Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,512 | Reviews: 2,110
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

pours yellow cloudy with a thick fluffy white head. very pleasing and really quite tempting on a warm day.

smell is grassy funk, with a malt backbone and a slight hop nose.

taste is quite pleasant and spicy, a small malt supports a nice hop bitterness and a grassy and slightly citrusy (pineapple) hop. really quite magnificent.

mouth is crisp with a slight bite in the body and a clean finish, This beer drinks way too easy for the ABV. Definitely buying this one again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a HUGE foamy head.

S- Sweet, honey, fruity esters. Bready sweet with a faint alcohol note. Excellent!

T- Dry and slightly tart. A subtle sweet fruitiness with a hint of honey. A little yeasty and peppery in the aftertaste.

M- Smooth and full bodied. Carbonation tingles the tongue.

D- Excellent! This is good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Pours a hazy pale straw. Huge 2 finger frothy bone white head.

S - Peppery fruit - bitter oranges, lemons, bananas, tart Belgain yeast, grassy hay, wet barnyard dust.

T - Spicy funky yeast, musty nuttiness, sour tart fruit-apples, pears, soured grain bread, green earthy bitterness.

M - Creamy and full bodied. One of my favorite aspects of this beer.

This is the beer that made me fall in love with this style. While I respect the the Saisons from Belgian, this is one of my favorites. It envelopes every aroma, flavor, and feel of what my dream Saison is suppose to taste like.
My first sip of this glorious beer was on-tap and it was slightly better IMO.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a light golden-colored body that is only a little hazy. Even with a careful pour, the glass fills with a huge, fluffy, white head that retains very well and leaves a little lacing.

Potent aroma. It's funky, for sure. An earthy aroma blended with some apple and pear, that finishes with some peppery spice.

In the flavor, the funkiness is greatly diminished, favoring a much heavier emphasis on the peppery spice. A light fruitiness is secondary with a light hop note in the background. Very tasty.

Light to medium mouthfeel that finishes very crisply. Very drinkable. Light enough to enjoy on a hot day, yet would be flavorful enough to combine with a meal.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a .750 L bottle purchased at the Whole Foods in downtown, Sarasota into a tall, wide-mouthed glass.

Appearance: A fierce head, billowy, rocky, that fades slowly. Crusty, jagged, foamy lacing. Lively carbonation dances up through a beautiful straw golden body - it lasts to the bitter end of this gorgeous brew.

Smell: Rich, deep grainy aroma intertwined with spicy, fresh, lemony esters and a funky, earthy yeast scent. It's sweet, but also musty, and oh so mild.

Taste: Sweet and grassy grain notes are in the foreground, with a slight hop bitterness and a hint of peppery alcohol in the tail. Mild fruity notes - not just citrus, but something else as well, banana esters perhaps - mingle with earthy, musty nuttiness and spice notes imparted by the yeast. There's quite a lot going on here, and it's all divine.

Mouthfeel: Slick, but crisp, with a medium body, and a good carbonation profile.

Drinkability: Stellar. It went so well with the sharp cheddar mac'n'cheese, I ended up drinking practically the entire bottle on my own and was only mildly tipsy. There's enough going on in this raw, complex beer that it can be enjoyed any number of ways.

Forget wine - bring a .750 L bottle of Hennepin to your next dinner party. Very pleased that this is a domestic brew - it tastes decidedly Belgian.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Had on tap at Pizza Luce in MPLS.

A- A very gold colored beer, nice head and retention.

S- Smells very nice, it has a nice spicy smell with a slight grainy smell.

T- Nice zesty spice taste, best way to describe it.

M- Great mouthfeel, carbonated nicely and very sessionable.

D- This beer is extremely drinkable on a warm day, one of the best, if not the best, saison I have ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Pale straw with thick, lasting, frothy head.

Smell - Grassy hops. Spicey yeast overtones. Some clove aroma.

Taste - Nice spicey sweetness, with floral hop balance. A hint of clove in the aftertase.
Good complexity.

Mouthfeel - Effervescent, and quenching. Medium body.

Drinkability - Complex and balanced flavor makes this an excellent quality brew. The last drink leaves you wanting another. This is quickly becoming a favorite.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured according to bottle instructions into tulip which produced significant head that dissipated slowly with great lacing. Straw color with slight cloudiness. Streaming bubbles from bottom of tulip exactly like champagne. Never seen that before.

Great smell, banana, citrus, bready. Unbelievable taste, just enough funk/sour to give it an amazing character. I've never had a beer quite like this, can't wait to have another.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy yellow with a big foamy head that lasts for a bit. Moderate lacing. Big aroma of grapefruit and citrus, with notes of yeast. The taste follows the aroma, along with a fair amount of sweetness and spice. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is such a good saison. It leaves me thinking of warmer weather and hoping for another glass soon.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Amazing head on top of a dark yellow body launches up to the top of the glass and hangs out forever, ending its long life in a spiderweb of beauty. Glass is soapy all the way down. This beer could not look any more inviting.

S: Mint, orange, wheat, lemon, and funk.

T: I've had only a handful of Saison-styled beer, but this is heads and shoulders above all of them. Citrus and funk define an amazing blast of flavor that is not at all shy. What a magnificent work of art this beer is!

M: Sharp kick of carbonation is as good as it gets. Wish the citrus flavors would stick around longer in my mouth rather than the funk, but that's the only possible complaint I could generate.

D: I could slam these until I pass out. Delicious.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

In a way, I think this is the beer that really introduced me to craft beer...this was something I knew nothing about, picked up on a whim, and just plain fell in love with. Figured it was time for a proper review...

Pours a clear bright golden color, an absolute monster white head forms, diminishing very slowly and leaving a lot of lacing in the glass. Really soft pepper in the nose, nothing too bracing, yeasty, and plenty of lemon aroma. Taste follows the nose, with some clove and pear notes, and a faint grassy hop presence. Really clean finish, medium-bodied, and refreshing as hell. Just a total classic, and one of those beers that should always be in my fridge....in fact, from now on, it will always be there, if anyone wants to check up on me.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

My first saison came from the well in a flute glass. A slightly cloudy honey and tea was topped with an airy head that left a trace of lace

It was faint in the nose and not as available as I would like, but straw and spice with a hint of fruit.

What a beautifully flavored beer. Earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. The draw was the best part. Touches of honeydew, melon and orange! FABULOUS!

If this is the archetype saison, I shall be having more!

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

So, I'm kicking my own ass for not trying this earlier. Its a fairly accessible brew around my parts and I've passed it over time and time again.... I won't make that mistake again..

Beautiful pale yellow appearance with a huge fluffy foamy head that never goes away...

Aroma is a yeasty funky citrusy wonderful thing... A little banana presents itself as well...

Damn, this is just terrific... Slightly citrusy and hoppy but also yeasty and funky at the same time... I grilled steaks while enjoying these and its a terrific summer brew... Sessionable? Not by me... The 7% will get you..

I will be getting and keeping this one from now on... This will be a new staple for me..

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle that reads "Product of Belgium" on the label into my Ommegang Witte tumbler, because I already managed to break my Hennepin flute.

My first BA review, of the beer that got me to pay attention, so if I sound ignorant it's because I am.

A--Color matches the logo and "Worth the Wheat" slogan on my glass, basically a tawny more gold than yellow wheat. Good sized head that's more foamy than fizzy with some lacing.

S--My weakest category. To me it smelled mostly funky barnhouse, with a little piney citrus sharpness. Like a used horse blanket sprayed with Pledge.

T--The biggest thing I noticed was a hot spiciness that wasn't from hops, though I can feel in the backend a sharp pine bite from them. Took me a while to get the taste but I think it's like ginger, or candied ginger, as there's a mellow sweetness that rounds it out first. Beginning of the swish in my mouth was more yeast than anything, with some grassiness, too.

M--Medium with a little more carbonation than I like. Definitely smooth with a little chewiness.

Great drinkability for a humid day in that oxymoron of places, the Brooklyn backyard. Went great with a slice of tomato pie. This beer got it all started for me, and while I've moved on somewhat, I've got much respect for it. Hope I gave it its due without sounding like a complete moron.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours with a nice billowing white head, rising to 2 1/2 fingers, settling down to 1/8", laces all the way with the glass. The smell of this one is sweet, mostly malt with some fruity hints and a bit of alcohol and floral hops. The taste is very nice, fruit and a lot of malt up front a bit of grain in the middle and a nice hop kick at the end. The feel of this one is the best I have had, like liquid velvet. Smooth but robust and full, creamy but not overbearing, with a well balanced carbonation that tingles just right...very well done. Overall this is one that will take permanate residence in my chiller. A nice .750 to have on hand for nights with friends and nights at home.

Review edit...I tried this one initally over chilled. As the beer warms it unlocks hidden smells and flavors that are not present when cooler in temp. There is a sweeter more pronounced body and more hop character when warm, the boquet also opens up to a more spicy oroganic nose, with a definite yeast presence that envokes a bananna aroma that should make chaquita jealous.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a bright hazy gold. Minimal head, cloudy as hell.

S: Fresh, pungent, lemons, sour, wild flowers, orange. The fact that I get a lot of aroma from this beer says something since my sense of smell lacks a bit.

T: Champagne, sour, this is a beer that I feel is the benchmark for the style. This is a superb summer beer with a bright, fresh taste that leaves the mouth feeling like you just ate a garden salad with some green apples and a light vinaigrette.

M: The prevalence of green apple taste made me think that I would have the aftertaste in my mouth that I get from green apples, but I absolutely do not. This beer gently rolls off the tongue and leaves me feeling light and fresh.

D: I love this beer. I need to go buy more. As summer approaches, I can see myself sitting out on my deck on a cool MN summer night drinking a four pack of this lovely brew. I will be purchasing more.

Appearance - A cloudy copper color with 2 fingers of head

Smell - a tart smell with spices mixed in, a very unique beer

Taste - goodness with a citrus blend

Mouthfeel - very smooth with moderate carbination

Drinkability - very drinkable, Im in love

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle at the Esplanade Bier Markt. This was their last bottle as they had just changed the beer menu for the spring/summer season. Offered to me for free for that reason. Served in a matching Hennepin glass (which I also obtained gratis).

A chill-hazed deeper golden colour in the body, with a fairly large white head that doesn't want to leave. In that respect it's certainly Belgian. Nose brings the smells of a hay barn during baling season (someting I'm familiar with), matching mustiness, some esters. Not that the hay barn dominates, but it's there.

The flavour is like the denizens of a barn in spring. Flavour is musty, some hop pepper plays around with lemon and grassy flavours. Alcohol chases them, cavorting, but never roughhousing. Young calves, baby horses, barn kittens, all delighting in their freedom and the spring.

A delightful beer, the rawness of it entices me like the less-than-perfect recordings from a indie CD. This beer hasn't been polished, the rough edges are still there, and that's what makes it so great. It's a beer to drink and enjoy. Again and again.... and again.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I bought the holiday pck consisting of this one,three philosophers,and the chocolate indulgence. Damn did I pick a winner here.

Poured in to my Ommegang snifter.Pours a very hazy yellow color with an extreme white fizzy heading that just about fizzes out to a a thin heading around the edges.

Smell was immediate as soon as I popped the cork. Very tart and fruity upfront followed by a lemon zestiness. A nice clove to dress thing's up and finish it off.

Taste and Mouth is pretty much the same extreme fruity tartiness, and very zesty. A nice hoppiness as well along with some very sweet malts. The palate is a alive and kicking with some corriander,clove,pepper,spiciness. Simply awesome. Again very alive and bubbly on the tongue. Medium bodied and just an amazing overall mouth feel.

Drink is great a nice offering of alcohol but never really stands out. Easy drinking and easily enjoyable. A must have in my book.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Had heard so much about this beer decided to give it a go..came ina 12oz Amber coloured bottle ..with loads of useful info on the back and sides of the label.
Poured a nice murky orange colour with a smallish pure white head which dissapates to a fine lace.
The aroma of this beer is out of this world really pungent fruits and spices well mixed..i smell cherry, plum even some banana.. strawberry wow every time i smell this i get a different aroma great stuff.
The tase of this beer is almost as good as the aroma.. again i get cherry..tingles on the back of the tongue leaving some hop bitterness thats well hidden..then as it goes down the throat I feel the alcoholic warmth..dang i can still taste this beer a full 1 minute after i have swallowed.
Very easy on the mouth, the carbonation seems just right.
Very drinkable but i couldnt manage more than 4 or 5 in a sitting..
WOW what can I say? a great beer

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

750 mL corked and caged bottle.

Appearance: Cloudy golden amber, with slight carbonation bubling throughout. White, fluffy head that settled slowly; leaves a nice, uniform, spotty lace.

Smell: Like a strong Hefeweizen. Clove and banana, with noticeable musty, earthy tones.

Taste: More complex than I can completely analyze. Very creamy start, with sour citrusy, sacharine notes. Noticeable but not distracting alcohol content. Yeasty, wheaty middle. This beer finishes with that sacharine tinge coming through again . . . a sweetness marked by a bitter, dry finish that cuts the total sweet effect. Very crisp, and very easy to drink.

For $3.99/750 mL bottle, this is an enormous bargain. Pairs well with Vermont white cheddar and an impending Nor'easter. Great brew overall, and an excellent beer for the price.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a deep yellow with some orange. Thick, creamy head retains well through consumption.

S: Citrus and spices.

T: Refreshing, citrus, ginger, sweet and other garden spices.

M: Light yet excellent body - well balanced.

O: Really well done and refreshing.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

This is a hard beer for me to judge as this is probably the only saison I have had, but is it delicious or what! I think the only reason I haven't tried them is because of the price tag of some of these french/belgian farmhouse beers.

A- Light golden color with a big frothy head that stays the entire drink.

S- Smell is yeasty, with dry fruit and caramel malt in the background

T- Yeasty to start, then the malt kicks in with a nice caramel flavor, some hops add a spicy sting, then it finishes with a dry yeasty flavor and heat from the alcohol

M- This is a lighter bodied beer than other similar high gravity brews. High carbonation as well, but there also is a certain hardness to it, this must be from the carbonates or other minerals in the water.

D- This is a delicious brew and the light body gives it the drinkability that makes A-B blush. With the high alcohol content I am happy I can only afford this once in a while.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

What a great beer, this is definitely going to be a regular purchase.

Appearance: Gold in color, not particularly clear. Good head and lace.

Smell: Earthy aroma, with some citrus and spicy hops.

Taste: So good, so balanced. Complex without being busy. I was expecting to find the "farmhouse" flavors to be a little more assertive, and that it would make this style more of an acquired taste, but I didn't find that to be true at all. It's not too sweet, like many Belgians tend to be. My new favorite Belgian-style ale, for sure.

Mouthfeel: Light body, not at all syrupy. Good carbonation. Finishes dry.

Drinkability: Paired with a meal of chicken, sauteed mushrooms, homemade creamed spinach, and gnocchi in a gorgonzola cream sauce, this was delightful. More please.

(Originally reviewed 02/28/2010)

APPEARANCE - Cloudy, Pale, yet the middle of the glass, from top to bottom, it appears to be darker, almost as if a Yuengling was surrounded by a Miller Lite. Pure White head, 1 1/2 fingers up. Carbonated fairly well, bubbles continue to rise to the top

SMELL - Sour, citrus, spice, yeast, alcohol. I think the sour could possibly be some granny smith apples in there.

TASTE - Malty, citrus-acidic, I tend to sense some earthy flavors as well. Maybe even a hint of banana - nothing overpowering or obnoxious, but nice. Slight grapefruit aftertaste, combined with bitterness and dryness.

MOUTHFEEL - Smooth. Carbonation does not interfere with the experience. Definately medium bodied and crisp.

DRINKABILITY - Complex flavors, strength and price make this one a winner. Constructed almost perfectly, delivers powerful product, this was a highly enjoyable experience.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang