different from the bottle version I was used to. It alternated between a little watery and having the coriander zing to it above the chunky grains. It looked great in its glass, but I was a little taken aback as I seem to like the bottle version better overall.

Strangely, the after taste came to me 5 minutes after I left the bar with the previously mentioned banana esters and the bitterness of the hops. I thought maybe the keg was on the way out, so I'll hold back on any further thoughts.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Cloudy, light amber with a sunset of golden variations.

S: A lemon, nutty character is highlighted by spicy apples and hot alcohol.

T: Spicy, bitter yeast on the front is followed by hot cloves, wheat, and an alcoholic burn. Finishes with a sour, medicinal quality with traces of salt. Leaves the roof of my mouth feeling warm and numb.

D: Not something I could "drink" for an evening.

Value: I paid three bucks for a 12 oz bottle. Not bad for what is obviously a high-quality ale.

On tap at Dave's house
Slightly hazy light golden color, earthy fruity funky aroma and flavor. Deceptively easy to drink farmhouse ale.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

L - huge foamy and frothy white head tops a hazy golden ale
S - fruity, zesty, spicy, aroma with orange zest, ginger, and yeast
T - zesty orange rind, ginger, pepper, spicy, yeasty, Juicy Fruit,
F - medium body, moderate carbonation, finishes semi-bitter
O - good saison, but the ginger is a bit overpowering at times

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Hazy, pale yellow coloring with nice lacing.

S: Not getting much on the nose, good or bad.

T: Citrus, yeast, bread, slight coriander.

M: Nice oily coating on the palate.

D: Highly drinkable. Quite impressed with the craftmanship of this beer. Saison is not my favorite style, but Ommegang does a great job with this - I would have guessed this was from Belgium in a blind tasting.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

Lace stuck to the inside of my glass and dthis had a thick white head that dissipated slowly atop a amber gold beer. Aroma was of a light hoppiness with spices. The flavor was a distinct spiciness from the yeast with a dry maltiness that definetly reminded me of a wheat beer. The carbonatin was very fine and truly in the belgian style. Very clean and excellent to have with dinner.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer pours a slightly yeasty golden color with a finger of white bubbly head that doesn't retain terribly long or lace much. The aroma is somewhat weak with the usual banana and spice notes, as well some earthy and floral hops. The taste starts sweet with banana and moves to some spicy notes and finishes with some hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is very well balanced and finishes clean. Overall a great saison.

Reviewed from notes...

Poured into a Snifter.

Appearance-Hazy yellow with a 4 finger white head, very bright. Not so good retention or lacing.

Smell-Grainy and Grassy with some light citrus.

Taste-Better then the aroma. I got a nice amount of grapefruit and some lemon citrus. Finish is sweet and tangy.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Can pick up some light booze.

Overall-Good beer, not outstanding. A little too sweet on the finish to drink that much at once. Could use a little more hops. Still a good beer that I would drink again.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a slightly fogged straw color. Nice white head. Nose is yeast funk with strong citrus and dough tones. Flavor is funky dough with an obvious yeast influence. Feel is a bit thicker on the liquid, it's the dough character peeking through again. Drinkable, yes. Not as good as I remember it being on the bottle though. Possibly a prime example of how bottle conditioning can really make a difference in certain beers.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a thick and abundant head and the color was a dark orange/gold, with a slight haze. The mouthfell was medium light, with bouncing carbonation. The aroma was citrusy, fruity with orange and a dash of spice that leans more towards ginger than pepper. The flavor was refreshing up front, sweet with notes of honey and grains. There is really little of any funk that you might expect from a "farmhouse" style. Little spice, aside from what adds sweetness. I do get a little bite from the hops, but not enough to round this out to as rich a beer as it could be. The drinkability is high. I know you shouldn't rate a beer based on what's not there, but I wanted more from this beer than what it gave.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

A-Pours lively yellow. A bunch of bubbles lead to a nice fizzed head. Medium sized head with moderate lacing. Very bubbly and mostly transparent.

S-Pretty light on any barnyard characteristics. More of the Belgian bananas, lemons, and other pale fleshed fruits. Light little grassy hop presence but overall a bit underwhelming I would say. Good, not great.

T-A little more musky. Grassy hops, spice a light sweetness (not fruit). The pale fruit flavors are there throughout as well. A pretty pleasant taste but far from my favorite from such a cool style.

M-Very carbonated and the ABV is masked very nicely. A very sessionable feel. Rather light but the body is fulfilling enough.

O/D-Not my favorite, but I can understand why this is such a well liked brew. Solid in every aspect but I would not put it among the best of its style.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a tall tulip glass.

Aroma: A light malt nose. None of the clove-y esters one would expect from a saison. Almost no aroma.

Appearance: Yellow-orange, with ruby highlights at the edges. Nice whipped meringue head.

Taste: Malty, sweet, and clove-t. Close to style, but a bit harsh.

Mouthfeel: Sharp.

Overall: I like this beer, and have it every chance I get. But when I finally set down to review it, it didn't hit the style notes I thought it would. It's perhaps a too-commercialized version of a saison.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into white wine glass from 750.

Fluffy white head-lacing is also fluffy. Slightly hazy pale straw color.

Nose is yeasty, citrusy, triple or golden ale smells. malt and yeast as it warms.

Flavors are lemony tartness, slightly sweet.

Light body, crisp, solid carbonation, sweet finish.

Very, very drinkable, even at 7.7% ABV. Gets all around better as it warms to 60+/-

I like this beer OK but I think Foret is far superior.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a brandy snifter. Nice light orange color with a solid two finger orange head. Very good appearance. A strong aroma of hops and fruit. Pleasant to the nose. The taste had a good subtle flavor of the citrusy fruits, mostly orange, and hops but seemed to be lacking a little of something. Mouthfeel was what I was expecting for the style, no residue left behind. Alcohol was high to be overly drinkable and its probably the wrong time of the year for this beer. I will definately be getting this for sipping on the deck next summer.

This was my first saison, it is a style I have just never bothered to try. I will be trying more in the future. This is the second Ommegang beer I have had that didnt live up to its hype. But, in this case, Im not sure there is anything necessarily wrong, I just may not know the style well enough. Yet. Will review my scores after I am more knowledgable.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Distinct buttery nose, but not diacetyl. It has a nice herb-like quality as if you were wandering through an herb garden. Somewhat barnyard-ish too. Very nice!

Pours out a dark hay straw color with a crisp white, fluffy head Lacing is spotty, but sufficient. Lots of visible carbonation supporting the head.

The flavor profile I can best use to describe this is dried wheat grass. It has a distinct earthy quality which is backed by herbal goodness. A little bit of black pepper on the finish rounds this beer out nicely.

Highly carbonated, moderate body, and a dry finish. Overall, I really like Hennepin. It's a quality saison and one that I will seek out again.

drinking at home while folding laundry and watching Howard Stern Tv on 8/24/08

appearance: beautiful cloudy tannish yellow color. big fluffy and robust head - lots of bubbles and hangs around quite a bit

smell: very crisp and light smell. a nice citrus smell - lots of things going on here - can't quite point them all out

taste: nice full body taste. by the appearance you would think it would be lighter, but it has quite a great full flavor.

great overall flavor, mouthfeel and drinkability.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

This is the 12 oz 4-pack version with what looks to be a bottled on date of 02/10/10 and a best by 02/12...I like it when both dates are stamped on there, the former much more important than the latter though. Pours a fairly clear, medium yellow color with a rather large-bubbled white head. Much lighter than expected and the foam does not stick around as long as I would like.

Smell is nicely farmhouse with some earthy lemon and yeasty clove/banana aroma. Grassy hops are notable as well as a wheat tang. Nose is quite nice.

Taste is somewhere in between a wit, hefe and saison. Has plenty of yeast esters but not really all that funky or bright like a DuPont. One of the better American renditions for sure, but the malt seems a little sweet and not grainy enough, while the lemon feels more like an American wheat than a saison. Hop bitterness is spot on and provides a nice cleansing on the palate. Tough love I guess, as saisons are one of my favorite styles and tend to grade harder. I like it, but feel like it lacks a bit in personality and farmhouse funkiness. I'd like a yeast with more personality, less sweetness and some more raw grainy aspect.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

My second bottle of Hennepin ever, this one sampled with a group of non-BA friends, most of whom really enjoyed it!

Poured a moderate gold colour with a finger-width white head into our clear plastic sample glasses (wine glass style). Aroma is spicy and peppery, with fall fruits (apples?) and a little bit of that well-known funk.

Taste is definitely farmhouse, with hay, grass, damp wood or leather, among other notes. The tart fruit elements remain, and the carbonation is relatively high, although I think that suits the style. Mouthfeel is pleasant if you're looking for something crisp and refreshing.

I know this is an oft-recommended beer for food pairings, and a popular beer in general. And, I agree that it's not bad. But I don't see anything spectacular about it, and I wonder if the only reason why it's such a good pairing is that its flavours are restrained and inoffensive. It's a good bottle to have around when friends come over and want something different but not too out there, though.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Damn, what a massive, fluffy white head that lasts forever! Tons of carbonation bubbles yet they don't show up in the taste.
Smells like a nice mix of butterscotch, caramel and earthy funk. Tons going on here!
Tastes much denser that it appears. Lots of earthy funk, a bit of lime, grapes and a bit of musk.
Very dry finish and a smooth drinkability. A really complex beer. Thanks to DannyS for the extra in a trade.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Another installment of my Saison journey.

A - Straw yellow, medium haze, a rather weak head with loose bubbles.

S - Somewhat restrained, a rather rustic graininess, some banana, wet grass, etc. Little funk.

T - Way sweeter than I expected. In fact, a little too sweet. There wasn't a great deal of funky sourness that I've gotten from other saisons and that was a bit disappointing. Light grassiness and banana notes.

M - Too little carbonation for a saison in my opinion, was a bit too cloying in its sweetness.

O - If I'm in the mood for a saison, there are four others that I would choose in front of this one. Just ok.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang