2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Reviews: 2000

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,392 | Reviews: 2,000 | Show All Ratings:
DarrinRasberry

Iowa

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Amazing head on top of a dark yellow body launches up to the top of the glass and hangs out forever, ending its long life in a spiderweb of beauty. Glass is soapy all the way down. This beer could not look any more inviting.

S: Mint, orange, wheat, lemon, and funk.

T: I've had only a handful of Saison-styled beer, but this is heads and shoulders above all of them. Citrus and funk define an amazing blast of flavor that is not at all shy. What a magnificent work of art this beer is!

M: Sharp kick of carbonation is as good as it gets. Wish the citrus flavors would stick around longer in my mouth rather than the funk, but that's the only possible complaint I could generate.

D: I could slam these until I pass out. Delicious.

06-04-2010 03:46:25 | More by DarrinRasberry
paulys55

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours hazy light straw with a lively 2 inch head. Dry citrus and yeast with a bit of earthy spice. Carbonation really crackles across the tongue and mouth and drinkability for me is quite high. This was one of the first saisons I ever had and is my fall-back saison when availability or wallet contents is an issue.

12-03-2010 15:47:15 | More by paulys55
TheKtulu7

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: A thick, foamy white head sits atop a slightly brown, cloudy yellow beer. Eventually the head settles to a respectable layer that takes most of the lacing with it, leaving a decently clean glass.

Smell: Banana. And some earthy tones. That's all I can say about this beer.

Taste: Banana, spice, and a bit of earthy/grassy tones.

Mouthfeel: Clean, smooth, and slightly frothy.

Drinkability: Absolutely.

12-31-2010 04:46:42 | More by TheKtulu7
poolemhore

Maine

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A - nice light golden color with so much carbonation that the beer almost looked like champagne.

S - great slightly fruity smell that filled the immediate area almost as soon as the bottle was open.

T - a well balanced brew with a citrus flavor upfront. The flavor left on the palate I found to be almost cider-like.

M - very crisp and light due to the high carbonation; also dry, again very reminiscent of cider/champagne.

O - very good beer. I would suggest this during spring and summer. I bought this for a snowy Maine night and I think my choice might have been better with something a bit heavier.

12-13-2013 21:08:56 | More by poolemhore
Fear4Beer

Delaware

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll keep this simple. This is light and refreshing, tasty, and a perfect beer. It has a slight alcoholic zing to it. It is a 7.7% beer and you will feel it. This would be the PERFECT beer in the summer. It has that Belgian wheat beer core but a bit more flavor.

The smell has something in it that reminds me of the scent of piss. Haha. That doesn't deter me because the taste is fantastic (no piss). The bottle says not to disturb the yeast sediment... I did that by accident. Maybe the yeast doesn't like to be disturbed, it gets pissed... then it decides to smell like it. :D My fault! lol.

If you are a fan of Belgian wheat beers you will LOVE this. I'm sure of it. Cheers.

03-24-2014 01:25:46 | More by Fear4Beer
mrjimcat

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer was received as a Christmas gift in the three pack from the Ommegang Brewery. The beer poured quite lively into the glass forming a dense long lasting head with a beautiful color. The overwhelming nose was that of apples. I took some time just enjoying the aroma. The taste on the palate was clean and light with the bitterness being subdued and later. The beer tasted deceptively light for the high alcoholic strength. The finish was short and clean. Before I knew it, the glass was empty. A fine and tasty example of the style.

01-01-2003 18:51:54 | More by mrjimcat
dragonbrew

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Haven't seen Ommegang beers in very many places around my area until just the past few months. Interestingly enough I stopped in a random Dandy Mini mart (typical gas/convenience store) and as I was waiting to pay for my gas at the front I looked to the back of the store. To what to my surprise did I see, but yes, an Ommegang display rack. This surprised me because this place has always been your typical place to find deals on such things as Natty light and Busch. I don't know if it is selling in this locale, but hey, God bless them for trying.

Point is their beer is starting to pop-up everywhere in the Southern Tier not just in the better beer stores, and that can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, about the beer. Although it wasn't my first time with a Hennepin saison and certainly not the last, it is the first time I've reviewed it. I purchased a bomber at the store around the corner from my home and chilled it for a couple of hours before consuming.

At first pour the frothy pure white head was abundant and survived throughout the drinking of the beer covering the hazy straw color of the liquid below. As for smell, I don't have the greatest of ability in this area, but to be sure there was nothing in the slightest bit "off "about this beer, and it was at least pleasant in that respect.

The taste had a very light sweetness to it and a definite clove, corriander, citrus undertone. Although it has a 7.5 abv it seemed much lighter in mouthfeel, something a "gulpper" (like I can sometimes be) should be wary of on a hot summer afternoon.

I definitely see myself buying this beer more often now that it is readily available. It is a great summer beer that is light and refreshing. AND at $4.99 retail, not a bad price for a very high quality product.

05-30-2006 01:35:16 | More by dragonbrew
Ivanthehero

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer poured a beautiful brilliant orange into my La Fin Du Mond tulip stolen from a Quebec City hotel.

Smell-I think Saisons are some of the best smelling beers. I don't know what to compare their smell to, perhaps a fresh bag of nature. Mmmm, nature.

Taste- Tart citrus. Very crisp, does not linger on the palate. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel- I'm a big fan of tiny little bubbles, which this has. Kinda sticky afterwards.

Drinkability- Man, I would be trashed if if someone offered me one of these after exercising. It really hits the spot and if I were parched I do believe I would drain one of these before you could say Ommegang.

10-12-2006 04:53:44 | More by Ivanthehero
2LBrew

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

On Tap at a favorite beer bar.

Appearance: Pours somewhat whitish yellow color. Head adheres to the glass.

Smell: A very spicy beer. It has a different type of smell that is remarkably good.

Taste: I was expecting a strong, overpowering taste, but it was very drinkable and satisfying to the taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Smooth all the way. Very light and soft, providing a bit of tingly sensation with every sip.

Drinkability: Alcohol is hardly noticable with exceptional flavor.

This beer was a great find. After attending the Strong Ale fest in San Francisco this year, I really have taken to Strong Ales. I would recommend if you are looking to broaden your beer drinking scope. If you are not comfortable with drinking beer out of a something other than a pint glass, avoid this one.

04-05-2007 06:13:33 | More by 2LBrew
JollyToper

Arizona

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Tops Liquor near ASU in Tempe.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

Pours an hazy unfiltered gold color with a nice rocky head. The glass I poured it in is great for capturing the scent but hurts lacing, so I won't penalize it for that.

Very interesting smell. I'm new to this style but at first sniff I thought bananas like Hefeweizen. But it has an spicy sort of smell as well.

Taste is fruity and peppery at the same time. Bananas, lemons, and spice. Dry finish and makes my mouth pucker a little.

Mouthfeel is carbonated though I couldn't see the bubbles. Prickly on the tongue and a little bit acidy.

Drinkability is good. I could have several of these. They are very refreshing.

Overall, this was a real treat. It was cool to try a new style and I really liked it.

01-18-2009 04:18:16 | More by JollyToper
beldin96

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Look - This beer pours a pale yellow color with some cloudiness and a very think fluffy white head. There are lots of champagne like bubbles that last thru the entire drinking.

Smell - I got some bananas, clove, yeast, fruit and a subtle maltiness and sweetness.

Taste - I found some clove, bananas, spiciness, other fruits and some sweetness on the taste. There is a bit of a bite to it, and you get some alcohol bite to it as well towards the finish.

Feel - A lot of carbonation like champagne. This could be off putting to some, but I enjoyed it. There is not a lot of body, but there is a lot going on in the flavors.

Drinkability - I would rate this beer well on drinkability. With everything going on from smell to flavors, it was really nice. Yes there is a decent amount of alcohol to it, so it is not sessionable, but it was very tasty.

01-22-2011 22:14:07 | More by beldin96
Sirwootalot

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. The beer has a thick, chunky, and very foamy head - some bubbles are large enough to be iridescent, and the whole thing has the look of ocean spray frozen in time. The nose is redolent of lemon candy, wheat fields, and a tiny hint of exceptionally tidy barn. Upon tasting this beer, I involuntarily exclaimed "oh my fucking god" - It's utterly sublime. Juicy fresh-squeezed lemonade accompanied by hints of carrot cake, white peppercorns, and maybe even a tiny tinge of nose-searing russian mustard. As the taste develops, the strong alchol notes and the copious phenols kick in, with a taste very much like banana bread or fried plantains. It's like a beer equivalent of a gruner veltliner, in all of the best ways imaginable. Despite the high alcohol, it goes down almost more like juice or 7-up - it is just fiendishly drinkable. It leaves a sticky, starchy and very dry feeling in your mouth after a while, which of course just makes you want more.

Overall, this is one of the best damn things that has ever entered my mouth, beer or otherwise - and hands-down the best Saison i've tried (though Surly cynic comes close). I originally wasn't planning on reviewing this beer, but it was so ridiculously good that I felt utterly compelled to share the experience.

07-14-2012 03:08:12 | More by Sirwootalot
Gregorious

750cl bottle -> chalice

A - Hazy yellow golden brew spreads its way into the chalice creating a beautiful pillowing of ivory head.

S - Spicy! Cloves, citrus, tart, honey...mmmm my mouth waits in excitement.

T - Hazzah! Citrus flavor mixed with a fall spices. Grapefruit and cloves dance their delicous dance across my tongue. Crisp and nice yeast and pepperly finish.

M - Light and crisp...saisons are some of my favorite summer drinks and I remember why.

D - Yessir may I have another? So so delicious and easy to drink. Polished off a bottle with a buddy halfway through "Rescue Me"..so shucks I had to open another. Try this out...especially if you already like Saisons.

07-07-2006 18:46:11 | More by Gregorious
psurandy

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful light golden with a nice fluffy white head. Smells a bit of lemon and vanilla with some sourness and overall funkiness to it. The head has fantastic retention with very nice lacing to it. Outstanding flavor with notes of vanilla, lemon, and hay funkiness. There's a pleasant bit of hop bitterness at the end. This is a beer that I think is fantastic, but can't put my finger on why exactly. Does funky lemony vanilla hay sound good? Well no, but drink it sometime and you'll find that it actually tastes fantastic. The beer has such a nice smooth drinkability and alcohol is very well hidden. Highly recommended.

05-15-2009 00:56:10 | More by psurandy
nassaubeercop

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Growler Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Translucent gold, with thin white foamy head which dissipates leaving a little lace.

S- Lots of yeast, some citrus notes.

T- Crisp yeasty, bready, earthy, some citrus acidity.

M- Champagne like, quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Pretty standard example of a saison, good but not great. I like this better from a bomber.

Serving type: growler

07-30-2011 01:31:26 | More by nassaubeercop
PeterM

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Clean pine-wood color with and beautiful rich 1-2 finger white head that coats the glass with heavy lacing

S: Pine-y sharp with esters. Not my favorite kind of smell, though it could be appropriate for this style.

T/M: Hoppy, sharp, citrus-y and pine-y (sensing a theme here). Unexpected body, leaving a nice coating and a slight astringency.

O: though this is not my usual choice of beer, it is surprisingly satisfying. I would drink it again if I was looking for a lighter kind of ale with character. Even now I am still curious about it and would definitely try it again.

08-27-2012 03:46:55 | More by PeterM
BruceBeerman

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

750ml corked bottle. Color is hazy very light straw.
Nice Saison which is hard to believe it came from the US and not Belgium. Very citrus and orange flavor ale. The carbonation is very good-not too much or little, with a finger size foam lace at the top of a goblet. The mouthfeel is good with very slowly disapating foam. Very easy to drink but has a little alcohol kick to it. You can feel it as you drink (7% ABV) but you really feel it as it hits your head. Some beers have a delayed alcohol reaction-not this one. Don't drink on an empty stomach. This is a great beer to share with friends! My wife even liked it!

01-10-2005 00:22:53 | More by BruceBeerman
epk

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

notes from 3-4-09

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip shaped chalice. Appealing cloudy golden yellow with a large frothy head with good retention. Sticky white lacing. Aroma a spicy tartness with a hint of a sour side.

In the taste the sour side becomes more evident reminding one of wine - on the dry side. A moderate bitterness in the aftertaste. Well carbonated with alcohol somewhat apparent. Defiantly a robust body it gives you the idea of Flemish Sour without going completely there.

For me drinkability is moderate. If you would like to acquire the taste of a sour this saison may be a good place to start down that path. Probably best drank in the warmer months.

03-12-2009 17:26:12 | More by epk
RyWill

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance - Dull golden yellow with a huge sticky white head that leaves it mark as you go.

Smell - Definitely has the saison funk going on. Has a certain spice and medicinal quality to it as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Sweetness and fruits up front but finishes off with the tartness and medicinal qualities you get from the smell, especially as it warms. Light to medium bodied, quite a bit of carbonation keeps the mouthfeel even more refreshing.

Drinkability - Balanced through and through a with the relatively low ABV it certainly makes for a drinkable beer.

09-03-2009 15:23:36 | More by RyWill
bmoney

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

I'm a big fan of Belgians but this is the firt Saison I've had (or at least can remember). Similar spice and flavor of some of the other Belgians but more crisp and fresh. I will definitely explore other Saisons.

from 750ml bottle into tulip glass:

A- Pours beautifully; a hazy golden amber color. Frothy white head that builds quickly and sticks slightly on the way down.

S- Very fresh and spicy. First instinct is citrus, then the hints of dark fruits clove and banana linger.

T/M- Must admit I had higher expectations for taste based on the smell. Rush of carbonation. The citrus is there, along with some other fruits as it warms, such as fresh apple or pear. Some honey is there in the background. There is a tart after taste from the beginning, and you can feel the alcohol on the exhale.

D- Had the whole 750 and could ask for more. Maybe because I'm intrigued by this beer, or maybe I'm just enjoying the buzz.

09-24-2009 03:27:39 | More by bmoney
southernbelle09

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

I tried this beer out of a 22 oz bottle from Oasis in Spartanburg. The color is kind of hard to describe. Sort of a hazy yellow with huge, bright white head that fades some. Smell is sugar and alcohol with little hops. Taste is sweet and a bit dry. This one is really bubbly, but a very easy drink, espically at 7.7 abv! I was really impressed with this beer and can see why it's one of the best saisons out there!

11-30-2009 04:10:20 | More by southernbelle09
acehart1

4.7/5  rDev +13%

2004 vintage Hennepin. Got damn.

This beer tastes like typical Hennepin. It really doesn't taste much different than fresher batches I have tasted in the past. It is still extremely drinkable and lighter, something I have come to expect from this beer. It's kind of cool to see how this beer compares to a newer vintage. On second thought, the beer has gained more of a champagne-y taste, a very delicate balance of sweetness, bubbles, and a little dryness. Very cool. Glad my neighbor had the patience to age this one.

01-23-2011 00:02:10 | More by acehart1
afogg0855

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Good God this is wonderful.

This is the first Saison Beer I've ever tried. My interest was actually sparked by a list of "50 Beers to try before you die" and it happened to catch my eye at a Whole Foods store.

It pours a glowing light straw color that is just gorgeous. The scent can be enjoyed throughout my entire kitchen and the first taste truly brings this work of art to life.

The flavors of a delicous floral yeast, with citrusy apricot subtleties come alive on my tongue.

This is a beer that should truly be enjoyed by everyone who can get their hands on it.

03-03-2011 18:23:03 | More by afogg0855
Lungman

Alabama

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

First of this style for me. I like it....a lot. Clean and tight. A beer I would like to sip floating down the river on an inner tube with one of my old friends. Not an expert on this style so I won't act like it. However I know beer, and this one is real nice boys.

07-22-2013 05:07:16 | More by Lungman
N8TheGreat

New Hampshire

Served at 53 degrees

Pouring this beer into a snifter produced a thick, tight head that complemented the hazy gold color of the Saison. Aroma was quite pleasant and familiar. The beer enveloped my mouth upon the first sip as bitter hop and spicy Belgian notes faded into a delicate fruit which lingered but a moment. Despite its 7% level only the slightest suggestion of alcohol mostly via warmth. This beer proved immensely drinkable.

09-19-2007 22:02:47 | More by N8TheGreat