Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 5,683
3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - golden, clear, huge white head (cork went flying when started to pull it), tons of carbonation, leaves lots of sticky lace behind

S - bananas, fruit, spice, hay, grassy hop

T - more sweet banana, light pepper/spice, not much hop flavour, more in the bitterness, but still not a lot, aftertaste is sweet banana

M - highly carbonated, very fluffy and airy, not much crispness, low alcohol warmth

D - this is a good beer, but does not remind me at all of a saison/ farmhouse ale

This has a lot more in common with a Belgian Blonde or Tripel than a Saison. Lots of banana, not enough hops, and doesn't finish dry enough, or crisp enough to keep it refreshing. It is still a very good beer, just not at all what I was expecting.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A slightly hazy true yellow, with a foamy white head that persists like a barricade. The head was something I found myself having to fight through, but I know it's typical of the style. I expected the color to be slightly darker.

Smell: The aroma is light, yet beckoning, and typical of a saison. The main smells were of apricot and biscuit malt, and were accompanied by a breath of spicy hops.

Taste: A thirst-quenching blend of light malt, citrus fruit, sprinkled spices, and honey. A somewhat dry finish leaves little aftertaste at first, then suddenly gives way to a smattering of hops that have been gently warmed by alcohol. Very true to style.

Mouthfeel: The beer's medium-light mouthfeel and high carbonation is refreshing...once you claw your tongue past the seemingly never-ending foam party that is the head.

Overall: A very pleasant saison, but overall, nothing terribly special. I was a teensy bit irritated by the fact that I had to fight through the fizzy head to get to the liquid, no matter how much time went by or exactly how I poured the brew. Not sure I would seek it out in the future, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down. Next time, I'll drink it straight from the bottle to avoid the foam clouds.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Wow, I've never seen a beer with a head like this one. It was easily 4+ fingers tall. It filled 1/2 of my pint glass with a meringue like bright white head. I did not use an aggressive pour because I was trying not to get any trub in my glass. The label says not to be too delicate with the pour so as to "create a luxurious head." I definitely saw that. The meringue like head stayed around for the whole 750 ml bottle. It was easy to refresh the head with each pour. (3 times in total.) The beer color was a cloudy bright yellow. Kind of like if you mixed a BMC & a witbier.

S: Cloves, Cloves, and more Cloves!! As a matter of fact, I grabbed the spice jar of cloves from the cupboard and it smelled exactly like that an almost as intense!

T: Again, cloves and more cloves along with a sweet after taste. I was reminded of those clove spice jelly beans that are common around Easter time. I really like those jelly beans and was surprised to find a beer that tasted like that but in a good way.

M: OK to good I guess. I was so overwhelmed by the surprising flavor it was hard to pay attention to this.

D: I finished the whole 750 ml bottle while making the baked ziti for dinner. I took the last sip with dinner. Next time I think I'll wait to crack this open until after dinner due to the sugary sweetness.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Cloudy golden color with white head, leaving a good lacing. Smell is yeasty, with different spices, some lemon and clove, has a flowery smell too. Clove and bread beginning, with some sourness and spices coming through. Average carbonation paired with a light and dry body. Pretty good, would try it again.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

On tap at Red Restaurant in Santa Cruz.

Hazy golden color with an average-sized white head.

Aroma is sweet malt, light fruits, yeast, and a little mild funk.

Flavor is pale malt, earth, spices, light fruits, and mild hops. Not bad but would like a little more to it.

Fairly high carbonation, crisp and refreshing.

Very drinkable, but overall this is not quite as amazing as I expected.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color from the bottle with a half inch of soap bubble head that boils away after a couple minutes. First smell brought with it a hint of skunk, but after that I found a mix of tripel/Belgian pale aromas--orange, pear, grassiness, and a spicy pepper note. Taste is similar to the smell, but tastier and with a nice alcohol presence. If the label didn't say otherwise, I would probably have classified this as a tripel. The finish contains apple flavors and mild hops.

Mouthfeel is a little spicy and there's a tart bitterness to the finish. The alcohol suits the mouthfeel and flavors, and while it is a refreshing brew, the nearly 8% ABV doesn't make this the most drinkable of beers. Interestingly, I remember the Hennepin I had on tap as a little fruitier. Nevertheless, this is a great offering from Ommegang, and I'd think about returning to it again when I'm in the mood for a Belgian.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Served in a Hennepin glass at Hopleaf 3/25/07. Assist by HeatherAnn!!!

A: Served a pale gold color with almost no head. Faint skim and ring.

S: Faint sweet aromas of fruit. Apples and pears. Hops in the nose also.

T: White wine grapiness, very lite barnyard funk, pretty tame for the style for me. Herbal hoppiness.

M: Very dry, hoppy, and bitter.

D: Pretty good. Too hoppy and too mild in all the other flavors, to me, for the style. I'll take a Saison Dupont or De Glazen Toren Saison any day of the week.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours a cloudy, straw yellow body with a small head with decent retention and nice lacing along the sides of the glass and the top of the beer until the finish.

S: A nice, sweet, fruity beer with hints of banana esters in the undertones.

T: A nice, malty taste with an alcoholic and banana ester aftertaste. Alcohol subsides as you drink the beer and the combination of the malts and the banana esters become quite complimentary.

M: A nice, crisp, refreshing mouthfeel that paired well with the taste, after it smoothed out.

D: A nice combination of the mouthfeel and the smooth, banana ester/malty taste made this a nice beer. Definitely at least worth a session if not a sixer.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Corked and caged in a 750 mL bottle. A nice popping sound upon opening the bottle. Pours a medium height white head that stayed for a medium duration. Clear deep gold, clarity is reduced when finishing the bottle due to stirring up the yeast a little

S: Clean smell with some citrus, spice, and yeast breadiness

T: Lots of yeast flavors but still on the light-medium side. Spicy, clove a little sweetness residue.

M: Nice belgian style higher carbonation Finishes fairly clean with some citriusy yeasty flavor residues

O: Smooth drinking saison with some nice flavors.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with active bubbling up the glass. Creates a nice, long-lived, foamy 1" off-white head. Leaves nice walls of lacing down the glass during a drink.

S: Bananas, lemony citrus, wheat, brett funk, a little barnyard / hay mustiness. At the right temperature, this is just a powerful bouquet and delicious to smell.

T: Wheat, lemon, and biscuit malt dominate the taste, with only a mild banana component in the background. The mid-taste sees mostly wheat with a slight smattering of clove spice. This progresses to a slightly tart/sour finish with a noticeable earthy undercurrent to it.

M: Thin-bodied, with active champagne-like effervescence. Well-masked ABV, with no burn to it. A clean, dry finish -- maybe leaning toward crisp.

D: I've had some outstanding saisons. This is in the middle of the pack, but it's a good option when I can't get the ones that I have to trade for.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

I have had this one on tap and loved it so I decided to pick up a bottle and see how it compared. A little dissapointed in the bottled version, but overall still a very enjoyable beer.

Poured from the bomber into a toulip glass yielding a big 2 finger fluffy snow white head. A little uneven in some places, and a little chucky in the head, but this is probably because of my pour and not the beer. The beer itself was a dull yellow color and some yeast sediment was present in the pour. A lot of carbonation streamed up the side of the glass throughout the sample and some patches (but no rings) of lace throughout the sample.

Smeel had a deep citrus and wheat smell. Similiar to a hefeweizen. I had had a Julius Echter earlier in the day and this smell reminded me of that. (A little different that its smell on tap). Some definite lemon zest type fragrance in the nose as well.

The taste was quite citrusy up front and crisp but not quite as crisp as my last sample. The bottled verision seemed a bit heavier and did not quite have the same thirst-quenching bite. It was just slightly bitter and very much carbonated. Towards the end of the sample it seemed to almost take on a bit of a grape taste.

Very light on the palate, yet still heavier than its tap version. Lots of carbonation.

Overall still very drinkable but not as good overall as my last on-tap sample. I will surely still buy this, but wish I could have my own little stash of it on-tap in my house.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a murky golden color with one finger of fluffy white head that leaves quickly, and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells strongly of bananas, spices, and yeast. Some cloves, orange, and citrus as well. Not much funk but enjoyable.

t - Tastes of bananas, spices, cloves, yeast, alcohol, and light citrus and fruit.

m - Light to medium body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - An ok saison but nothing amazing. It smelled pretty good, but thought the high carbonation and the alcohol in the taste hurt it a bit. No funk anywhere either. Would try again but wouldn't really seek out.

Shared with Cavery.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head. The color of gold; gold in them there hills!

S: Smells a glass of apple or pear cider, with a citrus "leaf" smell. If I were to whiff this unknowingly, I might suspect it could even be a champagne. It honestly smells pretty damned delicious.

T: It has a clean pale ale taste with a light orange juice finish. The scent deceived me, I thought it would be a little fruitier. Also attending the party is the delicious taste of bread, especially in the aftertaste. Light and yummy.

M: On a scale of 1 to Champagne, it's probably about a 6. The flavor lingers and lingers for a Saison.

O: I enjoyed this beer, but I wasn't falling out of my chair excited. It is crisp, and the sweet orange undertones were really nice. Admittedly, I could guzzle down a pint or two. But for a Saison, I feel like they could have pumped up the flavor a bit.

Sour out.

3.64/5  rDev -12.7%

25.6 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

ignoring the inch of foamy white head, the first pour out of the bottle looks surprisingly like an american macro. crystal clear, pale golden yellow. the second pour has a touch of haze, and the last is thickly cloudy.

aroma is light, but nice; peppery, barny, yeasty, with a touch of honey, champagne and fruits.

taste is also light, with a light-medium, fizzy mouthfeel and a drying finish. belgian yeast flavors, hop spices, and a barny, lemony sweetness.

very drinkable, but i'm not as impressed as others seem to be. pleasant to drink, but not a ton of depth or complexity.

3.64/5  rDev -12.7%

really does look exceptional, straw golden color and huge bone white pillow of head.
Overall this bottle is a bit differant then i remember, the aroma is fruity biscuty esters, but i remember in other multiple bottles there being quite a bit more funky wet hay, and a dryer cleaner mouthfeel on the pallette, it's all still good though.
Flavors are full of yeast and light peppered spices and clove. once again missing that wet straw im accustomed to with this one, this particular bottle is kinda dissapointing, if only for the fact i remembered it differantly.
The feel doesn't have as poppy a carbination as i would like, or as dry a finish.

I love hennepin, and have enjoyed other bottles as much as Fantome and Dupont, so this bottle was a semi-letdown, which is rare for ommegang, great brewery.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

After reading the rave reviews of other people here, I wonder if I might have gotten a bad sample.

Doesn't look like much, clear golden and bubbly. Smells really skunky, which first made me suspect the bottle might be off. Beneath the skunk however, is definitely some malt and fruit that keep it from being a total loss. Taste is a bit light, not unlike a very good pilsner, with a squeeze of lemon, and some added bitterness. Really not sure what to make of it.

The mouthfeel, however, is fantastic. This is an exceptionally smooth and creamy feeling beer, and it really improves the drinkability considerably. In the end, I'd call this a drinkable, if not great beer. Might be worth buying again just to make sure my bottle isn't off.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 750 mL. bottle (Bottled On 09/22/10 / Best By 09/2012) into a tulip glass.

A moderate pour yields a 3-finger off-white head that fades slowly but sticks around forever. The body is a cloudy straw gold with carbonation bubbles rising like an undersea volcanic vent. Thick lacing sticks to the sides of the glass in gloppy ribbons.

A good amount of funk is coming from the head, which is nice as I have had some rather complacent-smelling Hennepins before. Citrusy and oily lemon peel blends well with grainy wheat and, of course, the dominating funk.

A sweet grainy flavor holds a number of notes, including banana, lemon zest, and pepper. Where is the funk that is so explosive in the nose? The flavor is delicious, but not what a saison-lover would expect. It is much more approachable for the style, and as such, it is great for someone uninitiated to the saisons.

Light to medium bodied with decent carbonation, this beer has great drinkability. The carbonation is not overly apparent and does not cause the beer to fizzle when held in your mouth, but it is just strong enough to help push this beer along. The body is not coating and sticky nor light watery, but sippable and gulpable.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Look: Bright golden color, slightly cloudy, dense head with nice lacing

Smell: Lemon, spices, sweet malt

Taste: Up Front: Sweet malt. Finish: Fruit, spices

Mouthfeel: Light body, highly carbonated, with a dry finish

Drinkability: Crisp & refreshing

Overall Impression: This is a beer I've had several times, but I have never been overly impressed with it. It's a good beer to drink on a hot summer day, but I can think of many others I'd rather drink in its place. That's just my opinion. If you look elsewhere, you'll see that this beer is very highly rated. Judge for yourself.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

pours a straw blonde with a nice white head showing good retention.

The smell is dusty hay with some sweetness and biscuits in the background

Belgian spices and herbs augment a fruity malt.

drinkable, but not as excellent as I had anticipated based on its ratings. Maybe I'm just not big on saisons in general, because it seems well constructed, but I don't envision myself drinking another one any time soon

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

750 ml bottle poured into a goblet.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I was slightly let down by this ale. Bottle-conditioned, Belgian-style ale brewed in Cooperstown, NY? And one of the "Duvel family" of ales? I wanted to like it--no, LOVE it.

The verdict is in, and I would submit that it's pretty good, but not great. (Disclaimer: This was my first foray into the "saison/farmhouse" type of ale, so I can't relate it to others of the same type.) The bottom line is that the dryness and lemony-ness of this ale are overpowering. Considering the healthy ABV, and the fact that it's a Belgian-type knockoff, I would ask for a little more complexity. This ale has a lot of flavor; it's just not as interesting it could be (kind of like typing in ALL CAPS).

Apparently many other reviewers like it, so it might be at the top of its class for all I know; I can only speak within the limitations of my own experience.

Would I drink it again? Certainly. Would I *buy* it again? Not at that price point--there are better alternatives.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Hazy orange-yellow with lively bubbling and a solid head. Coarse, grassy hop aroma and some Belgian spiciness and funk. Sharp is a good word for the nose on this one. Feels a bit watery and finely carbonated - champagne-like. Grassy hops are in the flavour as well with a little bit of fruit and spiciness and banana. Overall, the flavours have a bit of a rough edge I think.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

a - poured a two-fingers thick, white, bubbly and fizzy head into a snifter that left minimal lace but after swirl of the glass a fluffy head came back strong. the body was clear and golden.
s - mild hints of lemon, bananas, medicinal or alcoholic esters with a little dry biscuity aroma thrown in.
t - spice and biscuits.
m - slick and clean on the tongue with a little crisp kick.
d - easily drinkable and enjoyable. i've had this one for a while and enjoyed but i seem to like it fresher.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle. No freshness date noted.
Pours out a hazy golden straw color, with a fluffy egg white head and lively carbonation. Thick patches of lacing left behind.
Aroma is banana and yeast and musty. a little stanky cheese.
Flavor is sweet honey and lemon, with some peppery spice.
Finish is ruby red grapefruit and citrus zest. touch of alcohol burn on the throat.
Second glassfull paired well with some asiago cheese.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light straw with a slight haze. Large big-bubbled head. While receding, leaves some spotty lace.

Typical farm house stinky; I mean that in a good way. Sour smell similar to old dough.

Spritzy and sour; lots of yeast bite. Quite light in the body. Tastes as if there is a lot of wheat in this beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I've taken a long time to get to this one, but I'm glad to finally get to it. I've educated myself on saisons recently with a lot of Fantome, so I'm confident I can give this the fair review it deserves. 7.70% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its reputation.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a two finger white colour head - disappointingly thin - of slight cream, and great retention for the high ABV (~4 minutes). Body colour is a hazy pale yellow-gold. Thin minimal lacing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Nontransparent. Translucent.

Sm: Crystal malt, brett yeast funkiness, heavy lemon esters and lemon zest, lemongrass, rustic spicing (perhaps cilantro and clove if I had to guess), and pale malts. Maybe a bit of light white pepper. The lemon citric zest is pure and fragrant, evoking a fine dry champagne. Pear effervescence. Honey. Pale grains. A moderate strength evocative aroma. I can't wait to try it. Yeasty and inviting. No alcohol is detectable.

T: Delightful lemon citrus esters and lemon zest; these notes are dominant. Complementary funky yeast as well with notes of clove spice and maybe even a bit of banana and phenol. Some light biscuity character. Crystal malt. Dry pear and champagne notes. A hint of sour green apple - but not to the extent you'd see in a patersbier. Pale unobtrusive malt body. Rustic spices seem primarily yeast-derived. Refreshing and a bit tangy. Some honey. Perhaps some light fermented pineapple. These bright fruit esters also seem to come from the yeast. Little malty sweetness - just enough to aid the balance. I quite like it. What's sorely lacking is white pepper; a quality saison should always have peppery qualities but this one lacks them. Still, it's a balanced and well-layered saison. No alcohol comes through either, and it manages to remain refreshing. It doesn't lack complexity, but saisons are a complex style, and more could certainly be done. Maybe my Fantome consumption has driven up my expectations.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some effervescent dry champagne qualities as well. Excellent carbonation and thickness, complementing the flavour profile and coaxing out the more subtle flavours. Good palate presence. Refreshing and enjoyable.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. Hides its high ABV well. A quality saison from Ommegang, but it drinks a bit too much like a witbier with its heavy reliance on lemon notes. Still, I quite enjoy it and I'd definitely get it again if I was in the mood for a domestic saison. It's a fine offering and a fairly priced one. Lives up to its reputation. Very refreshing. Bravo, Ommegang.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang