Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,541
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

On Tap at a favorite beer bar.

Appearance: Pours somewhat whitish yellow color. Head adheres to the glass.

Smell: A very spicy beer. It has a different type of smell that is remarkably good.

Taste: I was expecting a strong, overpowering taste, but it was very drinkable and satisfying to the taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Smooth all the way. Very light and soft, providing a bit of tingly sensation with every sip.

Drinkability: Alcohol is hardly noticable with exceptional flavor.

This beer was a great find. After attending the Strong Ale fest in San Francisco this year, I really have taken to Strong Ales. I would recommend if you are looking to broaden your beer drinking scope. If you are not comfortable with drinking beer out of a something other than a pint glass, avoid this one. (803 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Tops Liquor near ASU in Tempe.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

Pours an hazy unfiltered gold color with a nice rocky head. The glass I poured it in is great for capturing the scent but hurts lacing, so I won't penalize it for that.

Very interesting smell. I'm new to this style but at first sniff I thought bananas like Hefeweizen. But it has an spicy sort of smell as well.

Taste is fruity and peppery at the same time. Bananas, lemons, and spice. Dry finish and makes my mouth pucker a little.

Mouthfeel is carbonated though I couldn't see the bubbles. Prickly on the tongue and a little bit acidy.

Drinkability is good. I could have several of these. They are very refreshing.

Overall, this was a real treat. It was cool to try a new style and I really liked it. (868 characters)

First pour in a challis. Mammoth head with tons of yeast, pepper and citrus on the nose which I can smell a foot away. Typically cloudy but lighter in color than some other beers in this style.

Very complex. Flavors are all over the place. Savory heat (cilantro or watercress maybe) on the tongue and a bubbly tingle in the mouth. A grainy malt texture blends well with the yeastiness which lingers but doesn't overpower the palate. A superior taste with an even better sensation in the pie hole.

Results from the second pour are almost the same. A little more heat as the beer has warmed up some.

Final pour. I allowed some of the yeast to flow into the glass. I can still taste it after ten minutes. Not the way to go for me. I have tried this before with a 11.2 ounce Belgian blonde and it worked well. So it's the type of beer, temperature or some combination of the two.

Overall I love this beer. It is my favorite saison and one of the best beers I have tried.

Note* I'm not a fan of a big grapefruit presence (probably because I don't like grapefruit) so take this into consideration if you use opinions as a guide. (1,128 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a Bottle that had chilled in the fridge for about an hour. A very hazy deep amber color was present in the glass at first but cleared up some as it sat. The taste is very vibrant in the mouth and consists of several zingy citrus fruits, a light hoppy character in the middle with a reminiscence of wheat grain, and finishes beautifully in a cascade of flavors that dance around the mouth well after swallowing. Personally, not my kind of flavored but a lot of care and attention has clearly been put into the brewing process for this one. (551 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

750ml corked bottle. Color is hazy very light straw.
Nice Saison which is hard to believe it came from the US and not Belgium. Very citrus and orange flavor ale. The carbonation is very good-not too much or little, with a finger size foam lace at the top of a goblet. The mouthfeel is good with very slowly disapating foam. Very easy to drink but has a little alcohol kick to it. You can feel it as you drink (7% ABV) but you really feel it as it hits your head. Some beers have a delayed alcohol reaction-not this one. Don't drink on an empty stomach. This is a great beer to share with friends! My wife even liked it! (621 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

750cl bottle -> chalice

A - Hazy yellow golden brew spreads its way into the chalice creating a beautiful pillowing of ivory head.

S - Spicy! Cloves, citrus, tart, honey...mmmm my mouth waits in excitement.

T - Hazzah! Citrus flavor mixed with a fall spices. Grapefruit and cloves dance their delicous dance across my tongue. Crisp and nice yeast and pepperly finish.

M - Light and crisp...saisons are some of my favorite summer drinks and I remember why.

D - Yessir may I have another? So so delicious and easy to drink. Polished off a bottle with a buddy halfway through "Rescue Me"..so shucks I had to open another. Try this out...especially if you already like Saisons. (691 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful light golden with a nice fluffy white head. Smells a bit of lemon and vanilla with some sourness and overall funkiness to it. The head has fantastic retention with very nice lacing to it. Outstanding flavor with notes of vanilla, lemon, and hay funkiness. There's a pleasant bit of hop bitterness at the end. This is a beer that I think is fantastic, but can't put my finger on why exactly. Does funky lemony vanilla hay sound good? Well no, but drink it sometime and you'll find that it actually tastes fantastic. The beer has such a nice smooth drinkability and alcohol is very well hidden. Highly recommended. (630 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance - Dull golden yellow with a huge sticky white head that leaves it mark as you go.

Smell - Definitely has the saison funk going on. Has a certain spice and medicinal quality to it as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Sweetness and fruits up front but finishes off with the tartness and medicinal qualities you get from the smell, especially as it warms. Light to medium bodied, quite a bit of carbonation keeps the mouthfeel even more refreshing.

Drinkability - Balanced through and through a with the relatively low ABV it certainly makes for a drinkable beer. (564 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

I had several goblet's of this great beer at a local German restaurant several weeks back and I have to say I was very impressed with it (hence the several goblets). I reminded me of my favorite saisons from Saint Somewhere. I would definitely order again when I see it on tap somewhere. (287 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%

Growler Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Translucent gold, with thin white foamy head which dissipates leaving a little lace.

S- Lots of yeast, some citrus notes.

T- Crisp yeasty, bready, earthy, some citrus acidity.

M- Champagne like, quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Pretty standard example of a saison, good but not great. I like this better from a bomber. (359 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - bright, rich golden color. First pour is clear and bright. Pillowy thick white head that lasts and lasts and sticks to side of the glass. Sediment in bottom of 750 ml bottle is consistent with "Bottle Conditioned" notice on label.

Smell - Pear/apple fruit and spice in moderation. Very appealing. Low to no hop aroma.

Taste - Spicy and tart. Pomme fruit, yeast. Slight hop bitterness is very well balanced. Just off-dry impression. Complex. Lingering spicy finish. Alcohol taste evident as it warms.

Mouthfeel - full and lucsious. Quite effervescent. Medium body.

Drinkability - a great ale in the best of the Belgian farmhouse tradition. Where can i get more of these? (686 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

notes from 3-4-09

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip shaped chalice. Appealing cloudy golden yellow with a large frothy head with good retention. Sticky white lacing. Aroma a spicy tartness with a hint of a sour side.

In the taste the sour side becomes more evident reminding one of wine - on the dry side. A moderate bitterness in the aftertaste. Well carbonated with alcohol somewhat apparent. Defiantly a robust body it gives you the idea of Flemish Sour without going completely there.

For me drinkability is moderate. If you would like to acquire the taste of a sour this saison may be a good place to start down that path. Probably best drank in the warmer months. (680 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

I tried this beer out of a 22 oz bottle from Oasis in Spartanburg. The color is kind of hard to describe. Sort of a hazy yellow with huge, bright white head that fades some. Smell is sugar and alcohol with little hops. Taste is sweet and a bit dry. This one is really bubbly, but a very easy drink, espically at 7.7 abv! I was really impressed with this beer and can see why it's one of the best saisons out there! (414 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.9%

Good God this is wonderful.

This is the first Saison Beer I've ever tried. My interest was actually sparked by a list of "50 Beers to try before you die" and it happened to catch my eye at a Whole Foods store.

It pours a glowing light straw color that is just gorgeous. The scent can be enjoyed throughout my entire kitchen and the first taste truly brings this work of art to life.

The flavors of a delicous floral yeast, with citrusy apricot subtleties come alive on my tongue.

This is a beer that should truly be enjoyed by everyone who can get their hands on it. (572 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Looks like it should. Smells like it should. Big foamy head after a smooth pour. Tastes light but is definitely a saison. Good summer time beer for sure. (153 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I consider this the finest product of Ommegang, as I have not yet detected such a masterful balance of spice, malt, aroma, and gaseousness elsewhere in there lineup. Drank out of St. Bernardus chalice/goblet (it doesn't really belong to either at)around 55 deg F.

Appearance: That beautiful belgian blonde. My dreams say it should be a bit more cloudy. Forget that I just squeezed the bottom yeast out of the bottle and there it is.

Smell: Heavenly. Pepper. Citrus. Apricots. Pears. Honey. In that order. A subtlety amazingly combined with the attention-demand of a slap in the face.

Taste: Not much hops, but the spiciness and pleasant fizziness substitute proficiently. A smoooooooooooooth light maltiness fills the middle, and the swallow is followed by a very fun crackling of lace inside your mouth, which doubly serves to release a final bubble of aroma up the back of the throat.

Balance, balance, balance, Daniel-san. Asssertiveness and Lightness, Yin and Yang, Theory and Practice, Black and White, Power and Persuasion. This beer is all of these. (1,069 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Served at 53 degrees

Pouring this beer into a snifter produced a thick, tight head that complemented the hazy gold color of the Saison. Aroma was quite pleasant and familiar. The beer enveloped my mouth upon the first sip as bitter hop and spicy Belgian notes faded into a delicate fruit which lingered but a moment. Despite its 7% level only the slightest suggestion of alcohol mostly via warmth. This beer proved immensely drinkable. (438 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours golden into glass. Nice head, good retention. Nice yeasty esthers on the nose. Taste is marred by high alcohol content - not very balanced. Good carbonation - fit for style. Overall drinkability flawed by lingering alcohol flavor on finish. Not bad - but not balanced enough to be great. (293 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Pale yellow color, with a thick and lasting head. Lace reminds me of great Belgian beers

S - Sweet and malty with some fruitiness

T - Strong sweet alcoholic zip, reminds me greatly of Duvel, with its pale malt flavor and sweet, fruity tang

M - A bit too carbonated for me

O - A beer that truly stands up to its Belgian friends and is definitely one of the better American copies of the genre. (400 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will not be bullied into liking this.

It's fine. I poured from a chilled 750 ml into a pint glass. The pour was lively, color wheat gold, and the head a solid, persistent white. Good quality aromatic hops impart a clean straw bouquet.

Drinking, though, seemed off balance to me. The high alcohol and phenols seemed over-assertive, out of balance with what should be a bright, summertime quaff.

This is my first from Brewery Ommegang. They clearly know their stuff, and I look forward to other items from their portfolio, but I don't think I'll get this one again. (568 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

I had 22-oz bottle poured into large goblet (nothing fancy).

Appearance is a lovely gold. It is too hazy to see objects clearly but can see shapes. Lots of bubbles rising from bottom, even more than 10 minutes after pouring.

The aroma is not strong, but when I smell it it is full of malt, a bit of rising bread, and citrus, primarily orange.

The taste is like the smell with a little hint of pepper, clove and coriander. It finishes very dry and leaves a finish of malt/bread.

The feel is crisp with good carbonation - tiny bubbles like a true champagne. The feel seems just a little thin to me, although I am sure I would not want this to have a mouth-coating syrupy feel either.

I really do like this beer. If my scores seem a little low it may be because I am new to rating things on Beer Advocate so I am trying to leave room at the top end for future reviews. (871 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

poured from cork and cage bottle into Ommegang tulip glass

Appearance: Two fingers of compact white head perch on top of a slightly hazy pale golden beer that tends to straw in strong light. Head dissipates reluctantly and leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma - lilac, clove, pepper, apricot, earth and hop spice all appear at different points in your progress through the glass. Also an occasional whiff of... yes... gasoline, or a sweetness in the nose that reminds one of gasoline. Which is waaay better than it sounds.

Taste - more lilac, spicy hops, marshmallow, malt, apricot and freshly turned earth all underpin a lightly sweet pale malt flavor profile. There's a refreshing dry graininess that recalls a nice Pilsener or Dortmunder which balances out the sweetness and the riot of subtle flavors that present themselves in various combinations as you drink. Highly carbonated, which brings some Champagne-like dry notes to the party.

Mouthfeel - This beer is slightly viscous - a too-warm bottle will be a little cloying and tongue-coating, but at 50-55 degrees it's great. It is possible to wear yourself out on this beer if you let it sit and warm to 70 degrees F.

Drinkability - A compulsively sippable beer, but not exactly sessionable. I want to *quaff* a Czech pils... I want to *consider* a Hennepin carefully, preferably alone and with a nice sourdough and aged cheese. I'm such a fop.

Other stuff: A soft smack of aroma hits the nose as you raise the glass, sometimes pepper, sometimes clove and malt, sometimes lilac, which is something I have never found in any other beer. The flavor changes too as you sip, sometimes earthy and sometimes sweet, while the heavy carbonation scrubs your tongue and brings more aromas through the back of your throat. After swallowing, the aroma stays and stays on the nose while the aftertaste lingers and changes on the tongue, as malt fades into hop bitterness and then a long finish of peppery spice and floral hops. When you get a well-handled bottle, this beer is a real treat.

Absolutely one of my favorite Saisons, and one of my all-time favorites of any style. (2,125 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

A - golden color with ample amount of carbonation

S - anise, honey, fruity, floral

T - not sweet; a little sour taste and bitterness; can taste the floral esters at first, but those quickly disappear

I haven't tried many Belgium-style beers before so wanted to give this a shot. It's a good beer, but I'm not a fan. (318 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Apearance: Cloudy and dim, this banana yellow brew formed a huge snow-white head even though I poured it very gently. Generous lacing forms as the head quickly dissipates, leaving a half-finger head that remains throughout.

Smell: Very spicy on the nose. Fruitiness permeates and makes it a very prominent smell of the brew. Also present is a strong yeast aroma.

Taste: It is a quite tasty beer. The citrus present in the nose shines here. It's somewhat spicy, earthy, yeasty, fruity. The relatively dry finish is very manageable and rounds the brew out quite well. The taste pleasantly lingers.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and extremely well carbonated. It goes down easy. I could imagine coming in from a hot day of working out in the yard and being perfectly refreshed by this Saison. (787 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - dark golden and hazy in color. The head was
Smell - initial sweet fruit mixed with yeast aroma that gave way to subtle hints its of floral hops.
Taste - medium intensity with a sweet finish. Carbonation remained consistent throughout drinking. It ended with a drying mouth feel. (292 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang