Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,507 | Reviews: 2,109
3.76/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honey malts, grassy and lemon flavors, and an earthy dryness are the signature of this beer. You can also find banana and little clove along with a slight bitterness. The smell is of spicy honey and grain. This cloudy yellow beer beer is one of best in style that I've ever had.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Crisp golden color with just a hint of haze. Pours with several inches of white head that quickly diminishes around the glass but stays peaked in the middle. Very little lacing.

S - Smells sweet, citrusy and yeasty, but is missing a good saison funk.

T - Sweet and spicy up front and finishes dry and peppery with just a slight alcohol taste.

M - A nice medium body with quite a bit of carbonation.

D - I could drink this saison all the time and with Ommegang's great beers being so low priced it's a possibility.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip just now!!! A beautiful 2 finger head that slowly falls leaving perfect lacing. Smell is of grass and earth with some light citrus notes. Taste is unreal!!! So wonderful and crisp and so many complexities. There is a ton of earthy, citrus and funky things going on with this one. I can't imagine a much better Saison than this example. (and it's from NY???) Wow, this is so almost perfect in every way. It hides the 7.7% ABV so well and dare I say, this may be a session beer! Another great job from Ommegang! Crisp, funky, earthy, PERFECT!!!

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Cloudy pale yellow with a large 3 finger head.

S: Citrus, alittle acidic, some spices and fruits.

T: Lots of citrus. Alittle sweet but very mellow. Also tastes slightly acidic, but as it warms becomes much more balanced.

M: Medium carbonation

D: Very drinkable, easy to have more than one. Alcohol is well hidden.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark gold, medium sized uneven white head. A lot of bubbles, a lot of carbonation. Has a citrusy smeel, very fresh smellin.g Very rich and foamy mouthfeel, full smooth taste. vey slight bitter aftertaste, pretty sweet taste. nice lacing on the glass.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours a nice amber with a beautiful frothy head.

The smell reminds me of summertime. It's nice and light and citrusy with some yeast funkyness.

The taste is refreshing and spicy and sweet with just a touch of hops to balance it out. Nicely carbonated and each sip begs for another. It's an easy drinker but one that has enough complexity not to get boring.

Overall this is a great saison and a beer that I've gone back to time and again. Another home run for Ommegang.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

poured into Sam Adams tasting glass. The beer has a light straw color with slight haze and light wispy head that disappears fast. There is a pronounced yeasty nose with a hint of lemon and much less sourness than some of this style. There is some tartness and a minor hop finish. Another fine Ommegang.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have to say I love the labels on the Ommegang beers, they are classy and very modern, I dig it.

Slow poured into a tulip glass, mildly cloudy yellow with a persistent bubbly, creamy head. Looks fantastic.

I get strong aromas of grape and banana mostly along with touches of exotic spices, some yeasty notes.

The taste is wonderfully smooth, not overboard with the fruitiness but enough to have an obvious presence. Very crisp tasting beer, finishes well with banana flavors towards the tail end.

Feels like I might as well be drinking champagne. Very elegant beer, would love to try this again.

Serving: 750ml corked bottle served at 45 degrees F.

Appearence: Cloudy golden ale with a long lasting thick head.

Smell: Indecent amount of yeast. Unbelievable amounts of super fresh hops. Smells like bread dough rising, fresh picked hops, & fresh cut lemon grass. Some caramel, nuts, and hops.

Taste: Crisp hops, citrus, pine & crackers. Superbly smooth yet bitter hoppiness. Refreshing carbonation and awesome citrus / piney hops wake up your taste buds on a new level. The hop assault on your tongue lingers on.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, bubbly, awe inspiring crisp bitterness. Thick and juicy.

Drinkability: World class. Its superb by itself I can only imagine how good it will be with food.

This is one of the finest brews I have experienced. Wow you have got to try this one. It satisfies my hop head desires while still preserving the ancient Belgium art of bottle conditioning unfiltered ales with a boat load of living yeast.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Another installment of my Saison journey.

A - Straw yellow, medium haze, a rather weak head with loose bubbles.

S - Somewhat restrained, a rather rustic graininess, some banana, wet grass, etc. Little funk.

T - Way sweeter than I expected. In fact, a little too sweet. There wasn't a great deal of funky sourness that I've gotten from other saisons and that was a bit disappointing. Light grassiness and banana notes.

M - Too little carbonation for a saison in my opinion, was a bit too cloying in its sweetness.

O - If I'm in the mood for a saison, there are four others that I would choose in front of this one. Just ok.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from bomber into duvel tulip glass

A - pours a cloudy golden yellow with a BIG foamy white head which sticks around fairly well leaving a few areas of lacing

S - light lemon citrus notes, belgian yeast, maltyness, peppery spicyness, ginger

T - big lemon citrus and apple flavors up front followed by a peppery and spicy finish, alcohol is well masked, complex

M - almost a champagne like feel at first with all the carbonation and bright notes which leads into a dry finish, medium to light in body, slight stickyness after several sips, refreshing

D - good drinkability for how complex it is, would be great after a tough day of working outside in the summer.

This is the first beer I've tried from Ommegang. Let's just say I'll be trying the others....

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another hit from ommegang!
they literally know how to hit a "home run" with beer!
My dad went straight there from bhof ..I can see why now.

A-straw like golden with a huge foamy head resembling shaving cream.

S-yeast,cloves,spices,bread...slight funk

T-citrus ,clove,spicy very crisp and well balanced.

M- highly carbonated ,no real funk after tones,dryness..very nice.
I easily downed one in about 2 minutes.

O- this is a uniquely presented brew. although its not a traditional abv or representation of the styles,it is very drinkable and refreshingly smooth.
I always keep this beer in my rotation.
another great thing about this saison is that it seems to age better on shelves.
other saisons have floaties in them sometimes..

purchased at total wine in naples ,florida for 9.99$ for the 4 pk.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ill admit off the bat that I overpoured this (little more foam than I'd like) and I'm not a huge fan of the style. Light in color w white foam. Smell is appealing and complex. Taste many distinct flavors and reminds me of a few belgian ales I have had, still smooth and rich without etoh burn. A very enjoyable beer, might be better on hot summer day vs "winter warmer"

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic fantastic beer. Great Saison very light and refreshing beer could enjoy any time of year any time of day fantastic odor and fantastic taste. Has an amazing mouth feel and one of the best farmhouse's I have ever had. Everything I have had at ommegang is amazing and this is no different

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Delicious beer, enjoyed out of a bomber. Great nose, crisp hop flavor, and lovely yeast. A lovely change from the IPA slog.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Belgian style ale, but brewed in the states. Hennepin pours a cloudy blonde color with a medium white head laced with carbonation. The taste is light on the hops with clean crisp citrus flavors. The is one of my all time favorites and is hard to believe this is brewed in New York.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great looking beer, with the taste to match. I love the color of this beer. It falls between a sparkling yellow to gold. Pours with a nice foamy white head that simmers down just enough to cover the beer. Smell includes every fruit in the holiday fruit basket...fresh pears and definitely a strong citrus aroma. One of the first Belgians I have had, so the taste was definitely a mystery when the first drop hit my lips. Smooth taste with a sweet aftertaste that is in no way dissatisfying. When I let my girlfriend try it, she thought she was drinking a champagne or sparkling wine. The carbonation is odd, but somewhat refreshing. Definitely a beer that I could have a couple of if it was in the budget.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a brandy snifter. Nice light orange color with a solid two finger orange head. Very good appearance. A strong aroma of hops and fruit. Pleasant to the nose. The taste had a good subtle flavor of the citrusy fruits, mostly orange, and hops but seemed to be lacking a little of something. Mouthfeel was what I was expecting for the style, no residue left behind. Alcohol was high to be overly drinkable and its probably the wrong time of the year for this beer. I will definately be getting this for sipping on the deck next summer.

This was my first saison, it is a style I have just never bothered to try. I will be trying more in the future. This is the second Ommegang beer I have had that didnt live up to its hype. But, in this case, Im not sure there is anything necessarily wrong, I just may not know the style well enough. Yet. Will review my scores after I am more knowledgable.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

An truly excellent beer.

A - Pours a deep orange/gold, with a bit of haze.

S - Belgian-y. Some citrus and spice with yeast/bread.

T - Lovely. Non-IPA style hops lead off with a citrus-spice, transitioning with lively carbonation to a clove/bread mixture, and finishing with just a hint of heat. Also a fair amount of champagne character and flavor. Could do with slightly less clove.

D - With the exception of the aforementioned clove, the drinkability is very high.

Coudy golden-orange, with billowy pure white head that sticks around for the long haul. Beautiful. Spicy banana aromas, very complex. Taste is herbal hops, pepper, clove, banana, candied ginger, caramelized orange rind, pear -- it's all in there! High carbonation creates a playful feeling on the tongue, and balances nicely with the spicy and oh-so-bitter finish. This is a damn good beer.

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a normal pint glass.

A: Pours a pale orange with a fluffy white head.

S: This is my first saison, sour notes and a general "funkyness" stand out, but in a good way.

T: Taste is similar to smell, bready yeast and floral and citrus notes. Strong funkiness prevails as well.

M: Goes down well.

D: Very complex flavors kept me coming back for more. Overall I was not blown away, but did enjoy the beer and style, must revisit in the future.

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy gold with a gigantic white head (pour it into a 16 ounce glass). Smells like yarrow and milkweed, like an overgrown field (typical of saisons). Flavours of coriander, yellow curry, fresh cut grass, booze. You have to like saisons to appreciate this, but it's a good one.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

750 ml bottle poured into a goblet.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I was slightly let down by this ale. Bottle-conditioned, Belgian-style ale brewed in Cooperstown, NY? And one of the "Duvel family" of ales? I wanted to like it--no, LOVE it.

The verdict is in, and I would submit that it's pretty good, but not great. (Disclaimer: This was my first foray into the "saison/farmhouse" type of ale, so I can't relate it to others of the same type.) The bottom line is that the dryness and lemony-ness of this ale are overpowering. Considering the healthy ABV, and the fact that it's a Belgian-type knockoff, I would ask for a little more complexity. This ale has a lot of flavor; it's just not as interesting it could be (kind of like typing in ALL CAPS).

Apparently many other reviewers like it, so it might be at the top of its class for all I know; I can only speak within the limitations of my own experience.

Would I drink it again? Certainly. Would I *buy* it again? Not at that price point--there are better alternatives.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

This brew poured a hazy golden color with a nice white foamy head, with lacing holding on the edges throughout the drinking of it. It smelled of spicy malts with some fruit in the background and maybe a bit of alcohol. It was full bodied with plenty of carbonation. Tastes of spices and citrus dominated this beer, with a nice hoppy finish. Drinkability was very nice and I will definetly be sampling this again.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Look - This beer pours a pale yellow color with some cloudiness and a very think fluffy white head. There are lots of champagne like bubbles that last thru the entire drinking.

Smell - I got some bananas, clove, yeast, fruit and a subtle maltiness and sweetness.

Taste - I found some clove, bananas, spiciness, other fruits and some sweetness on the taste. There is a bit of a bite to it, and you get some alcohol bite to it as well towards the finish.

Feel - A lot of carbonation like champagne. This could be off putting to some, but I enjoyed it. There is not a lot of body, but there is a lot going on in the flavors.

Drinkability - I would rate this beer well on drinkability. With everything going on from smell to flavors, it was really nice. Yes there is a decent amount of alcohol to it, so it is not sessionable, but it was very tasty.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang