Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,552
4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

A lighter, dryer brew than the Ommegang, but no less complex. Lemon, orange zest, spicey finish. There plenty going on with each swallow of this outstanding beer. (162 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; I couldn't resist and poured out all the yeast... a hazy golden orange with overflowing pure white thick head. Little rentention and good sipping lacing.

Smell: Wild, musty and earthy yeast. An all out funky yeast bomb... outstanding. Little mushroomy twang and grassy earth.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, slick and lively in the mouth even though there is little carbonation.

Taste: Honey sweet malt with tart lemon and the nutty spicy yeasty kick. The hop bitterness comes in as a warming and lingering finish. The floral essence is beautifully mixed in with everything. This is the most complex beer I've ever had.

Drinkability: Unreal, complex yet drinkable. Sweet, tart and almost bitingly crisp. I think this would be a fascinating intro for anyone who thinks they don't like beer. At $7 for a four pack I'll be picking up more soon. (882 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

I've been a little too intimidated to review this beer for some time. There is just no way an amateur like myself can do it any justice but I will do my best. It is simply spectacular.

Appearances first: I love the fact that Hennepin comes with a champagne style cork in a 750 bottle. Like all of Ommegang’s beers, it is fun to open but that is just the beginning.

Hennepin pours a rich gold. It’s sticky and its head lasts and lasts and lasts longer than just about any beer that I have ever seen. It’s highly viscous, globular, and almost alive.

When I tilt my snifter, my Cabernet/Bordeaux glass, or my goblet of Hennepin the head forms a brilliant lacey coating around the bottom of the glass. It doesn’t dissipate. It just rests forming a different beautiful pattern each and every time I tilt.

Furthermore, Hennepin has an intensity in its hue and brightness that is almost unrivaled. This is a beautiful beer.

Onto the smell: Hennepin smells like I would imagine an idyllic Medieval farm to smell like: grain, straw, horses, sacks of dried flour, pepper, and of course, a beautiful lady. As tripe as this may sound, I assure you that Hennepin does indeed carry with it a quality that reminds me strongly of William Goldman’s the princess bride. This beer smells like I would imagine Buttercup’s hair to smell, utterly perfect.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hennepin is medicinal, no doubt about that. Its taste is robust and ads vigor to the body. There are also most certainly elements of lemon and grass, freshly baked drop scones, honey, and biscuits. The finish is dry and nutty, leaving the mouth thirsty for more. It wraps and warms the tongue and coats the palate, stomach and esophagus. I can’t get enough.

Drinkability: Unmatched.

This beer breaks the arguments of wine snobs down to detrital slime. (1,834 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle - no visible dating system. Picked this up in Indy during Xmas with the folks and just found out going to be avail again in Texas!!! I poured it into my Delirium Tremens tulip glass and it was a golden yellow color. It had a tremendous head with bunch of initial carb that settled into a thin foam with great lacing. The aroma was spicy and fruity but just a little too subtle to be a 5 but it's close. The mouthfeel was perfect was for me - it had a great creamy feel with a tongue tickling from the carbonation. The taste was also perfect. It's sweeter and less dry than some other saisons I've had which is perfect for me since I favor sweet over dry. Overall, this is a top 5 beer for me and I can't wait till available in Texas again. Highly, highly recommend. (5, HR, T, Y, HOF) (828 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This is awesome; i love the citrusy/belgian, but not too sweet thing it's got going. Much more drinkable than a belgian, I think. you could drink a ton of these, and not get tired...but you might fall over, as it's pretty strong. I think the all around drinkability is due to the nice effervensence and citrus taste. good in any weather.

I would have given it all 5's, but I suppose it could be improved...not really sure how. (429 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This has been my favorite beer for the last 4-5 years, so of course I have a high opinion of it. The most striking thing is the carbonation and head. It actually looks like someone is pumping bubbles into each glass, it is so lively. It is light in color, but cloudy. Once you get beyond the look the taste is exceptional and it is truly an outstanding drinkable beer.

I prefer heavier darker beers in winter and lighter during the warmer months, but I enjoy Hennepin 12 months of the year. This beer is the benchmark from which I compare all beers. (553 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

A- Huge white head forms immediately and sticks. Cloudy golden beer underneath. Yellowy straw- Perfection of the farmhouse look. TONS of tiny bubbles constantly rising.

S- Light smells- banana and clove in a beautiful balance. Rich.

T- Perfection of floral nose leading to a lightly sour sweetness, with a completely dry finish.

M- Grows in your mouth... the thick head is washed down by light beer with big flavor, and the small bubbles move all around, spreading the taste and aftertaste. Bites with carbonation and finishes quick and dry, leaving your mouth ready for another sip.

O- The best farmhouse saison I have tried thus far. Perfection in the melding of flavor and feel- the light yeastiness, flowers and spice and the perfectly dry finish make it top shelf champagne in the form of beer. (805 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

750ml bottle #0336. Cave aged at Howe Caverns from early 2003 until September 2003. Drank in April of 2004. This is one of only 3,360 bottle that was cave aged at a constant temperature of 52 degrees Fahrenheit.

OK, so this stuff, like the cave-aged Ommegang and Rare Vos that I had quite some time ago, *is* different than the regular Hennepin. Is it worth $9 for the 750, as opposed to $4-5 for the regular Hennepin? I'd say yes, and here is why...

This brew pours out with a familiar orange tinted gold colour, and a large, rocky head of white foam. This brew was slightly cloudy, yet still very attractive in my chalice. The singature fruity aromas were even more complex, in this sample, and the spicy/herbal hops were definately much more pronounced as well. This brew has a nice bready middle, and an everlasting spicy hop finish. The flavors melded together very well, making for an exceptionally smooth drink, that drained from my glass too quickly. If you like Ommegangs products, you owe it to yourself to try the cave-aged stuff...it's all really quite good. (1,076 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. 1/2" fluffy head on top of a cloudy golden ale. Lacing sticks to the glass quite well, and a small head retains throughout. Looks a lot like a witbier, maybe a touch darker.

First smell was a bit offputting, and with that I mean it almost smelled musty, or even like some cheap beer that I wish to forget. Subsequent smells reveal more. Yeast and citrus? Bubblegum? I'm not the best with recognizing smells in beer aroma. I was almost offended at first, and worried I wasn't going to like this, but then...

Great flavor in this, much better than the initial smell. Fruitiness, citrus, bubblegum, it's a sweet beer up front. Wow. This is the first beer of this style I've ever had, and if this is what I can expect from the style, I'm certainly a fan. It's similar to a witbier, without the spice notes. Somewhat dry on the finish, but not bitter, not hoppy. Just a great, highly drinkable beer. I'll be buying this again, no doubt.

Mouthfeel is similar to a witbier. I keep going back to that, but it's my best point of reference. Pretty much perfect drinkability. I would say this could easily be a session beer.

Amazing. (1,165 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Hazy pale orange with a decent off-white head that dissipates. Good carbonation. Spicy yeasty Belgian aroma; light alcohol notes and citrusy tones also. Spicy and citrusy (grapefruit ?) taste with a light alcohol finish. Medium bodied and smooth with a strong spicy finish.

A nice, yet spicy/yeasty, intro to Belgian beers.

Label states: "Belgian Style Ale" & " Bottle Conditioned" & "Grisette Farmhouse Ale"

Aged (2 years maybe)
Tasted: 07/11/03

($3.99 / 25.4 oz / 750 ml Corked bottle) (500 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass small disappearing head, with slow but steady carbonation. Sugary, biscuity, sweet with a hint of clove aroma. Sweet and crisp with the carbonation makes it burst on your tongue. Alcohol extremely hidden. Very drinkable and enjoyable. An instant favorite. (295 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Cloudy golden yellow with a foamy head that pours with the deadly ability to climb with vigor right out of your glass and onto the table. (which happened to me) The bouquet reveals musty fruit with a bit of spice and a slight alcohol presence. The taste is strong at first with a bit of the alcohol up front and a yeasty spiciness which rounds out to reveal a strong fruit presence and some slight hop bitterness that surfaces towards the end. Intense fruit flavors ride out throuh the very long and smooth finish enticing another swill. Well structured with good complexity, very well balanced, and dangerously drinkable. (626 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Ommegang Tulip Glass.

Aside from Saison Dupont, this Saison is one of my all-time favorites. I love the yeasty taste and the earthiness it delivers. The carbonation is higher than other beers and delivers a nice bite. The typical belgian spices of coriander and orange peel are very sublte and only add to the already delicious taste. I had the opportunity to visit the brewery last year and highly recommend it to anyone. For a brewery that's only been around for 11 years now, they turn out some amazing belgian-style brews.

($2.70, 12oz, Oliver's Bev., Albany, NY) (602 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a "corked and caged" bomber bottle into a wine goblet.
Cloudy, straw-gold in color, with a bright white head of voluminous foam.
Aroma-Spicy Belgian yeast, pear, honey notes.
Taste-Pear, golden apple, spicy Belgian yeast, white pepper. Wonderfully effervescent, 'tingly' mouthfeel. Spicy,refreshing, earthy hop notes, crisp, peppery finish. "Gulpable" but be mindful of the 7.7ABV. Rustic,classic Farmhouse style. Excellent! (437 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%

This is my first saison, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this beer is awesome. It usually takes me a couple of beers to warm up to a style, but I liked this one off the bat. Are all saisons this complex? (213 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

A 12 oz bottle and a four pack of these for $9.99. What a deal! A pale, cloudy, straw gold with a tremendous head and superb retention. The head sits proudly and leaves good lacing as it recedes at a glacier pace. More as I drink. Some carbonation is visible through the fog.

Smell is classic Saison. Belgian yeast funk, herbal notes. Light phenolics. Muted banana and wheat like twang. Spicy pepper in the back of my nose. It gets bigger as it warms.

Taste is knock it outta' the park good. Maltiness that recalls fresh French bread combined with a wheat malt flavor. Spicy and peppery as well. A touch of lemon and an herbal component that deepens the melage. Sharp but mild hops bring in the finish and blend into nuttiness. Dry, short and clean. There is a light sweet roll taste that lingers with nutty biscuits. Faint banana, and peppery spices.

Crisp and quenching mouthfeel is accented by a lively carbonation and tingly light creaminess.

Drinkability is so good you think session until the reality of the abv sets in. Still, it goes down so easy and smooth and the taste so perfect you just don't care and dive in for all you can get.

A top tier Saison. One of my favorites and for the price you just can't beat it. (1,230 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Golden hued, well-bubbled and with a luxurious 3/4 inches or so of foamy head. Foamy legs down the glass side. Strongest notes in the nose are of a fruity, estery nature, with plenty of belgian yeastiness. Banana may be the most dominant of those notes. Lingering non-sweet esteriness. An excellent flavor; expertly balanced between sweet fruit, mild pepper spice, and a warmer earthiness. Hides the 7.7 ABV well, perhaps dangerously so!

Overall that is a damn fine saison. For me, it's this and Tank 7 as the best American saisons. But there's always more to try! (565 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had this on tap and from a 750 mL bottle. Unfortunately for the review I'm using the 750 poured into goblet.

A--Pours a golden hue with a bit of yeasty haze. Big fluffy full white head that slowly diminishes to a thick sticky lace.

S--Tangy honey scent at the nose with a peppery phenolic kick.

T--Very winey honey taste at the start with a nice acidic nose. The finish has some floral notes with hints of pepper, grass, citrus, and earth. Beautifully complex.

M--Medium bodied with perfect carbonation which complements the acidic bite in the taste.

D--7.7% so not a session beer, but I could drink this all day. Just perfect anytime of year. I could also see it as a great food pairing. (698 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured this dirt and mold covered bottle into a hennepin glass. This is a bit of a departure from it non cave aged brethren. Its quite a bit more subtle and all of the flavors kind of meld together in a nice sequence of mouthfeel and flavor at the same time. It has wonderful looking floaties that look great when held up to the light. Has a more understated mouthfeel than the non cave aged version and is much more pleasant to drink. I may go to the brewery tomorrow to get some adoration ale, maybe I'll pick a few more of these up while I'm there (550 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- A lovely cloudy amber/orange with a huge rocky head that persisted with nice lacing.

S- Spicy rich and complex with hay/grass, citrus and a nice barnyard mustiness underneath.

T- Like it smells. Rich and spicy with a wonderful complexity. Notes of honey and coriander. Strong flavors but not overpowering.

M - Full and creamy with a lingering finish and lively carbonation.

D- This is an excellent saison and will definitely be in my cellar from now on. Finished the bomber over a couple of hours and enjoyed this one to the last sip. (577 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

750ml bottle caged and corked.
When poured into a tulip glass, I got cloudy golden color with a massive head of foam. Got the same head of foam everytime when I poured a little more into my glass when it got a little low. The smell had lots of fruits and spices in it. It smelled like wine but better. The taste had a lot of spices, fruit and citrus in it and with a hoppy aftertaste. Very complex. This beer is cheap at below $5 for 750ml bottle and one hell of a good beer. This is another beer that I would buy again. Keep up the good work Ommegang! (553 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a HUGE fluffy white head which ever-so-slowly dissipates while leaving a cloud floating above the drink. Nice crystal golden color.
Smells lagerish (to me): light malts, grain and essence of hops. Main difference being the high yeast note expected from any Belgian-style brew. Inviting.
Breaded flavor at the forefront from a biscuit malt, yeast and hop grain. Hops seep in to provide a surprising kick without overpowering the brew. Yeast gradually dominates the back end of the flavor creating a dry, puckering finish. Slight lemon note and an overall sweet & sour character. Very well balanced and inviting for more.
Crisp, easy-drinking with a dry finish in the mouth.

What else can I say but, wow. This is my first saison and I'm debating whether to try any others as it may ruin this first experience. Great job by Ommegang for creating such a complex yet simple tasting brew. (889 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

This beer was tasted in a oversized wine glass from the 750mL corked bottle.

This beer pours a very slightly hazy brilliant gold with a frothy white head. The head holds and laces very well. The smell is spicy from the characteristic saison yeast and lemony with touches of hops all around. The taste is very refreshing. The spicy yeast and slightly wheat characteristics are present along with some light fruitiness. Hops abound and interplay perfectly with the spice from the yeast. The mouthfeel is light-medium with lively carbonation. Overall, a fantastic beer. One of the best belgians out there..and made here in the US. (628 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

750 ml champagne style bottle purchased at the bewery. Cave-Aged Version. Poured into an Ommegang glass.

As good as the regular Hennepin is, this version that was aged in caves for eight months in upstate New York is even better. It is not as sharp, and is slightly sweeter. There is a slight apple sweetness to both the smell and the taste that is wonderful. The is still a slight spicy bite upfront, but it mellows into a wonderfully smooth finish. This is one of the best domestic beer I have had the pleasure to try. I think it might be even better with another few months of aging, that would allow it to mellow even more. (630 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

On-Tap. Poured into a tulip glass.

1" white head above a body on the yellow side of light amber. Carbonation steadily flows holding the head which leaves good lacing.

Smells of some sweet fruitiness but a good amount of peppery spiciness.

Tastes are sweet Belgian sugar flavors, some lemony fruitiness, pepper. The malt flavors along the lines of fresh baked bread. A warmth his the palate late and it finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is moderate with good carbonation.

Drinkability is wonderful. The flavors are strong but I love them and don't see my palate getting too tired of them.

This is the beer to pair with a big stinky cheese. (635 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang