Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,547
3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Hazy golden hue wearing a thin white head. A very vinous nose with more alcohol than expected. Quite fruity overall with grapes, lemon/citrus, but it could use a bit more spices to my liking. Saison-ish hay character is very well defined though and appealing. Lots of warming alcohol in mouth also, a solid hay field accompany typical cereals. Mildly acid with more lemon, yeasty with a dry bitter finish. The body is highly carbonated, a bit too much for my tastes with this particular flavor profile, it's smooth and big enough to support the warming effect nevertheless. I must say I expected more from one of the rare american Saison, the obvious alcohol at this moderately low ABV just doesn't allow for the quaffable yet feeding beverage I expect. (753 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Nice golden coloration with a lofty white head. Smell of light tropical fruits, lemon and dry yeast. Crisp lemon flavors and distinct tastes of apple peel. Esters floating on the palate and a good shot of hop bitterness on the finish. Great Belgian yeast flavors. Another amazing beer from Ommegang. (299 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%

A very handsome beer with a cloudy amber color and a soft pillowy head that lasts for a good long time. When the head disappears, a think layer of spotty froth coats the surface of the beer.

It smells of pine, horseblanket, sulfur, and green banana with some sweet malt in there as well.

The taste hits with a swirling combo of the sweet malt and a hop bite. The two move back and forth and leave with a hop zing and slightly banana sweet malt flavor.

The mouthfeel is solid with only a hint of prickle.

I detected a plastic taste in earlier batches, but that is gone now. I enjoy this beer even if Hennepin County in MN is giving me headaches. (657 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great looking beer, with the taste to match. I love the color of this beer. It falls between a sparkling yellow to gold. Pours with a nice foamy white head that simmers down just enough to cover the beer. Smell includes every fruit in the holiday fruit basket...fresh pears and definitely a strong citrus aroma. One of the first Belgians I have had, so the taste was definitely a mystery when the first drop hit my lips. Smooth taste with a sweet aftertaste that is in no way dissatisfying. When I let my girlfriend try it, she thought she was drinking a champagne or sparkling wine. The carbonation is odd, but somewhat refreshing. Definitely a beer that I could have a couple of if it was in the budget. (712 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6%

750mL bottle into an oversized white-wine glass.

This beer pours out much like a sparkling wine or champagne with a deeper golden copper appearance. Major carbonation that gave a beautiful fuzzy (or in my original notes furry) taught head that left a few nice tracks of lace. Streams of bubbles rise to the top throughout the duration of the bottle.

The nose screams apples, with a slight bit of pear and banana. This has more of a conventional ale-smell than most Belgians that i've tried. Subtle perfuming of alcohol as well, moreso than the higher ABV Ommegang.

The taste is amazingly well balanced. The generous hopping cuts through the sweet cidery tones perfectly. A spiced flavor balances perfectly in harmony with the malts, sugar, and hops. Immaculately brewed. For price and freshness, a Duvel breaker.

I'm with Todd, one of these in a night would not be enough. (884 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Taking the cage off and running my finger over the cork was enough to send said cork halfway across the room causing my friend to dump half of a storm king onto his lap. Wow, I like this beer already. It pours a cloudy orange color with a billowing fluffy white head. There is definitely a fruity/spicy smell to it. Taste is spicy, hoppy, and fruity all rolled into one. Mouthfeel is decent, consistent to many other caged and corked Belgians I've had. A great beer from a great brewery. (487 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a cloudy gold colored brew with heavy carbonation.

Smell is apples and lemons, sage, flowers, spices, pears, and 20 more things I can't pin down at the moment.

Taste is sweet, spicy and complex. Perfume flavors abound like lavender, pepper, roses, apples, nutmeg, nuts, yeast, bread, and 10-20 more flavors.

Mouthfeel is much like Champagne, or Duvel.

Super drinkable, this is very similar to Duvel. Super pleasant to drink. Think of this as the Batman that opposes the Duvel Joker. (500 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Hoppy and a bit bitter and dry. Colour is like a Belgian pale, despite some cloudiness. Very bubbly in the pour, moderate head.alcohol is there. Yeasty aroma.
I had this 3.5 years later on tap, at Cole's,and observed lacey and dry bitter and spicey. (249 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: This beer was very clear. Crystal clear even. A decent head that faded fast to a small head that lasted with sticky lace. The color of the beer was an orange/red color with a white head. The bubbles came up like champagne.

Smell: Very spicy with some hop highlights. A little alcohol enters the nose.

Taste: At first there was way too much cabonation to even taste this beer but after it breathed for a little bit the carbonation wasn't as rough. This beer was very spicy. My first Saison and it was almost like all the other Belgians I have had.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated at first. After it breathed it was consitent. It had a nice not too thick but creamy consitency, very nice.

Overall not a bad beer but not my top choice. (756 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

I admit that I am not all that familiar with this style though I have enjoyed Brewery Ommegang's several other worthy offerings. This pours a clear light golden color (I got the first pour out of the large bottle--the later pours got a bit of the typical cloudiness of a bottle fermented brew). There is a large white head, and the effervescence is evident right from the outset. The head receded slowly, and the lacing is tenacious but not sticky. The aroma is tart, dominated by citrus and ginger with an underlying wheat maltiness. The taste, I'm afraid, was initially a bit too rubbery for my palate, letting the alcohol reign for a moment or two, but as it moved to a finish the aforementioned aromas insinuated nicely themselves into the mix. The mouthfeel is thin to medium with lots of carbonation. (806 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Ive had this beer several times and I finally found out that I havent reviewed it yet, so here goes. The beer pours with huge frothy head, which seems to have a certain rigidity to itself, retaining a tall lofty shape in the middle, even as it dies down around the sides. The lace patches up nicely along the glass. Bubbles float aimlessly from the bottom. The smell is wonderful, with immediately recognizable hints of the heavy wheatiness of the beer, a ton of spices, a hint of lemon and an overall yeasiness that makes me think of bread dough. There is bit of hoppiness evident, and touch of straight alcohol is also present. For lack of a better term, it smells very thick in the nose. The taste follows right along with the smell. It is very warming and thick, with the wheatiness of a weisse beer, showing a strong yeast character again, with the alcohol definatley tastable. The exact characteristics of the spiciness escape me, but its a heavy part of the taste. Mouthfeel is a light syrupy viscosity, with tons of tiny carbonation filling the mouth. Drinking this gives me a nice warm feeling. A nice throw back to the past, as this was one of the first "real" beers I ever had. (1,188 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Hennepin was served from a 12. oz bottle. In a Duvel tulip, the beer was murky and straw colored, with a fine head that left fascinating tendrils of lacing. Very attractive. The nose was quite wonderful, with a zippy lemony acidity garnished with coriander, a rough orangy mustiness, and a touch of sweetness. The taste began with a lemony citric tinged sweetish malt base that developed accents of mandarin orange. The beer finished amazingly with an energetic smack of bitterness followed by ever lingering lemon-lime-orange notes...I loved this. However, I felt that the beer was a bit too sweet and not crisp/dry enough for a saison. For this reason I had to deduct a half-point, but I must stress that this was the only negative. The beer had the appropriate vigorous carbonation, and the body was full and smooth. (819 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

served in 750 mL bottle.

pours a bright golden color with slight whitish cloudiness. super fluffy, pillowy head. label calls this a saison, not a style i'm too familiar with...
aroma is of belgian candi sugar and cloves.
taste just blew me away. very very similar to duvel, which shouldn't surprise me because the ommeg brewery is owned by moortgart.
slightly "farmhousey," grassy flavor especially reminds me of duvel. alchol packs some punch, but spicy hops flavor and belgian-esque sweetness all meld together to balance out nicely.
sweet finish but super duper drinkable.
this is a real crowd pleaser. all the complexity of the big belgians is here. a great blonde beer. i highly recommend it. (705 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

It pours a clear twinkling gold with sparkling bubbly accents. A couple fast fingers of variegated white head settles quickly to a Berber carpet of froth. Dainty lacing clings prettily on the glass.

The compact aroma leads with a rounded sweetness of malt and berries, along with a distant pie cherry tartness. The yeast carries a diaphonous air of gentle sourness.

Upon sipping, a biscuit malt sweetness leads off, but checks its swing as a drier, more tart berry note takes over. The grain character continues on to a pas de deux with mellow spice elements, certainly clove, and maybe coriander. Alcohol comes through clearly toward the end, along with a slight doughiness from the yeast, and these fade to a dry bitterness at the finish. The unique proportions of the various components lead to an intriguing balance.

Medium bodied, it clings determinedly to the tongue and mouth, leaving an even deposit of the round flavor. A mild dry bitterness glows on the tongue at the finish.

The drier components vying with the subdued sweetness leads to a refreshing union of both. Each element works in proportions that seem something other than the usual. The result is a stylish marriage of common qualities, a unique result indeed. The ABV is credible and overt, but exists in a friendly symbiosis with the beer's overall goodness, making it drinkable in sensible quantities. Now that I've had this, I'll certainly find the time to have another as soon as the mood strikes me. (1,491 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Purchased in a 750ml cork and caged bottle, this brew was served in a flute. Amble bright white foam crowned a bright golden beer. It's aroma hinted of fruits and yeast. The flavors offered more complex spicy and fruit flavors balancing sweet caramel malts. This beer was neither heavy, nor thin but had definite presence in the mouth. It was a delightful companion to a meal of cheese-bread and soup. (401 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

The first pour is a clear, glowing deep golden amber. The second pour turns cloudy and darker. The head is massive and stiff. It fades slowly and leaves a thick sheet on the sides of the glass. Beautiful beer. Orange and cloves on the aroma. Very bright and happy. The taste is also very bright and spicy. Fruity esters meld nicely with the orange flavor and a nice straw and caramel malt. A slight bitterness lingers in the finish. Excellent. (443 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Sampled this with some great soft cheeses. Pours a clear, pale golden color with a frothy, energetic head. The aroma is more floraly hoppy than I expected….layered flowery smells, spiciness, and citrus-like hop aromas…with a background of alcohol. First taste is sweet…moderately malty and yeasty. Subtly spicy. The beer is highly carbonated, which gives it a crisp carbon-dioxide bite. It’s refreshing, clean, and finishes pleasantly bitter. I could see this beer going well with most foods.
Inexpensive and impressive, Ommegang is becoming a favorite of mine. (566 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10%

I was surprised by the clarity of this bottle conditioned ale. (taking a sip) I was a little nervous about trying this because I am not a fan of the Ommegang. But I was pleasantly surprised by this. (sipping) A beautiful amber with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was a wonderful thick frothy white. The nose was a little harsh but that is do to the Belgian yeast. I am a hop lover. (sip and gulp) But the taste cuts through the nose and washes everything down with a clean and crisp mouth. (489 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not to be the spoiler of fun, I'm just not a fan of this particular beer. The first time I had it, I liked it, but I have had many since then and haven't liked it much at all.
It pours into the glass a hazy orangish yellow with a huge head. I tried to control it, but it was like racing a car on ice with a blown tire, I couldn't win. But it does give the drinker a decent chance to smell of what he/she is drinking. The smell was hoppy, but it has a great deal of sweetness to it. The taste is bready to say the least. It's not much different than bitting into a slice of wonder bread. There are some hoppy qualities to it. A bitterness and also a sweetness.
Normally these are qualities that I like in a beer, but it doesn't sork for me in the Hennepin. (757 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.9%

Amazingly simply amazing. Sipping this beer I cannot describe the plothora of flavors present in it, but I'm not at that point, so I'll start with the appearence, which is mighty fine. Pours kind of a ruddy golden, head is like heavy cream, god it's beautiful. Left a huge covering, if not thick lacing.

It smells fairly standard, reminding me of a wheat beer and duvel. IMO the weakest point of the beer.

The flavor, god the flavor. smooth, complex and rich. Spicyness from the alchohol, wheat flavors, mild banana, sugars. God, I list all those and I can't even approach what I taste there. Amazing, simply amazing. In the back of it all, just a touch of bitter from the hops that calls out the contrasts and makes all the amazing maltiness of the beer just stand out even more.

even more than the flavor though, this beer rolls around the mouth, in perfect coordination with the carbonation and the full mouthfeel. It's almost like what champaigne would taste like if it had a roundness to match the carbonation.

As you can probably tell by now, i've had a bit of this stuff. Why? it's damn drinkable. Amazing, amazing brew, no if ands or buts.

Char (1,169 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow, This brew could not be guessed it comes from Copperstown, N.Y. It pours a nice hazy gold with a higher carbonated (some fizz) head. The head is white that settles to a thin,close bubbled film that dose lace though it fades also. The aroma is lemon citrus. As with the taste the citrus comes through in a lemon pepper on wheat. Also a honey sweet spice lingers a dry mouthfeel. Alcohol at 7.5% hits home strong while allowing this brew to be very drinkable. (461 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Beautiful yellow coloring with a nice, lasting white head. Active carbonation lends an ongoing bubble-show in the glass. Sweet floral aroma complements nicely the rich mouthfeel and taste that starts sweet and ends dry. To tell the truth, it reminds me of champagne, particularly in how the effervescence feels on the palate (not just because of the corked bottle ;-). Overall, a very enjoyable experience. (406 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a very hazy yellow with a hint of orange. Smells very citrusy/hoppy and scared me originally when I sniffed it. Had all the makings of a pale ale nightmare. How happily wrong I was. Has a very active bubbly white head that just looks great receding down the tulip glass. Damn good looking beer.

The taste is interesting. Syrupy sweet with a hint of malt and a lot of lemon/grass/pepper up front. Quite a good sized body for a mild beer. Finishes sweet as it began with some nice carbonation tingling on the tounge. Another gem from Ommegang. (550 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

12 oz bottle, silver-rimmed chalice glass.

I first thought I wouldn't like this beer. The first impression is the bitterness, and it reminded me just a tad of ESB's that I don't have a particular fondness for. I kept drinking however, and mmm....

This beer is yummy. It pours with a golden color, with very little head and leaves only a bit of lacing. The aroma is reminiscent of honey, citrus, and that smell I refer to as "earthy" (kind of like smelling tree roots). The taste is nice, though a bit "wheaty" for me. I can definitely taste the wheat character in the beer. One of the only detractions is a hint of the alcohol comes through, (at 7.5 percent), so it detracts some from the flavor. I know I'll be enjoying more of this in the future. (754 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Orange-gold that sparkles when I hold it to the light, very clear for bottle conditioned. Two finger head with loudly crackling bubbles. Ends up as a bubbly laces.
Apricot, banana, honey and yeasty aroma.
Malty, peppery and spicy taste, it seems more alcoholic than it really is. Curaco orange or maybe sour tangerine. Citrus hops - lemon.
Crisp with a medium feel, a pleasure to drink. (389 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang