Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

YOUR RATING = None |

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,136 | Ratings: 5,847
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

My dad just bought me a 750ml bottle of this beauty and I decided to take a nice break from studying for finals and do my first review, so here goes...

Appearance: Hazy, golden/straw color. Very pillowy, foamy head aroused quite easily by even the slightest agitation while pouring.

Aroma: Almost pilsner-like. Slight hop aroma is present as well as a nice spicy character. Not getting a whole lot else here.

Taste: Lots of spice/Belgian yeasty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carbonation, but this only enhances the refreshing quality of the ale. Very dry as well.

Notes: This is the first time I had this one... and it's awesome. I love it. Very refreshing and highly drinkable. Although it's typically best to drink in the summer, I could drink this any time of year. I highly recommend it.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Wow, I've never seen a beer with a head like this one. It was easily 4+ fingers tall. It filled 1/2 of my pint glass with a meringue like bright white head. I did not use an aggressive pour because I was trying not to get any trub in my glass. The label says not to be too delicate with the pour so as to "create a luxurious head." I definitely saw that. The meringue like head stayed around for the whole 750 ml bottle. It was easy to refresh the head with each pour. (3 times in total.) The beer color was a cloudy bright yellow. Kind of like if you mixed a BMC & a witbier.

S: Cloves, Cloves, and more Cloves!! As a matter of fact, I grabbed the spice jar of cloves from the cupboard and it smelled exactly like that an almost as intense!

T: Again, cloves and more cloves along with a sweet after taste. I was reminded of those clove spice jelly beans that are common around Easter time. I really like those jelly beans and was surprised to find a beer that tasted like that but in a good way.

M: OK to good I guess. I was so overwhelmed by the surprising flavor it was hard to pay attention to this.

D: I finished the whole 750 ml bottle while making the baked ziti for dinner. I took the last sip with dinner. Next time I think I'll wait to crack this open until after dinner due to the sugary sweetness.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a hazy, golden color with a thick layer of cloudy white head.

S: A nice citrus aroma at first, with notes of tropical fruits, a slight funk is also present

T: A combination of fruit, spice, malt and yeast. Banana and clove, orange and honey...there's a lot going on here

M: Highly carbonated, with a medium body

D: I really enjoyed this one, it's complex yet still light enough to drink several of.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Poured from a caged/corked bomber into a tulip, pours a dark golden yellow with a nice white head, about two fingers worth of foam, strong head retention, almost reminds me of a hefeweizen.

S: Citrus notes like lemon and orange dominate the nose, with mild inkings of some spices, bready malt, and a bit of yeast

T: I would dare to say a lemon tart like taste on the nose, that fades into a bit more of a malt flavor, with spices rounding out at the end.

F: Fairly light and refreshing, has a crisp, dry finish similar to champagne.

O: A delicious Saison from Ommegang. Obviously, each brewery has their own take on every style, and I like the almost citrus pastry flavor that this beer offers, but as you sip, it grows in complexity, a job well done.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

This saison is a bit on the paler side than some, with a bit less orange in the hue than I initially expected. Head is a gorgeous lacy, rocky white. LOTS of carbonation. The effervescence complements the crisp, clean character of this ale very well.

Aroma is moderately hoppy, with a touch of spicy citrus.

Tastes of noble hops, with a moderate and pleasant bitterness, balanced well by a full maltiness. Slightly sweet in the finish. Very drinkable; I'd gladly enjoy two or three of these in a sitting, in spite of the ABV.

Overall, this is a very balanced and drinkable ale. Definitely one of my favorite American interpretations of a Belgian style, and I'd also say this is one of my favorite saisons -- regardless of origin. I recommend this to anyone looking for an affordable crisp, tasty pale ale with more character than the typical golden ale.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Ommegang Tulip Glass.

Aside from Saison Dupont, this Saison is one of my all-time favorites. I love the yeasty taste and the earthiness it delivers. The carbonation is higher than other beers and delivers a nice bite. The typical belgian spices of coriander and orange peel are very sublte and only add to the already delicious taste. I had the opportunity to visit the brewery last year and highly recommend it to anyone. For a brewery that's only been around for 11 years now, they turn out some amazing belgian-style brews.

($2.70, 12oz, Oliver's Bev., Albany, NY)

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer is one of my all time favorites.

It pours golden clear with a nice off white head. Good retention.

Smells like a mixture of fruit and malt. Spicy notes. Very nice.

This Belgian beer is everything that this style is about. It is not over sweet or over refined. It is PERFECT!

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A - nice light golden color with so much carbonation that the beer almost looked like champagne.

S - great slightly fruity smell that filled the immediate area almost as soon as the bottle was open.

T - a well balanced brew with a citrus flavor upfront. The flavor left on the palate I found to be almost cider-like.

M - very crisp and light due to the high carbonation; also dry, again very reminiscent of cider/champagne.

O - very good beer. I would suggest this during spring and summer. I bought this for a snowy Maine night and I think my choice might have been better with something a bit heavier.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Quite a beer here, Ommegang impresses me on a consistant basis.

First this is truly beautiful to look at. Nice golden color, with an evident haze due to being bottle conditioned. The head fluffy and very lingering. Very nice Belgian lace sticks to the glass.

The aroma is in a word inviting. Hoppy, floral and truly makes you anticipate that first sip.

The taste is excellent. Light and easy to drink, with a nice sweetness in the finish, preceded by a nice fruity mouthfeel.

At nearly 8 percent, this is a dangerously drinkably beer. Another winnner from the fine people in Cooperstown.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Served from a 750ml bottle to my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance -- Hazy light gold in color with a tall frothy white head, reminiscent of a cloud.

Smell -- Smells like a clear early summer day. Kind of floral . . . a lot of life. Complex.

Taste -- Semi-fruity and earthy. Very nice.

Mouthfeel -- Nice carbonation; very pleasant mouthfeel.

Drinkability -- Quite quaffable. This is one I'll be seeking out on a regular basis. This is my first Ommegang product and I like it very much. You get a lot of value for the price you pay. I cannot believe this is made in New York. It totally feels like it's from Belgium. Great stuff!

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Aroma - Yeast/phenols. Sweetness. Estery. Nice, complex aroma.

Appearance - Yellow with slight haze. White head poured two fingerwidths that dissipated to one fingerwidth. Good lacing. A lot of visible carbonation.

Taste - Yeast/spicy phenols. Slight malt balance. Not very tart. The spice from the phenols, the fruity esters, the subtle hop flavor, the malt, and the dry alcohol finish makes this a very well balanced and complex beer.

Mouth Feel - Thin to medium body. High carbonation. Moderate alcohol. Dry finish. Somewhat phenolic aftertaste.

Overall Impression - Another solid beer from Ommegang. I'm continually impressed at the amount of Belgian beers they make that are great representations of the style. If you're new to Belgian beers/Saisons this is a good one to try and can serve as a good comparison for other beers of the style. It may not be the best Saison, but it is solid.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a tulip glass at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, NC.

A nice pale yellow appearance with a minimal white head and a few lines of bubbles rushing up from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is of honey, light fruitiness...mainly green apple..., possibly some wheat. A faint alcohol presence is apparent after it warms.

The taste is also of green apple, with a good malt presence and minimal hop bitterness or flavor.

It has a light mouth feel with with a slight prickliness from the carbonation.

Overall, this is a great summer beer. Nice for a hot day, but still enough flavor and complexity to be a quality craft beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy copper-orange color with a fluffy white head. Flowery, citrusy, yeasty nose. Refreshing, spritzy mouthfeel. Flavors of lemon, orange, yeast rolls and green apple meld together admirably. Finishes with a bit of a hoppy blast along with a dry tartness. Improves greatly as the bottle warms into the 60 degree range as the nose, flavors and alcohol really intensify.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

this one popped the cork into the ceiling so hard i needed to check for structural damage to the home. it had a huge head that heavily laced the glass. it was a medium yellow color. it smelled heavily of grain, some spice and a very faint fruit. hennepin tastes great but i expected a little more complexity. it finishes quite dry and begs for another, but this beer is strong enough that may not be a great idea.

3.91/5  rDev -6.2%

pours a light straw yellow with a monster 2in white foamy head that looks amazing....Somewhat of a yeasty smell along with some hops and actually a hint of apple...When it first hit my tounge it was fairly sweet and then mildly bitter from the hops...very nice combination...Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbination...Fairly good drinkability as well

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Drank 6/3/10
Poured from the 750ml bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Pours a light straw yellow with a quite large head on a semi-aggressive pour. There is quite a bit of lacing that is slow to fall.

S - Very nice smell. I can detect spices, clove, banana along with barnyard funky wheat and Belgian yeast. Also a little bit of sweetness to the smell.

T - Taste is similar to the smell. This beer has some sweetness and wheat on the front with clove and spices in the middle. Has more spicy bitterness along with an alcohol bite at the end. Spice is a little stronger than I prefer in a saison, but otherwise still good.

M - Lighter bodied smooth with moderate amount of carbonation. Has a nice crisp refreshing feel to the body.

D - Easy to drink and hides the ABV pretty well. I got a little bit of the alcohol bite at the end but it wasn't very noticeable. A little high to be sessionable but it is a nice beer that I could enjoy during the summer even at the higher ABV.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer pours very nicely into a glass. It has a yellow murky look to it. There is not a lot of smell to the beer, but what it lacks in smell it makes up in taste. There is a slight sour taste with some citrus hops added in. There is a decent after taste of thirst quenching juice like flavor. Great as a hot summer day beer. Cheers.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Impressive... I actually thought it was a true Belgian until I read the label more carefully. Poured smoothly out of a 750ml colorfully-labelled bottle into a tulip glass. Golden color and thick, almost sticky white head. Bouquet was everything a belgian should be - fruity and rich. Smooth taste, hint of nuttiness, just an incredible brew. It was about 85 degrees last night, and this was the perfect beer for such a warm summer evening. Worth every penny.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A two finger white fluffy head emerges and fades reluctantly to a thin layer. Lacing is very apparent.

The aroma is peppery, some fresh banana, and a bit of medicinal alcohol in the background.

The foremost taste for me is that of cloves and bananas. A bit sour and a slight, but pleasant hoppy presence. Finishes rather dry with a bitter lemon-like aftertaste.

Quite highly carbonated and light bodied in the mouth, pleasant however.

This is my first time experiencing both this beer and this style. I found it to be highly drinkable and look forward to drinking this and other saisons in the future.

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%

Unlike Father Hennepin (where the name of the beer originates from!), I was not the first to lay eyes on this Saison, though I am sure grateful I did!

A - Straw to Pale Straw in color (SRM 6) with a haziness (bottle conditioned) that only deepens when finishing off the bottle. The foam is frothy white and slowly recedes with little lacing. Carbonation seems high, which probably contributes to the long head retention. Yeast sediment clings to the bottom of the glass after final pour.

S - An arousing peppercorn aroma by way of phenol fills the room upon first flow, though allows for a barnyardy and citrusy orange notes to come through upon bringing the stemmed wine glass closer to the nose. The peppercorn scent predominates, though by no means in a way that is uncharacteristic of the style.

T - Peppercorn, baryardy and slightly citrusy on the palate. The year and carbonation quickly rouses the taste-buds and asks for more! Slight warmth comes by way of the high alcohol, thereby making this a Strong Saison (6.5% - 9.5% ABV) by classification, though not a Belgian Specialty Ale.

M - Slight creaminess with a crisp finish. Carbonation tickles the tongue and leaves a dry yet magical finish.

C - Tantalizingly drinkable and very much to style. Paired incredibly well with a French-style Triple Cream cheese stuffed in Pepperdews (the red varietal pairs nicer with the cheese than the orange one did, though the orange Pepperdew offered a more sweet-acidic flavor than did the red). La Brea Whole Grain bread (purchased at Whole Foods) was delectably utilized as a pairing as well, with aforementioned cheese and Trader Joe's Artichoke Antipasto® to finish off the aperitif. Of course another whole grain bread with lots of density and nuttiness would work just as well! Caribbean-style Halibut burgers and a fresh garden salad with tomato, sprouts, balsamic vinegar and oil, cracked pepper and avocado made up the main course.

Easily one of the very best beers I've had in my lifetime!

Prost!

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured a golden color wiht some murkiness or coudiness. Very impressed with the head but it did quickly dissipate. Floral and fruity aromas hit the nose right away. There is also a sweetness and earthiness to the smell. I love the flavor, takes a minute to hit but its a rush to your taste buds. I really enjoyed the finish of this beer on the palate. Overall this was a great beer..

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Very tasty stuff. Picked this up after a long day at work. Poured a thick white head and smelled awesome. It has good carbonation to it and nice hop and malt flavors. Also some mild fruity flavors. This beer was very refreshing, full bodied, and very drinkable. Highly Recommend it.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

rich malty nose,with a slight belgian nose,slightly phenolic. deep reddish brown,nice lace, thick head. Slightly metallic, but rich malt with a nice lingering finish that drys out nicely, well balanced, hops are well underlining, and blends nicely with the malts.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Beautiful pour into sniffer glass. 3 fingers of white head with great retention and lacing. Smell is great - Belgian yeast, honey suckle, sweet bready malts, alcohol esters. Taste is solid with a very dry crisp finish - champagne like. Overall, a good brew, but for some reason I can't finish more than one. I've had a few saisons and prefer Stillwater.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours a bright hazy gold. Minimal head, cloudy as hell.

S: Fresh, pungent, lemons, sour, wild flowers, orange. The fact that I get a lot of aroma from this beer says something since my sense of smell lacks a bit.

T: Champagne, sour, this is a beer that I feel is the benchmark for the style. This is a superb summer beer with a bright, fresh taste that leaves the mouth feeling like you just ate a garden salad with some green apples and a light vinaigrette.

M: The prevalence of green apple taste made me think that I would have the aftertaste in my mouth that I get from green apples, but I absolutely do not. This beer gently rolls off the tongue and leaves me feeling light and fresh.

D: I love this beer. I need to go buy more. As summer approaches, I can see myself sitting out on my deck on a cool MN summer night drinking a four pack of this lovely brew. I will be purchasing more.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang