Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Details- 12oz bottle . Bottle conditioned. Nice blurb about where the name comes from and the proper pouring and storing techniques.

Appearance- Straw gold with bright white head. Some lacing, head is sizeable, but not as big as some saisons.

Smell- Cloves, pale malt, earthy, and slighttly alcoholic in the nose. To me it smells more like a belgian pale ale than a saison, but I suppose that those styles are fairly close in smell anyway.

Taste- Pears, apple, a certain grainyness, sweet pale malt. Fruity yes, but not as fruity as I'd like it to be. Also some earthy tones.

Mouthfeel- Nice carbonation. Light-bodied, long earthy aftertaste.

Drinkability- Fairly easy to drink, but I'm not a huge fan of the beer overall... I mean, it's good, but not as good as others that I've had IMO.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle, served in a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy yellow body with a white soapy two finger head and minimal lacing. This looks tasty.

S- Yummy bananas, clove, and citrus. Of course there is the usual aroma of Belgian yeast, which works really well here.

T- Really, really nice. Reminds me of a good tripel. Orange and lemon come first, with banana and spice following. FInishes a bit boozey, but not intolerable.

M- Light bodied and pretty spot-on with the mouthfeel. Slightly creamy, well-carbonated, and crisp.

O- This one is certainly refreshing and clean. I will be enjoying one or many in the future, as it is easy to consume multiples of these.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Arrived in a tulip glass with about a finger's worth of white head which retained well and left some spotty lacing on the glass. The beer is a golden straw color and hazy. I can see lots of carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass.

S - Dominant aroma is a spicy grassiness with hints of yeast.

T - Complex flavor profile. The background is a slightly sweet barnyard funkiness. On top of that I can pick out layers of peppery spice, lemongrass, and an ever so slight touch of alcohol. The alcohol basically puts a point on the other flavors.

M - Nothing outstanding here. Medium bodied with substantial carbonation, although the carbonation doesn't produce anything like a soda water sensation. Finishes dry and cleaner than I would expect.

O - Definitely a good one, although I have to say that at this point Saison and Tripel are both falling in preference next to Dubbels and Quads. I can certainly appreciate this one, but I may be trending away from the style as a whole.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml corked brown bottle
7.7% abv

Hennepin was yellow-gold in color and hazy. It had a large rocky white head with good retention and lots of lacing. The smell was yeast and spices (clove and pepper). The taste was yeast flavors and spices with clove, pepper, and citrus. It had a long, dry, and slightly bitter finish. It was medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. Drinkability was very good. Hennepin is a good Saison that is crisp, refreshing, and well worth trying out.

So this is the much vaulted Saison -- I don't hate it. I specify that because in the past I have found spiced beers unpalatable, and I had been specifically avoiding this style for that reason. Evidently, when spices are placed the in hands of a master brewer, they don't suck.
This beer pours like Dreadnaught, a hazy straw colour with a generous head. It smells, like a beer. By that I mean, it smells similar to a variety of continental pils, a pleasant smell indeed.
The taste follows the smell. It is simple and subtle. It actually reminds me of a Grolsch; however there is an ethereal taste, something I can't place my finger on. Similar to bubblegum, actually. That's good.
Ohhh, as it warms some more flavours come out. It loses the Grolsch quality and grains a granular flavour. Not bad. Is that corriander? Not sure. I'm not one to pick out spices. But, yeah, this is a good beer.

Oh wow. 7.7% is what it says on the bottle. Well hidden, well hidden indeed.

Makes me actually want to try other Saison-style beers. Maybe Belgium makes something worth consuming other than french fries. . .

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Got a 4 pack at Specs in Round Rock for around 10 bucks.

Poured a cloudy, honey-straw colored gold in my New Belgium goblet...a huge billowy head, great lacing throughout...a very attractive looking beer.

Belgian esters, pepper, lemon...nice crisp scent.
The same Belgian yeast flavors with a tart lemon finish...a bit of bread, caramel, and hops as well...wow...nice combo!

Medium body with generous carbonation...a ton of bubbles in this one...super easy to drink.

Gotta say, this is a pretty damn good beer. A nice change of pace from my typical staple of IPAs and Imp Stouts.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Found Hennepin on draft at a Winking Lizard in Columbus and I couldn't pass it up. I always like to try Belgian and Belgian-style beers I've had in the bottle on draft to compare the flavors. Typically, I find these beers to be rounder (more balanced) and not as complex and flavorful as their bottled counterparts. This particular glass of Hennepin on draft was typical in that regard. I missed some of the rustic character of the brew on draft, but instead was left with a sweeter, less dry wheaty tasting ale, that was nonetheless quite refreshing. This beer was not as visually appeailing as the bottled version and lacked the mousse-like head of its bottled counterpart, although the aroma was still fairly bright with notes of vanilla. A white pepper spicines tended to come out a little more as the beer warmed up. The mouthfeel was very soft, with a little bit more of a bitter finish coming out as the beer warmed up. Perhaps served too cold. This was exceptionally drinkable at the right temperature.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance- Very pale color mostly transparent color. Not much head retention. I'm inclined to think that a beer needs head retention to have the strong aroma that I like but this one defies that rule of thumb. Great aroma and taste from this one that almost looks like your typical garbage BMC.

Smell- At first it I got your typical banana, grass, and funk. As I got a bit further into it I noticed the it wasn'treally banana but some other fruits.

Taste- For the most part follows the nose. Opens up into a nice range of fruits. Lemon, apple, and pear. Nice hop crispness, hay, coriander spice, and funk. Really complex beer for a lighter style.

Mouthfeel- medium light bodied. Enough body to enjoy the range of flavor and just enough hop sharpness to keep it crisp.

Overall- Well done ommegang! This is a must try beer. This will be one of the beers where you have to ask yourself why you hadn't had it before. I wish I could give it a perfect score but I just can't bring myself to do it. The knock on appearance is due to previous standards on what usually makes a good beer. The sharp mouthfeel is most likely necessary to open up the depth in this beer but keeps it from being the beer you can drink all day.

Edit: I've had this beer again many times with a good amount of head. I think there was soapy residue in the glass when I did the review

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Let me let you in on a little secret. I followed up a recommendation from Garret Oliver's "Brewmaster's Table." This beer is an absolutely incredible match for Humboldt Fog cheese, which is an aged goat cheese. Together, they are better than the sum of their parts. I'm trying to be objective with my ratings, trying to rate the beer as it stands on its own. But if I was rating my experience with this cheese and beer together, you would see a 5 for taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability.

As it is this is a great beer. Poured with a nice head. Malty sweet with nice Belgian esters. Mouthfeel is very good. Very good carbonation levels.

Again, I highly recommend that food pairing.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang