Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,543
4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Presentation: Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a Duvel tulip. I see no dates on the bottle.

A: Pours a beautiful opaque orange color with 3 fingers of head that recedes very slowly. This beer laces REALLY well on my glass, and the yeasty floaters are a welcome addition without overcrowding the glass.

S: Smells of pears, sour apple but mildly so, yeast is present. I love the smell of this beer. One of my favorites for sure.

T: The pear and sour apple are present, but not really sour from a taste perspective as much as it is in the smell. The yeast really comes through here, but not bready and heavy like many belgian-style beers. It's clean tasting, and reminds me occasionally of a hefeweizen style without as much of the banana and clove flavors. They are still present though.

M: Creamy, bubbly, and coats my mouth almost as well as any beer out there.

D: Off the charts for me. I drank a full 750ml of this last night without batting an eye, and probably could down 2 of the bombers in a night. Never tastes bitter, too sweet, or too hoppy. Everything is balanced for me.

Overall one of my favorite beers. I often forget to buy it, but should because it's 60-80% of the cost of most Belgians I like just as much. Highly recommend this one if you've never had it. This beer would be good for ANYONE who likes beer in even the slightest respect. (1,368 characters)

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip May,18,2011

A cloudy golden yellow with a very faint green tint at the edges, to say this beer retains well would be an understatement, the head actually grows for a while due to the ridiculous amount of bubbles forming an island of foam on top of the soapy foam base. The bubbles look like driving through a heavy snow storm with your high beams on. Chunks of foam and partial tunnels(not rings) of lace cake my glass right to the bottom and even the bottom of my glass still has an inch of head. Perfect!!

S lemon, rind included, dry cereal, lots of peppery spice, faint funk and even fainter bubble gum

T the bubble gum has now been chewed and I pick up on some tropical fruits both citric and banana, some yeast I couldn't smell, and just a touch of booze along with everything I smell

M light and very fluffy, not turning to foam in your mouth but heavily carbonated in a manner that's on the edge of being too much but its just keep in check. Big length on the finish and bitter enough to please me

O I know the Saison is a loose style but this beer has all the things I personally look for, refreshing, light, a little booze but well concealed considering, funky yeast and something to set its self apart from every other farmhouse ale, in this case zero fluctuation's from how I view the perfect Saison.

even with a 750ml bottle I found myself smelling an empty glass before this review was typed. This one went down very fast and every sip left me wanting more and before I knew it there was no more to be had. Big Thanks to liamt07 for sending me this beauty,it's not every day I throw down an "A+" and this one deserves it. (1,691 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

To put it simple Ommegang is one hell of a brewery! This nectar pours a cloudy golden color with a slight head and good lace along the glass. The scent is somewhat of a fruity one but not overly sweet like some Belgians. The taste is perfectly balanced more toward the malty side IMO. And it sits well on the palate, this beer is very drinkable for anyone. I think this is the one i would choose for the uneducated beer drinker to start with, it won't scare them off, and we BA can enjoy it also. I didn't think they could beat Ommegan but I think I loke this one better. I look forward to trying the other beers from this brewery when I can get my hands on them........CHEERS (682 characters)

Photo of
4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a glass from the bottle. Brilliant cloudy straw colour with fine bubbles and a good 5 cm of fluffy head that gradually shrunk, but never fully disappeared.

Champagne-like aroma of yeasty fruit with sour undertones.

Crisp on the palate with some residual sugar. Subtle notes of crisp sour apples with a yeasty, mineral (chalky, but pleasantly) aftertaste, and lingering notes of apple peel. Well balanced between rich and refreshing

Fine carbonation tempers the rich, creamy texture for a perfectly balanced mouthfeel. (533 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into the ommegang glass

A-Very cloudy with a big white fluffy head, suprisingly it doesnt lace down the glass a whole lot.

S-Spices galore, notes of clove and corriander most noteable but many others are lighter notes. Also a good alcohol burn in the nose.

T-Spicy and sweet the flavor of this beer is so complex and good. The amount of flavors in this beer are asounding, spicy and grassy hops in the front and middle with a mild near tropical citrus flavor in the finish.

M-Light and crisp and just as the rest of the beer extremly complex. Very smooth and well carbonated

D-I'll have this one again its nice to be able to get hold of this more frequent now that I can't get Saison brett from boulevard. (733 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ommegang Hennepin - 1 Pint 9.4oz - Bomber

Look - Resembles a sparkling champagne, golden and lightly carbonated. Full, foamy head.

Smell - Hops and citrus, can definitely smell the coriander and ginger and hops.

Taste - Refreshing and tart with citrus overtones.

Mouthfeel - Very drinkable, another stomach warmer, another one that's hard to tell it is such high alcohol content, which is a good thing.

Overall - Amazing brew, seems like a Summer beer but it was hearty enough to also enjoy in the Winter. Another solid brew from Ommegang! (544 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another hit from ommegang!
they literally know how to hit a "home run" with beer!
My dad went straight there from bhof ..I can see why now.

A-straw like golden with a huge foamy head resembling shaving cream.

S-yeast,cloves,spices,bread...slight funk

T-citrus ,clove,spicy very crisp and well balanced.

M- highly carbonated ,no real funk after tones,dryness..very nice.
I easily downed one in about 2 minutes.

O- this is a uniquely presented brew. although its not a traditional abv or representation of the styles,it is very drinkable and refreshingly smooth.
I always keep this beer in my rotation.
another great thing about this saison is that it seems to age better on shelves.
other saisons have floaties in them sometimes..

purchased at total wine in naples ,florida for 9.99$ for the 4 pk. (806 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Served from a corked 750 ml bottle it appears a golden hue with a vibrant white head leaving trickled lace a picture perfect Belgium style ale. Aroma has some of those farm house ale characteristics of spices and yeast notes very nice along with huge tones of malt sweetness, underlying honey notes and the phenols are also producing the fruit tones characteristic of any fine Belgium ale. So, far simply amazing I love it. Taste light trickled malt, this is the perfect combination of sweetness, light hops, and exotic spices and full rich tones with a nice finish of alcohol on the palate. The mouthfeel has the consistency of a light syrup highly carbonated just full enough to coat the palate and tickle the senses. Drinkability is just wow, I could treat this like a session beer until I tried to stand up. Really too drinkable and desireable to approach too often save it as a treat. Best thing about it is the reasonable price for such a great beer, classic! (965 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A two finger white fluffy head emerges and fades reluctantly to a thin layer. Lacing is very apparent.

The aroma is peppery, some fresh banana, and a bit of medicinal alcohol in the background.

The foremost taste for me is that of cloves and bananas. A bit sour and a slight, but pleasant hoppy presence. Finishes rather dry with a bitter lemon-like aftertaste.

Quite highly carbonated and light bodied in the mouth, pleasant however.

This is my first time experiencing both this beer and this style. I found it to be highly drinkable and look forward to drinking this and other saisons in the future. (670 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

This 11.2 ounce bottle pours at a wonderful 48 degrees into my goblet. It is the color of straw and blonde with a slight hazy. A wonderful finger and half head appears and lingers across the top of the liquid for the entire glass! What a wonderful experience to watch.

The aroma is fruity and floral. Delightful.

The taste is an experience for the entire tongue. I will need to sample this one again to get a better handle on exactly what is going on here. No biting hoppiness -- good so far as I'm concerned. There is a back of the tongue sweetness, fruity on the sides, and light carbonation rounding out the entire package. Superb.

At a low ABV of 7.5% for my cellar, this beer has high drinkablility without losing my "speech center." (he he, ddarden)

This delicious brew will be a staple of my collection! (822 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

750 mL brown bottle purchased at Chesapeake Wine Company in Canton for $5. Chilled on ice for a half hour, and enjoyed during a winning softball game.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass. Big, thick, frothy white head. Great retention. Lacing throughout. Color reminded me of liquid caramel. Lots of carbonation.

Smell: Big yeast smell right off the bat, kept reminding me of the smell of the Baltimore Brewing Company on brewing day... Followed by banana, grapefruit, and spices.

Taste: Tingly carbonation. The caramel color didn’t disappoint when the flavors come rushing in. This baby has thick malty flavors; nice and sweet mix. Some pepper and very faint hops on the back end. This is a very crisp and enjoyable beer. A slight warmth is felt in the mouth after the first swig or two.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Oooh very so. Hennepin has a very heavy mouthfeel with the malty flavors sticking around for a very long time afterward. Although this isn’t a beer that I would pound, or have every day, it is very drinkable and worth many more samples.

I’ve always felt that saison beers were more of a late summer/fall beer. That spicy mix is usually for the cooler weather. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Hennepin worked well in the sun and the warmth. That creamy smoothness is very enjoyable, even when sampled in-between innings. (1,364 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Poured cloudy gold. Head did not last long and was about half a fingers worth.

S: bouquet of fruit but my hairy nose could not differential between bannana and orange.

T: Tangy but sweet undertones with several aftertastes where the fruit becomes more noticeable.

M: Heavier than i expected but glad nonetheless.

D: Very easy on the pallet and the ABV is not noticable to this quafer. (391 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Pours a cloudy sunshine yellow into my DFH signature glass. A three finger bright white head seems to have 7 little layers of bright and darker foam when held to the light... really cool!!! It collapses upon itself like a volcano that gave out leaving sticky, foamy lacing all around the glass. Insane carbonation, but part of that is the glass itself.

S- Fresh cut pear, tart apples, caraway seed, star anise, coriander, Lemongrass, and some black pepper spiciness. Nice nose of torn wheat, hints of banana and Belgian yeast. This is so deep and delicious!

T- Nice yeastiness, pepper and lemon. I wouldn't describe this as funky, but the lively yeast, banana, lemongrass, and pepper really make your tongue stand at attention. Really light, flavorful and crisp. Spicy caraway rye bread tones mixed with a squeeze of lemon.

M- Bursting with spicy carbonation and tart citrus! Nice little bit of alcohol, sweet wheat, and a tinge of funk. I've had this many times, and still love it and am amazed by how well done it is.

O- It really doesn't get much better than this in it's style, or any other! I am in love with this beer, always have been. Light, refreshing, fruity, tart, bready, spicy... It's hard to believe that this is brewed only about an hour and a half away from me, and not half a world away! Take a bow Ommegang... you deserve it. (1,352 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap in a Hennepin tulip at the KC saucer.

A: pours a cloudy white straw color with ample head.
S: smells wonderful.. spicy corriander with a hint of alcohol.
T: a bit of hops up-front with some (unexpected) banana in the middle. Slight alcohol at the end and corriander throughout. I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Delicious.
M: lots of carbonation, but feels a bit.. full and flat on the tongue. Carbonation is apparent in the back of the mouth.
D: I can kick this back like it's water.. but it is so good I choose not to.

Random: I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Definitely more delicious as it warms. (632 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Split a bottle with Kathleen and Golden2wenty1.

Appearance: Hazy golden amber, pours a big head and thick suds. Low viscosity. Impressive under light--reminiscent of La Chouffe.

Aroma: Golden raisins, treacle, a little breadiness. Lemon, orange, and honey development and the faintest hints of spice and pine. Very rich nose, and very pleasant.

Taste: Ginger, lemongrass, honey and lemon zest--good bready foundations. Some grassy notes and a little cloves. Banana and apricot developments. Some pepper and a splash of pine in the finish. The flavors in here are certainly equal to LaChouffe, which this beer constantly reminds me of.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. Nice hops finish. Smooth with low carbonation.

Drinkability: Great--what a treat to have had this on the same night as the Fantome Strange Ghost. At the price, this might be one of the best belgians--in fact, just one of the best beers period--available. Fruity, refreshing, fantastic. (963 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Amazing. I must be dreaming and in Belgium...this is so classically inspired by a strong Belgian golden ale/saison, it's scary. Sparkling golden hue with white foamy head that sticks. Tons of natural carbonation. Grassy, hoppy, sweet malts, barnyard yeast-y funk notes and fruity aroma. Simply amazing!

Smooth, sweet, spicy and complex flavors assault the tongue, with estery notes, ginger, and a slight hint of banana as well. It's hard to say just how this beer can display so many things at once, but it pulls it off admirably. Alcohol is well hidden, but slight warming is there at the end. This could pass for Duvel anyday of the week. What an astounding brewing acheivement! Cheers to Ommegang for this masterpiece! (724 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours hazy light straw with a lively 2 inch head. Dry citrus and yeast with a bit of earthy spice. Carbonation really crackles across the tongue and mouth and drinkability for me is quite high. This was one of the first saisons I ever had and is my fall-back saison when availability or wallet contents is an issue. (315 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Big ole 750 mL caged & corked Hennepin Saison poured out with suspended "beer on lees" particles floating around the glass. This is a beautiful looking pour with just enough head and appetizing color.

Overly ripe bananas, and bready doughy scents meeting with cloves and yeasty aroma and flavors. There is actually some open meadow character to this, resembling a true belgian.

Just an overall great OMMEGANG beer. Extremely enjoyable on all counts. Thanks to shapudding for the offering. I need to get my hands on my own bottle. (535 characters)

Super Summer Beer!

Beer is very light in color with a super head. Is it what you want to see in front of a fire. Nope, but it is exactly what you want to see in a beer garden.

The Smell is light. Doesn't smack you in the nose. But if you get close enough the fragrance is worth it. Wonderful smell. Wish there was more of it.

The taste is perfect. Light lemony citrus with subtle sweetness. Nothing overbearing.

Light and crisp to the mouth. You could could potentially drink it after a workout. :) But why do that???

Overall I say what a wonderful beer! Cheers! (568 characters)

Served at 53 degrees

Pouring this beer into a snifter produced a thick, tight head that complemented the hazy gold color of the Saison. Aroma was quite pleasant and familiar. The beer enveloped my mouth upon the first sip as bitter hop and spicy Belgian notes faded into a delicate fruit which lingered but a moment. Despite its 7% level only the slightest suggestion of alcohol mostly via warmth. This beer proved immensely drinkable. (438 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer poured a cloudy golden, lot's of bubbles and a thick frothy head that held good retention actually billowed like cloud puffs all the way through!

smell:complex citrusy odor, slightly musky

taste:Fruity, citrusy, complex taste, earthy as well, just beautiful is all I can say, tastes very akin to a Duvel! which is a high honor indeed! and at half the price, has got to be one of the best bargains around!

mouthfeel: is tangy, light and crisp

Drinkability: Are you kiddin me??? FANTASTIC!!! One of the best beers I've tried! fugeddaboutit!!!! (563 characters)

750cl bottle -> chalice

A - Hazy yellow golden brew spreads its way into the chalice creating a beautiful pillowing of ivory head.

S - Spicy! Cloves, citrus, tart, honey...mmmm my mouth waits in excitement.

T - Hazzah! Citrus flavor mixed with a fall spices. Grapefruit and cloves dance their delicous dance across my tongue. Crisp and nice yeast and pepperly finish.

M - Light and crisp...saisons are some of my favorite summer drinks and I remember why.

D - Yessir may I have another? So so delicious and easy to drink. Polished off a bottle with a buddy halfway through "Rescue Me"..so shucks I had to open another. Try this out...especially if you already like Saisons. (691 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: Very clear straw yellow with a billowy white head, soapy and rocky, lots of bubbles floating up the glass.

Smell: Very aromatic, a little yeasty sweetness, citrus, faint spicy alcohol, a little floral, real complex smell.

Taste: A very spicy tartness with alcohol in the nose, cloves and pepper, the flavors linger and then end with a very dry finish. Suggestions of lime, anise, rosemary, oregano? I'm trying to place some flavors, but this has so much going on.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, carbonation is bubbly, body is medium and slick, finish is very dry, leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: A very cool beverage regardless of style, refreshing like a lager but as complex as any. Very easy to drink and a cool complex saison. (758 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Tasted on 7/22/04 from 12oz bottle.

Appearance: Pale gold and slightly hazy, poured with a half inch head that slipped down to more thana little sticky lacing.

Smell: A riot of aromas, sweet and tart. Candied orange, apricot, wildflower honey, yeast, banana, spice.

Taste: Yeasy right up front, malty underplay, with touches of peach and spice. A whisper of floral hops on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Delicate carbonation, light to medium body, crisp on the finish.

Drinkability: Nigh unto perfection. Righteous! (522 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

2004 vintage Hennepin. Got damn.

This beer tastes like typical Hennepin. It really doesn't taste much different than fresher batches I have tasted in the past. It is still extremely drinkable and lighter, something I have come to expect from this beer. It's kind of cool to see how this beer compares to a newer vintage. On second thought, the beer has gained more of a champagne-y taste, a very delicate balance of sweetness, bubbles, and a little dryness. Very cool. Glad my neighbor had the patience to age this one. (520 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang