Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,084 | Hads: 5,588
1.49/5  rDev -64.4%

I almost wonder if I had an infected bottle because this is one of the worst beers I've ever encountered. It is worth mentioning that saisons are hands down one of my favorite styles. It was poured out of a 12 oz bottle purchased from a roughly 55 degree cellar room at a local wine store. No dates on bottle. It was poured into a SA perfect pint. [don't judge me!]

A- Not impeccable. Odd for the style but not out of the question. After all saisons are neat because of the variety. Dark and quite clear for the style. Almost a burnt orange kind of color.

S- Malt overpowered most everything else. After tasting I found the smell to be unworthy of analysis. Vanilla and earth were most prevalent next to the malt.

T- Tastes like chewing a dry pack of Brett. B. and a handful of Maris Otter. With no water. In the desert. Again malt is overpowering, and the end leaves one with a sticky flavor somewhere between dirt and the smell of a dairy farm. Esters are very detectable but abrasive and unpleasant. In all fairness, despite the flaws it is somewhat balanced. I found it to be strangely acidic. There did not appear to be any residual sugars. I love funky beers but good god damn... This must have been a bad batch. Bad beers shouldn't make it to the shelf.

M- Thick and velvety for a beer of it's color/gravity/strength but mixing with the taste it just feels gross. It is sticky and slick, lingering on the back of the tongue for some time. (1,451 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -51.2%

served on-tap at Mellow Mushroom - Tuscaloosa, AL - into a pint glass

Pours a straw yellow color that is fairly indicative of the style. 1.5 fingers of dense, white head stuck around for most of the drinking session. Lacing was adequate. Problem is that most examples of the Saison style (and I've had a lot of them) look pretty awesome. So, when rating to style, this impressive looking beer is actually pretty average amongst its peers.

Not a lot going on in the nose. It doesn't smell like an elite Saison. It doesn't even smell like a good Saison. It is all banana and spice and airy biscuit malt. Lots of banana, actually. No funk or phenol or sourness or hoppiness to speak of. If this were given to me in a blind tasting then I would emphatically call "bullshit" on its aroma.

I would call "bullshit" on its taste, too. This does not taste like a good Saison beer. It is dominated by banana esters. There is some minute funk flavor and a bit of generic malt flavor to inform the banana but that's it. This beer is pretty accessible for what it is. It just isn't a good example of the Saison style.

Solid mouthfeel on the beer, though. It strikes a good balance between the prickly carbonation and having a body size conducive to carrying the flavors that it wants to present. Drinkability suffers from 1.) not being a good example of the style, and 2.) having a large (for the style) ABV%.

Saison is my favorite style of beer. I am very passionate about it. So take this review with a grain of salt; I am a Saison nerd. I haven't tasted Hennepin for a few years until tonight, yet it is just as poor as I remember it being. I can't understand how people think this is a good Saison. if you like this beer then I implore you to check out better examples of the style. (1,778 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -50.7%

Poured into an Ommegang tear drop, the beer appears a murky peach color with a massive snow white soapy head. Minimal spotty lacing is apparent. Looks like a typical saison to me.

Smell is heavy on the banana. A little funk and sweet malt round out an under-performing drink.

Taste follows the aroma. Funky banana with a touch of black pepper. Again I'm a little bored.

Mouthfeel is sticky and gummy. I prefer my saisons to be a bit more refreshing.

Not my favorite saison...by far. I think this might be an issue of personal taste. I won't be searching this one out again. (581 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -50.5%

Welll it appears I get to be " THAT GUY " ONCE AGAIN!.

A - Pours a murky golden with a large three and a half finger white head. Left decen lacing.

S - Banana clove and spices. That's about it.

T - A bit of banana and pepper, followed by a massive urine aftertaste. YUCK!.

M - Light bodied with light bubbly carbonation.

O - Overall, It looked promising, but since it's a part of the Duvel family I am not surprised that it is highly overrated. Tastes like urine. Plain and simple. (486 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

Big bottle (22oz?) with champagne cork. Pours beautiful dark yellow with big frothy white head. Tons of complex aroma that sends your nose working overtime to figure out what exactly you are getting into here.

Pretty sweet, too sweet for me, but ton of other spicy, fruity, floral stuff going on for balance also. Bottle doesn't mention anything about spices, but hard to imagine all of these flavors being created by just the yeast.

Flavors changed as it warmed. It took me a while to drink it, was definitely better warmer. Overall way too sweet to me. I'm new to the style, but drinkability was tough cuz of the overly sweet finish. I' going to try some more saisons, but not this one again. (696 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -42.1%

hmm... This beer is hard to review. This doesn't have much of the characteristics that I've come to expect in a saision. I've tasted this beer three times and am ready to review it now.

Pours a golden color with a big head.

Aroma mostly reminded me of a pilsner or perhaps a weak pale ale. Not enough esters, funk or spice to do the style justice.

Taste is clean and refreshing and has some estery fruits but for the most part was just a decent beer that was a bit boring.

Quenches the thirst but nothing worth seeking out.

/ I love ommegang 3p and abbey ale. This offering is just weak in comparison. (609 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not to be the spoiler of fun, I'm just not a fan of this particular beer. The first time I had it, I liked it, but I have had many since then and haven't liked it much at all.
It pours into the glass a hazy orangish yellow with a huge head. I tried to control it, but it was like racing a car on ice with a blown tire, I couldn't win. But it does give the drinker a decent chance to smell of what he/she is drinking. The smell was hoppy, but it has a great deal of sweetness to it. The taste is bready to say the least. It's not much different than bitting into a slice of wonder bread. There are some hoppy qualities to it. A bitterness and also a sweetness.
Normally these are qualities that I like in a beer, but it doesn't sork for me in the Hennepin. (757 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -37.8%

Okay. This is not so much a review as it is a warning. First I have to say that I'm a big fan of Omm brews. And all the reviews of Hennepin are pretty accurate concerning appearance, smelll, etc. But one reviewer said "The beer finishes with sweet notes and yeast". I'd say it finishes with a bitter over hopped taste that lingers until you brush your teeth. Now you serious beer guys aren't going to like this, but in the spirit of keeping the gravity, I cut this ale with Keystone Ice rather than flush it. I'll stick with the Ommegang Abbey Ale. Like I said earlier, I can't disagree with the myriad of excellent reviews of this offering from Ommegang, if this style suits your taste. But if, like me, you were introduced to Ommegang through their Abbey Ale or Wheat...Whit...Weiss, whatever you choose to call it, the Hennepin is a different beast. (852 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a yellow, but thick cloudy, body with a thicky and cloudy offwhite lacy head. Smells of malt and not much else. I only knew there were bananas in there because of other reviews, otherwise I would have never picked it up.

Truly tastes like nothing great, just a nice malty beer, but nothing impressive, and something I would never spend 2.75$ for a 12oz bottle on again. This is a beer that is truly underwhelming.

The mouthfeel & drinkability for a 7.7% ABV were the only upsides to this beer. The fact that only a few will get you feeling really good and that it goes down nice with a quick bite make it only slightly worthwhile...

For a brewer who puts out Abbey Ale & Three philosophers, this was extremely disappointing. (779 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -36.8%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew. (298 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

I am drinking a sample from a corked and caged 750 bottle at cellar temp in a snifter.
The beer pours very lite yellow like champagne. A fluffy and frothy bleached white head foams up 3 cm easily. tons of rising streams of bubbles in the glass.
Aroma is mild but I get some green apple and pears, a bit of biscuity yeast and some funky musty basement scent.
FIrst sip reveals average body and intense prickly carbonation. Carbonation definitely overwhelms the flavor on the first sip.
Flavor is light and fruity with some apples and pears just like the nose. A bit of genearl tart fruitiness too. I also get some candy sugar that I find a bit too sweet and slightly unappealing. The flavor of the beer reminds me of champagne just like the appearance did. The beer finishes with some dryness, again champagneesque. OVerall the beer is okay, but if I wanted to drink champagne I would buy a bottle. Probably wont try this one again. (936 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance: Nice Golden Color with a head that starts at about half the glass and slowly gets smaller during the pouring process
Smell: It had the smell of a typical hops beer, and was really nothing special.
Taste: All though it was better than i expected given the smell, I was far from impressed by the taste of it. I felt that it was a stronger version of a cheap main stream beer.
Mouthfeel: It wasn't anything special from the other beers that I have had. Pretty typical
Drinkability: It is easy enough to drink that I will be able to continue drinking what I have of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.
Given the high reviews that I have seen of this beer I was expecting it to be much more flavorful than it ended up being. Although it is a nice beer, it was a bit of a let down when it came to flavor. (827 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -35.6%

This was my first Saison/Farmhouse. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Ft. Worth.
I'm guessing that the whole horse blanket Brett taste isn't for me. I just found it to be a taste and smell that I'm not fond of. The beer looked fine with a nice head and nice lacing, and I'm sure that the fine craftspeople at Ommegang made this beer just how they wanted to, but unfortunately its not for me. Not gonna have another. (422 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -35.2%

Heard so much about this beer and having been a BA for nearly four years, I cannot believe I am only now trying it for the first time.
The 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass a cloudy yellow orange colour with a snow white head probably three inches thick. Looks nice. Smell was good, but rather off for the style, I thought. Smell was more akin to a tripel than a farmhouse saison. The damp, musty, basement smell present in nearly every saison I have ever had is totally abscent in this one. Taste, too was far from a saison, IMO. Also, likely the worst thing about this is the detectable level of alcohol. To me, a farmhouse saison should be smooth and easy drinking, smell like a mouldy, damp basement, and have a rather pronounced tartness. This is bereft of any of the afore mentioned traits, and again, if I were just given this to drink, not knowing what it was, I'd probably enjoy it and exlaim, "I've had better tripels, but this one's not bad.." I don't know guys, for all the hype surrounding this one, I must admit, I'm quite dis-pleased with it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. (1,090 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

corked and caged 750ml that my roommate got for Xmas and was not keen on trying. Thanks, Matt! You da man!

A- Carefully poured, as this has settled for about 10 months in the fridge. A huge fluffy head that fizzes down, beer is pale pale yellow.

S- Fruity, bready, nice floral notes (lilac).

T- Same as the nose, but with a lot of medicinal notes too. The inside of a pill bottle. Not my favorite. Cloves creep in and cloud out the floral/perfumey sweetness that I like.

M- Body is a bit thin, the finish is pretty clean, nix the medicinal notes and let's talk.

D- Moderate- Easy enough to drink but just not in my wheelhouse. A good beer but not for me. So it goes. (674 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33%

Aromas are a bunch of upfront floral and spicy notes with pungent citrus. Dry pilsner bready biscuity malts are also detectable. Belgiany yeast is fairly apparent as well.

The taste is fairly aggressive for a saison (or at least what I prefer in my saisons). All kinds of things happening here. Alcohol isn't midden all that well and the esters aren't in balance with the hops, really sharp finish as well; really not a fan. Thick, yet extremely bubbly mouthfeel; carbonation is apparent for sure.

This is a real aggressive saison. I can tell it's extremely well-made, as Ommegang doesn't mess around when it comes to making good Belgian beer. I was a little put off by the rather strong alcoholic character, but perhaps that's how it should be. I admire the complexity and adventurous quality. (797 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33%

This beer is full of funk and bubble gum, yeasty, doughy, a little too sour for a saison. definately farmy! but it may be better with food not an easy brew to drink alone unless you want half 3 philosophers and half duvel in the same glass :( sorry hut dissapointed. Tastes better with Food (290 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. Smells kind of like a hefeweisen to me. I think I smell lemon, but I can’t tell whether this is just because so many beers get served with a lemon slice in the US. Nose is a little richer second time around, a little earthier and more cloves.

Taste is a little flatter than I expected. Not that bright, falls more on the bitter side. Carbonation is out-of-control. Makes it hard to swirl around and get the full experience! One of the flavors in the aftertaste reminds me of a flat domestic lager. Little bit of tang on the tongue after a swallow. Tastes like it is high alcohol, and it turns out to be significantly high!

Overall: B-, not a big fan (669 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured a hazy yellow body with some carbonation present in the body. Has a white head that disipates quickly to form a film across the surface. The beer's aroma consists of Hops, some spices and yeast. The taste follows the aroma fairly well. However, the hops are more apparent in the taste. The beer has a froathy body that leads to a lingering residual sweetness that I don't like about American breweries takes on Belgian Beers. Slight Alcohol present in the warmth.

Can't say I was overly impressed with this beer. I wouldn't get it again. (548 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -28.9%

A fairly cloudy, pale blonde pour. Very nice frothy while head with very good head retention, through the whole beer. Noticeable yeast remnants and carbonation.

Not very much working on the nose, a little plum, light malt

Not a ton going on as far as flavor profile notes as well. Light caramel, plum, light malt. Almost a nutty-pumpkin bread like aftertaste

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Good carbonation smooth most of the way with a little bitterness at the end.

Overall I'm a little confused with this beer. It takes like a blonde bock to me. Flavor notes along with the smell are pretty flat. It's not bad and is a decent spring type beer. But I'm just so confused with what it's trying to achieve cuz it's just so simple. It kind of tastes like it's a homebrewers first attempt at the style. (800 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Too clear for the style. I need some floaties! Lacing is great with a nice thin head.

S: I don't know what to say here... smells a bit like Miller Lite. Maybe a little bit of fruit on the finish.

T: Some fruit, lots of light malt, not a ton going on though. Dry finish is quite nice.

M: They got this right. It feels light, the perfect amount of carbonation, just very pleasant.

O: Pretty good. I've been drinking a lot of Saison/farmhouse ales and this is the worst I've tried so far. I love the style, though. (518 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured on tap, this beer was pale with very white creamy head with lacing that lasted through the entire glass. Very sweet smell with champagne-like odors. Taste was watery and sweet with white grape tastes and an odd perfume taste at the finish. Mouthfeel was light and dry and little aftertaste. I will say that it is very well balanced with the higher ABV. Drinkability was ok for a hot day beer, but not at the top of my list. (430 characters)

Was pumped to give this one a go, I generally like Ommegang. Poured nice, tons of bubbles, tall head. Caught me off guard, required a more delicate pour than even most other belgians to moderate head size. Nice hazy gold/yellow color in the glass, appealing looking. Smelled like the real deal, very authentick belgian.

It was only once the beer left the glass and found its way onto my tongue that disappointment set in. Admittedly, for my first sip the beer was way too cold, so i let it sit for some time. Unfortunately i don't like how it opened up. Tart, bubbly, mildly sweet, citrusy, and earthy. It all sounds nice, except the tartness was too strong. Resulted in an extremely unbalanced flavor. Not to say the beer was terrible, it wasn't, however it could use significantly more strength from the earthy/malty notes. Tartness and acidity need to be toned down a bit. Noting the beer's high rating, it looks like i'm in the minority here, but so it goes. I'll stick with the 3 Philosophers next time I hit up Ommegang (1,028 characters)

Bottled . Not a huge fan of this brewer so far. Yeasty choc/caramel, pretty sweet and a little bit syruppy to be honest, a very flat mouthfeel, with not much interesting happening, definitely on the sweeter side of the scale, i've yet to be won over by this brewer, but this isn't a bad beer though. (299 characters)

This was once one of my favorites, for a number of years. Now it is made in Belgium (as of June 2012) and it is a significantly different beer, not the same at all. I taste the following: hoppier and less sweet (the subtle sweetness of this beer was one of my pleasures), far less yeast taste (again, I loved this) and more filtered for sure, and less malt taste. It's as if the brewers said "let's make Hennepin taste more like Heineken". Very disappointing. I will not be buying this again (until they make it in NY).

If you doubt me please check this out yourself, the new label says "Product of Belgium" right on the front. (628 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang