Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,506 | Reviews: 2,108
4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crisp and clear, really solid farmhouse. My favorite Ommegang, with Gnomegang a close second

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance - pours a cloudy/clear ale with a tremendous amount of white, bubbly head. real good carbonation occurring, very lively and fresh looking.

Smell - picking up some grassy nodes, along with slight citrus. there are hints of banana in there as well, although subtle.

Taste - oh man, what a great tasting beer. some sweet, little bitterness near the end, so good. you can really taste the sweet from banana's early, the hops and grass nodes add the bitterness to the end.

Mouthfeel - very full, very rich, very dynamic, adds such a sweetness to the beer while bringing the bitterness fwd even more. So good!

Overall - what a fantastic beer, one of the best i have had in awhile, so complete and so well balanced.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

A: a nice layer of bone white fuzz rests atop a light golden peach body, with some light yellows shining through. Some lacing is present

S: a pinch of spices, funk, hay, and some hops. The nose is a bouquet of wonderful smells. A late dried sour apple nose is showing up

T: the taste is sheer deliciousness. In no particular order: honey, hops, a wedge of lemon, a slice of green apple, peppery, and citrusy while maintaing a light funk and earthy dimension. Hops start to get herbal-like and grassy after a while. Malts are sweet and biscuity

M: feels like a million. Lighter body with ample carbonation, the tickling kind. Top marks are for balance in the body as its light but maintains a solid presence

D: wonderful, absolutely wonderful beer

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a pale straw color, with a pillowy, loose white head, that wants to overflow. I slow the pour down, but inadvertently get a bit of the yeast sediment stirred up. Won't bother me, but clouds the overall presentation. (I obviously won't take this into account as far as ratings go however.)

Smells peppery, and honey sweet.

Tastes of honey mingle with the light doughy malt flavor. Also prominent are pepper and lemon flavors. Decently hopped, and while the bitterness is detectable, it plays its part without having to have all of the attention. I'm picking up some other fruity notes as well, although I can't quite decide if it's more of an apricot, or maybe even a pear. Either way, very good.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tart and crisp, semi-dry finish, and it leaves me with a desire for more.

Overall, I really dig this beer. I quit smoking a few months ago, and I can definitely taste more now, than when I tried the same beer a couple of years ago. I will be drinking this much more often, and trying as many Saisons as I can get my hands on too.

Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a clear golden yellow, decent bubbly head that dissipates leaving a nice thin layer of foam. Smells of medicinal phenols, clove, spiciness from the clove, light malty tones, touch of funk, just incredible. Tastes of dry, crisp spicy malt with a nice crisp bitterness and dry finish. Nice phenols and clove throughout balanced nicely with a clean malt. Some orange perhaps? Some earthy hops near the end, but muted by the spicy dry finish. Thin mouthfeel that is perfect for this style.

An amazing saison, lots of flavor, not sure if its from the malt or the added ingredients (ginger and orange, i think). Not super dry but being an American interpretation, one of the best for its style.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ommegang Hennepin has a rather thin, fizzy, root beer-like, off-white head and a hazy, extremely bubbly, lemon-yellow appearance, with some lacing left behind. This beer clouds up, once the bottom caked brown substance is swished loose and poured in. The aroma is of citrus zest, sugar, biscuit, spices, and candy, and the flavor is of all that, with some mellow bitterness detected in the background. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly, and Ommegang Hennepin finishes champagne dry, refreshing, lively, and very drinkable for a 7%+ alcohol beer. Overall, it’s really wonderful, and I score it most excellent. I would like to try a stripped-down version, without the spices to see how it holds up.

RJT

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer was poured out of a 12 ounce bottle. Served cool.

The body is Lemondrop yellow with a very thick White head

Smells like cloves and hay

Very herbal taste somewhat bitter, cloves and medicinal herbs. Very slight boozy finish

Well carbonated

This is a very nice. I would certainly have again

750 ml. bottle.
First glass pours a nice deep copper with a billowy white head that quickly recedes. Light to moderate lace. Very fruity scents, including apple. Spices are ginger and coriander. This is a beutifully spiced brew from start to finish. Low peppery image mixed with fruit produces a cidery quality. This beer makes no apology and produces a very bold flavor. The finish is stong with belgian malt and a hint of alcohol. Worth the 3.99 price tag, to be as understating as possible. Second glass gives an entirely different character, as I add all of the yeast. Everytime I buy this beer I wonder why I don't buy it more often.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer is one of my all time favorites.

It pours golden clear with a nice off white head. Good retention.

Smells like a mixture of fruit and malt. Spicy notes. Very nice.

This Belgian beer is everything that this style is about. It is not over sweet or over refined. It is PERFECT!

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Tasting this beer takes me back to Father's Day 2005. My girls took me on a brewery tour in Bruges at the Straffe Hendrik Brewery. They were serving their Saison. Hennepin has managed to capture the essence of the Belgium brewing style. A smooth blend of fruit, sour, and muted bread flavors that perfectly mask the relatively high alcohol content. I recently had one of these while watching Rick Steves give a HD tour of of the Grand Place in Brussels - perfect.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip. My bottle says packaged on 7/30/2009, best by 7/2011.

Appearance: hazy light golden color with lots of apparent effervescence and two fingers of puffy white head. Looks good to me.

Smell: light pear aroma with a nice bit of chalkiness. It's kind of one-dimensional here but I really like this particular dimension. Simply delicious-smelling.

Taste: again, light pear with a distinct and delicious chalkiness. There is a tiny hint of malty funk buried underneath the delicious subtlety; it peeks out a bit toward the end along with a nice smooth bitterness. This is a delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body with good carbonation and cream, cream, cream. Outstanding.

Drinkability: as I said, simply delicious. I've never had Hennepin before, but this might have to become a staple in my household.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a 750 into a Chimay chalice (3 pours). Pours a hazy golden color with a huge bright white head that has left no lacing down the glass. The aroma is amazing. This beer has more distant aromas then any other I've had. There is Nutmeg, coriander, earth, yeast, bread, and a plethora of others that I just can't name yet because my nose isn’t refined enough yet. I definitely need to return to this beer later. Taste is spicy, lots of nutmeg along with cinnamon and allspice with an earthly, alkaline taste to boot. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a bit of carbonation. An oily residue coats your mouth with this earthy goodness. Great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into an Ommegang goblet that I got for free along with the purchase of this bottle...KICK ASS! Golden and orange with a huge, two-finger, fluffy head. Citrusy hop aroma filled with lemon, orange, grapefruit, and flowers. Very pleasant. Great taste. A little on the acidic side, but the hops really play against each other very well. A very drinkable beer that I will most definitely be purchasing again though I prefer the regular Ommegang to this.

Update (4/12/05):
Just had Hennepin on-tap @ The Elephant Walk in Boston, MA. Amazing. The aroma really came out more than before . Very citrusy. It was also dangerously drinkable. Served in a pint glass, but I'll let it slide because it just means I got more bang for my buck. And what a bang it was! (Insert dirty response here).

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

I've really wanted to try Hennepin for a while now. The local liquor store got my request in only two weeks time. $6.99 a bomber w/no freshness dating.

I wasn't that impressed with the pour in my Chimay goblet. The head died down after a minute. Very golden colored and just a bit cloudy. The yeast are stuck right on the bottom of the glass. Lots of bubbles though ...

Right away I can smell the spicy-ness and hay. A little bit of funkiness. This is definitely a good sign of things to come.

The taste was very Belgian Pale Ale like .. reminded me a bit of Duvel, but not as sweet. Belgian candi sugar & ginger like. Right away there was some pepper and earthiness/grass to contrast the initial sweetness. After the spicy-ness was just a touch of hay and yes ... a touch of horse blanket (I always wanted to use that adjective for a beer review). After all those flavors a medium punch of Noble hops left my tongue a bit dry. I couldn't detect any hotness at all.

The carbonation was spot on ... constant bubbling and very effervescent, this beer felt alive. The second pour I managed to coax all the yeast into the beer and it pushed the taste to 4.5 territory with a bit more bitterness and spicy-ness. I wanted to drink more right after putting the glass down on my desk.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. bottle into tulip.

A- hazy yellow with white head. Hard to pour this one without creating a large head. Dissipated fairly quickly. Lots of bubbles.

S- Smells like a hefeweizen. Lots of banana and clove with some pepper.

T- Similar to a Duvel, but not quite as complex. The taste follows the nose, with plenty of the Belgian yeast coming through. I was fascinated by the finish I got, which added a new dimension to the range of flavors already present

M- Very carbonated at first, which took away from it, but was much better as it warmed. Dry and crisp.

O- I'm not too familiar with the Saison style. Having only had Saison de Silly, I was expecting something a little more funkier and out of normal range, but I suppose the Silly is an exception. Overall, a nice brew that I will be enjoying more of soon.

Tasted On: 01-12-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 750 ml brown bottle
Glassware: Ommegang cervoise glass
Purchased: Received as a gift

Got this for Christmas in a gift box with 2 other bottles and the elegant glass. My bottle said it was brewed in Belgium at Duvel.

A: Clear, golden colored ale, with a good amount of bubbles in the glass. The white head is a huge rocky mass of 4+ fingers that shows excellent retention and super lacing. A very attractive pour.

S: Fresh and spicy, the aromas are clean and have the typical Belgian yeast notes. Fruit smells as well, as in apples and grapes. I also get some peppery notes. Overall the aromas make a wonderful combination.

T: Taste is complex; wine-like in the dryness and fruit flavors, with the peppery and spicy features carrying over from the nose. Features a nice bite from the hops but I wouldn't call it bitter. Fruity, but not overly sweet. The flavors transform nicely as the beer warms.

M: Crisp mouthfeel from high carbonation on a medium body. The finish is semi-dry with a light tartness.

O: Overall an exceptional beer that I enjoyed highly.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

This hazy, golden beer poured more clear, golden color than I expected. Definitely clouded -- but hardly the opaque biology lab many similar beers ressemble. So I was a bit surprised. The Duvel-ish head is creamy, dense, and lingering -- but never impossibly big.

Well carbonated and somewhat spritzy on the tongue but not in that pop-rocks sort of way -- more like a solid German hefe. And indeed, that's kind of what it reminded me of on first taste. Lemons and coriander up front. More acidic earth on the back end of the swallow.

Something of a farmer's market of flavor.

This is a great beer -- definitely a crafted product. Nothing immature or haphazard tasting about this brew.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a light straw into a tulip glass with a significant, three finger head.

The aroma is of hops, a little fruitiness, and a dry, spiciness.

The taste is a bit of hops, backed up by some spiciness, perhaps coriander. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I know its wonderful.

I've never had a Belgian I didn't enjoy, but Ommegang is making a firm Belgian fan out of me. I'm drinking this during winter, but I can't imagine a much better spring or summer drink. It's crisp, refreshing, and yet, at 7%, its no slouch in the alcohol department.

I haven't had many saison's, but I can say with confidence, that this is an excellent example of its style, and one I will repeatedly return to.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance is a light yellow - thick head lasts throughtout along with lacing. Very appealing.
Aroma is fruity with hints of malt and and a slight hint of alcohol
Taste is superior - hints of malt and grapefruit. Alcohol is present, but not overbearing at all for a beer with 7%+ abv.
Mouthfeel is also superior - carbonation is present but not overbearing.
Overall this is a superior American made Belgian Ale. 750ml for $3.88 at the corner grocer is a no brainer for an alternative to anything else they have to offer. Upstate NY Rocks!

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Had a glass on tap at the Hopleaf Bar in Chicago, servered in a hennepin glass.

Murky golden yellow hue with a rocky white head that lasted quite a long time.

Lots of aromas, lemons,pepper, nuts, grains, and earthy yeasts.

Great flavor, with grains citrus(lemons, pineapple) Hoppy biscuit flavor. Very complex but well balenced. the mouthfeel was very refreshing but sensed the alcohol.

A very fine and drinkable beer. Have one as often as possible.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy white gold color. Long lasting head of mixed small bubbles and lace on a chalice glass...poured from corked bottle. Aroma of grass, bread dough, citrus. Taste changes significantly as the beer warms/opens up...floral hops, amber malts, black pepper...subtle notes of sour apple, soap, alcohol, clove, lemon rind. Lively carbonation with a crisp, enticing finish. Overall very flavorful with farmhouse yeast esters offering many flavors. Good alone or with various foods. Darn tasty!

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Enjoyed immediately after a sample of regular Hennepin for comparisons sake. Comes in a 750ml corked bottle. Has a layer of dirt on the bottle. Bottle #1471, this was “cave-aged at Howe Caverns at a depth of 156 feet at constant temperature of 52 degrees Fahrenheit from early 2003 until September 23rd of the same year. Enjoyed 6/21/04. Claims to be the only American brewery that has been cave aging beer in over a century. Cork appears to have mold on the top, a little worrisome…
This is one of the most carbonated beers I’ve ever had, with tremendous head and unrelenting carbonation. This beer is alive. Incredibly thick, foamy, lacy white head that explodes out of the bottle. Let me stress this point. The head of the beer continues to expand minutes AFTER pouring. Absolutely incredible. I had trouble keeping this beer in it’s glass! A golden color, less cloudy than the regular beer, but more carbonated.
I wanted to believe that the extra few bucks I spent on a cave aged beer would be worth it. Truth be told, although subtle, there is a difference. Smell is a little more pronounced, though has the same characteristic orange smell. Taste is outstanding. Extremely smooth, with a slight hoppy taste and lots of spice, orange and citrus. Unbelievably smooth for it’s ABV, this beer distinguishes itself as one of the best Belgian beers in America, and would put up a impressive fight in a Belgium itself. This beer kicks ass, and I’m proud to say it.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours a cloudy yellow/straw color with a fluffy two finger head which lasts until the end. Good lacing, almost worthy of a Pale Ale, and high carbonation.

The smell is bubble gum and spices. The grains of paradise as well as the advertised corriander can be detected. There is also a fruity smell, (pears? and maybe a hint of banana as the brew warms up), as well as a floral smell. There is also a musty wet straw/wet hay smell lurking just beneath the surface along with sweet malts.

The taste is sweet with a very sweet berry like, bubble gum taste along with lots of sweet wheat. The spices tickle the palette then the sweet, creamy wheat taste comes in. There is just a tiny amount of light spicy hops on the backend. The feel is creamy and the beer goes down smoothly.

Overall this close to the perfect hot day/summer beer.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Coudy golden-orange, with billowy pure white head that sticks around for the long haul. Beautiful. Spicy banana aromas, very complex. Taste is herbal hops, pepper, clove, banana, candied ginger, caramelized orange rind, pear -- it's all in there! High carbonation creates a playful feeling on the tongue, and balances nicely with the spicy and oh-so-bitter finish. This is a damn good beer.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 750 ml brown, corked, bottle into an Orval Chalice.

Appearance is orangish-golden color, and very clear. Abundantly bubbly carbonation, and head is a thin, sparkly, off-white, pinkish layer.

Aroma is malt, citrus fruit, some floral aspects. Very mild and pleasing aroma.

Taste is mild and pleasing as well, a quality drinker. Hard to believe this is brewed in new york, as it screams Import.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang