Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,085 | Hads: 5,590
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 750 mL bottle of wonderful brew. Dull golden color, slightly cloudy, topped off with a big voluptuous cap of foam. A big nose: citrus, green apples dipped in caramel, cloves and peppery spice all entwined. It keeps coming in waves and waves. The beer seduces the palate with a sharpness and acidity opening the way for a pear fruitiness and malt sweetness. Noticeable carbonation and very refreshing. A spiciness envelopes the entire experience and is most noticeable in the finish. A great and complex beer. (510 characters)

about 40 degree F into a pilsner glass
A- pours with a massive, creamy, billowing head, pale straw.

S- the floral and spicy Saaz can be smelled from a yard away

T- sweet, medium body with notes of apples and grass.

M- exceptionally smooth. Light but certainly not watery

D- a great beer, I see what all the saison fuss is about. A great buy. (345 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from 750ml bottle with cage and cork(room temp) after an initial big pop and a bit of overflow. It's a clear light gold(until further into the bottle when it becomes hazy from the sediment) in colour with lots and lots of foam and a dust devil of bubbles, dead center in my Chimay glass. Interesting look. Btw, my bottle says 7.7%abv but no bid deal...:^)

The smell is inviting...all malty, yeasty and an abundant nose of clove and fruit.

The taste is so nicely complex. Flavours of yeast and malt abound heading towards the sweet but then an ample hop bitterness moves in, with some sour citrus notes, causing me to utter an inaudible "hell yeah"! :^) Tasty stuff to say the least and so darn drinkable!

Oh and...I've had a few Saisons and this one, imho, is dead on for style...way to go Ommengang!

Bottom line: Here's an *excellent* example of the Saison style that should please the most discerning Belgian Ale drinker. Recommended!! (957 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I did a blind taste test of this next to Saison Dupont and the Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale.

An explosive white head quickly filled the glass. Underneath lay the translucently golden ale. Nice retention.

The smell was marvelously pungent, bringing forth candied orange peel, clove, and wildflower honey.

The taste was exceptional with wisps of clove, honey, apple cider and anise.

Hennepin has a higher abv than its competitors, yet managed to conceal it the best. The fizzy carbonation fit perfectly as well.

I've only tried these three saisons, but without a doubt I enjoyed Hennepin the most. With its lively carbonation it is a great beer to replace champagne with for those special occasions, and it also gets the job done on those extra hot summer days when a BA needs a cold one. (788 characters)

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: A pale golden straw color and just lightly hazy. The head is foamy and white with fairly good retention and strong lacing. There is a lot of visible carbonation.

S: Smells primarily of yeast and a little spice. There is a bit of citrus/lemon to the scent and some hops.

T: Again, one of the dominant flavors is earthy yeast. The most notable flavor is that of bananas, which is surprisingly identifiable in this beer. There are also some spices. The finish is clean and somewhat citrusy. The alcohol is noticeable but mild.

M: Feels fairly dry with a decent amount of carbonation.

O: A nice farmhouse ale. Belgian yeast plays a large role and it is drinkable, dry and clean. (730 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a cave-aged bottle that I acquired recently thanks to Beerpanther.

Gold murky color with a lush foam head of 5 mm. The head holds extremely well. Beautiful thick lace remains on the sides of the glass.

The aging really takes any of the bite and harshness out of this beer. It is as smooth as can be and lush honey, fruity, floral combo on the nose and the palate with none of the champagne-like sting that can sometimes be apparent from the carbonation. I have always been a fan of Ommegang and the abbey ale seemed to really improve and add an extra layer of complexity with the cave aging wherreas the Hennepin is just smoother, mellower and more drinkable. Excellent !! (686 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

750mL bottle poured into tulip glass, no freshness date but does say to serve at 50F.

A: Pours a super (and I mean super) sticky and bubbly two inch head that fades into a thickish ring halfway through the glass leaving behind lacing all the way to the finish. Tightly packed bubbles coming up from all sides of the glass makes this one look especially inviting.

S: I can see why a lot of people would say this one smells like a dressed up macro lager. It has a bit a husky sweetness to it but not that much so that it should be confused with a macro. Peppery lemon and yeasty aromas dominate instead. Each is subtly balanced but still pungent enough to still be greedily inviting from across the room (I exagerate but still very good).

T/MF: Spicy upfront with a good balance of lemony and peppery herbal tones that even out with a good deal of yeast that makes the beer almost feel creamy as the beer warms in my mouth. Finishes rather fruity with tinges of apple, orange and coriander. Leaves the tongue a bit dry but not overly so, very refreshing kind of dryness that one might get from drinking sparkling water. Great complex beer in every facet.

D: Tastes super fresh and with nearly no alcohol heat to detract from the subtle flavorings. Great for a hot day, or any day for that matter. The heavy carbonation makes this one especially good after mowing the lawn and is quite quaffable by yourself, I had the whole 750mL by myself and was as lucid as when I first popped the cork on this one. (1,511 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date found.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow color that produced a massive pure white fluffy head with great retention behind it. It left sticky lacing all over the place as it finally dissipated. There was still some foam left even with the last sip.

(S)- A floral aroma that turns quickly to a hay/clay/barnyard funk. Bits of lemon, banana, and yeast dryness. An earthy profile yet fresh with fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Has a bigger banana/lemon creaminess to it that fits nicely with the earthy yet dry funk of hay/barnyard background.

(M)- A lively carbonation level that fizzes up on the tongue. Has a crisp and refreshing feel to it. Not overly bitter, sweet, or dry; yet it has a little bit of each creating a nice harmonious balance. A playful complexity that keeps you guessing.

(D)- A wonderful Saison. Granted, this is not a true belgain; but its one of the best American-made of the style. One of my most favorite summer beers to enjoy. It is crisp and refreshing. A great example of the style. One of Ommegang's best offerings in my opinion. (1,116 characters)

25th Birthday Beer!!!
This review is from a fresh 750mL bottle. I poured aggressively enough (into an inviting cognac glass) to produce an inch thick head, which lingered for a bit and then dissipated aside to a small ring around the edge of the glass. Color is a beautiful hazy golden-orange with fine bubbles constantly breaching the surface of the beer. This really gives it a lively quality, which is further enhanced by the earthy overtones in the smell and taste.

Initial smell is of candied malts, apple, banana, orange, and straw. Mouthfeel is what I would expect...the bottle conditioning gives a delightful tingling in the mouth, and the slickness and moderate body lets the beer waft across the tastebuds very easily.

Shit...I haven't even gotten to taste yet? :)
Taste is very balanced. Honey and light fruits hit the buds initially, followed by a grassy taste/smell, which is accompanied by a variety of phenols to give some warmth to the taste. Finish is the slightest hop bitterness. It is just enough to balance the upfront dry malts, sugars, and fruit flavors. It really is a melding of many different flavors. Simply ravishing. I absolutely can't believe this is brewed just a couple hundred miles from my house. I have never tasted an American beer like this.

Oh...my. This beer is devilishly drinkable. I can hardly detect the alcohol, as it is well hidden amongst the spices. A 750mL is enough to send me to a happy place, as if the beer weren't enough. I'm not very familiar with Saisons, but all I can say for certain is that this beer is decidedly Belgian, and at $6/750mL, I will buy it again and as often as I can get hold of it. If you love beer, try this beer. (1,699 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Presentation: Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a Duvel tulip. I see no dates on the bottle.

A: Pours a beautiful opaque orange color with 3 fingers of head that recedes very slowly. This beer laces REALLY well on my glass, and the yeasty floaters are a welcome addition without overcrowding the glass.

S: Smells of pears, sour apple but mildly so, yeast is present. I love the smell of this beer. One of my favorites for sure.

T: The pear and sour apple are present, but not really sour from a taste perspective as much as it is in the smell. The yeast really comes through here, but not bready and heavy like many belgian-style beers. It's clean tasting, and reminds me occasionally of a hefeweizen style without as much of the banana and clove flavors. They are still present though.

M: Creamy, bubbly, and coats my mouth almost as well as any beer out there.

D: Off the charts for me. I drank a full 750ml of this last night without batting an eye, and probably could down 2 of the bombers in a night. Never tastes bitter, too sweet, or too hoppy. Everything is balanced for me.

Overall one of my favorite beers. I often forget to buy it, but should because it's 60-80% of the cost of most Belgians I like just as much. Highly recommend this one if you've never had it. This beer would be good for ANYONE who likes beer in even the slightest respect. (1,368 characters)

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip May,18,2011

A cloudy golden yellow with a very faint green tint at the edges, to say this beer retains well would be an understatement, the head actually grows for a while due to the ridiculous amount of bubbles forming an island of foam on top of the soapy foam base. The bubbles look like driving through a heavy snow storm with your high beams on. Chunks of foam and partial tunnels(not rings) of lace cake my glass right to the bottom and even the bottom of my glass still has an inch of head. Perfect!!

S lemon, rind included, dry cereal, lots of peppery spice, faint funk and even fainter bubble gum

T the bubble gum has now been chewed and I pick up on some tropical fruits both citric and banana, some yeast I couldn't smell, and just a touch of booze along with everything I smell

M light and very fluffy, not turning to foam in your mouth but heavily carbonated in a manner that's on the edge of being too much but its just keep in check. Big length on the finish and bitter enough to please me

O I know the Saison is a loose style but this beer has all the things I personally look for, refreshing, light, a little booze but well concealed considering, funky yeast and something to set its self apart from every other farmhouse ale, in this case zero fluctuation's from how I view the perfect Saison.

even with a 750ml bottle I found myself smelling an empty glass before this review was typed. This one went down very fast and every sip left me wanting more and before I knew it there was no more to be had. Big Thanks to liamt07 for sending me this beauty,it's not every day I throw down an "A+" and this one deserves it. (1,691 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

To put it simple Ommegang is one hell of a brewery! This nectar pours a cloudy golden color with a slight head and good lace along the glass. The scent is somewhat of a fruity one but not overly sweet like some Belgians. The taste is perfectly balanced more toward the malty side IMO. And it sits well on the palate, this beer is very drinkable for anyone. I think this is the one i would choose for the uneducated beer drinker to start with, it won't scare them off, and we BA can enjoy it also. I didn't think they could beat Ommegan but I think I loke this one better. I look forward to trying the other beers from this brewery when I can get my hands on them........CHEERS (682 characters)

Photo of
4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a glass from the bottle. Brilliant cloudy straw colour with fine bubbles and a good 5 cm of fluffy head that gradually shrunk, but never fully disappeared.

Champagne-like aroma of yeasty fruit with sour undertones.

Crisp on the palate with some residual sugar. Subtle notes of crisp sour apples with a yeasty, mineral (chalky, but pleasantly) aftertaste, and lingering notes of apple peel. Well balanced between rich and refreshing

Fine carbonation tempers the rich, creamy texture for a perfectly balanced mouthfeel. (533 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into the ommegang glass

A-Very cloudy with a big white fluffy head, suprisingly it doesnt lace down the glass a whole lot.

S-Spices galore, notes of clove and corriander most noteable but many others are lighter notes. Also a good alcohol burn in the nose.

T-Spicy and sweet the flavor of this beer is so complex and good. The amount of flavors in this beer are asounding, spicy and grassy hops in the front and middle with a mild near tropical citrus flavor in the finish.

M-Light and crisp and just as the rest of the beer extremly complex. Very smooth and well carbonated

D-I'll have this one again its nice to be able to get hold of this more frequent now that I can't get Saison brett from boulevard. (733 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ommegang Hennepin - 1 Pint 9.4oz - Bomber

Look - Resembles a sparkling champagne, golden and lightly carbonated. Full, foamy head.

Smell - Hops and citrus, can definitely smell the coriander and ginger and hops.

Taste - Refreshing and tart with citrus overtones.

Mouthfeel - Very drinkable, another stomach warmer, another one that's hard to tell it is such high alcohol content, which is a good thing.

Overall - Amazing brew, seems like a Summer beer but it was hearty enough to also enjoy in the Winter. Another solid brew from Ommegang! (544 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another hit from ommegang!
they literally know how to hit a "home run" with beer!
My dad went straight there from bhof ..I can see why now.

A-straw like golden with a huge foamy head resembling shaving cream.

S-yeast,cloves,spices,bread...slight funk

T-citrus ,clove,spicy very crisp and well balanced.

M- highly carbonated ,no real funk after tones,dryness..very nice.
I easily downed one in about 2 minutes.

O- this is a uniquely presented brew. although its not a traditional abv or representation of the styles,it is very drinkable and refreshingly smooth.
I always keep this beer in my rotation.
another great thing about this saison is that it seems to age better on shelves.
other saisons have floaties in them sometimes..

purchased at total wine in naples ,florida for 9.99$ for the 4 pk. (806 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Served from a corked 750 ml bottle it appears a golden hue with a vibrant white head leaving trickled lace a picture perfect Belgium style ale. Aroma has some of those farm house ale characteristics of spices and yeast notes very nice along with huge tones of malt sweetness, underlying honey notes and the phenols are also producing the fruit tones characteristic of any fine Belgium ale. So, far simply amazing I love it. Taste light trickled malt, this is the perfect combination of sweetness, light hops, and exotic spices and full rich tones with a nice finish of alcohol on the palate. The mouthfeel has the consistency of a light syrup highly carbonated just full enough to coat the palate and tickle the senses. Drinkability is just wow, I could treat this like a session beer until I tried to stand up. Really too drinkable and desireable to approach too often save it as a treat. Best thing about it is the reasonable price for such a great beer, classic! (965 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A two finger white fluffy head emerges and fades reluctantly to a thin layer. Lacing is very apparent.

The aroma is peppery, some fresh banana, and a bit of medicinal alcohol in the background.

The foremost taste for me is that of cloves and bananas. A bit sour and a slight, but pleasant hoppy presence. Finishes rather dry with a bitter lemon-like aftertaste.

Quite highly carbonated and light bodied in the mouth, pleasant however.

This is my first time experiencing both this beer and this style. I found it to be highly drinkable and look forward to drinking this and other saisons in the future. (670 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

This 11.2 ounce bottle pours at a wonderful 48 degrees into my goblet. It is the color of straw and blonde with a slight hazy. A wonderful finger and half head appears and lingers across the top of the liquid for the entire glass! What a wonderful experience to watch.

The aroma is fruity and floral. Delightful.

The taste is an experience for the entire tongue. I will need to sample this one again to get a better handle on exactly what is going on here. No biting hoppiness -- good so far as I'm concerned. There is a back of the tongue sweetness, fruity on the sides, and light carbonation rounding out the entire package. Superb.

At a low ABV of 7.5% for my cellar, this beer has high drinkablility without losing my "speech center." (he he, ddarden)

This delicious brew will be a staple of my collection! (822 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

750 mL brown bottle purchased at Chesapeake Wine Company in Canton for $5. Chilled on ice for a half hour, and enjoyed during a winning softball game.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass. Big, thick, frothy white head. Great retention. Lacing throughout. Color reminded me of liquid caramel. Lots of carbonation.

Smell: Big yeast smell right off the bat, kept reminding me of the smell of the Baltimore Brewing Company on brewing day... Followed by banana, grapefruit, and spices.

Taste: Tingly carbonation. The caramel color didn’t disappoint when the flavors come rushing in. This baby has thick malty flavors; nice and sweet mix. Some pepper and very faint hops on the back end. This is a very crisp and enjoyable beer. A slight warmth is felt in the mouth after the first swig or two.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Oooh very so. Hennepin has a very heavy mouthfeel with the malty flavors sticking around for a very long time afterward. Although this isn’t a beer that I would pound, or have every day, it is very drinkable and worth many more samples.

I’ve always felt that saison beers were more of a late summer/fall beer. That spicy mix is usually for the cooler weather. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Hennepin worked well in the sun and the warmth. That creamy smoothness is very enjoyable, even when sampled in-between innings. (1,364 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Poured cloudy gold. Head did not last long and was about half a fingers worth.

S: bouquet of fruit but my hairy nose could not differential between bannana and orange.

T: Tangy but sweet undertones with several aftertastes where the fruit becomes more noticeable.

M: Heavier than i expected but glad nonetheless.

D: Very easy on the pallet and the ABV is not noticable to this quafer. (391 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Pours a cloudy sunshine yellow into my DFH signature glass. A three finger bright white head seems to have 7 little layers of bright and darker foam when held to the light... really cool!!! It collapses upon itself like a volcano that gave out leaving sticky, foamy lacing all around the glass. Insane carbonation, but part of that is the glass itself.

S- Fresh cut pear, tart apples, caraway seed, star anise, coriander, Lemongrass, and some black pepper spiciness. Nice nose of torn wheat, hints of banana and Belgian yeast. This is so deep and delicious!

T- Nice yeastiness, pepper and lemon. I wouldn't describe this as funky, but the lively yeast, banana, lemongrass, and pepper really make your tongue stand at attention. Really light, flavorful and crisp. Spicy caraway rye bread tones mixed with a squeeze of lemon.

M- Bursting with spicy carbonation and tart citrus! Nice little bit of alcohol, sweet wheat, and a tinge of funk. I've had this many times, and still love it and am amazed by how well done it is.

O- It really doesn't get much better than this in it's style, or any other! I am in love with this beer, always have been. Light, refreshing, fruity, tart, bready, spicy... It's hard to believe that this is brewed only about an hour and a half away from me, and not half a world away! Take a bow Ommegang... you deserve it. (1,352 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap in a Hennepin tulip at the KC saucer.

A: pours a cloudy white straw color with ample head.
S: smells wonderful.. spicy corriander with a hint of alcohol.
T: a bit of hops up-front with some (unexpected) banana in the middle. Slight alcohol at the end and corriander throughout. I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Delicious.
M: lots of carbonation, but feels a bit.. full and flat on the tongue. Carbonation is apparent in the back of the mouth.
D: I can kick this back like it's water.. but it is so good I choose not to.

Random: I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Definitely more delicious as it warms. (632 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Split a bottle with Kathleen and Golden2wenty1.

Appearance: Hazy golden amber, pours a big head and thick suds. Low viscosity. Impressive under light--reminiscent of La Chouffe.

Aroma: Golden raisins, treacle, a little breadiness. Lemon, orange, and honey development and the faintest hints of spice and pine. Very rich nose, and very pleasant.

Taste: Ginger, lemongrass, honey and lemon zest--good bready foundations. Some grassy notes and a little cloves. Banana and apricot developments. Some pepper and a splash of pine in the finish. The flavors in here are certainly equal to LaChouffe, which this beer constantly reminds me of.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. Nice hops finish. Smooth with low carbonation.

Drinkability: Great--what a treat to have had this on the same night as the Fantome Strange Ghost. At the price, this might be one of the best belgians--in fact, just one of the best beers period--available. Fruity, refreshing, fantastic. (963 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Amazing. I must be dreaming and in Belgium...this is so classically inspired by a strong Belgian golden ale/saison, it's scary. Sparkling golden hue with white foamy head that sticks. Tons of natural carbonation. Grassy, hoppy, sweet malts, barnyard yeast-y funk notes and fruity aroma. Simply amazing!

Smooth, sweet, spicy and complex flavors assault the tongue, with estery notes, ginger, and a slight hint of banana as well. It's hard to say just how this beer can display so many things at once, but it pulls it off admirably. Alcohol is well hidden, but slight warming is there at the end. This could pass for Duvel anyday of the week. What an astounding brewing acheivement! Cheers to Ommegang for this masterpiece! (724 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang