Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

corked and caged 750ml that my roommate got for Xmas and was not keen on trying. Thanks, Matt! You da man!

A- Carefully poured, as this has settled for about 10 months in the fridge. A huge fluffy head that fizzes down, beer is pale pale yellow.

S- Fruity, bready, nice floral notes (lilac).

T- Same as the nose, but with a lot of medicinal notes too. The inside of a pill bottle. Not my favorite. Cloves creep in and cloud out the floral/perfumey sweetness that I like.

M- Body is a bit thin, the finish is pretty clean, nix the medicinal notes and let's talk.

D- Moderate- Easy enough to drink but just not in my wheelhouse. A good beer but not for me. So it goes.

10-06-2010 22:20:13 | More by ShogoKawada
SilentSabre

North Dakota

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Heard so much about this beer and having been a BA for nearly four years, I cannot believe I am only now trying it for the first time.
The 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass a cloudy yellow orange colour with a snow white head probably three inches thick. Looks nice. Smell was good, but rather off for the style, I thought. Smell was more akin to a tripel than a farmhouse saison. The damp, musty, basement smell present in nearly every saison I have ever had is totally abscent in this one. Taste, too was far from a saison, IMO. Also, likely the worst thing about this is the detectable level of alcohol. To me, a farmhouse saison should be smooth and easy drinking, smell like a mouldy, damp basement, and have a rather pronounced tartness. This is bereft of any of the afore mentioned traits, and again, if I were just given this to drink, not knowing what it was, I'd probably enjoy it and exlaim, "I've had better tripels, but this one's not bad.." I don't know guys, for all the hype surrounding this one, I must admit, I'm quite dis-pleased with it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

07-27-2007 00:49:28 | More by SilentSabre
claspada

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Aromas are a bunch of upfront floral and spicy notes with pungent citrus. Dry pilsner bready biscuity malts are also detectable. Belgiany yeast is fairly apparent as well.

The taste is fairly aggressive for a saison (or at least what I prefer in my saisons). All kinds of things happening here. Alcohol isn't midden all that well and the esters aren't in balance with the hops, really sharp finish as well; really not a fan. Thick, yet extremely bubbly mouthfeel; carbonation is apparent for sure.

This is a real aggressive saison. I can tell it's extremely well-made, as Ommegang doesn't mess around when it comes to making good Belgian beer. I was a little put off by the rather strong alcoholic character, but perhaps that's how it should be. I admire the complexity and adventurous quality.

11-17-2010 19:22:08 | More by claspada
assurbanipaul

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew.

05-28-2003 21:53:10 | More by assurbanipaul

od_sf

11-05-2012 22:12:35 | More by od_sf
grannaniwa

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

12 oz bottle. Smells kind of like a hefeweisen to me. I think I smell lemon, but I can’t tell whether this is just because so many beers get served with a lemon slice in the US. Nose is a little richer second time around, a little earthier and more cloves.

Taste is a little flatter than I expected. Not that bright, falls more on the bitter side. Carbonation is out-of-control. Makes it hard to swirl around and get the full experience! One of the flavors in the aftertaste reminds me of a flat domestic lager. Little bit of tang on the tongue after a swallow. Tastes like it is high alcohol, and it turns out to be significantly high!

Overall: B-, not a big fan

02-18-2012 01:13:42 | More by grannaniwa
rderedin

Maine

05-09-2014 17:51:46 | More by rderedin
Farnswurth

06-27-2013 23:45:12 | More by Farnswurth
barleywineman

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

This beer is full of funk and bubble gum, yeasty, doughy, a little too sour for a saison. definately farmy! but it may be better with food not an easy brew to drink alone unless you want half 3 philosophers and half duvel in the same glass :( sorry hut dissapointed. Tastes better with Food

06-14-2009 23:49:19 | More by barleywineman
t8000shx

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Was pumped to give this one a go, I generally like Ommegang. Poured nice, tons of bubbles, tall head. Caught me off guard, required a more delicate pour than even most other belgians to moderate head size. Nice hazy gold/yellow color in the glass, appealing looking. Smelled like the real deal, very authentick belgian.

It was only once the beer left the glass and found its way onto my tongue that disappointment set in. Admittedly, for my first sip the beer was way too cold, so i let it sit for some time. Unfortunately i don't like how it opened up. Tart, bubbly, mildly sweet, citrusy, and earthy. It all sounds nice, except the tartness was too strong. Resulted in an extremely unbalanced flavor. Not to say the beer was terrible, it wasn't, however it could use significantly more strength from the earthy/malty notes. Tartness and acidity need to be toned down a bit. Noting the beer's high rating, it looks like i'm in the minority here, but so it goes. I'll stick with the 3 Philosophers next time I hit up Ommegang

03-01-2006 03:17:32 | More by t8000shx
Chico1985

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz to Unibroue tulip, no best by date listed.

Pours a clear golden color with a huge puffy white head, lots of bubbles, highly carbonated it seems. Dusty sediment floats about. Settles at a thick bubbly cap leaving some lacing.

Pale pilsner malts jump from the nose first and foremost. Typical Belgian yeast, some sweet candi sugar, wet grass and lemony hops follow. Just the tiniest hints of funk and hay. The pilsner quality reminds me a little too much of an generic pale Euro lager but the smell really starts to open up nicely after a bit.

Taste has notes of lemon/citrus/grass throughout from the hops, Belgian yeast and some candi sugar. I found the scent to be more enjoyable. Some bready notes in the finish. High alcohol taste dominates (at the finish especially) and is noticeable right from the get-go. Although it does fade over time, it is ever-present giving the beer a bit of a distasteful, soapy medicinal feel. Mouthfeel is not nearly as carbonated as the appearance would hint towards, has a creamy oily feel to it, but the booziness just about kills it.

Kinda reminds me of Duvel in some ways (which makes sense), but I couldn't get into this one much. Feels too boozy and just heavy and uncomfortable when it reaches your guts. Flavors that were present didn't really leave me wanting more.

11-18-2010 01:08:17 | More by Chico1985
cproioi

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured a hazy yellow body with some carbonation present in the body. Has a white head that disipates quickly to form a film across the surface. The beer's aroma consists of Hops, some spices and yeast. The taste follows the aroma fairly well. However, the hops are more apparent in the taste. The beer has a froathy body that leads to a lingering residual sweetness that I don't like about American breweries takes on Belgian Beers. Slight Alcohol present in the warmth.

Can't say I was overly impressed with this beer. I wouldn't get it again.

08-13-2006 23:25:35 | More by cproioi
mwearl

2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured on tap, this beer was pale with very white creamy head with lacing that lasted through the entire glass. Very sweet smell with champagne-like odors. Taste was watery and sweet with white grape tastes and an odd perfume taste at the finish. Mouthfeel was light and dry and little aftertaste. I will say that it is very well balanced with the higher ABV. Drinkability was ok for a hot day beer, but not at the top of my list.

05-28-2007 21:35:05 | More by mwearl
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

Bottled . Not a huge fan of this brewer so far. Yeasty choc/caramel, pretty sweet and a little bit syruppy to be honest, a very flat mouthfeel, with not much interesting happening, definitely on the sweeter side of the scale, i've yet to be won over by this brewer, but this isn't a bad beer though.

10-01-2004 12:24:30 | More by rastaman
MrVonzipper

A fairly cloudy, pale blonde pour. Very nice frothy while head with very good head retention, through the whole beer. Noticeable yeast remnants and carbonation.

Not very much working on the nose, a little plum, light malt

Not a ton going on as far as flavor profile notes as well. Light caramel, plum, light malt. Almost a nutty-pumpkin bread like aftertaste

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Good carbonation smooth most of the way with a little bitterness at the end.

Overall I'm a little confused with this beer. It takes like a blonde bock to me. Flavor notes along with the smell are pretty flat. It's not bad and is a decent spring type beer. But I'm just so confused with what it's trying to achieve cuz it's just so simple. It kind of tastes like it's a homebrewers first attempt at the style.

05-24-2011 05:28:29 | More by MrVonzipper