Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A: Hazy straw color; a big, thick, bubbly white head lasting for a long time leaving lots of lacing as it falls.

S: That big Belgian nose, yeasty and bready, lemon, spicy notes (a bit of pepper).

T: All those wonderful Belgian flavors, yeasty with a touch of malt in the background, spicy notes (pepper and coriander), lemon zest, some tart citrus. Some slight bittering hops drying the finish out.

M: Medium body, smooth, round, and full; lots of carbonation.

O: A great balanced beer with an awesome appearance and small…and it tastes great. Lotas of yeasty flavor balanced with a mild backbone and a pleasant dry finish.

So this is the much vaulted Saison -- I don't hate it. I specify that because in the past I have found spiced beers unpalatable, and I had been specifically avoiding this style for that reason. Evidently, when spices are placed the in hands of a master brewer, they don't suck.
This beer pours like Dreadnaught, a hazy straw colour with a generous head. It smells, like a beer. By that I mean, it smells similar to a variety of continental pils, a pleasant smell indeed.
The taste follows the smell. It is simple and subtle. It actually reminds me of a Grolsch; however there is an ethereal taste, something I can't place my finger on. Similar to bubblegum, actually. That's good.
Ohhh, as it warms some more flavours come out. It loses the Grolsch quality and grains a granular flavour. Not bad. Is that corriander? Not sure. I'm not one to pick out spices. But, yeah, this is a good beer.

Oh wow. 7.7% is what it says on the bottle. Well hidden, well hidden indeed.

Makes me actually want to try other Saison-style beers. Maybe Belgium makes something worth consuming other than french fries. . .

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Found Hennepin on draft at a Winking Lizard in Columbus and I couldn't pass it up. I always like to try Belgian and Belgian-style beers I've had in the bottle on draft to compare the flavors. Typically, I find these beers to be rounder (more balanced) and not as complex and flavorful as their bottled counterparts. This particular glass of Hennepin on draft was typical in that regard. I missed some of the rustic character of the brew on draft, but instead was left with a sweeter, less dry wheaty tasting ale, that was nonetheless quite refreshing. This beer was not as visually appeailing as the bottled version and lacked the mousse-like head of its bottled counterpart, although the aroma was still fairly bright with notes of vanilla. A white pepper spicines tended to come out a little more as the beer warmed up. The mouthfeel was very soft, with a little bit more of a bitter finish coming out as the beer warmed up. Perhaps served too cold. This was exceptionally drinkable at the right temperature.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.59/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance - Poured 12 oz bottle into Unibroue tulip glass. A murky light golden color, huge head that dissipates after a couple of minutes to a thin lacing. Very bubbly all the way.

Nose - Spicey clove-like, sour alcohol, some light fruitiness--nothing I can pinpoint.. Extreme funkiness, doesn't really smell appealing.

Taste - At first it is somewhat fruity, but a fruit with a sour bitter bang. Less spices are there than what I got off the nose, but they're still evident. I don't taste the citrus that others describe. Leaves a pleasant dry bitterness in the mouth, lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel - Decent. Surprisingly light and smooth considering the amount of carbonation present off of the pour.

Drinkability - Excellent. Finished my 12 oz in no time. A little more bitter than I anticipated but this is a strong brew overall. I've only tried a couple of saisons, so I don't know too much about them. You can't really go wrong with most of Ommegang's offerings... Delicious beer at a decent price.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance- Very pale color mostly transparent color. Not much head retention. I'm inclined to think that a beer needs head retention to have the strong aroma that I like but this one defies that rule of thumb. Great aroma and taste from this one that almost looks like your typical garbage BMC.

Smell- At first it I got your typical banana, grass, and funk. As I got a bit further into it I noticed the it wasn'treally banana but some other fruits.

Taste- For the most part follows the nose. Opens up into a nice range of fruits. Lemon, apple, and pear. Nice hop crispness, hay, coriander spice, and funk. Really complex beer for a lighter style.

Mouthfeel- medium light bodied. Enough body to enjoy the range of flavor and just enough hop sharpness to keep it crisp.

Overall- Well done ommegang! This is a must try beer. This will be one of the beers where you have to ask yourself why you hadn't had it before. I wish I could give it a perfect score but I just can't bring myself to do it. The knock on appearance is due to previous standards on what usually makes a good beer. The sharp mouthfeel is most likely necessary to open up the depth in this beer but keeps it from being the beer you can drink all day.

Edit: I've had this beer again many times with a good amount of head. I think there was soapy residue in the glass when I did the review

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle from ABC Fine Wines & Liquors in Daytona Beach, FL. Review from notes taken at the time of tasting.

A: cloudy yellow-orange with a golden/amber tinge, two fingers of bubbly white froth, and globs of lacing on the shaker (wrong glassware, I know).
S & T: yeasty and nutty aromas, strong citrus and lemon flavours, fruity tanginess, a little sour. This lacks the brett elements of a traditional saison, but it's a delicious beer nonetheless.
M: huge peppery spiciness in the body, super tart and dry finish. Packs an impressive, refreshing bite. Very good.
D: goes down like a glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. This drinks way too easy for a 7.7% brew. Maybe it's the 30+ degree weather in Daytona? Either way, Hennepin is a satisfying Belgian-style ale. Worth a shot.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%