Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
TheZzyzxScarecrow

05-08-2013 12:57:10 | More by TheZzyzxScarecrow
ColForbin

New Hampshire

4.7/5  rDev +13%

I'm drinking the first release of cave aged Hennepin from 2001, bottle #2825 of 3360 in celebration of the birth of my beautiful daughter Sadie.

The cork was very hard to get out, but when it went it went with an audible pop. It pours a golden orange with a huge white head that fades to a 0.5cm coating on the top of the beer. The aroma is floral, spicy (coriander and clove) with strong hints of orange peel. Taste is spicy, slightly sour, hoppy and pergaps a bit of clover honey. Slightly slick mouthfeel, with a warming alcohol finish. Extremely smooth and drinkable, and seems to have mellowed with its time in the cave and the cellar. A great celebratory drink and if you can find the 2001 edition, you'll be happy you did.

12-10-2004 01:07:37 | More by ColForbin
stevecooks

12-08-2011 19:50:43 | More by stevecooks
maddamish

Tennessee

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

My first review of this beer was written when I was just getting into craft beer. I remember the beer being a bit too much for me then thus the less than stellar review. I was able to revisit this gem when it I was it on tap at my local beer bar. I have to say that this is great on tap.

Taste: Spiced banana, clove and wheat notes. I could really sit and drink this all day. I have to say this is one of the better tasting beers I have had in awhile.

Smell: Banana and citrus notes. Slight wheat presence.

Ap: A clear light gold. The head disappeared quickly and there was hardly any lacing.

Verdict: I take back my comments that this isn't a top 100 beer. This beer deserves all the praises it should get.

07-11-2006 00:04:27 | More by maddamish
timbro81

Oklahoma

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to julian for the opportunity. Pours a soft hazy straw yellow color. Nice lumpy head that is fed by a very lively amount of carbonation. Smells of earthy, grassy malts, soft spicey hops in there for balance. Some booziness is also noted in the aroma. Light mouth feel that is alive with carbonation. Lemony fruity esters mingle with a light malty sweetness, hops, and some pepper balance everything out near the end. Finish is dry but tends to have a stale grainy essence.

07-07-2008 00:40:35 | More by timbro81
tikk

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

06-21-2014 16:19:09 | More by tikk
mfunk9786

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

I've had quite a few saisons, mostly ones brewed in America. But as all Ommegang beers are, this is an American-brewed Belgian beer, right down to having been stocked in the foreign section of my local Wegmans. It's going to stay true to the Belgian saison style, which is completely new to me.

A: Beautiful. Quite a bit of frothy white head, and a light yellow hazy body that's to die for. If I could compare it to other saisons I've had, I'd just observe that it's a lot lighter and fluffier than usual.

S: Smells of very sweet Belgian yeast. Quite a bit of zesty, spicy citrus as well. Lovely.

T: Is this what a saison is supposed to be? The only reason I'm giving this category a 3.5 is because I'm rather puzzled by the lack of lemon and pepper character. It tastes like a slightly lemony Belgian pale, it certainly isn't as whizz-bang as some other artisianal American saisons I've had. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it's just underwhelming me for the style. Certainly no farmhouse funk that I've become accustomed to with this style, either. Lovely, but rather mild.

M: Light, effervescent carbonation, begins a bit syrupy with a dry finish. A nice substitute for champagne on a special occasion.

D: Very dry, but certainly could drink a couple of 12 oz bottles of these in a night. Not so sure how sessionable it is, considering the sweetness that lingers on the tongue.

Perhaps I should buy some saisons that are actually brewed in Belgium and do some comparing. But I was certainly surprised by the restraint of my first beer of this style.

09-12-2010 01:59:04 | More by mfunk9786
Chelsea1905

Washington

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Very enjoyable.

Pours a nice straw yellow with the tulip getting slighty darker toward the top

Smells a little "pilsnerish" and yet there is some delicious spices and fruit notes in the back

Really like the taste, nice and warm with a load of sourish taste upfront that subsides into warm straw like mlltiness folowing

Light and bubbly

the 7.7% is well hidden, but this bomber isn't lasting long

Thanks

Scott

09-25-2010 02:53:03 | More by Chelsea1905
stingrayvr6

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Had on tap at Local 44 in Philly. Poured a golden wheat color with a light white head. Smell was very yeasty and citrusy with some oils of hops. taste was similar, super smooth and full, mellow yeast then the light bite of the hops. Very balanced, great beer. Have a bomber of this which I'll open in a few months.

05-07-2009 18:08:13 | More by stingrayvr6

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

07-06-2012 17:57:25 | More by pentasyllabic
1000lbgrizzly

3.95/5  rDev -5%

A: Pale orange with a moderate off-white head that fades but leaves a thin cover in the middle and around the edges and in the lacing. Wafts of carbonation with loose bubbles surrounding it.

S: Surprising for my expectations; a little skunky, with hints of corn and yeast funk, not unlike beers seen at frat parties. Some fruit esters underneath it all; passionfruit, peach, lemon peel. Good saison character.

T: Great improvement from the smell. Orange and lemon peels, mild malt, a bit of wheat and funk. Ever so slightly sweet, manifesting as honey. Quick finish, with added strawberry hints, but I can't expect a beer this light-feeling to stick around for long. Oh well, guess I'll have to sip it again.

M: Light and highly carbonated, super refreshing. Just what I was looking for.

O: A very refreshing Saison, exactly what I wanted on a hot night like tonight. The flavors could be a bit stronger, but none of them were bad. A good brew that suits the style well, but I can find less expensive beers with as much flavor to cool me off.

Serving type: growler

07-19-2013 04:29:15 | More by 1000lbgrizzly
apintofknowledge

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Ahh, near perfection in my glass... this is just one of those beers that you can drink all night long and never be bored by. Crisp and light, mild fruit (pears and apples) with subtle spice, clean and smooth. Very nice carbonation as well... not overly carbonated, but just enough to be refreshing. No odd flavors, nothing to make you go "wow!" or "huh?", just an extremely well crafted beer that reminds you that great beer doesn't have to be anything extreme (not that there's anything wrong with extreme beers, and I enjoy my fair share, but Hennepin proves that simple and well-balanced doesn't have to mean boring).

01-30-2005 23:37:47 | More by apintofknowledge
meatmallet

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: Hazy and golden yellow with a huge frothy white head.

Smell: Grass, hopps, and lemon. Yeastie and sweet but very light.

Taste: Not as sweet like I thought it would be. Kind of earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. More citrus than anything.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Highly carbonated and medium bodied. Not bad but I dont think it is the world beater some people do.

03-14-2009 01:48:50 | More by meatmallet

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

06-29-2014 22:27:18 | More by LADYBEAST
bierman2000

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

astringent and quite hoppy saison.. has a nice mouthfeel and is straw colored.. alcohol is quite present in this light colored but nice bodied ale..excellent sumer quencher with fruity notes and lots of carbonation.. smooth and filling, yet highly drinkable.

04-19-2006 00:02:22 | More by bierman2000
Chadbrew

Delaware

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

The style description inspired me to pick this up. Beautiful packaging, corked and caged and a few facts about the beer and the brewer.
Golden color up against the light. Fluffy little head that's off-white with tan and yellow dimples.
Smell - Wow! Very fruity and sweet but balanced with a great hit of yeast and malt. I smell raisins and bananas, yum.
It tastes very unlike anything I've had so far. It's sharp and flavorful, full of fruit and malt.
Mouthfeel - good full body and a sweet syrupy finish. I feel like I'm eating more than drinking it.

Note - I've tried a couple of Belgian style beers in the past and never been impressed... this has changed my opinion. This may be my favorite beer to date. If you try this beer do yourself a favor and pick up more than one.

03-29-2005 00:12:11 | More by Chadbrew
JTSbeerislife

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz. bottle Poured into a Duvel Tulip tasting glass with nucleation etching on bottom, great glass!

A: Beautiful golden pale yellow. Poured a nice thick 3/8" head with excellent retention

S: Wonderful fresh yeast and crushed spices. It smells "alive", even though from a bottle it smells like it just came from the tap

T: Big rush of delicious yeast infused carbonation. This is so typical of the style and I find this very enjoyable. Some hop character but in no way "piney". It definately has it's own character, more of a citrus experience. Hint of lemon and spices. Quite full bodied due to ABV which gives this a wonderful balanced flavor and full mouthfeel. Long lingering finish of yeast, lemon, spices.

O: Well I have to say this is one of the best Saison's I have tried and I have tried many. True to type. Did I mention that this beer is just spot on delicious!

05-15-2011 01:10:18 | More by JTSbeerislife