Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,505 | Reviews: 2,108
3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A pours a good gold color with a thin white head.

S spicy clove smell, with a light fruit note

T some slight clove notes and a hint of some sourness.

M light but not thin. Good carbonation.

overall an exemplary saison and an enjoyable drink for a hot day.

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Pours a very pale yellow with a huge amount of beaten eggwhite head. About 4 fingers worth and pure white.

S: Typical saison aroma. Lemon zest and pepper like spice. Lots of clove, yeast and bread.

T: Same as the nose but with a large amount of sweetness. This is sweeter then any saison I've had. Pretty spot on saison. Very traditional. Lots of Ginger root also.

M: Extremely carbonated. Tickles the tongue with tons of bubbles. Light and refreshing.

Overall: A nice example of an American saison. It's the the traditional componets. Lemon, spice, pepper. It's easily drinkable and enjoyable.

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%

750ml corked and caged bottle chilled and poured into a Pisgah Brewing Co. pint glass

A: Appearance is exceptional ... beautiful hazy straw color with huge fluffy eggshell colored head that takes forever to dissipate. Even with a gentle pour, it took several to fill the glass past the halfway point. As the head begins to recede, it leaves behind an impressive, sticky, and mesmerizing lacing.

S: The smell is not nearly as impressive as the appearance. More pilsner-like than a saison, there just doesn't seem to be much going on here. A little bit of barnyard funkiness, a bit of citrus fruits, and mildly yeasty, but overall, disappointing.

T: The taste is exactly what one would expect from the aroma. Again, more pilsner-like than a saison, with a slight breadiness, very, very subtle citrus and spice notes, and just a bit of booze at the end. There seems to be a lot missing here that would really help the profile. It's just bland as it is.

M: Mouthfeel is approaching impressive, but still a little on the lighter side with adequate carbonation that makes it bubbly and smooth on the palate. Not overly dry, which I think is a very nice characteristic.

D: Drinkability is very high, as the alcohol is hidden well and it drinks more like a plisner or a hefeweizen. I finished the bottle myself with dinner, and could have opened a second easily.

Overall: I have really been looking forward to trying this out, as it has received some pretty great reviews and is something that isn't available where I live, but I was really let down with this. HOWEVER, I should note that I think I opened the bottle too soon after taking it out of the fridge. The second glass that I had was better than the first, and some of the things that I look for in a saison (biscuity, spicy, funky, and citrusy) came out slightly as it warmed. Even then, though, this was like a light saison, if such a thing existed. I would certainly recommend serving this closer to room temperature and will if I decide to pick up another bottle.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - alightly cloudy gold. Big 2 finger head that doesnt go anywhere, big soapy bubbles.

S - yeast, sweet bubblegum. similar to a few weiss biers i've had lately.

T - mild sweet bubblegum that has spice in the background that makes it more enjoyable. slightly dry. crisp. hops are there but their bitterness is mixed with the dryness so it's hard to differentiate, but definitely refreshing and enjoyable.

M - Carbonation is definitely refreshing, but not overwhelming with too much of it. Slight sweet syrup touch, slick, i'd say.

O - didnt quite live up to the hype for me, but this is just my second saison. If I would drink it again, It'd be on a hot summer day and I would've had it nearly ice cold.

Not sure if it's worth the steep price.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy gold with a gigantic white head (pour it into a 16 ounce glass). Smells like yarrow and milkweed, like an overgrown field (typical of saisons). Flavours of coriander, yellow curry, fresh cut grass, booze. You have to like saisons to appreciate this, but it's a good one.

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. No fresheness date on the bottle, though doesn't really need it considering its bottle conditioned.

A - Pours a fluffy, bubbly two finger head. There was minimal lacing after the dissipation. Beer is a clear pale yellow, kind of disappointing in someways because I'm used to cloudier looking saisons but I guess thats whats fun about them; you never know what your going to get out of each brands beer.

S - Pale hoppy smell, kinda bready. Wheat, cloves, floral notes. Green apple, lots of spiciness.

T - Very crisp, has the usual saison tartness, however its a little over the top. Green apple is roaming around in there somewhere. Bready, estery alcohol tastes. Alcohol is very present at the end. Has a champagne like quality to it. Bready after taste. Finishes dry.

M - Body was very light and the carbonation was well balanced, which helped its drinkability. However, I thought the tartness was a little over the top and it didn't leave the greatest lasting impression on my pallet.

D - I enjoyed it but it was strangely more of a sipper than something i couldn't put down, which is unusual for me when it comes to saisons. I think the balance was slightly off. Overall, I enjoyed it but its not something that I would look for in the future. I think I was hoping for something else, probably something comparable to what I've had in other saisons (in terms of balance at least). Perhaps its just a different style saison, perhaps I need to branch out a little more. A good beer but not a great.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Fairly clear gold yellow color with a rocky, soapy white head. Smells of grain, light fruits... maybe banana, minerals, and... earthy funk. Fairly light, tingly hop spice, light fruit with the slightest hint of pear, minerally, some vinegary earthiness. Fairly light character but with a moderately bold spiciness. Fairly drinkable. Do not detect any alcohol... My first saison so it's hard to pinpoint the flavors or what I should expect but I don't find it overly exciting... The light sweetness or earthiness in this brew is a bit overpowered by the tingly, peppery, phenolic spice...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden orange with a big soapy head that leaves lots of lace.

Yeasty and citrus aroma. Loads of lemon, some earthy hay, and spice with clove standing out.

Starts tart with lemon and citrus. Next comes spices and mild earthy hops. Yeast is present, adding some funk. Finishes fruity with tart apple and pear.

Light-medium in body, clean and crisp. Pretty good drinkability, but a little too tart and complex to have more than 1 or 2. Solid refreshing beer with complexity.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

750 ml corked bottle. Poured a hazy light orange, as the cork goes the carbonation bubbles up like crazy . Into the glass it crackles and fizzes. Nose of hops in a citrus haze (I'm not sure which ones) and the Hennepin website says gingersnap.

Taste/Mouthfeel- Sweet but light taste, flavorful with notes of alcohol, hops, and fruit but the back is grainy, ginger and other notes are light but noticable.

Drinkability-actually refreshing, probably good on a hot day, here in the cold of early March in NY though the alcohol helps warm me up.

Overall- I'm not an expert on Saisons, but I will say that this is a refreshing complex ale and a fine beer. When I try more of this style I will appreciate or depreciate it more based on its competitors.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a yellowish oragnish grapefruit like color with a pillowy head that gives way to decent lacing. The aroma is of sweet malt and some citrus. The taste is sweet malt backbone with some citrus hints. The mouthfeel is very carbonated and bubbly. This is a very drinkable beer, nothing to turn you off, but it is a slighty funky taste, the alcohol is well hidden.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured out a pale and hazed yellow color. light carbonation with a creamy white head that thinned out quickly but left a nice lace.
I got some sour green apple along with a caramel sweet maltiness
from the aroma. Medium bodied, slightly spicy, slightly yeasty and drinkable. The sourness was pleasant on the tongue. A nice beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge off-white head on top of a quite hazy orangish-yellow brew. Sticky pale malt aroma with a healthy dose esters thrown in. Tastes sweet without being overly sweet itself. Flavors like pale malt, honey, vanilla. There was even a tiny toastiness that found its way into my glass. Hop flavor or bitterness wasn’t too prevalent, however there was some pepperiness to the beer. Carbonation was bigger than I’d like and the beer was more viscous than any Saison I’ve come across. Although there was some sourness, there is not as much as I had expected from a beer of this style.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Dortmunder Gold in color, very clear, big head, great retention and lacing but a bit soap-sudsy with big bubbles. Aroma is very faint and of spicy pickles. Flavor is very polished - fruit esters are banana and cherry with huge carbonation that annoys me. Verrry drrry. Malt is non-existant, could be all sugar for all I can tell. This beer is just fizz on the tongue and then leaves a little flavor there that is esters and spice. Not as much ginger as I remember. Struck me as Unibrouish and triplish, but not worthy of either really. This is a well-made effervescent creation, but fails to inspire me.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Reviewed on 7/12/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy light orange with a huge foamy head. Aroma of some skunk, funk, and sweet flowers. Flavor of nice sweet wheaty malt, yeasty funk, and light spices. Light and dry. I love light saisons and this was no exception. A refreshing beer.
7/4/7/4/15 (3.7/5)

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

On tap in a pint glass at 69 taps in Akron OH.

A - Golden amber color with not much head. The bartender poured the beers to the rim not leaving much room for head. This is ashame although they were cute.

S - Faint sweet smell.

T - Sweet with a fruity citrus taste.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation and a great finish.

D - Great, I could drink this all day.

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

From a bomber or 750ml bottle (can't remember), this Saison poured a light yellow with enormous lacing. A fresh biscuity aroma hits the nose on this light yet potent saison. The typical Belg. flavor profile comes out with clove and banana - this reminds me less of a saison than of a basic ale. A decent drink, though I prefer some other saisons over this one.

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 22 oz into my old trusty oversized wine glass. Purchased from Flair Beverages in Inwood, no freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance: Pours an apple juice color and looks extremely fizzy. There's a light one finger head on the pour that goes away fast with some light lacing.

Smell: Yeasty, like rising bread. Also a mild tart fruitiness that I couldn't quite place. I want to say boysenberry, but I think I've only had boysenberry flavored soda, not the actual fruit.

Taste: Up front it tastes like sweet country white bread. Pleasant enough. The finish, though, is superb. Complicated and spicy. Goes great with hummus.

Mouthfeel: This is where the drink suffers. It's way more watery than I would have guessed by looking at it. Where did all the carbonation that was apparent when I poured go? It's not unpleasantly syrupy like I find most low-carbonation beers, but I wasn't impressed.

Drinkability/Overall: This beer seems to get better as you drink it. I guess the tastes come out more as it warms. Also, this beer has one of the greatest differences between pre and post-agitation taste that I've ever had. Certainly drinkable, and I wouldn't turn down another, particularly with certain types of food. Still, I prefer the Rare Vos from Ommegang.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Hazy hay colored hue. Pours a 1 finger, persistent, bubbly, white head. Settles slowly, and unevenly. A little rising effervescence present. Thick peak and valley lacing.

S: Fermented fruit, lemon citrus, sourdough bread, and wet hay.

T: Really pungent, and bitter pecan shells, lemon rind, and soda water.

M: Pungent all the way through. Light and crisp. Dry finish. Very acidic.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is really solid. Nice hue, great head, and some pretty nice lacing. Nose is fermented, woody, wet and sour fruit and hay. Tastes like it smells. Pungent and bitter fruit rind and pecan shells. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

...This may be a truly great quaff, but saisons are not my favorite. Just a corollary to explain why my opinion may be way off.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden straw. White head, good amount that stays. Decent lacing.

Smell: This smells like a straight up saison. Not quite as musty as Saison Dupont. Slight bitterness from the hops melds well with the light malt bill.

Taste: follows the nose to a T. Nothing unexpected.

Mouthfeel: Thin and dray. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall: Not a bad beer. Give it a shot if you are a saison lover. I'd wait for warmer weather however. The saisons I've had this winter have just felt so out of season. Cheers.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance- Hazy straw colored pour, very thick head. Nice and fluffy but it subsides somewhat rapidly.

Smell- Smells strongly of yeast. Smells a little like it might be ester-y. Its smell is a bit on the funky side but its very light.

Taste- Clearly Belgian. Very complex, I can taste the following flavors in the following order: Ester-y burn that transitions quickly into sweet and yeasty, then... It turns to grass(?) and then to hops.

M- Nice carbonation, a little viscosity. Nothing major.

O- Ðid not know this style a lot until fairly recently. I like them a lot and this is a fair example of the style. In fact, this beer is downright delicious.

Note: Bought as part of the Ommegang christmas gift pack.. Well worth it for the price..

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - golden, clear, huge white head (cork went flying when started to pull it), tons of carbonation, leaves lots of sticky lace behind

S - bananas, fruit, spice, hay, grassy hop

T - more sweet banana, light pepper/spice, not much hop flavour, more in the bitterness, but still not a lot, aftertaste is sweet banana

M - highly carbonated, very fluffy and airy, not much crispness, low alcohol warmth

D - this is a good beer, but does not remind me at all of a saison/ farmhouse ale

This has a lot more in common with a Belgian Blonde or Tripel than a Saison. Lots of banana, not enough hops, and doesn't finish dry enough, or crisp enough to keep it refreshing. It is still a very good beer, just not at all what I was expecting.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A slightly hazy true yellow, with a foamy white head that persists like a barricade. The head was something I found myself having to fight through, but I know it's typical of the style. I expected the color to be slightly darker.

Smell: The aroma is light, yet beckoning, and typical of a saison. The main smells were of apricot and biscuit malt, and were accompanied by a breath of spicy hops.

Taste: A thirst-quenching blend of light malt, citrus fruit, sprinkled spices, and honey. A somewhat dry finish leaves little aftertaste at first, then suddenly gives way to a smattering of hops that have been gently warmed by alcohol. Very true to style.

Mouthfeel: The beer's medium-light mouthfeel and high carbonation is refreshing...once you claw your tongue past the seemingly never-ending foam party that is the head.

Overall: A very pleasant saison, but overall, nothing terribly special. I was a teensy bit irritated by the fact that I had to fight through the fizzy head to get to the liquid, no matter how much time went by or exactly how I poured the brew. Not sure I would seek it out in the future, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down. Next time, I'll drink it straight from the bottle to avoid the foam clouds.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Wow, I've never seen a beer with a head like this one. It was easily 4+ fingers tall. It filled 1/2 of my pint glass with a meringue like bright white head. I did not use an aggressive pour because I was trying not to get any trub in my glass. The label says not to be too delicate with the pour so as to "create a luxurious head." I definitely saw that. The meringue like head stayed around for the whole 750 ml bottle. It was easy to refresh the head with each pour. (3 times in total.) The beer color was a cloudy bright yellow. Kind of like if you mixed a BMC & a witbier.

S: Cloves, Cloves, and more Cloves!! As a matter of fact, I grabbed the spice jar of cloves from the cupboard and it smelled exactly like that an almost as intense!

T: Again, cloves and more cloves along with a sweet after taste. I was reminded of those clove spice jelly beans that are common around Easter time. I really like those jelly beans and was surprised to find a beer that tasted like that but in a good way.

M: OK to good I guess. I was so overwhelmed by the surprising flavor it was hard to pay attention to this.

D: I finished the whole 750 ml bottle while making the baked ziti for dinner. I took the last sip with dinner. Next time I think I'll wait to crack this open until after dinner due to the sugary sweetness.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Cloudy golden color with white head, leaving a good lacing. Smell is yeasty, with different spices, some lemon and clove, has a flowery smell too. Clove and bread beginning, with some sourness and spices coming through. Average carbonation paired with a light and dry body. Pretty good, would try it again.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

On tap at Red Restaurant in Santa Cruz.

Hazy golden color with an average-sized white head.

Aroma is sweet malt, light fruits, yeast, and a little mild funk.

Flavor is pale malt, earth, spices, light fruits, and mild hops. Not bad but would like a little more to it.

Fairly high carbonation, crisp and refreshing.

Very drinkable, but overall this is not quite as amazing as I expected.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang