Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,552

Well what do you know?
The cave aging really does make a difference.
Tastes more... Belgian... than the original version, specifically, to my taste buds, like Delirium Tremens.
Smells much fruitier than the original... to my nostrils, more like Ommegang abbey.
Tastes are concentrated.
Stronger, drier and crisper.
It is tempting to rate this a 5 all around.
Where the hell is cave aged Three Philosophers? (413 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Presentation: 750 ML bottle, no dating of any kind, poured into the Hennepin slender golbet style glass that was sold with the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color, light carbonation rising inside. The head formeda thick, creamy off-white color that faded slightly but maintained throughout.

Aroma: Peppery, spicey, tough to describe but very inviting.

Taste: Lemony and up front, then cloves, yeast and alcohol follow seemingly all at once. Sweet and spicy flavors battle and balance each other perfectly. The finish is dry and spicy but not bitter. Overall, exquisite.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, smooth, and creamy. The carbonation was also in good balance.

Overall: I'm honestly in shock that something this good is made here in the good ol' USA. No offense to American brewers, but beer this good is usually exclusive to Belgium. Arguably the best beer made in this entore country. If you have not tried this yet, do so immediately. (956 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a semi cloudy golden orange color. Nice big head which lasts for a few minutes. Aroma is nice, with yeast, spice and citrus aromas. Some hoppy aroma too.

Taste is great. Nice spiciness in the taste with some hoppy flavors. Some yeast taste as well, an interesting herbal flavor comes through as well. Very slight apple like flavor, and possibly grapefruit. Nice spicy/hoppy bite on the finish. So many different flavors, it is hard to separate them all.

I really like this one. I keep forgetting this one is brewed in New York. One of the best American brewed Belgian style ales I have had. (634 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured a 750ml bottle into an Ommegang Chalice, this beer pours a nice golden colored brew with a full thick frothy head and awesome lacing. The head becomes chunky as you drink it and stays nice throughout.

It smells of yeast, fruit and spices.

This beer tastes simply awesome. The beer has an awesome creamy head that mixes nicely with a fruity, spicy wheat taste. Tastes like it smells. The balance of this beer is amazing. The taste is enjoyed anywhere anytime of the year, incredible.

Ommegang makes some first class beer. The taste for this style is the best I have had. Until I find something else that is better, this to me is my desert island beer for the style. Awesome. (684 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Best Belgian-style beer for the Price!

Appearance is a hazy yellow-orange color. Ample carbonation that matches the style perfectly. Beautiful fluffy white head that clings to the glass and stays throughout consumption.

Aroma is hits of the yeast with some alcohol presence up front. A major contribution from the yeast that gives it an almost bready smell (as in the yeasty-bread dough before it is baked). Definitely spicy peppercorn with some citrus notes of mainly lemon and orange.

Taste is excellent. Immediately hit with spiciness and yeastiness. I get some of the orange peel and coriander, however not much of the other labeled ingredients. Some nice flavors of lemon juice and zest with a touch of lime zest in the mid palate as well. A moderate amount of classic pepperiness with some biscuity notes. Totally complex!!! At the end a very mild kiss of hops makes the beer incredibly balanced and drinkable. The beers carbonation allows the beer to be extremely refreshing.

For about 3 dollars a bottle, this beer is cheap in comparison to other Belgian beers (normally 5 and up), however it doesn’t lack in complexity and character. It is owned by the same company that produces beers like Duvel (another favorite) and Achouffe, so that’s another perk of known quality! This would go well with many different food pairings. I think pairing this beer with something equally spicy would work well such as some excellent cured meats like hot coppa or soppressata. Again, for the price, this beer is my go to! The only thing that isn't perfect is that as the beer warms up it gains a slightly more present alcohol hit (amplified by the flavor of raw ginger) that detracts from all of the other great flavors. It isn't terrible, however, I did have to mark it down for that reason. However, I still give it 98/100 points! (1,840 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

A lighter, dryer brew than the Ommegang, but no less complex. Lemon, orange zest, spicey finish. There plenty going on with each swallow of this outstanding beer. (162 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; I couldn't resist and poured out all the yeast... a hazy golden orange with overflowing pure white thick head. Little rentention and good sipping lacing.

Smell: Wild, musty and earthy yeast. An all out funky yeast bomb... outstanding. Little mushroomy twang and grassy earth.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, slick and lively in the mouth even though there is little carbonation.

Taste: Honey sweet malt with tart lemon and the nutty spicy yeasty kick. The hop bitterness comes in as a warming and lingering finish. The floral essence is beautifully mixed in with everything. This is the most complex beer I've ever had.

Drinkability: Unreal, complex yet drinkable. Sweet, tart and almost bitingly crisp. I think this would be a fascinating intro for anyone who thinks they don't like beer. At $7 for a four pack I'll be picking up more soon. (882 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

I've been a little too intimidated to review this beer for some time. There is just no way an amateur like myself can do it any justice but I will do my best. It is simply spectacular.

Appearances first: I love the fact that Hennepin comes with a champagne style cork in a 750 bottle. Like all of Ommegang’s beers, it is fun to open but that is just the beginning.

Hennepin pours a rich gold. It’s sticky and its head lasts and lasts and lasts longer than just about any beer that I have ever seen. It’s highly viscous, globular, and almost alive.

When I tilt my snifter, my Cabernet/Bordeaux glass, or my goblet of Hennepin the head forms a brilliant lacey coating around the bottom of the glass. It doesn’t dissipate. It just rests forming a different beautiful pattern each and every time I tilt.

Furthermore, Hennepin has an intensity in its hue and brightness that is almost unrivaled. This is a beautiful beer.

Onto the smell: Hennepin smells like I would imagine an idyllic Medieval farm to smell like: grain, straw, horses, sacks of dried flour, pepper, and of course, a beautiful lady. As tripe as this may sound, I assure you that Hennepin does indeed carry with it a quality that reminds me strongly of William Goldman’s the princess bride. This beer smells like I would imagine Buttercup’s hair to smell, utterly perfect.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hennepin is medicinal, no doubt about that. Its taste is robust and ads vigor to the body. There are also most certainly elements of lemon and grass, freshly baked drop scones, honey, and biscuits. The finish is dry and nutty, leaving the mouth thirsty for more. It wraps and warms the tongue and coats the palate, stomach and esophagus. I can’t get enough.

Drinkability: Unmatched.

This beer breaks the arguments of wine snobs down to detrital slime. (1,834 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle - no visible dating system. Picked this up in Indy during Xmas with the folks and just found out going to be avail again in Texas!!! I poured it into my Delirium Tremens tulip glass and it was a golden yellow color. It had a tremendous head with bunch of initial carb that settled into a thin foam with great lacing. The aroma was spicy and fruity but just a little too subtle to be a 5 but it's close. The mouthfeel was perfect was for me - it had a great creamy feel with a tongue tickling from the carbonation. The taste was also perfect. It's sweeter and less dry than some other saisons I've had which is perfect for me since I favor sweet over dry. Overall, this is a top 5 beer for me and I can't wait till available in Texas again. Highly, highly recommend. (5, HR, T, Y, HOF) (828 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This is awesome; i love the citrusy/belgian, but not too sweet thing it's got going. Much more drinkable than a belgian, I think. you could drink a ton of these, and not get tired...but you might fall over, as it's pretty strong. I think the all around drinkability is due to the nice effervensence and citrus taste. good in any weather.

I would have given it all 5's, but I suppose it could be improved...not really sure how. (429 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This has been my favorite beer for the last 4-5 years, so of course I have a high opinion of it. The most striking thing is the carbonation and head. It actually looks like someone is pumping bubbles into each glass, it is so lively. It is light in color, but cloudy. Once you get beyond the look the taste is exceptional and it is truly an outstanding drinkable beer.

I prefer heavier darker beers in winter and lighter during the warmer months, but I enjoy Hennepin 12 months of the year. This beer is the benchmark from which I compare all beers. (553 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

A- Huge white head forms immediately and sticks. Cloudy golden beer underneath. Yellowy straw- Perfection of the farmhouse look. TONS of tiny bubbles constantly rising.

S- Light smells- banana and clove in a beautiful balance. Rich.

T- Perfection of floral nose leading to a lightly sour sweetness, with a completely dry finish.

M- Grows in your mouth... the thick head is washed down by light beer with big flavor, and the small bubbles move all around, spreading the taste and aftertaste. Bites with carbonation and finishes quick and dry, leaving your mouth ready for another sip.

O- The best farmhouse saison I have tried thus far. Perfection in the melding of flavor and feel- the light yeastiness, flowers and spice and the perfectly dry finish make it top shelf champagne in the form of beer. (805 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

750ml bottle #0336. Cave aged at Howe Caverns from early 2003 until September 2003. Drank in April of 2004. This is one of only 3,360 bottle that was cave aged at a constant temperature of 52 degrees Fahrenheit.

OK, so this stuff, like the cave-aged Ommegang and Rare Vos that I had quite some time ago, *is* different than the regular Hennepin. Is it worth $9 for the 750, as opposed to $4-5 for the regular Hennepin? I'd say yes, and here is why...

This brew pours out with a familiar orange tinted gold colour, and a large, rocky head of white foam. This brew was slightly cloudy, yet still very attractive in my chalice. The singature fruity aromas were even more complex, in this sample, and the spicy/herbal hops were definately much more pronounced as well. This brew has a nice bready middle, and an everlasting spicy hop finish. The flavors melded together very well, making for an exceptionally smooth drink, that drained from my glass too quickly. If you like Ommegangs products, you owe it to yourself to try the cave-aged stuff...it's all really quite good. (1,076 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. 1/2" fluffy head on top of a cloudy golden ale. Lacing sticks to the glass quite well, and a small head retains throughout. Looks a lot like a witbier, maybe a touch darker.

First smell was a bit offputting, and with that I mean it almost smelled musty, or even like some cheap beer that I wish to forget. Subsequent smells reveal more. Yeast and citrus? Bubblegum? I'm not the best with recognizing smells in beer aroma. I was almost offended at first, and worried I wasn't going to like this, but then...

Great flavor in this, much better than the initial smell. Fruitiness, citrus, bubblegum, it's a sweet beer up front. Wow. This is the first beer of this style I've ever had, and if this is what I can expect from the style, I'm certainly a fan. It's similar to a witbier, without the spice notes. Somewhat dry on the finish, but not bitter, not hoppy. Just a great, highly drinkable beer. I'll be buying this again, no doubt.

Mouthfeel is similar to a witbier. I keep going back to that, but it's my best point of reference. Pretty much perfect drinkability. I would say this could easily be a session beer.

Amazing. (1,165 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Hazy pale orange with a decent off-white head that dissipates. Good carbonation. Spicy yeasty Belgian aroma; light alcohol notes and citrusy tones also. Spicy and citrusy (grapefruit ?) taste with a light alcohol finish. Medium bodied and smooth with a strong spicy finish.

A nice, yet spicy/yeasty, intro to Belgian beers.

Label states: "Belgian Style Ale" & " Bottle Conditioned" & "Grisette Farmhouse Ale"

Aged (2 years maybe)
Tasted: 07/11/03

($3.99 / 25.4 oz / 750 ml Corked bottle) (500 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass small disappearing head, with slow but steady carbonation. Sugary, biscuity, sweet with a hint of clove aroma. Sweet and crisp with the carbonation makes it burst on your tongue. Alcohol extremely hidden. Very drinkable and enjoyable. An instant favorite. (295 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Cloudy golden yellow with a foamy head that pours with the deadly ability to climb with vigor right out of your glass and onto the table. (which happened to me) The bouquet reveals musty fruit with a bit of spice and a slight alcohol presence. The taste is strong at first with a bit of the alcohol up front and a yeasty spiciness which rounds out to reveal a strong fruit presence and some slight hop bitterness that surfaces towards the end. Intense fruit flavors ride out throuh the very long and smooth finish enticing another swill. Well structured with good complexity, very well balanced, and dangerously drinkable. (626 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Ommegang Tulip Glass.

Aside from Saison Dupont, this Saison is one of my all-time favorites. I love the yeasty taste and the earthiness it delivers. The carbonation is higher than other beers and delivers a nice bite. The typical belgian spices of coriander and orange peel are very sublte and only add to the already delicious taste. I had the opportunity to visit the brewery last year and highly recommend it to anyone. For a brewery that's only been around for 11 years now, they turn out some amazing belgian-style brews.

($2.70, 12oz, Oliver's Bev., Albany, NY) (602 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a "corked and caged" bomber bottle into a wine goblet.
Cloudy, straw-gold in color, with a bright white head of voluminous foam.
Aroma-Spicy Belgian yeast, pear, honey notes.
Taste-Pear, golden apple, spicy Belgian yeast, white pepper. Wonderfully effervescent, 'tingly' mouthfeel. Spicy,refreshing, earthy hop notes, crisp, peppery finish. "Gulpable" but be mindful of the 7.7ABV. Rustic,classic Farmhouse style. Excellent! (437 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%

This is my first saison, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this beer is awesome. It usually takes me a couple of beers to warm up to a style, but I liked this one off the bat. Are all saisons this complex? (213 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

A 12 oz bottle and a four pack of these for $9.99. What a deal! A pale, cloudy, straw gold with a tremendous head and superb retention. The head sits proudly and leaves good lacing as it recedes at a glacier pace. More as I drink. Some carbonation is visible through the fog.

Smell is classic Saison. Belgian yeast funk, herbal notes. Light phenolics. Muted banana and wheat like twang. Spicy pepper in the back of my nose. It gets bigger as it warms.

Taste is knock it outta' the park good. Maltiness that recalls fresh French bread combined with a wheat malt flavor. Spicy and peppery as well. A touch of lemon and an herbal component that deepens the melage. Sharp but mild hops bring in the finish and blend into nuttiness. Dry, short and clean. There is a light sweet roll taste that lingers with nutty biscuits. Faint banana, and peppery spices.

Crisp and quenching mouthfeel is accented by a lively carbonation and tingly light creaminess.

Drinkability is so good you think session until the reality of the abv sets in. Still, it goes down so easy and smooth and the taste so perfect you just don't care and dive in for all you can get.

A top tier Saison. One of my favorites and for the price you just can't beat it. (1,230 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Golden hued, well-bubbled and with a luxurious 3/4 inches or so of foamy head. Foamy legs down the glass side. Strongest notes in the nose are of a fruity, estery nature, with plenty of belgian yeastiness. Banana may be the most dominant of those notes. Lingering non-sweet esteriness. An excellent flavor; expertly balanced between sweet fruit, mild pepper spice, and a warmer earthiness. Hides the 7.7 ABV well, perhaps dangerously so!

Overall that is a damn fine saison. For me, it's this and Tank 7 as the best American saisons. But there's always more to try! (565 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had this on tap and from a 750 mL bottle. Unfortunately for the review I'm using the 750 poured into goblet.

A--Pours a golden hue with a bit of yeasty haze. Big fluffy full white head that slowly diminishes to a thick sticky lace.

S--Tangy honey scent at the nose with a peppery phenolic kick.

T--Very winey honey taste at the start with a nice acidic nose. The finish has some floral notes with hints of pepper, grass, citrus, and earth. Beautifully complex.

M--Medium bodied with perfect carbonation which complements the acidic bite in the taste.

D--7.7% so not a session beer, but I could drink this all day. Just perfect anytime of year. I could also see it as a great food pairing. (698 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured this dirt and mold covered bottle into a hennepin glass. This is a bit of a departure from it non cave aged brethren. Its quite a bit more subtle and all of the flavors kind of meld together in a nice sequence of mouthfeel and flavor at the same time. It has wonderful looking floaties that look great when held up to the light. Has a more understated mouthfeel than the non cave aged version and is much more pleasant to drink. I may go to the brewery tomorrow to get some adoration ale, maybe I'll pick a few more of these up while I'm there (550 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- A lovely cloudy amber/orange with a huge rocky head that persisted with nice lacing.

S- Spicy rich and complex with hay/grass, citrus and a nice barnyard mustiness underneath.

T- Like it smells. Rich and spicy with a wonderful complexity. Notes of honey and coriander. Strong flavors but not overpowering.

M - Full and creamy with a lingering finish and lively carbonation.

D- This is an excellent saison and will definitely be in my cellar from now on. Finished the bomber over a couple of hours and enjoyed this one to the last sip. (577 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang