Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,094 | Hads: 5,633
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Pale, cloudy amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Spicey/citrus nose. Starts almost sweet reminds me of a wheat, tart finish. $5.35 for a 750ml bottle from Butter's Fine Food & Wine Concord, NH.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: This beer was very clear. Crystal clear even. A decent head that faded fast to a small head that lasted with sticky lace. The color of the beer was an orange/red color with a white head. The bubbles came up like champagne.

Smell: Very spicy with some hop highlights. A little alcohol enters the nose.

Taste: At first there was way too much cabonation to even taste this beer but after it breathed for a little bit the carbonation wasn't as rough. This beer was very spicy. My first Saison and it was almost like all the other Belgians I have had.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated at first. After it breathed it was consitent. It had a nice not too thick but creamy consitency, very nice.

Overall not a bad beer but not my top choice.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

No best by date on this bottle.

A: Pours a light golden ale with some haziness. A three finger, large bubble, whipped meringue-like head hangs out nearly indefinitely. Nearly total sheets of lacing. Almost perfect look.

S: Earthy hops, bready grains. In saisons, I always anticipate the yeast will play a large part, not only in the nose, but also in the taste. Wait, there it is, slightly funky, with hay smells, hint of metallics.

T: Again, earthy. I am struggling to determine if the flavors I'm getting are actually from hops or yeast. Slightly bitter, peppery, lots of grain. Still hints of metal. A little clove on the finish.

M: Light body and highly carbonated. Dry finish.

O: Well done. I'm new to saisons, but I know each saison can, and IMO, should, have it's own unique characteristics. This one seems to be simple, subtle, unobtrusive.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap in a Hennepin glass at San Diego Brewing Co.

Pours a clear golden wheat color. Semi-spicy aroma. Unfortunately, on-tap this misses a lot of the yeast and other sediment that one gets from a bottle pour. Taste includes spices and citrus, but the yeast flavor isn't present. Still totally drinkable and nice, but it's much more enjoyable poured from the bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first had a bottle with the same label as in the photo which was in fact brewed in Belgium by Duvel. It would've rated at least a 4. Clearly superior to the second bottle brewed in NY with a silver label.

Color, taste, look, head, mouthfeel were all superior from the Duvel brewed version. The newest version tasted more like triple to me.

Overall average and will be sticking with abbey ale from ommegang.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: A nice hazy yellow, with a big billowy white head. Good lacing.

S: A lot of spice and some dark fruit.

T: Good, but not as great as the other reviews made it out to be. Did not meet my expectations. Has a sour fruity taste, with a sweet aftertaste. Mainly spicy and citrus up front.

M: Well carbonated, but not heavy.

D: High. It was shared with friends, but one can easily finish off a 750 ml bottle.

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance - Poured 12 oz bottle into Unibroue tulip glass. A murky light golden color, huge head that dissipates after a couple of minutes to a thin lacing. Very bubbly all the way.

Nose - Spicey clove-like, sour alcohol, some light fruitiness--nothing I can pinpoint.. Extreme funkiness, doesn't really smell appealing.

Taste - At first it is somewhat fruity, but a fruit with a sour bitter bang. Less spices are there than what I got off the nose, but they're still evident. I don't taste the citrus that others describe. Leaves a pleasant dry bitterness in the mouth, lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel - Decent. Surprisingly light and smooth considering the amount of carbonation present off of the pour.

Drinkability - Excellent. Finished my 12 oz in no time. A little more bitter than I anticipated but this is a strong brew overall. I've only tried a couple of saisons, so I don't know too much about them. You can't really go wrong with most of Ommegang's offerings... Delicious beer at a decent price.

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%

Got this from the standard 12oz Hennepin bottle and poured it into a lager-style glass. It honestly did have one of the tightest foam heads I've seen in a while. Head was a very clean white-capped 2" foam. The foam dissipated very quickly and left a very nice lacing throughout the drink. The color of the beer was a light gold.

The smell was very faint. I even ordered a second one just for another opportunity to see if I missed something (I promise!) in the scent.

The alcohol content for Hennepin is relatively high for domestics (about 7% or so). However, the taste shined through the alcohol very easily. One could taste things like lemon and light hops but not fruity enough to make one stand up and take note (the fruitiness in beer is honestly not much my thing -- so nothing lost too much).

The feel was light but definitely not too light. I detected a fair amount of chewiness but not a heck of a lot. Again I am neutral on this.

I could very easily entertain a session of Hennepin but without the price I found at a local pub. I would drink it again gladly... unfortunately, for the moment there are other ales that have caught my attention over this one.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Hazy golden hue wearing a thin white head. A very vinous nose with more alcohol than expected. Quite fruity overall with grapes, lemon/citrus, but it could use a bit more spices to my liking. Saison-ish hay character is very well defined though and appealing. Lots of warming alcohol in mouth also, a solid hay field accompany typical cereals. Mildly acid with more lemon, yeasty with a dry bitter finish. The body is highly carbonated, a bit too much for my tastes with this particular flavor profile, it's smooth and big enough to support the warming effect nevertheless. I must say I expected more from one of the rare american Saison, the obvious alcohol at this moderately low ABV just doesn't allow for the quaffable yet feeding beverage I expect.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours out like lemonade, hazy yellow that looks very dilute. Has an explosive head that goes up to about three fingers and dies down to about one and retains at that point very well. The color is not that attractive but I think the haziness is due to me pouring in some of the sediment. Other than that the appearance is pretty strong. Smell is a mix of Belgian yeast and malts, some fruit (apples, bananas) and a bit of sour. The overall strength of the smell is a bit weak and I start to pick up more and more alcohol as I drink it. Taste is pretty much the same as smell. Belgian yeast and malty flavors, fruits (apples, bananas), alcohol and some sour. A tiny bit of hops. It is stronger than the nose and pretty much just a solid Belgian flavor. It eventually dies down to a very dry almost rye like taste with alcohol, the loss of flavor is disappointing. Mouthfeel is pretty suitable. The carbonation is medium and the body is pretty light but a bit creamy. Not really watery at all. This beer is pretty warm for 7.5%. Drinkability would be better if the alcohol did not take over and the flavors did not die. The price is not that great for how much I liked this beer. Maybe I'll try it again after I have some more Saisons.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Undated 12oz, poured into a tulip.

Pale gold, almost looks like sparkling apple juice with lots of carbonation and a huge white head. The lace is thick and leaves gobs of foam that look like rock formations.

The smell has a touch of lemon paired with floral hops. Slight mustiness.

The taste is rather tart, almost puckering. There's some dryness from the hops underneath, but the tartness is almost overpowering.

The mouthfeel is a bit light. Sessionable if the tartness doesn't get to you.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Served from a 750 ml brown bottle.

Appearance: Effervescent golden straw colour with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Slightly musty with an herbal hop aroma. Pale malt through the nose.

Taste: Crisp and bitter with some higher than average tartness. Some pungent leafiness and grassiness. A little musty and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and pretty highly carbonated, textured medium bodied brew.

Impressions: Not bad, pretty interesting low-brow tasting brew. There is some interesting funkiness in the taste of this beer. It's pretty bold though, so some people may dislike it. Fans of IPAs should try this.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Dull...Boring and everything in between. Maybe I missed something about this beer, knowing that it is one of the top 50 I was excited to try this but it disappointed me greatly.

Poured a hazy honey colored yellow with a large and enchanting white head. Big bubbles all around.

Aroma was of yeast, fruitiness, grasses in a blender, a few spices, etc.

Flavors included all kinds of fruits, yeast, and spices. Not bad but certainly not what I was expected. Alcohol was well hidden though and it did leave an excellent lace on the glass.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

A-Pours a nice golden sunshine straw color with a billowy white long lasting frothy head.
S-Lemon, grass, honey, with some faint herbal hops...yeasty.
T-Taste like it smells... some champagne-like lemony grass with a nice honey sweetness to back it up. A drying orange herbal quality hangs in the back... a touch of clove and apples in there?
M-Good carbonation and fairly smooth. Seems like an easy drinking beer without being too watery.
D-Decent tasting and the ABV isn't too bad... not sure how many of them I'd want to drink in a sitting though....
I'm glad I tried this...overall, not a bad beer, but one I'm not sure I'll go out of my way for.

12oz, don't see a date on the bottle
Beer Scene chalice

A: Pours a cloudy, pale yellow gold color. Full finger of bright white head. Nice carbonation it appears. Some light white lacing will be left.

S: Smells like that traditional Belgian yeast strain. Some citrus notes. Light crisp hops.

T: It's an interesting Saison. It's like a blend of a wit and Saison in my opinion. You get some of that banana, some coriander from the yeast similar to a wit. But the nose has some traditional Saison notes. The carbonation almost makes it creamy and silky.

M: Light leading to medium.

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

An average looking beer. Pale hay/copper with hardly any head. A bad pour by the bartender?

A malty yeasty aroma with hints of earth & meat. Somewhat sour fruit, lemon, orange, and melon.

Carbonated yet creamy mouthfeel with flavors of lemon fruit, sour candy, earth, flowers, and some grilled vegetable flavors. Leaves a sour off taste in the finish.

I've had this bottled and thought it was far superior. Could have been dirty lines?

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

9/18/2005 $4.49 750 mL 7.70% No best by date.

Pours a clear pale gold with coarse carbonation that yields roughly a quarter inch of thin white head in my chalice.

Green pepper mixed with an abundance of black pepper mask a somewhat malty background.

Very peppery, with coarse carbonation, and an overabundance of carbonation. My second saison this weekend, and while I enjoy this more than the Fantome, this ain't my cup of tea. Bitter, unappealing, and even though cheap, not worth it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a nice straw yellow, slight haze, nice bright white head, sticky bubbly lacing. Lots of yeast, funky aromas. Slightly sweet aromas as well. Tastes pretty bitter, lots of hops. Finishes with a piney aftertaste. More belgian funk flavors, enjoyable. Lots of earthy notes. Mouthfeel is nice, heavily carbonated, slightly fizzy, thick, crisp, smooth. Drinkability isn't bad, but the harsh bitterness brings it down.

Nice offering from Ommegang.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring from a 22 oz. bottle, it pours into a tulip glass at room temp a lemon peel color w/ 1 1/2" white eggshell head. Very spongy with lots of sustainance; fairly cloudy appearance.

Aroma is mostly citrus with some slight spice (coriander?). it has a lot of sourness to the nose along with a bit of alcohol...a bit much for 7.5%.

Sipping is a bit of sour & bitter lemon flavor, but a lot of alcohol and carbonation kills a lot of the flavor i hoped to get from this. Some peppery flavor sneaks through along with some yeast. Maybe a bit of grass hops at the end along with some alcohol.

Lots of carbonation stings my tongue but the body is rather light. Decent alcohol bite. Could be better.

Overall, this is okay, but a bit disappointing to me considering the source of brewing.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%

12 oz bottle picked up from Binnys Schaumburg.

Appearance: Cloudy, straw colored with a wonderful two-inch white head that laces well down the glass and never disapates.

Smell: Sour grain-like aroma. A slight peach aroma, but there was a slight macro lager aroma to this bottle.

Taste: Smooth with some tart characteristics that are reminiscient of Granny Smith apples. A slight citrus acidity exists, but there was not any hint of coriander, clove, cinnamon or orange peel. A slight hop earthy hop character, but not much bitterness.

Overall: Quite different from the usual 750 ml bottles I've become used to. I feel somewhat let down since this is one of my favorite beers. May have to go buy a 750 ml for a side-by-side comparison.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours cloudy with a frothy head, like pineapple juice but with a slightly more amber hue. The nose is unspectacular: banana and chalk.

The beer is well carbonated but smooth on the tongue. It tastes sweet and creamy with hints of lemon and maybe a little pineapple. Reminds me of stewed fruit with cream. I don't taste much in the way of spice here. Certainly doesn't remind me of clove cigarettes!

Quite light and refreshing for a strong beer, rendering ti eminently drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

750 ml bottle. Poured into a flute, which seemed appropriate.

Not sure if it was the glassware choice, but this really looked like champagne. Light in color with a large white head. Extrememely effervescent - again, like champagne. Smells nice - very rustic.

I admit to not being such a fan of the saison style, but I will do my best to rate this beer objectively. It went down very easy, but I felt the fruit was a bit too tart for my taste. Pears, pineapple, bananas, etc. are all very apparant, however I felt none of the sweetness of the fruit was incorporated. The aftertaste was very much like a dry champagne. Goes down very easy.

All in all, I think it is a fine example of the style, but certainly not my thing. But if you love saisons, you have to give this one a try.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

A: A hazey straw color with great foamy head and good retention

S: Slightly skunked smellbut mostly a strong some spicey frutyness

T: Theres some citrus up front and i Definitely taste Coriander and mabey a little honey at the end.

M: Has a good lightness to it. its smoth up front and a little course at the end with good carbonation.

D: Its drinkable the more of it i have the more i like it but its just not my cup of tea i dont think i would buy it agian.

3.54/5  rDev -15.1%

Excellent brew, just not to my tastes.

A - Marvelous, undeniable foamy white head. Gotta be careful when pouring this one out!
S - Not much scent to this one. A little disappointing. I caught a slight citrus not, but not much.
T - Citrus and hops, both on the mild side. I also get this chalky/earthy flavor I can't place. Maybe it's just me. Regardless it's not a good flavor in my book. Luckily it's not overwhelming.
M - Nice fuzzy bubbles, though smooth and light.
D - Quite easy to down. Even more so for others I'd imagine.

3.54/5  rDev -15.1%

750ml into a Duvel tulip. Pour produces a huge head of offwhite big bubbles reaching about 4" and slowly dying down leaving a rocky cap as it goes. The beer is an expected hazy orange-gold.

Aroma is full of fresh sweet malt, husk, and apple with herbal and floral hops seamlessly blended in. Perfume like.

The flavor is immediately sweet, but not overpoweringly so, quickly followed by big banana and plenty of carbonation bite. Finish is quick and dry. Not much depth to the flavor.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, somewhat slick but with plenty of fizz to keep it from sticking. Very easy to drink and refreshing. Easy to put back a little too fast, but it's a quencher of a style and it does the job well.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang