Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,550
3.06/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared with the wife last night on a scorching hot day.

Pours golden yellow, retained a pretty good head. Someone please tell me this beer doesn't look like a urine specimen?

Smell is a bit off-putting, a little bit too yeasty for me. It's not terribly different from the smell of baseball stadium beer, and that's not a good thing.

The taste is somewhat floral, with hints of citrus and breakfast spices in there. Not bad, certainly easy to drink, but also somehow a little bit thin and watery. I know this is not supposed to be a big beer, but there could have been more here.

Quite fizzy in the mouth, but saison's are pretty fizzy. Mission accomplished on Ommegang's part, I guess.

Certainly, this is not bad, but I'm evidently not part of the adoring crowd this beer has. Frankly, I gotta be honest, compared to the "best of the worst" of the macro-brews, stuff like Leinie's, Rolling Rock, I cannot say that Hennepin is better than those beers by an order of magnitude. (980 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

750ml bottle split into two really big snifters. I left the yeasty sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

So, it looks pretty clear, straw yellow, with a very robust head and lots of active lacing. Cork made a nice pop, too. Smell is spicy and somehow unpleasant. It makes me think of cheap lagers. Kinda yeasty.

Taste is a bit funky, kinda spicy. Very yeasty, even though I left the sediment behind. I can't taste much else, in fact.

Mouthfeel is a little dry and chalky. Overall, this seems OK to me. Maybe I didn't get the best bottle; it was on clearance. (561 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

I'm bewildered by the super-high ratings for this beer. Malty, finishes sweet, closer to a dunkel than a saison. Color is a lot darker and quite clear compared to other saisons. Pilsner malt flavor with other malt aromas I can't place, but not dry, tart, or refreshing. Where are the phenols and character>?Long lasting head and lace. I won't finish a glass. (361 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

I've had this beer a few times in the past years, but now that I sit down to review it, it disappoints.

Perhaps I've opened a poorly stored bottle.

A- Like a lager, bright yellow. Lots of mousse that effervesces like mad, settling into a thin top layer in my thin goblet.

S- The most apealing aspect of this beer is the aroma. Spicy with a note of citrus.

T - I can't get away from the rather unpleasant bitterness that overwhelms the palate. Not a pleasant bite, not balanced by anything else in the ale. Perhaps I am just not in tune with the hops used in this ale.

M - Light with an active fizz.

D - Due to the persistent bitterness, I wouldn't say this is an enjoyable ale/ (684 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -25.6%

Was happy to find that 750ml bottle in a super-market in Kansas, after hearing so much about this one.

Very cool, light (alcohol not felt), fun drink. probably goes great with light taste food.
Overall though was bit disappointed. expectations were too high

A - nice. pale gold. head appears only if not tilting the glass. nice wheat-bear like cloudiness, though not solid enough.

S - disappointment. simple lemon smell, like a low class wheat-beer that someone squeezed some lemon it.

T - cool, fun, light. Gently sower, hints of spices.

M - real nice. Very drinkable, alcohol not felt. crisp and bit dry.

nice. JUST nice (629 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a fine white mousse head. Aroma is of clover honey and white pepper. Taste is fruity and wet stone. Mouthfeel has a decent body. As this is a farmhouse ale, I paired this with a French Altantique cheese and a rustic baguette -- magnificent! (267 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on tap at the Taphouse in Bellevue. Perhaps this pour wasn't quite right in some way, as my experience differs from that of other reviewers.

Pour was a very light, cloudy straw yellow with an insubstantial white head and little lacing. Aroma was light and zesty, and perhaps the best part of this ale - lemon, white pepper, and sourdough bread.

Taste was light and watery, notes of citrus fruit and spices - cardamom, clove, pepper along with a sour yeast flavor. A metallic tin flavor leaves an unpleasant aftertaste. This ale lacks substance: almost no carbonation, very light, oily on the tongue. More substance and more carbonation would go a long way toward saving this ale, as long as the tin flavor could be vanquished. (736 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

This is my first saison.

A - very, very light yellow color. This is probably the lightest beer I have ever seen. I had to stop after about 8 oz because the glass was going to overflow from the carbonation. Ten minutes later, I was able to finish the pour. The head was whitish and around 4cm tall. It was very lumpy also

S - fruit, yeast, some spices, definitely cloves.

T - this beer has absolutely no malt flavor to it (to me, at least), it is not the least bit sweet. very, very dry with a slight fruitiness. cloves are noticeable as are other spices. Very dry finish, not bitter, just dry. I guess that's what this type of beer is supposed to taste like, but I'm not really sure.

M - it was very thin, but I'm guessing that's normal for the style. It had a lot of carbonation too.

D - I didn't like it's dryness.

Note: I didn't like this beer at all. However, it's somewhat highly rated because it does exhibit the characteristics that the style description lists. Once i get more experience with Saisons, I may edit this review to better reflect that rating of its characteristics. (1,127 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

I think I can, I think I can. Like this style. Me drinking this beer is like teaching physics to monkeys. Cute but hard to understand.

Pours a light goldent honey, some head. lacing on the side.

Smells of banana? Flowery.

Peppery taste, Pear taste, sweetness. Floral?

Sweet aftertaste, not as acidic as the other Saison I had.

Still would love it on a hot summers day. I will keep on keepin on. (401 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -24.4%

My brother bought me a 1 pint 9 oz bottle of Ommegang Hennepin and I decided to pop the cork after a couple weeks of staring at it in the fridge.

Appearance - it really looked like i was pouring a glass of bud light. it was a light yellowish gold color with a good amount of head. it even smelled like bud light or something you would find in the dixie cups of a beer pong playing college student.

Smell - again, it really smelled like a light beer, perhaps bud or maybe even coors or miller, they're all the same to me.

Taste - after lifting the glass and actually sampling this beer, it did, in fact, taste a lot like bud light. However, there wasn't such a harsh or bitter aftertaste. The aftertaste was similar to Heineken or some other hoppy lager. I did not enjoy the bubbly carbonated light beer taste, but the sweet aftertaste was a relief.

Mouthfeel - It was extraordinarily easy to drink. I could chug this for days without my eyes watering. The carbonation was a little much, and I would have liked it to be a little heavier.

Drinkability - again, very much like a light beer. While I enjoyed drinking it, I was let down by my expectations, come on Ommegange, you can do better. (1,199 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Beer No. 57 – Ommegang Hennepin

I keep a bit of everything in the house because you never know when a summer craving will come a little early.

STYLE: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

ABV: 7.7%

LOOK: Less than yellow, refreshing. Ideal one-finger head that doesn’t resist a subtle sip.

NOSE: It won’t shine here. And that’s OK because that rather misses the point. Loafy and dry.

MOUTH: White pepper, nonfat butter, bitter salad greens. It’s not – memorable. On the front, too much rind and not enough zest. On the back, a quiet lagerish coat.

Beeradvocate Rating: 93

ratebeer Rating: 97

Hayward Abbey Rating: 83 (622 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

A plastic cup at Fall for Greenville (THink taste of ....)

A: Golden, with a thick head. Once again, I don't think I got the best pour from the festival worker in the Ommegang tent.

S: Citrus with some hits of pear or other similar fruit.

T. Just as it smelled, but at times almost a nectarine like taste. A surprising spicy bite to it.

M: Very light; some decent carbonation.

D: Drinkable to me at least as a sipper. This was my third beer of the festival, and noticed it took me much longer to get through this beer than the other two. I'll likely try this again in a more standard sitting and see how that goes. (623 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

I must have gotten a bad 4-pack because this was really alcoholic smelling and tasting. Didn't have any of the subtlety I remember (tho' I must confess it's probably been a few years since I've had this beer). Boozy! And so overcarbed it was impossible to pour well... (268 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Goose Island IPA tulip glass.

The beer was about midway between dark straw and light gold. The beer was very cloudy with a big, white head. Moderate lacing was left along the glass.

The aroma included some breadiness, and both earthy and spicy pepper-like scents. The taste was bready and spicy. The spices being pepper and clove. I also taste some subtle fruit pear-like flavor. There is a strong bitterness on the swallow made up of both a hop and carbonic bite.

The mouthfeel is light with very high carbonation. This is a fairly drinkable beer, but the high carbonation level would prevent too much imbibing. (649 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

pours a very light filtered pale yellow with several fingers of head.

smell is sour and fruit with light malts and almost no hops.

taste is certainly unique...i just don't find it to be in a good way. light and sour with no hops.

mouth is light with good carbonation.

very bland and boring for me and just does not taste very good. (335 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 corked-and-caged bottle split with the girlfriend between 2 Chimay goblets. Bottle date is 12/17/09

A - Hazy golden-straw with a thick, luscious head of creamy white foam. Phenomenal lacing and retention.

S - Banana, clove, lemon zest, biscuits and yeast.

T - Banana dominates again with some yeast and lemon in there. Really getting a bitter spiciness towards the end that a) I can't really place and b) I'm not enjoying too much. Not sure what to make of this, I had such high hopes...

M - Slick with a medium body and high carbonation.

D - I generally like saisons so I feel I could drink this pretty easily. However, I don't know if I got a bad bottle or something, but the bitterness is really overpowering and unpleasant. I'll have to re-visit, I know this can be better then this. (796 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -23%

I was looking forward to trying this beer, and came away unimpressed. I had a 750ml bottle, started cold, let the bottle sit at room temperature before pouring again. It was a cloudy yellow appearance with a very minimal head and no lace to speak of. It had a nice tart fruit odor to it, and a nondescript fruity taste, with some slight hoppiness. It felt just OK in the mouth. Was good to drink, but not exciting. I'll have to try it again to see if it was me or that particular bottle that wasn't working well. (512 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

Bottled on 31 March 2011. Tasted 23 September 2011, reviewed from notes.

Pours a really nice golden yellow. Mostly clear, with a light haze. Big fluffy white head that sticks around for a long time. Some spotty lace, not much. It's one of those beers that you pour and it just goes "poof!" Bright color, glowing, topped by a huge gob of white foam.

Smell is dominated by Belgian yeast. A little bit of faint musty barnyard funk. Lots of spice, especially clove, with a little banana, and some slightly sharper spice. I like it. To me, it smells more like a Belgian golden than a saison. But it's good.

Taste starts out slightly sweet, musty, malty, with that light earthy flavor characteristic of saisons. All those layers, just like it should be. But then a huge dose of hops spoils it all, bringing a tingly bite that doesn't feel right to me for this style. Finishes pretty bitter - not what I was looking for. My feeling is that they were trying to make a hopped-up saison, and it didn't really work out. It detracts from the beer by overshadowing all that subtle complexity with pure bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, high carbonation. Fizzy and tingly. Quite good, but I would appreciate it more if it weren't reviving flavors I don't want.

Over-hopped, especially for a saison. I don't pick up the hop character in the smell, but it's quite obvious in the taste, and its effects are largely negative. That's really too bad, as what's there underneath that bitterness is quite solid. (1,500 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

A clear golden body with lots of carbonation bubbles flying around.

Smell has some hop character and lots of yeast character. Heavy notes of spices.

Taste has some sweetness that is fruity, sugary and a little malty. The body of the flavor comes from yeast; it is peppery, white peppery, slightly medicinal. It seems that there is some added spice also. Some hop character can also be detected in there.

A very crisp, carbonated mouthfeel, but probably a little more body than the best belgians..

Pretty drinkable here, but tastes overly spiced, whether it was or not. (573 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours golden into glass. Nice head, good retention. Nice yeasty esthers on the nose. Taste is marred by high alcohol content - not very balanced. Good carbonation - fit for style. Overall drinkability flawed by lingering alcohol flavor on finish. Not bad - but not balanced enough to be great. (293 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22%

Shared of bottle of this one @ Bishops Arms - Karlstad with my good friend Ljunkan. The second beer I've tried from Ommegang, but I'm not very impressed by this one.

The bottle looks pretty mediocre, but the beer in the glass looks pretty nice though, hazy yellow with a large white foam.

Smells nicely of some sorts of spices, citrus fruits and some nice hoppiness. Smell is really nice!

Taste is slightly sour with lots of spiciness and some citrusfruits. Fells quite mediocre in the taste though, but still good.

All and all, a pretty good beer, but I don't think I want to try it again. There are beers in this style that are so much better. (650 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22%

750 ml bottle poured into my tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a light brown with a hint of orange hue to it. Translucent but hazy. Nice head. Highly carbonated.

Smell: Very sweet malty smell with lots of citrus and surprisingly yeasty and bready.

Taste: Sweet malts, bread, a bit too much yeastyness (for me), citrus, and bit of wheat. Very good. Not my favorite flavor for a Saison, but still a good beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied highly carbonated beer. Crisp finish feels refreshing.

Drinkability: Though Saison may not be my favorite style and this is not my favorite Saison it is still very drinkable and a 'classy' beer that is good to impress with. It is quite drinkable and worthy of a justifiable occasion from time to time.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (785 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 375ml/11oz bottle into a pint glass. Be careful pouring as I ended up with a 'beer floater' head.
Appearance was classic off yellow. The oversized head lasted for most of the drink.
First impression was of spice and this was confirmed on first taste.
I detected coriander and bouquet definitely opened as the beer warmed up in the glass.
The spice on the pallet clearly overrode the typical saison funk and really become pronounced on the back pallet towards the end of the beer.
Overall, being one of the first saisons I have critiqued I found it pretty good. If anything a little too spicy for my liking. (618 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -21.8%

this one had an alcohol -almost wine smell to it. it poured with a slight haze to it, a nice white rocky head to it disappearing after a few sips. the taste was mildly tart with a hint of citrus, also a very nice dry aftertaste
Very nice taste goes well with a good meal!! (274 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

This pours a dishwater grey/yellow, kind of cloudy, with a huge head of big time bubbles and plenty of lacing. The smell is very floral-biscuit but there is a sort of caustic overtone, something medicinal, of alcohol perhaps. The mouth finds a peppery introduction, very nicely carbonated and active, but the major flavor I detect is one of licorice. Bitter but very smooth and full bodied. Yeast presence is there but I can't get past this anisette quality that isn't really my favorite, and it aggressively overwhelms the taste buds right to the back of your throat. Quite dry but generally refreshing. I don't pick up hops or malt. It is something different and definitely a quality brew but this, like many other Belgian styles I've tried thus far, isn't right up my alley. Recommended for a try, this might be really special to the right palette. (851 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang