Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,506 | Reviews: 2,109
3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

750mL bottle served in a tulip

A: Somewhat foggy yellow-orange with a firm finger of white, rocky head. Decent head retention and lacing.
S: Citrus, hops and some sweet malts; undeniable spice on the nose.
T: I'll break this part into two. The first half: Sweet start and a bitter finish. Wheaty and spicy, rounding out with yeasty, hoppy and eventually a baked/biscuity flavor as it warms slightly. Only a few minutes after that, earthy flavors pull through majorly. Eventually my palate was overrun with grass, metal and blood. Or so it tasted. I loved the first half of this beer, but I was not a fan of it as it had a chance to warm a bit.
M: Love the carbonation and spice combo. Lighter, refreshing body and just a touch or slightly bitter residue left on the palate.
D: This beer is as refreshing as any wheat...in the beginning anyways. I thought there was a serious breakdown of flavors near the end, so much so that I thought someone threw a farm into a blender and served it to me. I look forward to trying other Ommegang brews, because this one was a minor letdown.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%

750ml corked & caged bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Purs a cloudy light golden color with a huge white head that slowly fades down to a one finger sticky head with some thick lacing and big bubbles. Nose is dry and yeasty, it's got a bit of breadiness and tartness.

Wow, taste is bursting with citrus and fresh bitterness, lemons and lime are here. There's a good bite of spiciness from the yeast thats nice as well as some cloves and ginger and even a bit of pepper. Mouthfeel is really huge from the carbonation, maks it seem like a Belgian tripel. Overall really solid saison.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%

A bar pour yields no head in the straight edge pint glass. The beer is only slightly hazy. It's mostly a clear light gold. The nose is much lighter than the bottle, with just hints of the grassy funk I expect. The taste follows suit, being more mellow, less grassy and bitter than the bottle. Suffers a bit due to the loss of complexity. The mouthfeel tells you that this is a lively beer, with huge carbonation pushing through the medium body. A good beer on tap, but much better bottle-conditioned.

A note: the brewer at the State College BrewExpo said they recently stopped keg conditioning, so perhaps this could explain a bit...?

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%

Ommegang Hennepin pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I'm not getting a lot from the aroma, its fairly mild. Taste is heavy on the horse blanket aspect of Belgian beer. Some hops are noticeable as well. Heavily carbonated, like seltzer, which seems to be appropriate for the style. Interesting. Worth a try, not my favorite style, but probably a pretty decent example of it.

12oz bottle into a tulip, aged for over a year

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with almost three fingers of active head.

S: Nutmeg, clove, and banana upfront, this beer is quite spicy. I get a bit of prunes as well, if I closed my eyes I might think this is a quad.

T: Similar to aroma, I get spices and dark fruits. Certainly on the sweet side for a Saison, but this beer stays balanced. I also get some lemon. This is different than any Saison I've had. Decent, but odd for the style.

M: Thick for the style with high carbonation.

O: This beer is fairly tasty but really odd for the style. It's also been aged for over a year, so the yeast has really taken over the beer. Decent.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

This Saison brewed in Cooperstown, NY is 7.7% ABV.

Pours a bright yellow, crystal clear, with 3 fingers of fluffy white head that recedes after a minute.

Aroma is pilsner malts, fruit, yeast and mild spice. Overall a fairly simple/straight-forward nose for a saison.

Taste is very dry, beginning with light, bread malt and light fruit flavors. Yeast, soapiness and a sharp bitterness follow, with the finish leaving an acidic bitterness, vegetal character and some yeast character behind.

Medium/light mouthfeel and high carbonation.

Overall I really do not care for this beer, it is too sharp and lacks all the depth of flavor and character that I love in saisons. This is the fourth time I have tried this beer an I have never enjoyed it, I think I'm done giving it chances.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle from 2011 into a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very pale, hazy yellow. There's a very persistent, two- finger, pure white head. The retention is fantastic, and the head itself looks like whipped meringue. Lacing clings to the glass. Ommegang really makes some pretty beers, and this is no exception.

The aroma is quite sweet. There's a very strong honey note in the mix. Some citrus twang, mostly lemon rind, but the whole package ultimately ends up smelling like something approximating Lemon Drops due to the sweetness. It's not necessarily bad, just one-dimensional. A hint of bready malt rounds things out.

The taste is very sweet, bordering on cloying. There's a flavor akin to confectioner's sugar at work here. Some bready, biscuit malt in the mix, and a touch of lingering bitterness. No real funk to speak of.

Ommegang nailed the mouthfeel. This is an incredibly full, rich saison, but the carbonation is on the medium side. The end result is that this is a very easy beer to drink, and flavors really come alive.

I've enjoyed many bottles of Hennepin in the past, but this is the first time that I've detected overwhelming sweetness in this beer. Pleasant enough, but far from the best the style has to offer.

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle conditioned saison from New York. Hmm... let's give it a go. It pours a pale clear yellow (almost looks like a pale ale/Macro Lager). Not much head on this. Moderate lacing. Smells slightly funky, like outdoors in the spring. Taste is slightly metallic, and slightly sour at the same time. A hint of grassy hops in there as well. Overcarbonated in my book. Not a hit. Not something I'd look for again.

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%

750 ml. Poured with a nice head, but not too big, as many Saisons are. Fell kind of quickly as well. Golden color with poor clarity and lots of suspended yeast. Not very floculent. Light aroma with hints of lemon and cherry with a persimmon note. Palate was uncomplicated with a light but distinct sour ale taste and quick finish. Plenty of carbonation left on palate for an active mouthfeel. I didn’t get the alcohol notes until about 1/2 way through the glass, then my palate opened to it and I could taste it then. My favorite Ommegang product so far.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

The pour is an off orangish yellow color with a cloudy appearance. The head did not pour out too fluffy but did last a good amount of time. The lacing also was good.

The smell is no doubt a Belgium. A sweet malt and sugary aroma. Hints of lighter spice and it reminded me of a Belgian wit more then a saison. Some fruity notes remind me of oranges and lighter citrus notes.

The taste is a light for a saison. There is some lighter tart, almost apple flavor and citrus zest, but not really noticeable for what I would consider for a saison. A good sweet aroma and a Belgian yeast taste are most noticeable. At the back end there is a light candy taste. The tart flavor lasts a while for the aftertaste but is limited. There is some spice flavor, cloves and white pepper. Reminds me of a Belgium wit.

There is a higher then normal carbonation and the body is light. The higher carbonation does bring out more zest in the back end though. One thing to note is there is no hint of the higher alcohol. Sneaky.

Overall I would have liked more of a tart flavor but that taste is good and a very enjoyable beer.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours cloudy, pale yellow with a big fluffy, sticky white head.

Malty, spicy smell. Grassy and citrussy. Altogether inviting.

Eh. Flavorful in a sense. Just-ripe citrus, a dash of cough syrup, clean pale male. That medicinal quality I find in every Ommegang I've tasted is really a turn-off. I must be hypersensitive to it.

Soft on the palate. Cool and clean.

Not my cup of beer. The medicinal taste is just a bit too much. Maybe I need to grow in that direction. You should try it for yourself.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

slightly hazy golden honey peach with white head that holds well and leaves nice lace. smells of yeasty spice (clove, pepper, etc.), - like a saison should, but not quite as strong or authentic as i am used to in my favorite saisons - lemon, pils malt, a little barnyard, and mildly sweet bread. taste is the same. the pepper/clove thing really hits the roof of my mouth and top/back of my throat, creating a dry/bitter (but only mildly so) finish. medium full body with a good carb level. okay beer. good saison representation for an american made brew. what amazes me is that saison dupont and it's sister beer foret don't rank anywhere close to this one, and they seem more true to the style for me. i guess that part of that has to do with the fact that a lot of these reviews are by people whom for which this is their first saison. when i think saison, i think super earthy, even horsey - like i'm smelling the beauty of a horse barn on a farm way out in the mountains somewhere. hennepin comes close, but doesn't do it for me. i rated it extra high because it is an american take on a classic belgian style, and they actually do a great job, but i'll take a dupont or de glazen toren, or fantome or southhampton for a few more duckets any day of the week.

edit: okay... i get it. this is a grisette, not a saison. i have tried many many times, but i just can't take this beer. i avoid this beer like the plague. it is the sam adams of belgian-style beer. toned down and dummied up to suit unschooled palates. sorry ommegang, i appreciate what you do for us, i just don't like this one.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

A - Pours a pale straw/amber color with a big frothy white head that takes its time dissappearing and leaves uneven lacing behind.

S - Predominantly wheat, a slight citrus hops and gumball odor underneath.

T - Alcohol is evident. A citrusy pineapple wheat and slight gumball flavor. The flavor is good, but I am dissapointed that the abv shows through so clearly.

M - Very thin and a little foamy, refreshing though.

D - Goes down extrodinarily easy. Soothing and very drinkable.

3.49/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really like Ommegang's packaging and labelling, which is attractive and announces a quality product. And I enjoyed my sampling of their Three Philosophers at the Green River Brewfest in June. So ready to give more of their line a try.

Poured into a tulip glass from the 12 oz. bottle. Bottling date smeared but looks like it might be 2/25/12. So not so fresh, although it has a "Best by" of something something 2014.

Translucent amber topped by a finger thick white head which receded to an even white surface foam film and thick even lacing. I had poured directly down into the glass as usual, instead of slowly as the label instructed. Oops. So I got the yeast sediments, which no doubt affected the taste.

s: Ripe fruit

t: Soap and mild ripe fruit.

m: Smoothly light to moderate, leaning to moderate.

o: The label says it should be hoppy but it's not so much. Does not taste as fruity as drinking proceeds. Nearing the finish line, smoothness stands out and it's quite decent.

This experience has not daunted me to try the many other Ommegang offerings, or even a fresher example of Hennepin.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Almost opaque, golden/yellow, very typical of most Saisons I've had before. Head is light ang somewhat clingy, could use a bit more umph.

Smell: Like moist bread, with a bit of apricot jam sweetness.

Taste: Yeasty with an interesting alcohol finish which gives it sort of a lactic and creamy feel with just a bit of funk, which reminds me of a Camenbert cheeze. Nice!

First had: on tap at Johnny Brenda's, Philly, PA

I first had this on tap, not knowing it was an Ommegang brew until I looked it up later. It's a tasty saison. Pretty smooth and flavorful but nothing to get overwhelmed about.

Pours a hazy golden color with a nice white head that retains and laces well. Yeasty aroma, with hints of citrus, grass, and light spice. Biscuity taste, with flavors of orange zest, apple, banana; grassy with notes of spice. Light-medium mouthfeel, and easily drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: beautiful and beguiling--more foam than the glass could contain when poured casually. Laces well and steady stream of microbubbles supports a thin layer across the beer for the duration.

S: Lemons and a lazy day.

T: Wow--Haven't sampled many saisons but this is way more sour than expected. Initially overwhelming; as the buds acclimated, started to embrace it and could see how this might become the quintessential thirst quencher--lemonade for grownups and enough reward to make one want to pick crops or at least mow the lawn.

M: Really for as lemony/citrus/sour; this lands very softly on the tongue and is swallowed with a smile. Very cool craftsmanship at work here.

O: For nine bucks a bottle, I need more, much more complexity and interest. Several Belgian Saisons at the same cost, and IMHO that also offer a much more beguiling entreaty to be consumed than this one trick tart. (example: St. Feullien--a rhapsody of flavor and aroma by comparison.

Still on a hot day and your dollar, I'd have another in a heartbeat. Let it also be known that I have immense respect for the "gang" and love many of their beers. Saison is the wild card of styles and one mans thirst slaker might be anothers ambrosia as there seems to be no clear consensus on what this style really is.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

This is the third installment of the Ommegang tasting that I am offering to Beer Advocate. I have had this beer several times before and now have decided to review it. The beer poured into my 211/8th fl. Oz. snifter with an enormous head. It shortly subsided with massive lacing on the inside of the glass. The nose was heavy with hints of yeast and sweet grass. The taste is light and sweet with apples. Ommegang has hit another homerun with Hennepin...kudos Brewery Ommegang!

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%

Some years back, my extremely good friend, Jake, gifted me with a three-bottle set from Brewery Ommegang. Ommegang is a Belgian brewery in Cooperstown, NY. I'm just going to let that settle in for a moment. You may associate Cooperstown with Baseball. But beer people associate it with Brussels. The three beers included in this set were the Hennepin Farmhouse Saison, Chocolate Indulgence, and Three Philosophers Triple. This review will be of the 2008 Hennepin Saison.

I'd been holding onto this beer since Christmas of 2008. I've not really aged beer before, but felt these would be good candidates. Keep the age in mind through this review.

Eyes: The Hennepin Saison pours from a 750ml corked and caged Belgian bottle as a bright amber. I stored this sideways and don't think all of the yeast settled back to the bottom from when I put it in the fridge to chill. The first pour was crystal clear but clouded up somewhat as the yeast snuck into the pour. Still, the golden amber was very inviting and "rustic". Head was creamy white and thick, but not fluffy. It clings to the sides rather well, but does not "lace" much. Eventually dissipating to a thin foam.

Nose: Nose is very thin. This could either be from the long aging or the fact that I have a late-summer cold. The aroma seems to be lightly plastic, but not in a repelling way. There's a little spice and maybe some fruit, but it's not the prominent component.

Tongue: At first, this beer comes across as rather bitter; not from hops. Rather, it seems to be an alcoholic bitterness. There is a good base of citrus and maybe ... I don't know; figs maybe? Hennepin came across as a little one dimensional until I was about half-way through the first pint. Spice began to present itself. Maybe a little pepper. There was some late-presenting malt. Definitely grainy, but not sweet. Perhaps this was through the temperature of the beer warming up over time. Still, I would have liked a little more fruit in a saison.

Mouth: There is a little bit of solvent to the mouthfeel. It lends to the spiciness of the beer. The higher alcohol level of this beer definitely provides a good burn and astringency, but not in a bad way. This isn't a liquor burn; more of a comforting warmth.

Overall: Despite the solvency and slight metallic taste, this beer is very drinkable. Most of the flavor comes through AFTER drinking and in the after taste. This would be a great beer for an October evening at a bonfire or barn party. This bottle could have been aged a little long. It was still a great beer!

3.52/5  rDev -15.2%

A-pale straw cloudy yellow with a lot of frothy white head

S-fresh and spicy belgian that reminds me of wheat. very good, strong scent with some funkiness. almost ideal for a saison

T-a very short experience. comes in with the Belgian spices and some banana. there's a slight breadiness taste with some bitterness for the after-taste. the bitterness is odd and not completely likeable. its an okay taste, but definitely nothing special.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a dry finish

O-i found that the belgian spiciness makes this not very drinkable. I like it in other belgians, but in this the taste gets tiring. this is pretty much an average saison that i don't feel is great for the style. i wouldn't recommend this to people more accustomed to the style, but that's just me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

rich malty nose,with a slight belgian nose,slightly phenolic. deep reddish brown,nice lace, thick head. Slightly metallic, but rich malt with a nice lingering finish that drys out nicely, well balanced, hops are well underlining, and blends nicely with the malts.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%

A - pours a nice pale golden color with a little haze and a huge rocky head.

S - spicy phenolic cloves, a little metallic, slightly musty, but not a big horse blanket presence I expected.

T - well, doesn't really taste like a saison. How is this ranked higher than dupont? Don't get me wrong, it tastes good - a lot of clove, a nice portion of malt. Tastes extremely similar to Duvel. Where is the funkiness thought? If this was classified as a SBGA then I probably would have given it a 4.5 for taste, but I don't think this is very true to style.

M - really nice carbonation with a little syrupy character to it.

O - I am pretty disappointed by this one. It just played it too safe with the funk. Maybe the bottle was a bit older, and the flavors settled a little?

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours out as a nice looking hazy golden yellow. The head billows and needs to be given a moment to settle. The smell of the beer has a decent amount of funk to it but it's not as much as some of the authentic farmhouse ales out there. The taste has a pretty good amount of malts and yeast with some spices in there too. The mouthfeel is drinkable and has plenty of carbonation to keep it alive on the tongue. Overall this beer is pretty good but not my cup of tea really.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a cloudy light yellow in color, 2 fingers of detergent like head, lots of visible carbonation. smells of yeast, lemongrass, very bready. the taste is pretty funky.. farmhouse yeast, has a slight skunkyness to it, which is a common thing in this beer (had it plenty of times before on tap and bottle, first time sitting down to review it). lemongrass and yeast are the main hints in both nose and mouth. medium body, high carbonation and creamy feel.

a nice saison, but a little too much like a witbier for my liking. could use more hops to balance out the overwhelming yeast flavor.

3.54/5  rDev -14.7%

Excellent brew, just not to my tastes.

A - Marvelous, undeniable foamy white head. Gotta be careful when pouring this one out!
S - Not much scent to this one. A little disappointing. I caught a slight citrus not, but not much.
T - Citrus and hops, both on the mild side. I also get this chalky/earthy flavor I can't place. Maybe it's just me. Regardless it's not a good flavor in my book. Luckily it's not overwhelming.
M - Nice fuzzy bubbles, though smooth and light.
D - Quite easy to down. Even more so for others I'd imagine.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang