Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,085 | Hads: 5,593
4.01/5  rDev -4.1%

75dL bottle into an Ommegang holiday pack glass.

This beer was so pretty that I had to stop and take a picture. A beautiful translucent golden color with a billowing white head. The lacing never ends.

This been smells like getting drunk on the bank of the Seine. Or at least that is what my brain is telling me. I don't drink many Saisons, but my first were consumed on a trip to Paris with some buddies. If I was in the fragrance business creating a cologne that smelled like this would be priority number one. The actual scent is grassy with hints of green apples, and maybe a little alcohol underneath.

Very tart, but I wouldn't say sour. It is a light tasting beer. All the scents that I picked up are also present in the taste. My mouth feels clean after each sip. I could probably drink more than a .75L bottle of this is given the opportunity.

Hennepin is light on the tongue, but the tartness makes my mouth want to pucker a bit. The smell, but prolific, bubbles feel great from the time they touch my lips to the moment they drain down my throat.

The 7.7% abv is what prevents this beer from being a 4 or even 4.5 in drinkability. This beer is easy to drink and not too hard of the wallet, but I'm a light-weight and I always will be so drinking too much of a 7.7% beer is just out of the question for me. (1,323 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

(Originally reviewed 02/28/2010)

APPEARANCE - Cloudy, Pale, yet the middle of the glass, from top to bottom, it appears to be darker, almost as if a Yuengling was surrounded by a Miller Lite. Pure White head, 1 1/2 fingers up. Carbonated fairly well, bubbles continue to rise to the top

SMELL - Sour, citrus, spice, yeast, alcohol. I think the sour could possibly be some granny smith apples in there.

TASTE - Malty, citrus-acidic, I tend to sense some earthy flavors as well. Maybe even a hint of banana - nothing overpowering or obnoxious, but nice. Slight grapefruit aftertaste, combined with bitterness and dryness.

MOUTHFEEL - Smooth. Carbonation does not interfere with the experience. Definately medium bodied and crisp.

DRINKABILITY - Complex flavors, strength and price make this one a winner. Constructed almost perfectly, delivers powerful product, this was a highly enjoyable experience. (906 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance- Hazy straw colored pour, very thick head. Nice and fluffy but it subsides somewhat rapidly.

Smell- Smells strongly of yeast. Smells a little like it might be ester-y. Its smell is a bit on the funky side but its very light.

Taste- Clearly Belgian. Very complex, I can taste the following flavors in the following order: Ester-y burn that transitions quickly into sweet and yeasty, then... It turns to grass(?) and then to hops.

M- Nice carbonation, a little viscosity. Nothing major.

O- Ðid not know this style a lot until fairly recently. I like them a lot and this is a fair example of the style. In fact, this beer is downright delicious.

Note: Bought as part of the Ommegang christmas gift pack.. Well worth it for the price.. (749 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This is awesome; i love the citrusy/belgian, but not too sweet thing it's got going. Much more drinkable than a belgian, I think. you could drink a ton of these, and not get tired...but you might fall over, as it's pretty strong. I think the all around drinkability is due to the nice effervensence and citrus taste. good in any weather.

I would have given it all 5's, but I suppose it could be improved...not really sure how. (429 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in my Ommegang glass (almost a tulip)

Aroma: Not a huge aroma overall. Low hop nose with some citrus (orange) and a hint of spice (coriander?). Maybe even a faint floral note?

Appearance: Golden in color with a yellowish-orange tint. Very tall, white head with good retention (slow dissipation) that leaves some trail on the glass. Somewhat cloudy, but rising bubbles are still visible.

Flavor: Crisp citrusy hop flavor with some spice notes (seems to be ginger). Maybe a bit of light maltiness and yeast flavor present? Very slight bit of alcohol in background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a very enjoyable, smooth finish that doesn't linger too long. Enough carbonation to feel it on your tongue.

Overall Impressions: There is quite a bit going on here that I cannot quite put into words (this was one of my early reviews). Very refreshing Belgian that is not too heavy. Gets better as it warms a bit. I could and would drink this beer everyday. (999 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

First of this style for me. I like it....a lot. Clean and tight. A beer I would like to sip floating down the river on an inner tube with one of my old friends. Not an expert on this style so I won't act like it. However I know beer, and this one is real nice boys. (265 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Serving type: 25oz. Bottle

Smells - oranges, bananas, yeast

Tastes - citrus, pepper, coriander. Alcohol masked completely.

Mouthfeel - Plenty of carbonation. Medium body, a bit higher then I expected.

Overall - Not my favorite saison but still good. Very drinkable. (269 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

This is the first Hennepin I've had in quite a while. I used to drink it often before I moved to the bible belt.

Appearance: straw colored, cloudy with an appropriate head for this style. Some lacing.
Smell: Seems right on. Undescribable, but appropriate to style. Smells musty?
Taste: Finishes sweet for a second, then bone dry.
Mouthfeel: Surprisingly full. Coats the tongue
Drinkability: I like it, but certainly not a session beer. Drank it with korean food tonight and it worked pretty well. Most Korean dishes have some sweet and some hot elements, so the sweetness of the beer and the spiciness fit in.

Overall, I will be glad to get the Ommegang line back here in NC. They are really doing fine work up there at Cooperstown. I sure do love their price point, too. (784 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Having been to the Ommegang Brewery (Cooperstown, NY) in the recent past, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised to find all of their products locally, upon returning to Florida.

During our tour, we tried Hennepin and I was impressed. So, I decided to grab a bottle and try it again, at home (standard bottle, pilsner glass).

It poured wonderfully and showed off an impressive yellow/amber color. The head was plentiful and lasted well into the review.

Upon lifting the glass to my nose, the aroma was strong, but pleasant (spicy, citrusy).

Hennepin has a smooth start and a decent amount of cabonation. To me, the spices become more evident in the middle and the finish, but not overly so. All in all, a smooth experience from start to finish.

I have since bought several bottles to keep on hand, and I would definitely recommend this beer to all. (864 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

This is the first Saison Iv'e tried. A 24 oz bottle, drank out of a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color, tons of bubbles, 2 finger head and a meringue top that lasts the whole way.

Smell: Sweet citrus/dry champagne

Taste: Wow. This is tough for me. It's dry, but almost sweet. It sounds contradictory, but it's both.

Mouthfeel: Incredible. For me, perfect carbonation. Again contradiction, very smooth but not.

Drinkability: Drinks easier than beers with lower abv's. I absolutely loved it. One more please.

Overall: For someone who usually sticks to ipa's and such, I'm totally glad that I tried this beer style. I think I may have found a new favorite. (676 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

I had been looking for this back in Pennsylvania but finally found it when I was away on vacation in Michigan. I picked up a bottle of this and was very excited to try it; I had heard lots of great things about it.

Appearance: Cloudy and light gold in color, lacing was rather light.

Smell: Citrus (very lemony) and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Hops in the finish, a little bit bready, somewhat sweet as well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, I have my mom a taste of this and she thought it really reminded her of how champagne felt in her mouth (which I would agree with). Fairly light as well.

Drinkability: I liked this beer quite a bit, but I found that I wouldn't be able to drink a whole lot of this in one sitting like I would with some other styles. (758 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honey malts, grassy and lemon flavors, and an earthy dryness are the signature of this beer. You can also find banana and little clove along with a slight bitterness. The smell is of spicy honey and grain. This cloudy yellow beer beer is one of best in style that I've ever had. (278 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Crisp golden color with just a hint of haze. Pours with several inches of white head that quickly diminishes around the glass but stays peaked in the middle. Very little lacing.

S - Smells sweet, citrusy and yeasty, but is missing a good saison funk.

T - Sweet and spicy up front and finishes dry and peppery with just a slight alcohol taste.

M - A nice medium body with quite a bit of carbonation.

D - I could drink this saison all the time and with Ommegang's great beers being so low priced it's a possibility. (521 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip just now!!! A beautiful 2 finger head that slowly falls leaving perfect lacing. Smell is of grass and earth with some light citrus notes. Taste is unreal!!! So wonderful and crisp and so many complexities. There is a ton of earthy, citrus and funky things going on with this one. I can't imagine a much better Saison than this example. (and it's from NY???) Wow, this is so almost perfect in every way. It hides the 7.7% ABV so well and dare I say, this may be a session beer! Another great job from Ommegang! Crisp, funky, earthy, PERFECT!!! (569 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Cloudy pale yellow with a large 3 finger head.

S: Citrus, alittle acidic, some spices and fruits.

T: Lots of citrus. Alittle sweet but very mellow. Also tastes slightly acidic, but as it warms becomes much more balanced.

M: Medium carbonation

D: Very drinkable, easy to have more than one. Alcohol is well hidden. (321 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark gold, medium sized uneven white head. A lot of bubbles, a lot of carbonation. Has a citrusy smeel, very fresh smellin.g Very rich and foamy mouthfeel, full smooth taste. vey slight bitter aftertaste, pretty sweet taste. nice lacing on the glass. (258 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours a nice amber with a beautiful frothy head.

The smell reminds me of summertime. It's nice and light and citrusy with some yeast funkyness.

The taste is refreshing and spicy and sweet with just a touch of hops to balance it out. Nicely carbonated and each sip begs for another. It's an easy drinker but one that has enough complexity not to get boring.

Overall this is a great saison and a beer that I've gone back to time and again. Another home run for Ommegang. (477 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

poured into Sam Adams tasting glass. The beer has a light straw color with slight haze and light wispy head that disappears fast. There is a pronounced yeasty nose with a hint of lemon and much less sourness than some of this style. There is some tartness and a minor hop finish. Another fine Ommegang. (302 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have to say I love the labels on the Ommegang beers, they are classy and very modern, I dig it.

Slow poured into a tulip glass, mildly cloudy yellow with a persistent bubbly, creamy head. Looks fantastic.

I get strong aromas of grape and banana mostly along with touches of exotic spices, some yeasty notes.

The taste is wonderfully smooth, not overboard with the fruitiness but enough to have an obvious presence. Very crisp tasting beer, finishes well with banana flavors towards the tail end.

Feels like I might as well be drinking champagne. Very elegant beer, would love to try this again. (600 characters)

Serving: 750ml corked bottle served at 45 degrees F.

Appearence: Cloudy golden ale with a long lasting thick head.

Smell: Indecent amount of yeast. Unbelievable amounts of super fresh hops. Smells like bread dough rising, fresh picked hops, & fresh cut lemon grass. Some caramel, nuts, and hops.

Taste: Crisp hops, citrus, pine & crackers. Superbly smooth yet bitter hoppiness. Refreshing carbonation and awesome citrus / piney hops wake up your taste buds on a new level. The hop assault on your tongue lingers on.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, bubbly, awe inspiring crisp bitterness. Thick and juicy.

Drinkability: World class. Its superb by itself I can only imagine how good it will be with food.

This is one of the finest brews I have experienced. Wow you have got to try this one. It satisfies my hop head desires while still preserving the ancient Belgium art of bottle conditioning unfiltered ales with a boat load of living yeast. (935 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -11%

Another installment of my Saison journey.

A - Straw yellow, medium haze, a rather weak head with loose bubbles.

S - Somewhat restrained, a rather rustic graininess, some banana, wet grass, etc. Little funk.

T - Way sweeter than I expected. In fact, a little too sweet. There wasn't a great deal of funky sourness that I've gotten from other saisons and that was a bit disappointing. Light grassiness and banana notes.

M - Too little carbonation for a saison in my opinion, was a bit too cloying in its sweetness.

O - If I'm in the mood for a saison, there are four others that I would choose in front of this one. Just ok. (627 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from bomber into duvel tulip glass

A - pours a cloudy golden yellow with a BIG foamy white head which sticks around fairly well leaving a few areas of lacing

S - light lemon citrus notes, belgian yeast, maltyness, peppery spicyness, ginger

T - big lemon citrus and apple flavors up front followed by a peppery and spicy finish, alcohol is well masked, complex

M - almost a champagne like feel at first with all the carbonation and bright notes which leads into a dry finish, medium to light in body, slight stickyness after several sips, refreshing

D - good drinkability for how complex it is, would be great after a tough day of working outside in the summer.

This is the first beer I've tried from Ommegang. Let's just say I'll be trying the others.... (769 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another hit from ommegang!
they literally know how to hit a "home run" with beer!
My dad went straight there from bhof ..I can see why now.

A-straw like golden with a huge foamy head resembling shaving cream.

S-yeast,cloves,spices,bread...slight funk

T-citrus ,clove,spicy very crisp and well balanced.

M- highly carbonated ,no real funk after tones,dryness..very nice.
I easily downed one in about 2 minutes.

O- this is a uniquely presented brew. although its not a traditional abv or representation of the styles,it is very drinkable and refreshingly smooth.
I always keep this beer in my rotation.
another great thing about this saison is that it seems to age better on shelves.
other saisons have floaties in them sometimes..

purchased at total wine in naples ,florida for 9.99$ for the 4 pk. (806 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ill admit off the bat that I overpoured this (little more foam than I'd like) and I'm not a huge fan of the style. Light in color w white foam. Smell is appealing and complex. Taste many distinct flavors and reminds me of a few belgian ales I have had, still smooth and rich without etoh burn. A very enjoyable beer, might be better on hot summer day vs "winter warmer" (369 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic fantastic beer. Great Saison very light and refreshing beer could enjoy any time of year any time of day fantastic odor and fantastic taste. Has an amazing mouth feel and one of the best farmhouse's I have ever had. Everything I have had at ommegang is amazing and this is no different (295 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang