Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,512 | Reviews: 2,110
3.87/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle conditioned poured in a standard pint...because that's what I have in this hotel.

A: slightly hazy golden color small head that persists and leaves lacing on the glass as you drink.

S: slighly metallic smell with light apple like jicama or starfruit but not sour like starfruit

T:sweet like a chimay cinq cents with buttery bread feel that fades to a plain wheat bread. Slightly spicy though I'd be inclined to say it's the carbonation.

M: smooth easy drinking saison slight burn from carbonation but not harsh.

O: I agree with ajzbedo in that this would be great to pop the cork on a hot summer day it's refreshing and flavorful in the bread department. It can even at times remind me of caraway ie pumpernickel. I'd say I'm a fan, it's reasonably priced too.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

poured into my duvel glass- didn't realize how appropriate that would be until i tasted it. it appeared slightly more golden in color than duvel, but the taste was pretty close. a little thinner and slightly less peppery, but overall not very different to me. thoroughly enjoyed, but if i'm going for that style i'll go with hennepin's older, more established belgian cousin.

Named after the Belgian Missionary who discovered Niagara Falls - who says Beer isn't educational?

Poured from 355ml bottle i ended up with a foamy head due probably to my over vigourous pouring technique. Once it settled the beer is pale and cloudy in appearance due to the yeast sediment. A hoppy crisp taste pleasant to drink, the beer belies its 7.7% ABV. Overall a very good Saison, worth checking out.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Pale straw with thick, lasting, frothy head.

Smell - Grassy hops. Spicey yeast overtones. Some clove aroma.

Taste - Nice spicey sweetness, with floral hop balance. A hint of clove in the aftertase.
Good complexity.

Mouthfeel - Effervescent, and quenching. Medium body.

Drinkability - Complex and balanced flavor makes this an excellent quality brew. The last drink leaves you wanting another. This is quickly becoming a favorite.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours a hazy straw yellow with a reasonable pure white head. Strong lacing that really hangs around.

S - Strong fruit (banana, hint of citrus) with a welcome - if muted - floral hoppiness, and beyond that just a general sense of fresh flowers. Really interesting.

T - Fruit comes on at the start and remains throughout, the same banana and lemon/citrus. I feel like theres some sort of spice in here that I can't quite put my finger on - not hot but just a zestiness. Mild to moderate hop bitterness on the finish but it doesn't linger too long.

M - Surprising amount of carbonation but a generally light mouthfeel. Not a huge amount of aftertaste, but the alcohol content comes through at the end.

D - Reasonably light for what it is. I don't think I'd want to session something as worthy as this anyway, but I could certainly put away a few pints before the moderate ABV catches up to me.

Overall, a great warm weather beer and a nice way for someone who hasn't traditionally been a fan of the style to jump in. OK, it's not a "real" Belgian in the same way a Padron Anniversario 1964 isn't a "real" Cuban...but in the end, do you really care? This a great offering, no matter where it's brewed.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle poured a light pale straw color with a hint of orange to it. Head was rich and fluffy white with many small bubbles that faded down to a good 2-3 fingers. It smells quite like fruits and citrus such as peaches, bananas, and oranges. It also has a somewhat spicy wheat aroma to it. The taste is sweet and fruity like the smell. Not a lot of hops with just a small bitterness to round it off. It has smooth mouthfeel that isn't real thin and watery but isn't thick and syrupy. All in all, it is a very good drinkable swill. I was expecting a little more out of it, but still enjoyed it.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

My first saison came from the well in a flute glass. A slightly cloudy honey and tea was topped with an airy head that left a trace of lace

It was faint in the nose and not as available as I would like, but straw and spice with a hint of fruit.

What a beautifully flavored beer. Earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. The draw was the best part. Touches of honeydew, melon and orange! FABULOUS!

If this is the archetype saison, I shall be having more!

4.73/5  rDev +14%

750mL bottle poured into a Chimay goblet

A: A golden glow, as if from some inner light. It pours with a poofy head that settles down to a thin coating after a long while.

S: Spicy. A little musty, but that gives way to bright and sharp very quickly.

T: The beer is immediately sweet, spicy, and bitter. It all hits the palate at the same time and then fights it out through the finish. This beer is like a train wreck of great flavors, all smashing together with wonderful results. The finish is long, with sweet giving way to bitter giving way to spicy, finally giving way to a lightly sour lemon flavor.

M: Prickly carbonation that lasts all the way to the end, combined with a medium-bodied beer makes this a perfect mouthfeel.

D: This beer is perfect for drinking while cooking on the grill in the middle of summer after mowing the lawn and playing fetch with the dog. It's perfect for drinking on a cool night. The alcohol content is low enough to make this a beer you can sip all night, and everything about it is enough to make you want to sip it all night.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

a-It pours with a nice lush three inch head,some lacing as it fades. Color is a hazy yellow gold.
s-Yeasty but nothing really jumps out, maybe some clove, some cereal,a little hay, a hint of sweetness, and some saaz.
t-Fairly tart and bitter, a touch of alcohol. Not that enjoyable to me.
m- Nice feel of carbonation on the tongue, dry, but seems to coat to my mouth after it goes down.
d- Drinkable but I couldn't do a lot of these.

4.69/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. The beer has a thick, chunky, and very foamy head - some bubbles are large enough to be iridescent, and the whole thing has the look of ocean spray frozen in time. The nose is redolent of lemon candy, wheat fields, and a tiny hint of exceptionally tidy barn. Upon tasting this beer, I involuntarily exclaimed "oh my fucking god" - It's utterly sublime. Juicy fresh-squeezed lemonade accompanied by hints of carrot cake, white peppercorns, and maybe even a tiny tinge of nose-searing russian mustard. As the taste develops, the strong alchol notes and the copious phenols kick in, with a taste very much like banana bread or fried plantains. It's like a beer equivalent of a gruner veltliner, in all of the best ways imaginable. Despite the high alcohol, it goes down almost more like juice or 7-up - it is just fiendishly drinkable. It leaves a sticky, starchy and very dry feeling in your mouth after a while, which of course just makes you want more.

Overall, this is one of the best damn things that has ever entered my mouth, beer or otherwise - and hands-down the best Saison i've tried (though Surly cynic comes close). I originally wasn't planning on reviewing this beer, but it was so ridiculously good that I felt utterly compelled to share the experience.

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a yellow, but thick cloudy, body with a thicky and cloudy offwhite lacy head. Smells of malt and not much else. I only knew there were bananas in there because of other reviews, otherwise I would have never picked it up.

Truly tastes like nothing great, just a nice malty beer, but nothing impressive, and something I would never spend 2.75$ for a 12oz bottle on again. This is a beer that is truly underwhelming.

The mouthfeel & drinkability for a 7.7% ABV were the only upsides to this beer. The fact that only a few will get you feeling really good and that it goes down nice with a quick bite make it only slightly worthwhile...

For a brewer who puts out Abbey Ale & Three philosophers, this was extremely disappointing.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a light straw yellow with a thick, fluffy, white head. The smell is of fruit and yeast. Upon drinking, I first noticed a complex medley of flavors, hard to pin any one flavor down. There were over-riding fruit flavors with a bit of an alcohol tingle on the front of the tongue. After swallowing, a mild apple juice flavor lingers for a short time. Has a sharp bite when it first hits the tongue but mellows out.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

75dL bottle into an Ommegang holiday pack glass.

This beer was so pretty that I had to stop and take a picture. A beautiful translucent golden color with a billowing white head. The lacing never ends.

This been smells like getting drunk on the bank of the Seine. Or at least that is what my brain is telling me. I don't drink many Saisons, but my first were consumed on a trip to Paris with some buddies. If I was in the fragrance business creating a cologne that smelled like this would be priority number one. The actual scent is grassy with hints of green apples, and maybe a little alcohol underneath.

Very tart, but I wouldn't say sour. It is a light tasting beer. All the scents that I picked up are also present in the taste. My mouth feels clean after each sip. I could probably drink more than a .75L bottle of this is given the opportunity.

Hennepin is light on the tongue, but the tartness makes my mouth want to pucker a bit. The smell, but prolific, bubbles feel great from the time they touch my lips to the moment they drain down my throat.

The 7.7% abv is what prevents this beer from being a 4 or even 4.5 in drinkability. This beer is easy to drink and not too hard of the wallet, but I'm a light-weight and I always will be so drinking too much of a 7.7% beer is just out of the question for me.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

(Originally reviewed 02/28/2010)

APPEARANCE - Cloudy, Pale, yet the middle of the glass, from top to bottom, it appears to be darker, almost as if a Yuengling was surrounded by a Miller Lite. Pure White head, 1 1/2 fingers up. Carbonated fairly well, bubbles continue to rise to the top

SMELL - Sour, citrus, spice, yeast, alcohol. I think the sour could possibly be some granny smith apples in there.

TASTE - Malty, citrus-acidic, I tend to sense some earthy flavors as well. Maybe even a hint of banana - nothing overpowering or obnoxious, but nice. Slight grapefruit aftertaste, combined with bitterness and dryness.

MOUTHFEEL - Smooth. Carbonation does not interfere with the experience. Definately medium bodied and crisp.

DRINKABILITY - Complex flavors, strength and price make this one a winner. Constructed almost perfectly, delivers powerful product, this was a highly enjoyable experience.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance- Hazy straw colored pour, very thick head. Nice and fluffy but it subsides somewhat rapidly.

Smell- Smells strongly of yeast. Smells a little like it might be ester-y. Its smell is a bit on the funky side but its very light.

Taste- Clearly Belgian. Very complex, I can taste the following flavors in the following order: Ester-y burn that transitions quickly into sweet and yeasty, then... It turns to grass(?) and then to hops.

M- Nice carbonation, a little viscosity. Nothing major.

O- Ðid not know this style a lot until fairly recently. I like them a lot and this is a fair example of the style. In fact, this beer is downright delicious.

Note: Bought as part of the Ommegang christmas gift pack.. Well worth it for the price..

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

My cup runeth over. My label features little famers--Quaker looking folk--in a canoe raising their goblets to the new corn moon. Okay, maybe I'm confusing this beer with a Disney song. But this beauty simply soars. Pale sunset russet on the eye with creamy head buoyant enough to bear fair Aphrodite on its delicate foam. Champange on the nose, but something else too.....something stinky like a soft ripened cheese, but also heavily citrus. Teasingly effervescent with bubbles bursting like ripe muscat grapes on the palate. And then an unexpected aromatic twist--a faintly metallic tang. Light on the tongue, creamy, well done spices. A breathtaking achievement from Cooperstown. Please, Sir, may I have another?

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Surprisingly low aroma. Low head and medium -low carbonation. Refreshing and clean taste with notes of citrus. Quite a good saison.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

This is awesome; i love the citrusy/belgian, but not too sweet thing it's got going. Much more drinkable than a belgian, I think. you could drink a ton of these, and not get tired...but you might fall over, as it's pretty strong. I think the all around drinkability is due to the nice effervensence and citrus taste. good in any weather.

I would have given it all 5's, but I suppose it could be improved...not really sure how.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in my Ommegang glass (almost a tulip)

Aroma: Not a huge aroma overall. Low hop nose with some citrus (orange) and a hint of spice (coriander?). Maybe even a faint floral note?

Appearance: Golden in color with a yellowish-orange tint. Very tall, white head with good retention (slow dissipation) that leaves some trail on the glass. Somewhat cloudy, but rising bubbles are still visible.

Flavor: Crisp citrusy hop flavor with some spice notes (seems to be ginger). Maybe a bit of light maltiness and yeast flavor present? Very slight bit of alcohol in background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a very enjoyable, smooth finish that doesn't linger too long. Enough carbonation to feel it on your tongue.

Overall Impressions: There is quite a bit going on here that I cannot quite put into words (this was one of my early reviews). Very refreshing Belgian that is not too heavy. Gets better as it warms a bit. I could and would drink this beer everyday.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

First of this style for me. I like it....a lot. Clean and tight. A beer I would like to sip floating down the river on an inner tube with one of my old friends. Not an expert on this style so I won't act like it. However I know beer, and this one is real nice boys.

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Serving type: 25oz. Bottle

Smells - oranges, bananas, yeast

Tastes - citrus, pepper, coriander. Alcohol masked completely.

Mouthfeel - Plenty of carbonation. Medium body, a bit higher then I expected.

Overall - Not my favorite saison but still good. Very drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

This is the first Hennepin I've had in quite a while. I used to drink it often before I moved to the bible belt.

Appearance: straw colored, cloudy with an appropriate head for this style. Some lacing.
Smell: Seems right on. Undescribable, but appropriate to style. Smells musty?
Taste: Finishes sweet for a second, then bone dry.
Mouthfeel: Surprisingly full. Coats the tongue
Drinkability: I like it, but certainly not a session beer. Drank it with korean food tonight and it worked pretty well. Most Korean dishes have some sweet and some hot elements, so the sweetness of the beer and the spiciness fit in.

Overall, I will be glad to get the Ommegang line back here in NC. They are really doing fine work up there at Cooperstown. I sure do love their price point, too.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Having been to the Ommegang Brewery (Cooperstown, NY) in the recent past, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised to find all of their products locally, upon returning to Florida.

During our tour, we tried Hennepin and I was impressed. So, I decided to grab a bottle and try it again, at home (standard bottle, pilsner glass).

It poured wonderfully and showed off an impressive yellow/amber color. The head was plentiful and lasted well into the review.

Upon lifting the glass to my nose, the aroma was strong, but pleasant (spicy, citrusy).

Hennepin has a smooth start and a decent amount of cabonation. To me, the spices become more evident in the middle and the finish, but not overly so. All in all, a smooth experience from start to finish.

I have since bought several bottles to keep on hand, and I would definitely recommend this beer to all.

4.11/5  rDev -1%

This is the first Saison Iv'e tried. A 24 oz bottle, drank out of a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color, tons of bubbles, 2 finger head and a meringue top that lasts the whole way.

Smell: Sweet citrus/dry champagne

Taste: Wow. This is tough for me. It's dry, but almost sweet. It sounds contradictory, but it's both.

Mouthfeel: Incredible. For me, perfect carbonation. Again contradiction, very smooth but not.

Drinkability: Drinks easier than beers with lower abv's. I absolutely loved it. One more please.

Overall: For someone who usually sticks to ipa's and such, I'm totally glad that I tried this beer style. I think I may have found a new favorite.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I had been looking for this back in Pennsylvania but finally found it when I was away on vacation in Michigan. I picked up a bottle of this and was very excited to try it; I had heard lots of great things about it.

Appearance: Cloudy and light gold in color, lacing was rather light.

Smell: Citrus (very lemony) and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Hops in the finish, a little bit bready, somewhat sweet as well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, I have my mom a taste of this and she thought it really reminded her of how champagne felt in her mouth (which I would agree with). Fairly light as well.

Drinkability: I liked this beer quite a bit, but I found that I wouldn't be able to drink a whole lot of this in one sitting like I would with some other styles.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang