Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

YOUR RATING = None |

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,133 | Ratings: 5,827
4.42/5  rDev +6%

a - Light pale yellow, opaque. Frothy two finger head.

s - Fruity, yeasty, some sour notes. No hints of alcohol.

t - One of the more sour beers I've had. Hits you right on the back underside of the tongue. Otherwise a light belgian taste with a sour aftertaste that requires just one more sip. Warming finish but no mouth numbing.

m - Light body but not entirely watery due to some malt action. Very carbonated but it seems to work in this setting.

d - I'm not quite used to the sour, especially sour without a powerful bitter alongside it. It's an energetic little brew. I see myself pouring to the end of this bottle quickly with no complaints. Great masking on its 8.5% ABV - if not for savoring the sour this stuff drinks like a light beer. Ommegang, I continue to enjoy tasting my way through your great beers.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Beautiful hazy golden straw, huge white head that lasts with appropriate lacing.

S - Roses, light citrus, bread, and that indescribable quality of Belgian yeast.

T - Beautiful blend of lemon zest, residual sweetness, and spicy, minty hops. Nice note of cinnamon.

M - Uh, it's perfect. sweet, frothy, and alive, good dry finish.

D - Very drinkable, very refreshing. This beer is gonna make me re-evaluate the style...

4.17/5  rDev 0%

Psyched to get an ultra fresh sample right near the brewery. Poured into my glass with huge head. Big white puffy foam. Lingered on the glass. Great nose of yeast and spice. Beautiful bouquet. Really charges in dry at the end. I like this beer. Way better than the other one I had.

HENNEPIN GOES FOR THE WIN AND HENNEWINS

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

I want to first start by saying WOW !!.... I was told about this beer by a good friend (and NYU graduate) about a year ago, and have been looking for it since.... I finally got my hands on a couple 25 oz. bottles.... It was well worth the wait.

As I pour part of the 25.4 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a massive head of fizziness appears atop a beautiful and hazy yellowish/gold brew.... Though those little fizzy bubbles diminish quickly throughout the drink, they leave plenty of lacing behind.... There's also easily noticeable sediment rising throughout the drink.

I take a whiff, and I immediately get spice like that of cloves.... There's also fruity notes of banana, and delicious notes of bready Belgian yeast.

All the mouth-watering scents of the beer really come out while sipping it.... You feel everything on the palate the whole way through.... At first sip, I think it's definitely spicy.... There's also a lemon citrus taste, as well as fruits like that of apple or pear.... There's a perfect balance of overall flavor with just the right amount of a hoppy taste to it.

The mouthfeel is is the home run to complete the cycle.... Very full-bodied with moderate carbonation that releases all the flavors of the nose and taste, leaving a lingering aftertaste.... There's also a tingly feeling left on the tongue throughout and well after the drink.

Overall, the only thing that needs to be said is "I LOVE THIS BEER !!".... Amazing from first sight in the glass.... It's complex and deep scents to the delicious and complimentary taste and mouthfeel.... This is amongst the most perfectly balanced beers I've ever had.

I felt this beer was a bit overrated. It was tasty but nothing about it really stood out to me. It smells a bit like honey and looks attractive in a glass. It has an interesting mouthfeel with a crisp flavor. There are hints of spice, grain and a tiny bit of hops in a sip. The finish is dry but its light enough to be drinkable. When thinking back on my first experience with this style, I remembered enjoying Dupont more. However, I'd have to try it again to explain what I liked about that brew. Although considering the quality I was surprised to see this was a domestic beer. I have a feeling I need to try more Saisons to see if my bias is against the style rather than the brewery.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

picked up a 4 pak at Moe's Beer City center st. Jupiter, fla

nose - pumpkin pie spice in the background, weiss malt
pours - a tremendous head 6-7" which dissipates quickly with good lacing
appears to be naturally carbonated ,hazy straw colour.

1st taste spices as they said caribe spices hops not noted , light weiss finish

this reminds me of a belgian ale Palm, Heffe and a few others , and leaves monk in my trunks ,blue mooned you ale in the dust

Even tho not a fan of Saison or weiss style beers , it's better than most i have tried so i rate it near 4

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Corked and caged 750, bottled on 9/23/09.

Poured into an Ommegang Tulip. First pour gives me a finger of fluffy head, and a great straw-coloring. Lacing doesnt stick to the glass, but a nice collar sits around the top.

Citrus sweetness dominates early and a mellow hop profile gives you flowery notes without being over the top. Balance makes this beer the absolute treat that it is. Thin body and medium carbonation make this an easy drinker, the mark of a great saison beer.

I would write more, but its a shame to be tapping on my phone while this beer sits in front of me. Do yourself a favor and go drink one of your own. Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - A cloudy copper color with 2 fingers of head

Smell - a tart smell with spices mixed in, a very unique beer

Taste - goodness with a citrus blend

Mouthfeel - very smooth with moderate carbination

Drinkability - very drinkable, Im in love

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a golden orange with a foamy white head which fades to decent lacing. Aroma is of citrus, baked bread, yeast, cloves, some sour fruit, and some earthy funk. Taste is of baked bread, lemon peel, yeast, cloves, sour fruit, black pepper, and some earthy wet hay. Has a medium body with a creamy mouthfeel and a dry, slighty bitter, champagne like finish. Overall, a nice example of a Saison.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into Libby flute. Second pour from bottle. Resealed bottle last night with a fold over, expanding wine stopper. Still great carbonation, smell and taste. Recommend those types of stoppers.
Looks great! Slight hazy, clear gold.
Smells a little sweaty, grassy,funky.
Tastes like it smells. Love this taste. Some bread mixed in, and pear. Slight bitterness.
Great carbonation and very crisp. Bubbles constantly rising.
Will buy again. Loved this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml poured into a snifter.

A - Honey-colored, a bit hazy, has a huge head.

S - Herbal, astringent, reminds me of white wine.

T - Wow! One of the most crisp and refreshing beers I've ever had, especially considering it's approaching 8% ABV. Fairly tart, with tannins and white grapes. I had this by itself, but it would go great with food as well.

M - Well carbonated, a little thin.

D - Ridiculous drinkability, it blows away many beers that are lower in ABV in this area.

One of the best saisons I've had, Hennepin definitely gives Belgians a run for their money! Great value as well.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Had a glass on tap at the Hopleaf Bar in Chicago, servered in a hennepin glass.

Murky golden yellow hue with a rocky white head that lasted quite a long time.

Lots of aromas, lemons,pepper, nuts, grains, and earthy yeasts.

Great flavor, with grains citrus(lemons, pineapple) Hoppy biscuit flavor. Very complex but well balenced. the mouthfeel was very refreshing but sensed the alcohol.

A very fine and drinkable beer. Have one as often as possible.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle at about 55 degrees into a water glass... Hey, I'm on vacation.

An unclear blond with a nice fluffy head which turns into a thin white lace.

Definite saison funkiness. A little sourness, but this is also
pretty sweet. Some Belgian yeast with aromas of grain, but also sweet malts.

The flavor is in line with the smell. A nice malt backbone, doesn't taste as sweet as the smell. Definite yeast with balancing bitterness. Flavors of biscuits, orange peel. Enough sourness for complexity, but not too sour. There's a lot going on in this beer. The flavor sticks with you for a while with this one.

Medium bodied. Nothing terribly exciting on the palate. Very well carbonated.

A definite session beer. I could easily keep going with this. The 7.7 ABV is entirely non-obtrusive, even when served warmer than intended.

A very nice beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz. bottle served in my Samuel Adams "perfect pint glass"

A- very pale and straw-like...slightly cloudy. A big frothy 2 or 3 finger head with excellent retention..throughout the course of drinking this beer the head stayed intact at about a height of 1 and 1/2 fingers...as the beer slowly goes down a nice ring from the head forms around the top of the glass

S- big phenol smell..Belgian yeast is very noticeable....Spicy, hints of pepper

T-big spicy peppery taste..very refreshing..barely any malt back-bone..slight clove taste..clove taste becomes more apparent as the beer warms and if you pour almost the whole beer in the glass..not a fan of a big clove taste in my beer...i do like a subtle clove taste to provide balance..the beer finishes with a lingering spicy taste

M- very smooth and finishes crisp and dry, medium mouthfeel, leaves mouth quite parched

D-very drinkable..light,refreshing, 7.7% alcohol, great for a summer day

O- not too complex..but very refreshing...not a huge fan of the style

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Boulevard Brewery, Kansas City, MO, standard pint glass.

A: Thick and cloudy yellowish with tinges of green. Nice body of color with some nice lacing and head, lots of very small, fine floating bits from the sediment in the glass (not too distracting, thankfully).

S: Very high in citrus and green apple with a hop body. Some alcohol and yeast backbone. A good aroma.

T: Lemon and floral hops, green apple finish with some mild bitterness. Very light malt body. Little bit of light sweetness, not much bite. Rosey finish.

M: Very crisp and clean, nice and drinkable. Fairly strong beer, but doesn't feel like it.

O: Another very good selection from Ommegang, who is currently averaging a wonderfully high rating for me. Probably the most consistent and highest average brewery I've reviewed. Hennepin must be my least favorite beer from them so far, but it is still a very good brew that would be nice to drink on a mild summer afternoon.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

about 40 degree F into a pilsner glass
A- pours with a massive, creamy, billowing head, pale straw.

S- the floral and spicy Saaz can be smelled from a yard away

T- sweet, medium body with notes of apples and grass.

M- exceptionally smooth. Light but certainly not watery

D- a great beer, I see what all the saison fuss is about. A great buy.

3.91/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours fairly opaque, a very appealing peachy yellow. Tons and tons of fluffy white head which keeps growing in my snifter until I actually start drinking. The head never really disappears, leaving a thin cap, and leaves somewhat spotty lacing.

The smell is nice but nothing remarkable, a little bit earthy and woody. Some very mild spice and malts. Sort of disappointing considering the abundant head and the use of a snifter.

Taste is also good, but not great. The earthy oak is at the foreground. A bit of toffee sweet malts, and barely a hint of sour funk as the beer warms. Pleasant overall, a little dry and musty and not as complex as it could be.

Good mouthfeel, the beer is highly carbonated and produces tons of foam, but it doesn't overpower and the carbonation isn't too prickly.

No complaints about drinkability. This goes down easy, but the taste is less than totally impressive so it doesn't compel me to drink another one or two. Good enough that I would probably buy another one for a tasting party or a nice meal though.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

This is an amazing domestic Saison. Yards' brewery Saison should take some hints from this. Ommegang puts out a good product. Poured a slightly cloudy gold with a foamy white head. Hints of malt, not bitter at all. A great domestic brew in the Belgian style. I think I'll go get another bottle now.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

Saisons are an odd beast, sometimes I think I have the style nailed and then something comes along and turns my brain around. When I think saison, I think grassy, slightly bitter, and dry. Hennepin is a bit dry, but is not very bitter and is definitely not grassy. It is still a delicious beer, with some nice fruit undertones and the perfect amount of carbonation. Smell is a bit one dimensional, and the phenol levels are a bit high, but these are merely small imperfections in an otherwise very drinkable beer. I must say this is not my preferred saison, but it does represent a bargain at six dollars a bottle. (This bottle only cost me three, the local bevmo was clearing them out!)

Overall, heartily recommended.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a thick and abundant head and the color was a dark orange/gold, with a slight haze. The mouthfell was medium light, with bouncing carbonation. The aroma was citrusy, fruity with orange and a dash of spice that leans more towards ginger than pepper. The flavor was refreshing up front, sweet with notes of honey and grains. There is really little of any funk that you might expect from a "farmhouse" style. Little spice, aside from what adds sweetness. I do get a little bite from the hops, but not enough to round this out to as rich a beer as it could be. The drinkability is high. I know you shouldn't rate a beer based on what's not there, but I wanted more from this beer than what it gave.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

My dad just bought me a 750ml bottle of this beauty and I decided to take a nice break from studying for finals and do my first review, so here goes...

Appearance: Hazy, golden/straw color. Very pillowy, foamy head aroused quite easily by even the slightest agitation while pouring.

Aroma: Almost pilsner-like. Slight hop aroma is present as well as a nice spicy character. Not getting a whole lot else here.

Taste: Lots of spice/Belgian yeasty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carbonation, but this only enhances the refreshing quality of the ale. Very dry as well.

Notes: This is the first time I had this one... and it's awesome. I love it. Very refreshing and highly drinkable. Although it's typically best to drink in the summer, I could drink this any time of year. I highly recommend it.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Wow, I've never seen a beer with a head like this one. It was easily 4+ fingers tall. It filled 1/2 of my pint glass with a meringue like bright white head. I did not use an aggressive pour because I was trying not to get any trub in my glass. The label says not to be too delicate with the pour so as to "create a luxurious head." I definitely saw that. The meringue like head stayed around for the whole 750 ml bottle. It was easy to refresh the head with each pour. (3 times in total.) The beer color was a cloudy bright yellow. Kind of like if you mixed a BMC & a witbier.

S: Cloves, Cloves, and more Cloves!! As a matter of fact, I grabbed the spice jar of cloves from the cupboard and it smelled exactly like that an almost as intense!

T: Again, cloves and more cloves along with a sweet after taste. I was reminded of those clove spice jelly beans that are common around Easter time. I really like those jelly beans and was surprised to find a beer that tasted like that but in a good way.

M: OK to good I guess. I was so overwhelmed by the surprising flavor it was hard to pay attention to this.

D: I finished the whole 750 ml bottle while making the baked ziti for dinner. I took the last sip with dinner. Next time I think I'll wait to crack this open until after dinner due to the sugary sweetness.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a hazy, golden color with a thick layer of cloudy white head.

S: A nice citrus aroma at first, with notes of tropical fruits, a slight funk is also present

T: A combination of fruit, spice, malt and yeast. Banana and clove, orange and honey...there's a lot going on here

M: Highly carbonated, with a medium body

D: I really enjoyed this one, it's complex yet still light enough to drink several of.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll keep this simple. This is light and refreshing, tasty, and a perfect beer. It has a slight alcoholic zing to it. It is a 7.7% beer and you will feel it. This would be the PERFECT beer in the summer. It has that Belgian wheat beer core but a bit more flavor.

The smell has something in it that reminds me of the scent of piss. Haha. That doesn't deter me because the taste is fantastic (no piss). The bottle says not to disturb the yeast sediment... I did that by accident. Maybe the yeast doesn't like to be disturbed, it gets pissed... then it decides to smell like it. :D My fault! lol.

If you are a fan of Belgian wheat beers you will LOVE this. I'm sure of it. Cheers.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Poured from a caged/corked bomber into a tulip, pours a dark golden yellow with a nice white head, about two fingers worth of foam, strong head retention, almost reminds me of a hefeweizen.

S: Citrus notes like lemon and orange dominate the nose, with mild inkings of some spices, bready malt, and a bit of yeast

T: I would dare to say a lemon tart like taste on the nose, that fades into a bit more of a malt flavor, with spices rounding out at the end.

F: Fairly light and refreshing, has a crisp, dry finish similar to champagne.

O: A delicious Saison from Ommegang. Obviously, each brewery has their own take on every style, and I like the almost citrus pastry flavor that this beer offers, but as you sip, it grows in complexity, a job well done.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang