Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

On tap at the Toronado. Poured into a 13 ounce tulip.

A-Pours a slightly hazy yellow. The bartender filled the glass to the rim which results in a minimal almost white head. A few visible bubbles can be seen rising.

S-Sweet fruit stands out. Lots of green apple. It also has a lot of bread aroma. Not much funk is coming out.

T-Tastes very sweet. The fruit, particularly apples, pineapple, and pears, are strong. The bready flavor is very strong in the aftertaste. Not very funky tasting. In the back there is a little spiciness.

M-Medium bodied and sticky. It has some prickly carbonation.

D-A decent beer, but too much sweet fruit for more than one. Would like it to be a tad more dry and funky.

This was my first time having this on tap. I had a bottle a few years ago that I remember being funkier. Time to revisit a bottle of this.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Thousands of bubbles rush to the surface like so many helium balloons. Pours a straw gold with an impermeable haziness and a champagne style head with great foaminess.

S - Has a freshness which reminds me of a Hefeweizen; I think particularly due to the coriander and orange peel which are mentioned on the label. Man, this beers smells so good; sweet and yeasty.

T - Has a very homespun taste; I get herbs, crisp citrus, yeast and wheat with a nip of hops just before it washes down the throat. I’ve never had a homebrew, but this is sort of how I can imagine a homebrewed Belgian wheat ale (which didn’t quite go to plan in terms of carbonation and complexity) tasting. Pleasant but not top stuff.

M - Unusually I found this a little wanting in terms of carbonation, although this may be true to style. Continues the homely feel from before, I find myself wanting to describe the mouthfeel as ‘cozy’ if that makes any sense. The beer just seems to envelop your tongue with a blanket of gentle bubbles spun from medium-weight fabric.

O - My first saison, and certainly a style I will continue to explore off the back of this experience. While 7.7% abv isn’t super high, it’s a good fraction higher than your average beer, and this beer carries the load with no stoop in its shoulders, a trait I must always commend. If this serves as an exemplar for saisons, then for me that means I ought expect a sort of musty, wheaty Belgian ale with a casual attitude towards carbonation. If this beer were cheaper it would be highly sessionable, but as it stands, while enjoyable, I probably wouldn’t pay $10 for a bomber again when I can get my hands on top notch Belgians, Weizenbocks and Hefeweizens for less.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang