Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,086 | Hads: 5,599
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

From a 25 oz. brown bottle, part of a Ommegang 10 year anniversary package...

A: Cork pops like a bottle of champagne. Even my mild pour creates a huge head. Bubbly, frothy, rocky, a metamorphizing off-white head. Cloudy golden-white body. Lots of carbonation- a very active beer. Splotchy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Banana and clove predominately, kind of like a hefeweizen, but with a grainy and grassiness to the aroma as well. Nice clean malt flavor. A deep whiff also gives a slight alcohol smell.

T: Crisp, ever-so-slight maltiness. Predominant flavors of bananas, honey, hint of cloves and other spices that I can't put my finger on. Hint of citric lemon-orange behavior. Really clever grassy, hay-like character that feels like a harmony between the malt and hops. Slight tartness towards the middle/end really brings things together. Lasting banana, smooth malt, and dry fruit flavors sit on the palate after swallowing.

This beer is so complex, I'm pretty sure I didn't even mention half the flavors that were apparant. I could study this for hours.

MF: Well-carbonated, light to medium body, just enough crispness not to overwhelm, but to really enhance the flavors.

D: At 7.5% ABV, not sessionable, but like I said, this is a very complex and enjoyable beer. Simple if you drink it fast, but if you really slow down and enjoy it, a lot of those nuances will come out. A great beer to enjoy outside with nature during the summer. (1,457 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle has instructions for pouring and blurb about history of this beer. Pours a golden orange with 2"+ head that is pure white. Great lacing the whole way through. Smells fruity and yeasty but makes me think "clean".

Tart and alcohol esters were the first impression with some mild earthiness. Clove stands out to me (maybe cuz of all the hefes lately) Ends a slight band-aid dry. As it warms the alcohol comes through a bit more, but nothing overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp and ends with a twangy bite.

I was a bit afraid of this one as I don't drink much that has a higher ABV, but my fears were unfounded. Though I could sense the alcohol as this warmed up it never became the main attraction. The flavor was way too complex for my little mouth, but I'm smart enough to know I liked this alot and will be coming back for more, and more, and then probably some more. My interest in this style is definitely stronger. (936 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

From the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in Raleigh, NC. Poured into an ommegang goblet.

One finger of creamy-white head tops this 18k golden colored beer. The head goes on and on, while medium carbonation sends bubbles through this brew.

Smells of malt and spices. Very faint alcohol scent. Very balanced bouquet urges me to drink. Drink!

The first taste that hits my mouth is cloves, which I don't normally consider pleasant, but other spices (specifically coriander, I believe...) Balance this out. Faint citrus and a slight peppermint taste round thid beer out.

A crisp refreshing mouthfeel is supplemented by lots of carbonation in the mouth. An almost cleansing feel.

I normally don't prefer this type of beer (it was misrepresented on the menu), but I would recommend it to anyone who likes a farmhouse brew. Nice, very nice. (833 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

A: golden with a beautiful head that lingered...i still had some left by the time i had gotten to the bottom

S: yeast, bananas, cloves

T: spicy, citrusy, and sour, it reps the saison style very well

M: carbonation with a sharp finish

D: this beer is delicious...ommegang does belgian beer as well as any american brewery

forgot that duvel owns them now...but i wont hold it against them! (392 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured in to the Ommegang proprietary glass.

A: Pours a nice light gold color with a thick head that sticks around. If you hold it up to the light it looks like an underwater shot of an ice pack. Nice release of carbonation while you admire the beer.

S: Smells yeasty with a hint of either citrus or pine maybe both.

T: There's so much to taste here. I can taste a muted hops combined with that yeasty taste. I don't taste the spice I kind of just feel it on my tongue. As it warms I can taste a fruity flavor.

M: I love how it sits on my tongue. Smooth but with an occasional bite. (588 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. 1/2" fluffy head on top of a cloudy golden ale. Lacing sticks to the glass quite well, and a small head retains throughout. Looks a lot like a witbier, maybe a touch darker.

First smell was a bit offputting, and with that I mean it almost smelled musty, or even like some cheap beer that I wish to forget. Subsequent smells reveal more. Yeast and citrus? Bubblegum? I'm not the best with recognizing smells in beer aroma. I was almost offended at first, and worried I wasn't going to like this, but then...

Great flavor in this, much better than the initial smell. Fruitiness, citrus, bubblegum, it's a sweet beer up front. Wow. This is the first beer of this style I've ever had, and if this is what I can expect from the style, I'm certainly a fan. It's similar to a witbier, without the spice notes. Somewhat dry on the finish, but not bitter, not hoppy. Just a great, highly drinkable beer. I'll be buying this again, no doubt.

Mouthfeel is similar to a witbier. I keep going back to that, but it's my best point of reference. Pretty much perfect drinkability. I would say this could easily be a session beer.

Amazing. (1,165 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%

Damn this is a good beer. Such a smooth light taste, but that Belgian strength and sweetness is still lingering there. A top quality beer for an unbelievable price. (166 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Hennepin pours hazy golden with light lacing that holds a malty fruitiness without being too sweet.
Smell is bright, and substantial. Taste is mildly sweet, slightly fruity, with enough clear malt flavor to hold the fruit notes in check.
I enjoy this beer very much. A very respectable Saison offering that hides it's 7.7 ABV quite well. Excellent. (350 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

The 750 ml bottle, corked champagne style, had a nice hearty sediment at the bottom. Uncorked with an explosive pop and it took 5 minutes to find the cork. Poured into a pint glass with a huge rocky head that, despite my usually-reliable easy pour, ended up running over the rim. Ten minutes later, it's still sudsy and inspiring. The color is a slightly hazy gold and first sniff is banana, clove, and malty sweetness. The taste -wow; very complex with phenolic and esterey qualities with a solid earthy Belgian funk. Hop flavors are in the background, but the bitterness is certainly noticeable. The feel is fizzy, but smooth, with a fruity finish and back-end kick of alcohol.

Really challenging, and I had to take a few sips to reassure myself that this is indeed a beer. Halfway through and I'm really impressed. This is no easy beer. It's more of an arthouse film where you have to pay attention to every moment or you'll miss something critically important. (968 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer is a classic. I can get it in a 750ml bottle at $6.49 from a local beer store and at this price is has no rivals in the entire range of US-brewed craft ales.

The appearance and drinkability are both nothing short of exceptional. Color and notes of hay, baked golden apples, orange marmalade. Very well balanced with just the right amount of hops. This beer is a natural accompaniment to many kinds of grilled seafood and shellfish with light sauces. It excels alongside cheeses and grilled vegetables with roasted garlic also.

Perhaps the most salient feature of this ale still is the consistency of its quality. I've been drinking it since 2003 and am continuously impressed with how steadfastly it meets the expectations. (736 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

I'm bewildered by the super-high ratings for this beer. Malty, finishes sweet, closer to a dunkel than a saison. Color is a lot darker and quite clear compared to other saisons. Pilsner malt flavor with other malt aromas I can't place, but not dry, tart, or refreshing. Where are the phenols and character>?Long lasting head and lace. I won't finish a glass. (361 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

This is an exceptional beer from the get go.
From the 750mL corked bottle, to the pop of the cork itself it screams class. It pours a hazy golden-yellow with a thick, rich white head with some pretty impressive lacing. The head sticks around for a bit, too. The nose is hoppy, citrusy and spicy. Some fruitiness there, too. The first sip is like a slap across the face with flavor. Beautiful hops and malt with undertones of citrus and severe spice. It finishes smooth with a lingering bitterness and a dash of spice. Truly a great beer. Though I haven't tried any other saisons, I venture to guess this is a very good example of one. (635 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer poured a HUGE head even when I had the glass tilted. It took some time for the head to die down but the head actually gave off some nice aromatics. Slight fruity aroma, green apples, flowery almost spring-like aromas, if that makes sense. The mouth feel was huge because of the high carbonation. The taste was extremely light with the co2 rolling around in the mouth. Slightly spicy flavors, but very subtle. Finishes very crisp and clean. This is a very drinkable beer, especially in the summer heat. But I think the price tag is a bit much. (552 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

I drank Hennepin because I am interested in brewing Saisons and this seemed like a classic example.
Appearance- Cloudy, straw color with a bit of a creamy head that lasted halfway into drinking the beer.
Aroma - I smelled lemons, and then malty/bready aromas.
Taste - Hennepin is tart, but not sour, which is appropriate for style. It's a little fruity, but not overpowering. (376 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured out of the 750ml bottle into a tulip glass a crisp, pale straw hue with a whipped egg white head that settled nicely into about a finger's worth of foam (I've got big fingers mind you) and some nice residual lacing on the sides of the glass. Bright tropical fruit and spice on the nose with a touch of honeysuckle. Brilliant clean taste with a nice yeast complexion in the body with a little spice in the finish. Great drinkability- nice effervescence and really clean.

Good Saison from the Ommegang lads. Quite refreshing on a hot day in the city. (556 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

A plastic cup at Fall for Greenville (THink taste of ....)

A: Golden, with a thick head. Once again, I don't think I got the best pour from the festival worker in the Ommegang tent.

S: Citrus with some hits of pear or other similar fruit.

T. Just as it smelled, but at times almost a nectarine like taste. A surprising spicy bite to it.

M: Very light; some decent carbonation.

D: Drinkable to me at least as a sipper. This was my third beer of the festival, and noticed it took me much longer to get through this beer than the other two. I'll likely try this again in a more standard sitting and see how that goes. (623 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -18.4%

A- Poured into a pint glass with no visable head. Dissapointed with the pour. The color was a beautiful strawberry blonde.

S- Wasn't sure if it was clove, barn, or flowers.

T- Like drinking a clover cig, in a straw barn in the country.

M- Clean, medium body.

D- Can see how many people would love this in the summer. Not my favorite style, but an excellent Saison from a top notch brewery.

Anyone in upstate NY should make a point to visit the Ommegang Brewery. Wonderful people, scenery, and delicious beer. (515 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Wow. Just wow.

Pours a nice hay color. I didn't have a pint glass (shocking, right?) with me so I had to use a snifter- perhaps that contributed to the larger-than-expected head. Lots of bubbles, and lots of lacing that stayed all the way through the beer.

Moving on to smell, we've got a whole mess (the good kind) going on in here. I'm notice (in no particular order) orange, apple and lemon.

The "wow" comes in with the taste. An explosion of flavour hits your palate, and each aforementioned fruit is augmented by a nice balance of carbonation.

The mouthfeel is very light, very crisp. It's one of those where you say "Ah" at the end.

For drinkability, simply see the above. (687 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A - Pours a semi-transparent hazy golden yellow with an inch-thick white and soapy-looking head that leaves a nice ring of lacing around the glass.

S - A big yeasty aroma smacks your nose with hints of lemon peel, honey and pepper. A more sour scent appears as it warms.

T - A large amount of bready yeast mixes in with the honey and lemon as well as an overall citrusy note, for a zesty first wave. This is followed by a mix of carbonation and peppery notes that bring a bit of zing to the palate. The two waves combine, leaving you with a refreshingly tart and spicy flavor that lingers for a very short while. The tart factor becomes a little more pronounced as it warms.

MF - Lighter-bodied with a bit of a heavier carbonation that adds to the overall taste very well.

D - Quite a drinkable brew I'd have to say, even though the ABV leans a little toward the higher end of an average beer. If your looking for something to make a session out of though, one could definitely finish the 4-pack of 12oz bottles, which would make for a great summer night session =)

Notes - A very interesting and refreshing brew and my first taste of a saison-styled ale. Overall, quite a good brew to pick for the summer to quench the thirst for a good beer that won't knock you on your ass and that has a great flavor to match. Definitely recommended. (1,400 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6%

EDIT: REALLY important to note- there are DIFFERENT types of hennepin, depending if it is brewed in Cooperstown NY or in belgium. The labeling tells you, and I'm not sure if they've standardized it all. The arched front labels are ones brewed in NY- those are GOOD, the standard hennepin that I love. The ones with a flat square label with the words "product of belgium" are NOT good. They taste like Duvel knockoffs- and since Moorgat brews them IN belgium (to keep up with demand since the NY brewery is allegedly too small), it's no suprise. So if you want the TRUE hennepin, u must buy the arched label with NO pouring directions on the side, with NO statement "Product of Belgium".

The one pictured in these reviews for example is the belgian version. Not as good.

tulip, 750ml bottle

A- ridiculous head, huge, soft, pillowy, rocky chunky. Retains forever to the last sip. Light hazy golden straw on careful pour, very minimal lacing which is my only qualm (and may be only due to my glass).

S- Fruity, yeasty nutty, musk, a little peppery spice.

T- lightly sweet pineapple, dri-ish finish (still sweeter than other saisons I've had), yeast, lightly peppery spicy, some earthiness to it.

M- foamy tight carb, creamy, light bodied.

Overall, this is my favorite beer, the first saison I ever had when I started to get into belgians, and the beer I've bought the most of. 750 ml is better than 12oz's I've bought, and it goes down sooo easy and delicious.

EDIT: Having another bottle and pouring it more carefully yields clumpy splotches of lace, thick clumps at that! So got to raise the score again. (1,613 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

a: golden grain, about an inch of head, no lacing, very clear
s: fruity, grainy malt, very nice smell, pears and lemons
t: citrus, pine and earthy, warming alcohol, slight bitterness, great balance
m: perfect carbonation, light/medium body, very smooth
d: the beer goes down easy. highly drinkable even for a >7% beer. (321 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Enjoyed a 750 ml bottle.
A Great Saison/Farmhouse Ale.

A dull straw gold color. Somewhat transparent. Nice white head that appears very sudsy. Fair amount of lacing.
Smells of honey, citrus, and hay.
I love the taste of this - lemon, pepper, sweet malt. Nice crisp, clean, citrus finish that lingers for quite a while.
Very nice mouthfeel- light, bubbly almost tingles.

I suggest you drink this one!!!
A great value. (418 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Wow.

That's all I can say. Phenominal.

Hennepin is my "stand-by" beer, so you could probably say that I am biased. If you believe so, stop reading my review. But I think my opinion is valid because I've had it 1,000,000,000 times, both in the conditioned bottle and on-tap.

Knowing that I must have a recent review to be valid, I went and got an imperial bottle of this from Wegmans (anybody who lives in the Rochester area knows about this store) and chilled it by letting it sit outside in the 4-degree weather for a wee bit. I poured it into a Brewery Ommegang glass.

The head rears up no matter how little you shake the bottle. Just get used to the idea of having a glass 3/4 full. The smell is funky, almost as if you're sitting in the middle of a cornfield. There are citrus notes from the flavoring hops, all of which are from the Czech Republic. Bubbles cascade upwards no matter how long it sits.

Now for the taste. It's dry and full, with a medium body and a present alcohol tone; immediatly commanding your mental faculties. The citrus-y flavor then hits, then the bitterness. Something I have noticed with the umptrillion times I've had this is that the flavors are very seperate and one notices them one-by-one, not all at once like many other Saisons.

After killing the whole 750-ml bottle, I'm pretty happy and require some time before I can drive, thanks to the 7.7% alcohol content.

My only gripe? Perhaps it's a bit too bitter. That's it.

It's not perfect, but damn close to it, and better than most of the actual Belgian Saisons and it's only $5.

P.S. Living just 2 hours from Cooperstown, I decided a road trip was in order. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have some of the best brews in this fine country of ours. (1,769 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a growler into a pint glass (several times)

Appearance: Pours a pale golden with a slight haze clouding the body of the beer. Carbonation gives way to a full snow white churning head, which quickly subsided to a light film that leaves almost no lacing.

Smell: The aroma of this beer has a slight doughy sour note, fruit, spicy yeast, and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: The beer brings back memories of many a triple but with a twist. I love the flavour present from Belgian style yeast. There is a sweet tartness to this beer that reminds me of white grapes which is a superb contrast to the dry crisp profile of this beer. Reminds me very much of a sauvignon blanc I recently had.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body, crisp, and refreshing. This beer is excellent at masking it's 7%+ abv, which adds to the pleasant feel going down.

Drinkability: It doesn't get much better than this. If this beer could contain alcohol or could be exactly the same and contain no alcohol I would opt for later because if I could I would drink this all day every day. Absolutely the best Saison I have ever had. (1,100 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Poured 2 fingers head, clear and bubbly straw-gold. Looks like a lot of fizz, but good head retention.

Nose: Smells creamy, cloves, mild bananas. Hint of citrus zest.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Sweet malt up front, bananas and cloves, fades into a peppery citrus flavor that lingers. Was shocked to find the ABV at 7%. Completely masked in the taste, well done.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and round at first, but the good amount of carbonation gives a clean and tingling citrus feeling on the tongue as a finish. Tastes rich but refreshing.

Drinkability: Excellent. I'd have this all summer every summer.

Overall: This is a brilliant beer. It delivers exactly what it promises. Keep up the good work at Ommegang. (725 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang