Follow our progress ...

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

YOUR RATING = None |

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,139 | Ratings: 5,865
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

A beer haiku for you:

American? Oui!
Belgian style, no regrets here;
Reservations--gone.

My reluctance about an American 'poseur' to the fine Belgian tradition was removed with this beer. Didn't seem to have quite the alcohol 'kick' of several world class Belgians, but that obviously added to the "drinkability". No reservations about having more than two at one sitting without feeling crapulent or hammered. Not the world's leader in this category, but well worthwhile.
Happy Christmas to all--cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my all-time favorites. And very affordable at $4.99 for a 750ml.

App: Fluffy head, slightly off white in color. The brew is a very cloudy light orange.

Smell: Bananas and light fruit prevail here. Alcohol is effectively masked.

Taste: Rancid fruit (in a good way, I promise). Strong banana flavors. Hint of bitterness. Flash of dryness in the middle. Alcohol flares up and then rides through out. Aftertaste is banana and rotten fruit with slight alcohol burnination.

MF: Stinging carbonation gives way to fluffy smoothness.

Drinkability: Very good. Excellent taste and perfect abv.

A 750ml of Hennepin is my personal favorite for a post-work relaxation session. Goes well with winning streaks by the New York Metropolitans.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

I haven't had this one in a while.

Color- Hazy straw-yellow with a voluminous almost-white head.

Nose- Lemon, cardamom, sugar. Nice and clean.

Palate- This is a clean, dry beer with a lemony, spicy character. It's clean and dry enough to whet the appetite for food. It doesn't quite match the peerless balance of some of the Belgian saisons, but it's very good, and a great value.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Copper/orange in color, hazy, with a huge white frothy head that leaves tons of lacing as it recedes.

S - Very bold aromas: lemon, wheat, yeast, and strong notes of fruit (banana?)

T&M - A very complex flavor, albeit, not my favorite. Definitely a good beer for the summer: it has a somewhat crisp wheat-like flavor with notes of complex malts. High carbonation. Medium bodied. Very flavorful mouthfeel.

D - All in all, I definitely respect the quality of this brew - it just wasn't one of my favorites. For 7.7 abv, it wasn't too boozy at all - only a little hint of alcohol here and there.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll keep this simple. This is light and refreshing, tasty, and a perfect beer. It has a slight alcoholic zing to it. It is a 7.7% beer and you will feel it. This would be the PERFECT beer in the summer. It has that Belgian wheat beer core but a bit more flavor.

The smell has something in it that reminds me of the scent of piss. Haha. That doesn't deter me because the taste is fantastic (no piss). The bottle says not to disturb the yeast sediment... I did that by accident. Maybe the yeast doesn't like to be disturbed, it gets pissed... then it decides to smell like it. :D My fault! lol.

If you are a fan of Belgian wheat beers you will LOVE this. I'm sure of it. Cheers.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

It's like the cimarron of saisons. Good individual bits on a chassis that can't deliver. The mouthfeel is really poor, it's thin where it should be thick. Overall not terrible but that mouthfeel is disappointing in an otherwise great beer.

4.63/5  rDev +11%

25th Birthday Beer!!!
This review is from a fresh 750mL bottle. I poured aggressively enough (into an inviting cognac glass) to produce an inch thick head, which lingered for a bit and then dissipated aside to a small ring around the edge of the glass. Color is a beautiful hazy golden-orange with fine bubbles constantly breaching the surface of the beer. This really gives it a lively quality, which is further enhanced by the earthy overtones in the smell and taste.

Initial smell is of candied malts, apple, banana, orange, and straw. Mouthfeel is what I would expect...the bottle conditioning gives a delightful tingling in the mouth, and the slickness and moderate body lets the beer waft across the tastebuds very easily.

Shit...I haven't even gotten to taste yet? :)
Taste is very balanced. Honey and light fruits hit the buds initially, followed by a grassy taste/smell, which is accompanied by a variety of phenols to give some warmth to the taste. Finish is the slightest hop bitterness. It is just enough to balance the upfront dry malts, sugars, and fruit flavors. It really is a melding of many different flavors. Simply ravishing. I absolutely can't believe this is brewed just a couple hundred miles from my house. I have never tasted an American beer like this.

Oh...my. This beer is devilishly drinkable. I can hardly detect the alcohol, as it is well hidden amongst the spices. A 750mL is enough to send me to a happy place, as if the beer weren't enough. I'm not very familiar with Saisons, but all I can say for certain is that this beer is decidedly Belgian, and at $6/750mL, I will buy it again and as often as I can get hold of it. If you love beer, try this beer.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

This saison is a bit on the paler side than some, with a bit less orange in the hue than I initially expected. Head is a gorgeous lacy, rocky white. LOTS of carbonation. The effervescence complements the crisp, clean character of this ale very well.

Aroma is moderately hoppy, with a touch of spicy citrus.

Tastes of noble hops, with a moderate and pleasant bitterness, balanced well by a full maltiness. Slightly sweet in the finish. Very drinkable; I'd gladly enjoy two or three of these in a sitting, in spite of the ABV.

Overall, this is a very balanced and drinkable ale. Definitely one of my favorite American interpretations of a Belgian style, and I'd also say this is one of my favorite saisons -- regardless of origin. I recommend this to anyone looking for an affordable crisp, tasty pale ale with more character than the typical golden ale.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Straw at the bottom, incrimentally more orange toward the top. Soft pillow of head that sticks in clumps.

S: Yeasty esters, mild banana, grain, sweet bread, kiwi, pineapple, cantaloupe.

T: Sweet, but well balanced with hops. Strong honey/raw sugar notes, mild yeastiness. Very subdued and balanced. Classy. Warming alcohol on the back.

M: Crisp and bubbly, like champagne. Full bodied and viscous, yet refreshing.

O: Very nice. Affordable too, this one misses the 10 dollar mark by a hair.

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Presentation- poured into a tulip glass

Appearance - brownish golden beer with lots of foamy head when poured

Smell- sweet honey, a little hint of pears and apples.

Taste-Delicious, hints of lemon zest, light malt character, hints of grassyness. Beer is so balanced and complex enough that my taste buds don't get bored. Nice beer.

Mouthfeel - well carbonated, medium body with a soft feel on my palate.

Drinkability- I really like the saison style beers, and this one in particular I feel like I could drink all day.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

a - Light pale yellow, opaque. Frothy two finger head.

s - Fruity, yeasty, some sour notes. No hints of alcohol.

t - One of the more sour beers I've had. Hits you right on the back underside of the tongue. Otherwise a light belgian taste with a sour aftertaste that requires just one more sip. Warming finish but no mouth numbing.

m - Light body but not entirely watery due to some malt action. Very carbonated but it seems to work in this setting.

d - I'm not quite used to the sour, especially sour without a powerful bitter alongside it. It's an energetic little brew. I see myself pouring to the end of this bottle quickly with no complaints. Great masking on its 8.5% ABV - if not for savoring the sour this stuff drinks like a light beer. Ommegang, I continue to enjoy tasting my way through your great beers.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Beautiful hazy golden straw, huge white head that lasts with appropriate lacing.

S - Roses, light citrus, bread, and that indescribable quality of Belgian yeast.

T - Beautiful blend of lemon zest, residual sweetness, and spicy, minty hops. Nice note of cinnamon.

M - Uh, it's perfect. sweet, frothy, and alive, good dry finish.

D - Very drinkable, very refreshing. This beer is gonna make me re-evaluate the style...

4.17/5  rDev 0%

Psyched to get an ultra fresh sample right near the brewery. Poured into my glass with huge head. Big white puffy foam. Lingered on the glass. Great nose of yeast and spice. Beautiful bouquet. Really charges in dry at the end. I like this beer. Way better than the other one I had.

HENNEPIN GOES FOR THE WIN AND HENNEWINS

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

I want to first start by saying WOW !!.... I was told about this beer by a good friend (and NYU graduate) about a year ago, and have been looking for it since.... I finally got my hands on a couple 25 oz. bottles.... It was well worth the wait.

As I pour part of the 25.4 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a massive head of fizziness appears atop a beautiful and hazy yellowish/gold brew.... Though those little fizzy bubbles diminish quickly throughout the drink, they leave plenty of lacing behind.... There's also easily noticeable sediment rising throughout the drink.

I take a whiff, and I immediately get spice like that of cloves.... There's also fruity notes of banana, and delicious notes of bready Belgian yeast.

All the mouth-watering scents of the beer really come out while sipping it.... You feel everything on the palate the whole way through.... At first sip, I think it's definitely spicy.... There's also a lemon citrus taste, as well as fruits like that of apple or pear.... There's a perfect balance of overall flavor with just the right amount of a hoppy taste to it.

The mouthfeel is is the home run to complete the cycle.... Very full-bodied with moderate carbonation that releases all the flavors of the nose and taste, leaving a lingering aftertaste.... There's also a tingly feeling left on the tongue throughout and well after the drink.

Overall, the only thing that needs to be said is "I LOVE THIS BEER !!".... Amazing from first sight in the glass.... It's complex and deep scents to the delicious and complimentary taste and mouthfeel.... This is amongst the most perfectly balanced beers I've ever had.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into Libby flute. Second pour from bottle. Resealed bottle last night with a fold over, expanding wine stopper. Still great carbonation, smell and taste. Recommend those types of stoppers.
Looks great! Slight hazy, clear gold.
Smells a little sweaty, grassy,funky.
Tastes like it smells. Love this taste. Some bread mixed in, and pear. Slight bitterness.
Great carbonation and very crisp. Bubbles constantly rising.
Will buy again. Loved this beer.

I felt this beer was a bit overrated. It was tasty but nothing about it really stood out to me. It smells a bit like honey and looks attractive in a glass. It has an interesting mouthfeel with a crisp flavor. There are hints of spice, grain and a tiny bit of hops in a sip. The finish is dry but its light enough to be drinkable. When thinking back on my first experience with this style, I remembered enjoying Dupont more. However, I'd have to try it again to explain what I liked about that brew. Although considering the quality I was surprised to see this was a domestic beer. I have a feeling I need to try more Saisons to see if my bias is against the style rather than the brewery.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

picked up a 4 pak at Moe's Beer City center st. Jupiter, fla

nose - pumpkin pie spice in the background, weiss malt
pours - a tremendous head 6-7" which dissipates quickly with good lacing
appears to be naturally carbonated ,hazy straw colour.

1st taste spices as they said caribe spices hops not noted , light weiss finish

this reminds me of a belgian ale Palm, Heffe and a few others , and leaves monk in my trunks ,blue mooned you ale in the dust

Even tho not a fan of Saison or weiss style beers , it's better than most i have tried so i rate it near 4

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Corked and caged 750, bottled on 9/23/09.

Poured into an Ommegang Tulip. First pour gives me a finger of fluffy head, and a great straw-coloring. Lacing doesnt stick to the glass, but a nice collar sits around the top.

Citrus sweetness dominates early and a mellow hop profile gives you flowery notes without being over the top. Balance makes this beer the absolute treat that it is. Thin body and medium carbonation make this an easy drinker, the mark of a great saison beer.

I would write more, but its a shame to be tapping on my phone while this beer sits in front of me. Do yourself a favor and go drink one of your own. Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - A cloudy copper color with 2 fingers of head

Smell - a tart smell with spices mixed in, a very unique beer

Taste - goodness with a citrus blend

Mouthfeel - very smooth with moderate carbination

Drinkability - very drinkable, Im in love

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a golden orange with a foamy white head which fades to decent lacing. Aroma is of citrus, baked bread, yeast, cloves, some sour fruit, and some earthy funk. Taste is of baked bread, lemon peel, yeast, cloves, sour fruit, black pepper, and some earthy wet hay. Has a medium body with a creamy mouthfeel and a dry, slighty bitter, champagne like finish. Overall, a nice example of a Saison.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml poured into a snifter.

A - Honey-colored, a bit hazy, has a huge head.

S - Herbal, astringent, reminds me of white wine.

T - Wow! One of the most crisp and refreshing beers I've ever had, especially considering it's approaching 8% ABV. Fairly tart, with tannins and white grapes. I had this by itself, but it would go great with food as well.

M - Well carbonated, a little thin.

D - Ridiculous drinkability, it blows away many beers that are lower in ABV in this area.

One of the best saisons I've had, Hennepin definitely gives Belgians a run for their money! Great value as well.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Had a glass on tap at the Hopleaf Bar in Chicago, servered in a hennepin glass.

Murky golden yellow hue with a rocky white head that lasted quite a long time.

Lots of aromas, lemons,pepper, nuts, grains, and earthy yeasts.

Great flavor, with grains citrus(lemons, pineapple) Hoppy biscuit flavor. Very complex but well balenced. the mouthfeel was very refreshing but sensed the alcohol.

A very fine and drinkable beer. Have one as often as possible.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle at about 55 degrees into a water glass... Hey, I'm on vacation.

An unclear blond with a nice fluffy head which turns into a thin white lace.

Definite saison funkiness. A little sourness, but this is also
pretty sweet. Some Belgian yeast with aromas of grain, but also sweet malts.

The flavor is in line with the smell. A nice malt backbone, doesn't taste as sweet as the smell. Definite yeast with balancing bitterness. Flavors of biscuits, orange peel. Enough sourness for complexity, but not too sour. There's a lot going on in this beer. The flavor sticks with you for a while with this one.

Medium bodied. Nothing terribly exciting on the palate. Very well carbonated.

A definite session beer. I could easily keep going with this. The 7.7 ABV is entirely non-obtrusive, even when served warmer than intended.

A very nice beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz. bottle served in my Samuel Adams "perfect pint glass"

A- very pale and straw-like...slightly cloudy. A big frothy 2 or 3 finger head with excellent retention..throughout the course of drinking this beer the head stayed intact at about a height of 1 and 1/2 fingers...as the beer slowly goes down a nice ring from the head forms around the top of the glass

S- big phenol smell..Belgian yeast is very noticeable....Spicy, hints of pepper

T-big spicy peppery taste..very refreshing..barely any malt back-bone..slight clove taste..clove taste becomes more apparent as the beer warms and if you pour almost the whole beer in the glass..not a fan of a big clove taste in my beer...i do like a subtle clove taste to provide balance..the beer finishes with a lingering spicy taste

M- very smooth and finishes crisp and dry, medium mouthfeel, leaves mouth quite parched

D-very drinkable..light,refreshing, 7.7% alcohol, great for a summer day

O- not too complex..but very refreshing...not a huge fan of the style

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Boulevard Brewery, Kansas City, MO, standard pint glass.

A: Thick and cloudy yellowish with tinges of green. Nice body of color with some nice lacing and head, lots of very small, fine floating bits from the sediment in the glass (not too distracting, thankfully).

S: Very high in citrus and green apple with a hop body. Some alcohol and yeast backbone. A good aroma.

T: Lemon and floral hops, green apple finish with some mild bitterness. Very light malt body. Little bit of light sweetness, not much bite. Rosey finish.

M: Very crisp and clean, nice and drinkable. Fairly strong beer, but doesn't feel like it.

O: Another very good selection from Ommegang, who is currently averaging a wonderfully high rating for me. Probably the most consistent and highest average brewery I've reviewed. Hennepin must be my least favorite beer from them so far, but it is still a very good brew that would be nice to drink on a mild summer afternoon.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang