Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,541
4.41/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a lightly hazy blondish ale with a towering foam head that eventually fades with heavy lacing on the glass sides. Smells of coriander, some sweet orange. Spicy phenolics and spicy esters. Tastes dry and spritzy with an even bitterness firm yet not too assertive. Spiciness from yeast coats the tongue. Drinks easy, dry, medium light. Excellent beer. Seems like it came straight from Belgium. Glad to have this brewery in the States. (438 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Brewery Ommegang's Hennepin last month for $3.45 at Boyne Country Provisions. It's another warm night in Mid Michigan and a Saison sounds pretty good right now, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on October 12, 2012.. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice simple look to it and I think it looks better than the old label. It poured a cloudy straw yellow color that took on a slight golden hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This is a good looking Saison, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher medium amount of sweetness that had a slight honey aroma to it and was followed by some Belgian yeast that imparts a medium amount of clove and banana aromas. Up next comes some a lighter amount of grainy and bready malts followed by lots of nice citrus aromas with lemons and citrus rind sticking out the most with some typical spicy Saison aromas in the background. I thought the aroma was pretty damn good and very true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of citrus flavors with with lemons and citrus rinds still sticking out the most followed by some Belgian yeast that imparts some banana and clove flavors. Up next comes some spicy Saison flavors with a light Farmhouse flavor imparting a slight straw like flavor. On the finish there's a lighter amount of medium bitterness with an earthy, citrus and spicy aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Saison, but i wish the Farmhouse aspect came out a little more.

M- Pretty smooth, very crisp, clean, fairly prickly, dry, medium bodied, with a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and true to style, but I thought it was a little prickly.

Overall I thought this was pretty good beer and a very good example of the style, it had all the aspects that I look for in this style and I think it's pretty close to being as good as Saison Dupont which is my favorite of the style and I think I will have to try the two side by side to really find out which one I prefer. This beer had great drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, pretty refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these easily, I think it's a great summertime Saison. What I like the most about this beer was the how true to style it was, it had pretty much everything that I look for in a good Saison. What I liked the least about this beer was the how little the farmhouse aspect showed up, i wouldn't mind if it imparted a little more funk and typical Farmhouse flavors. I would buy this beer again when looking for a nice Saison, it's a little pricey but it is cheaper than Saison Dupont, but I don't think I would buy this all the time. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Saisons. All in All i was pretty impressed with this beer, I wasn't so impressed with their Belgian Pale Ale, but this beer turned out pretty damn good and I'm now a little more interested in checking out more of Brewery Ommegang's Lineup. Good job guys, I really enjoyed this Saison. (3,303 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very light golden yellow with a significant amount of carbonation, like champagne but a little more yellow. Very full bubbly head, could not pour the full bottle into my pint glass.

Smell: Having a hard time articulating the smell. Bit peppery/spicy I suppose. Bottle says coriander but I'm not sure I know what coriander smells like, this might be it.

Taste: Definitely tastes like a farmhouse saison. Slight bitterness and a lot of fragrant earthy spices.

Mouthfeel: Very light and pleasant, probably the best part of the beer. High carbonation lightens even further. Very smooth, not dry. The spices are very evident in the aftertaste.

Overall: I've only had a couple of these farmhouse saisons but I really enjoyed this. Just a bubbly tasty beer. (766 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to snifter.

A - Cloudy bright yellow with two fingers of white head that slowly reduced to a thin layer.

S - Clove and banana notes dominate with citrus, breadiness and spice.

T - Clove and peppery spice notes hit the tongue first, followed by a big bready sweetness, coriander and banana. The finish has a burst of citrus with a lingering orange zest flavour.

M - Light body with some chew. Dry. Moderate carbonation. (433 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Vibrant golden orange with a 2.5 finger head that only sticks around for a bit. A ring of foam continues to see this drink through

S- Smells of citrus, coriander, apples, pears, sweet pale malts, cracker bread, hay, and phenolic spices. Fruity, yet musky.

T- All the wonderful qualities the aroma brought, but then kicks them all up a notch. Smooth, mellow, full flavored. Its not overly complex, but the way the layers of flavor bring together the sweetness, spice, tart, citrus hops, and phenols works so well. A touch of cracker dryness from the yeast as well as some clove. Not as much "funk" as others of the style, but I prefer the subtle Belgian yeast.

M- Light, crisp, refreshing. Smooth with no bitterness. Carbonation is spot on as it creates a tingling effect as though it is dancing on your tongue. The beauty of this one is how it makes you yearn for more. So drinkable.

O- One of my favorite saisons. It is difficult to beat the price and availability of such a fantastic representation of the style. Ommegang makes it look almost easy here. Maybe the best year round saison IMO. (1,101 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Hazy deep straw color with a lot of orange to it. Bright white 1-finger head with medium retention and light lacing in the glass.

Kind of funky on the nose in a good way: orange peel, lemon zest, coriander, grain, mint, white flowers and the thread of a light sour lactic note that pulls through everything.

Old world feel from the new world with a light hop funk, white pepper, earthiness, white flowers and celery seed. Light bitterness allows the palate to keep deep earthy tones and still feel clean on the finish.

Medium bodied. The carbonation is a little aggressive in the mouthfeel, giving the beer a slightly frothy texture. A very faint hint of alcohol on the finish.

Nicely done. Surprised that the carbonation was as aggressive as it was on the palate based on the appearance, but there are several things going on with the beer. Solid execution of the style. (875 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Serving type: 25oz. Bottle

Smells - oranges, bananas, yeast

Tastes - citrus, pepper, coriander. Alcohol masked completely.

Mouthfeel - Plenty of carbonation. Medium body, a bit higher then I expected.

Overall - Not my favorite saison but still good. Very drinkable. (269 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A: Hazy straw color; a big, thick, bubbly white head lasting for a long time leaving lots of lacing as it falls.

S: That big Belgian nose, yeasty and bready, lemon, spicy notes (a bit of pepper).

T: All those wonderful Belgian flavors, yeasty with a touch of malt in the background, spicy notes (pepper and coriander), lemon zest, some tart citrus. Some slight bittering hops drying the finish out.

M: Medium body, smooth, round, and full; lots of carbonation.

O: A great balanced beer with an awesome appearance and small…and it tastes great. Lotas of yeasty flavor balanced with a mild backbone and a pleasant dry finish. (685 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

750mL bottle into a Teku
no bottling dates

A: Pours a slightly hazy, urine yellow with 3plus fingers width of bright white head. Head has good retention and leaves a moderate amount of patchy lacing.

S: Spicy and yeasty, like a Belgium strong pale or tripel. Clove, pepper, and nutmeg. Coriander and grains of paradise. Faint citrus notes, and a floral, almost sage-like character.

T: Spicy like the nose, along with some sweet fruit notes. Clove and ginger. Grains of paradise and orange citrus. There is some funk as well that I didnt really pick up on in the nose. Vanilla, as if from an oak barrel, in the aftertaste. The funk builds as you drink, and reminds you that you are drinking a saison.

M/D: Medium body, very heavy carbonation, ABV completely masked. Drinkability is somewhat limited because the carbonation is so high, but a nice mouthfeel.

O: This is the standard of the style in the eyes of many people, and I see why. Hits all the notes that a Saison should. Personally, I prefer my Saisons with some tartness, and Fantome is still the epitome of the Saison to me. This is a great beer though. Deserving of the Beers of Fame list. (1,157 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Notes from Sunday Aug 04 2012

Cloudy golden yellow pour. Large foamy head, have patience when pouring.

Smells yeasty, tannic, lemon-pepper spice, apricot, clove and malt.

Light malt citrus flavor followed by a lingering lemon pepper spice and yeast.

Loads of carbonation, dry crisp finish.

My lawn tractor is broke and my .75 acre lawn is six inches long. Borrowing my neighbors lawn mower with a broken drive, I had to push. Temp was apx 85 F and sunny. I was really looking forward to this after mowing feeling like a farm laborer. Man, this hit the spot and was ever so refreshing. Thoughts kept going towards how this really compares to Saison Dupont, my first saison. I just love a beckoning saison like this on warmer summer sunny days-good memories to have. (769 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a hazy golden with a billowing ivory head that lingers indefinitely.

Notes of pear, clove, banana, coriander, bruised apples, and flowers form the initial aroma. Very strong. Musty, earthy scents complement horse blanket, orange peel, and perfume.

Flavor reveals more barnyard funk, with an earthy, slightly bready backbone, finishing a touch dry, slightly bitter, and peppery. Citrusy underpinnings of lemon and muted orange are countered by spicy clove and white pepper. Banana esters are subtle. Pear really dominates.

Body is moderate and creamy, with high, effervescent carbonation that lifts the flavor from the palate, hiding the high abv well.

Very flavorful example of the style. Not a fan of banana esters, and this isn't my favorite style, but a refreshing beer. Plasticy phenols were a bit of a turnoff, too. While I'm complaining,I find the carbonation to be too high. (891 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-pours a hazy straw yellow color with a foamy white head that leaves very nice lacing
S-spicy, banana, clove, some straw/barnyard smell
T-more banana and white fruit mixed with spices.
M-medium bodied while maintaining a nice crisp characteristic
O-very refreshing and drinkable for the abv. I'm not saison expert but this is a very solid beer. Highly recommend (363 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

I must have gotten a bad 4-pack because this was really alcoholic smelling and tasting. Didn't have any of the subtlety I remember (tho' I must confess it's probably been a few years since I've had this beer). Boozy! And so overcarbed it was impossible to pour well... (268 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ommegang Hennepin has a rather thin, fizzy, root beer-like, off-white head and a hazy, extremely bubbly, lemon-yellow appearance, with some lacing left behind. This beer clouds up, once the bottom caked brown substance is swished loose and poured in. The aroma is of citrus zest, sugar, biscuit, spices, and candy, and the flavor is of all that, with some mellow bitterness detected in the background. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly, and Ommegang Hennepin finishes champagne dry, refreshing, lively, and very drinkable for a 7%+ alcohol beer. Overall, it’s really wonderful, and I score it most excellent. I would like to try a stripped-down version, without the spices to see how it holds up.

RJT (702 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy gold color with a thick white head that leaves heavy lacing and sticks around.

Smells-yeast, banana, clove, citrus

Tastes- Fruity (banana, pineapple, citrus) yeast and spices (clove mostly). Very nice beer. Very balanced.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp and refreshing

Overall- I love saisons and this is a decent one. Definitely worth a try. (347 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pale, hazy yellow color with a fluffy white head that nearly overran my glass. Aroma is both fruity and earthy. Very crisp on the tongue. Almost to the point of being sharp. Honey, ginger, orange, coriander, with earthy malt and hops. Finishes on the dry side. Just a little bit of funk from yeast at the end. That last sip was almost like an apple wine.

Amazing flavor, complexity, and balance. Wonderful (406 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Translucent golden straw-colored. The beer itself is bright. Masive frothy head but it doesn't stick around for long. Just a thin bubbly rim and some patchy head in the middle. Lots of little bubbles. Looks very inviting

Smells grainy. There is a lot of coriander and/or orange zest in here. The grains of paradise aroma is evident - anyone who has had a sam adams will recognize it. There is a funky Belgian yeast smell too characteristic of the style but not as much as I would have expected

The taste is very funky. Earthy grainy tones form the backbone of this one. There is some sweet ginger and orange. I taste some hay and grass. Not so much spicy as zesty. Citrusy. Lingering yeasty aftertaste is slightly weizen-like (banana and clove)

Feels crisp and biting. I feel like the carbonation makes the tongue tingle more than the spiciness but either way this is a lively brew.

Overall a great saison. Rustic yet elegant. Crisp and refreshing. Lots of flavor. A great package and well worth the price (1,010 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

PKG ON 04/19/13
BEST BY 04/20/2015

A: Clear, golden-yellow with a massive, foamy, bright white head. One of the most aggressive heads I've ever witnessed.

S: This one is all yeast, barn, and funk.

T: Same as the nose. Lots of flavor but it's limited to funk and some farmhouse qualities.

M: Smooth and delicious but surprisingly boozy.

O: Great beer and on point for a farmhouse but not as great as I expected. (415 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish/yellow; big frothy head, long lasting, good lacing (after accidental aggressive pour)

Smell: Peppery; cloves; citrusy; good European ale yeast smell; I love this beer aroma type

Taste: Good malt, cloves and citrus on the start; sweet in the mid with a semi-sweet peppery finish; hoppy dryness lingers in the aftertaste; excellent overall

Mouthfeel: Juicy and slightly creamy (406 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

First of this style for me. I like it....a lot. Clean and tight. A beer I would like to sip floating down the river on an inner tube with one of my old friends. Not an expert on this style so I won't act like it. However I know beer, and this one is real nice boys. (265 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic Saison. Poured with a very nice pure white head, golden below. Very drinkable and good lacing. Aroma is top notch, my favorite part of this beer with the spices coming through. Definite citrus notes with wonderful warm spices coming through. (251 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pale orange with a moderate off-white head that fades but leaves a thin cover in the middle and around the edges and in the lacing. Wafts of carbonation with loose bubbles surrounding it.

S: Surprising for my expectations; a little skunky, with hints of corn and yeast funk, not unlike beers seen at frat parties. Some fruit esters underneath it all; passionfruit, peach, lemon peel. Good saison character.

T: Great improvement from the smell. Orange and lemon peels, mild malt, a bit of wheat and funk. Ever so slightly sweet, manifesting as honey. Quick finish, with added strawberry hints, but I can't expect a beer this light-feeling to stick around for long. Oh well, guess I'll have to sip it again.

M: Light and highly carbonated, super refreshing. Just what I was looking for.

O: A very refreshing Saison, exactly what I wanted on a hot night like tonight. The flavors could be a bit stronger, but none of them were bad. A good brew that suits the style well, but I can find less expensive beers with as much flavor to cool me off. (1,047 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours a nice amber with a beautiful frothy head.

The smell reminds me of summertime. It's nice and light and citrusy with some yeast funkyness.

The taste is refreshing and spicy and sweet with just a touch of hops to balance it out. Nicely carbonated and each sip begs for another. It's an easy drinker but one that has enough complexity not to get boring.

Overall this is a great saison and a beer that I've gone back to time and again. Another home run for Ommegang. (477 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really like Ommegang's packaging and labelling, which is attractive and announces a quality product. And I enjoyed my sampling of their Three Philosophers at the Green River Brewfest in June. So ready to give more of their line a try.

Poured into a tulip glass from the 12 oz. bottle. Bottling date smeared but looks like it might be 2/25/12. So not so fresh, although it has a "Best by" of something something 2014.

Translucent amber topped by a finger thick white head which receded to an even white surface foam film and thick even lacing. I had poured directly down into the glass as usual, instead of slowly as the label instructed. Oops. So I got the yeast sediments, which no doubt affected the taste.

s: Ripe fruit

t: Soap and mild ripe fruit.

m: Smoothly light to moderate, leaning to moderate.

o: The label says it should be hoppy but it's not so much. Does not taste as fruity as drinking proceeds. Nearing the finish line, smoothness stands out and it's quite decent.

This experience has not daunted me to try the many other Ommegang offerings, or even a fresher example of Hennepin. (1,107 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

From: Binny's, Bloomingdale, IL
Date: Best by 9/2014
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

Hennepin has long been a favorite saison, and I was glad to have a bottle to review. It was interesting to compare this to Boulevard's Tank 7, which I had the ability to try earlier in the day. Though likely using the same or similar yeast strains, the breweries produce two very different beers. Ommegang gives us a yeast, herb, and spice-forward saison, full of rich and hearty flavors, whereas the Boulevard was brighter, hoppier, and less dense. Hennepin is thus perhaps suited for cooler days, despite it's lower ABV, as the richer, heavier flavors seem more suited to this.

Pours a tall, voluminous head (~4cm) of fairly clean, white foam, made up of very small bubbles, leading to a frothy appearance. Retention is excellent, lasting several minutes in a slow decline to a 0.5cm cap atop the body of the beer. Lacing is similarly superb, thick clumps and webs cling to the insides of the glass. Body is a bright golden yellow color, hazy (50-60% opaque), light bringing out significantly paler golden yellow hues. Carbonation is readily visible, moderate in number and fairly vigorous in activity.

Aroma of yeast, dried lemon and orange peel, with lesser banana, mustiness, modest phenolics (spicy and marginally clove-like), and when warm, green apple.

Front of palate yields a very rich, hearty flavor, with pale malt sweetness, robust Belgian yeast, banana-like esters, mild mustiness, coriander, slight vanilla, and a light orange and lemon peel character. Mid-palate continues with hearty yeast flavors, banana-like esters, along with slightly peppery and lemony grains of paradise, slightly spicy Belgian yeast-produced phenols, slight mustiness, coriander, mild orange and lemon peel, and a pleasantly sweet pale malt backbone. Back of palate features increased grains of paradise (peppery, vague lemon) and Belgian yeast phenols (spicy, sharp) with notable banana ester, a dash of pineapple, and faint mustiness. Aftertaste is superb, with Belgian yeast, banana, pineapple and lightly sweet pale malts joining everything together.

Beer is medium to medium-light in body, with carbonation of medium intensity, leading to a slightly fizzy, though never prickly or painful, mouthfeel that settles into a thin blanket of foam on the tongue. Closes fairly dry, with little residual stickiness on the palate. (2,406 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang