Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,094 | Hads: 5,633
4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Hazy pale orange with a decent off-white head that dissipates. Good carbonation. Spicy yeasty Belgian aroma; light alcohol notes and citrusy tones also. Spicy and citrusy (grapefruit ?) taste with a light alcohol finish. Medium bodied and smooth with a strong spicy finish.

A nice, yet spicy/yeasty, intro to Belgian beers.

Label states: "Belgian Style Ale" & " Bottle Conditioned" & "Grisette Farmhouse Ale"

Aged (2 years maybe)
Tasted: 07/11/03

($3.99 / 25.4 oz / 750 ml Corked bottle)

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I can't believe this is an American brewed Belgian. It's better than most Belgians from Belgium! Very complex in taste. I note a sweet fruity wine taste to it that all ommegang products seem to portray. There's also some peppery spice that brings a slight alcohol taste with it. Further along I notice honey and more spices. Great mixture of sweet and spices. No bitterness here. Finishes light and dry but has an alcoholic kick to it that I liked. The best Ommegang product. This is an amazing brew, one of the best for it's price.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Actually got the last Hennepin in an 11oz bottle at a local liquor store for 50 cents. Seems there's no longer a distributor here in SoCal (correct me if I'm wrong, please) so I snapped up the last one. Glad I did.

Appearance: hazy orangish body with a white creamy head that slowly faded to a thin cap. Left nice lace behind.

Smell: immediately noted a spicy peppery aroma with a faint banana scent on the fringes. Soft alcohol smell in there too.

Taste: picked up a sweet/sour combination of peppery spices and vague apple taste, almost like a tart apple. Good little shot of an astringent alcohol kick at the finish.

Feel: Starts off smoothly and finishes very dry and crisp.

Drinkability: delicious almost to a fault. Wonderful mix of tastes and 11oz bottles could have you hammered in short order as you quickly quaff this outstanding beer. Now I've got to try to find more.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Luminescent golden body topped by a rather thin white head, but the head shows decent retention and slowly fades to a thin collar. The aroma is very sweet, but then has an intriguing herbal smell as well. Hard for me to place the individual components, but it is very enticing. The taste is not neraly as sweet as the aroma insinuates. It has a nice grassy hop component, atop decent malt that just seems to stay out of the way. The finish is slightly bitter, but has a strange complexity. The spices bring to mind homemade chicken soup, as they did on the nose (I just thought it odd to mention at the time.) It has a very dry finish, that is slightly smoky or something. I can almost guarantee this would go well with roasted chicken or turkey. The mouthfeel is light and airy, but doesn't leave me feeling like something is missing. The drinkability is very good. I think this is an ideal dinner drink for poultry, and less of an everyday drinker. This may find it's way to my Thanksgiving table. A very enjoyable beer that seems part wine, part beer.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

Nice golden-yellow color. Pours with a nice foamy head that laces quite well. Taste is definitely Belgian, complex and rich. Deviliously delicious with a wide-ranged palate of flavors, a little spice, a faint hint of banana. Will return to this one time after time...

Appearance: A cloudy, dull golden/orange pour with a livley and constantly present head.

Smell: The nose is exploding with aromas. Big rich maltiness up front highlighted with a fudge-like sweetness. A mix of spicey & fruity hints as well.

Taste: Extraordinary! Layers and layers of complex flavours in this beer. Instant sweetness up front that reminds me of honey and brown sugar. Peppery spice and earthy qualities follow and a big rich maltiness give the beer generous body. A medicinal, alcohol kick towards the finish that carries a woody, sweet n' sour taste along with it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and rich at first. Crisp and dry towards the finish.

Drinkability: I absolutley loved this beer. One was just not enough for me.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

Hazy pour with a formidable off-white head. Clean, crisp grain smell dominates the nose and is complemented by an interesting cinnamon-like spiciness. Those scents carry over nicely to the taste, which is characterized by a good combination of sweet, crisp grains and a spicy bite of clove. Eventually fades to a warm finish. Good, clean mouthfeel. Once the novelty of this refreshing offering wears, you are left with a good but not great pale ale.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

This pours a cloudy and somewhat subdued yellow. It creates a thick rocky head with big, fat bubbles popping all over. Haven't really seen that before, kinda different. After settling, there is a thin wisp of yeast sediment in the glass bottom.

Aroma is yeasty, musty, sweaty...no wait that's me.
I get a very snappy yeast aroma dominating. At first it's kind of difficult to get past that, my nose just wants to be lazy and be satisfied with that yeasty Belgian smell. Focusing in, getting past that, I am rewarded with some notable banana and clove smells. I like.

Fairly average malt taste at first, but before I go thinking this one is overrated, the fun begins. Very bubbly, approaching the likes of champagne. Develops very nicely into some yeasty, bready flavors, just a bit of sourness in there, too. As the fluid clears from the mouth, that's where it's easiest to detect the above normal alcohol level. A no-brainer as it warms up, there's no hiding it. That vapory, estery mouthfeel gives way to some citrusy, lemony notes. Perhaps a little hop action there? As the mouth dries out, that lemony taste further develops into a grapefruit-like aftertaste. Cold, it also gives a warming feeling in the throat, your 2nd Notice that you'd be well advised to drink these slowly. Not as warming as it warms up, odd how that seems to be in reverse for me. Also, either as it warms or as I get closer to the bottom (higher concentration of yeast?), the aftertaste has a trace sugar mouthfeel, like aspartame.

Mouthfeel - the effervescence keeps the taste buds honest, I think it enhances the enjoyment of the beer by kind of bubbling off the prior sip's flavor influence, like the guy at Penn Station who scrapes the grill between sandwiches. Good consistency for the style, a little below average thickness, but not watery at all.

Given the opportunity, I would probably abuse this beverage by overdoing it, Hennepin is most delicious and drinkable. 7.5% abv be damned, this is one beer that'll make you look past that to see how many more are in the fridge!

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Cool bottle, which is always nice, seems to make my tongue more anxious. It pours nicely, an slight orange hue to the golden yellow brew as the cascade of bubbles make their way to the top for their obligatory contribution to a nice sized head. I smell bananas, clove, ginger, some other fruits, and yeastiness. And boy it is a nice tasting ale, with the fruitiness (banana and grapefruit) and spices making a nice balance with a decent hop presence. I found it to be a smooth beer with the carbonation action livening up my tongue, by the alcohol content makes this one to be careful with since I really couldn't tell it was that high.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Served from a corked 750 ml bottle it appears a golden hue with a vibrant white head leaving trickled lace a picture perfect Belgium style ale. Aroma has some of those farm house ale characteristics of spices and yeast notes very nice along with huge tones of malt sweetness, underlying honey notes and the phenols are also producing the fruit tones characteristic of any fine Belgium ale. So, far simply amazing I love it. Taste light trickled malt, this is the perfect combination of sweetness, light hops, and exotic spices and full rich tones with a nice finish of alcohol on the palate. The mouthfeel has the consistency of a light syrup highly carbonated just full enough to coat the palate and tickle the senses. Drinkability is just wow, I could treat this like a session beer until I tried to stand up. Really too drinkable and desireable to approach too often save it as a treat. Best thing about it is the reasonable price for such a great beer, classic!

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked 750ml bottle

Appearance: After the cork all but forces itself out of the bottle, this beer pours a highly carbonated, pale honey body crowned by a massive, foamy off-white head. The head retains amazingly well, as it shrinks only a bit in the center, leaving a thick lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is stunning...I could just smell this for quite a while! It has a wonderful balance of light fruitiness, spices, honey, hops, earth, musty yeast, and a slight phenolic note. Wow...

Taste: The flavor starts out with a sweet bite, then opens up into a brilliant balance of the following: light fruit, peppery spiciness, raw honey, bitter and biting hops, medicinal phenolics, musty and bready yeast, coriander and ginger, lemon and orange peel, and a faint banana flavor. Brings forth phenolic burps... Breathtaking...

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, with a tantalizing smooth and tongue-tingling, bottle-conditioned mouthfeel. It's like sex in liquid form for the tongue...

Drinkability: Just shy of outstanding. The only thing that could stop me from drinking a lot of this is the strength. You don't notice how strong it is because you're too damn busy being seduced by it.

Unquestionably top notch...why the hell did it take so long for me to review this? It's proof that the best Belgian-style beers don't always come from Belgium. It's also a bargain at $4 for a 750ml bottle.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

The beer pours a light gold color with a lovely white head that stands tall. The aroma is exceptional. I love belgian beers like this one. There is so much going on in here; bitter orange peels, corriander, etc. It has a sort of banana aroma. I can't say enough about it. The taste is also good. It rings of spices right from the first sip. The elevated alcohol level (7.5%) also lets you know that this is a beer to enjoyed, not slammed down. This would be great with some gourmet food. The mouthfeel is tremendously smooth for a bottle conditioned ale. It goes down smooth and is very drinkable. A great choice anytime. In my opinion, their best regular offering, only edged out by their limited edition Three Philosophers.

2.64/5  rDev -36.7%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

This fine brew poured a dark coppery blond, with a humongous sticky white head with amazing staying power. Forget lacing on the glass, this one left big clumps and gobs behind. Truly amazing head, bigger and fluffier than anything else I've tried. (I looked in the bottle for a nitro widget, none there...) The head was obviously inspired by the beer's namesake, Fr. Hennepin, who was the first European to see Niagara Falls. The aromas were abundant, malt, clove, leather and tobacco. The taste was mostly malt and clove, that faded to grapefruit. Faint notes of honey, caramel, and pine. The mouthfeel was creamy, and had (truly amazing, considering the massive head) light carbonation. The finish was very mellow, setting me gently down to earth with a smooth, mild hoppiness. Wow! What a trip! Not like a barrel over the Falls, more like the Tunnel of Love with your best girlfriend...

3.88/5  rDev -7%

A good bit cheaper than all the other Belgians I picked up this weekend, and still pretty good. Typical head, thick, fine, almost white. I broke my regular glass and was forced to drink from a green glass so I can't comment on the color or clarity (guess I need to get some more). The aroma was fruity and hoppy, maybe a bit spicy. Taste was great, ranging from sweet, to tart, to a bitterness that seemed to grow stronger with each glass. Nice lacing, and the head persisted to the bitter end, of course it didn't take long to polish off this beer. While there are better Belgians out there I must say this is a steal at $4-5 for 750ml...at that price its worth it just for shooting the cork at your friends.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Originally sampled 19 January 2002. Although the style says it is a 'Saison', this reminds me of the white beers I had in Belgium (like Hoegaarden). The crisp taste is wonderful. It didn't have much head, but it was very pleasing to drink. I'm glad that I can get Ommegang's beers easily in my area

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

This brew poured a large white foamy long lasting head. The lacing on the sides of my glass was so-so. It had a sweet lemony aroma to it in my opinion. The carbonation was seen rising to the top. The body was gold in color. There was no bitterness noted with this particular brew. It was a smooth tasting brew to me which is much to my liking. I would definitely drink this one again.

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured a light golden color,for some reason didnt get much head at all maybe and older bottle?Smell was fresh and amd very floral.The first thing I got on the palate was a spiciness followed by some fruity,yeasty estures.There is a definent citrusy kinda lemony taste rounding out on this one.A really well made ale but maybe not for me so much,but it still deserves a pretty good raiting.

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%

A light golden or honey color with a very thick and huge head, which sticks in sugary patches throughout, I love those sugary patches! The aroma is of fresh fruit and flowers, quite nice. The initial chewy and sugary and alcohol combo is brilliant, some pepper and banana can be detected. Towards the finish, some hops and fresh fruit, a dry and hearty finish, very warming, and this is brewed in my home state of New York? Incredible, awesome, add your adjective here, deserves to be a top 10 beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

This my favorite selection from Brewery Ommegang, and one of my favorite brews to be found anywhere.

Pale, golden color with a slight amber glow. Huge, fluffy, white head sits on the Hennepin throne (Duvel-esque, no?). Smells very floral and slightly citric. The taste is quite hoppy and fruity, notably apple, pear and banana. This is quite a crisp beer, with lively carbonation in the mouth. Finishes dry. Alcohol very nicely hidden.

A nearly perfect beer.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

I'm surprised by the maltiness of this ale. Has a terrific sweet malt flavor. Looks great in the glass, cloudy honey appearance with a great Belgian-like head of froth. Slight citrus aroma and good hop character. Also reminds me of some German beers I've had. I find this very unique as with many Belgian recreations. Nice Ale!

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hennepin is honey-colored, with a sizable creamy white head. It has a cloudy appearance in the glass, but it's not so cloudy so as to obscure the steady stream of bubbles rising toward the head. The nose, one of my all-time favorites, presents strewn hay, citrus (pineapple) and a faint mustiness that seems appropriate for a farmhouse/Saison ale. At first the flavor is sweet, with a slightly tangy sidenote, but mid-palate the sweetness is balanced nicely by a noticeable, peppery hop presence. Just a hint of banana shows up for the finish.

This is a hoppy beer, as the label suggests ("pale, hoppy, crisp and rustic"), but it is by no means strongly or assertively hoppy. The complex flavors balance nicely. And a crisp mouthfeel makes this a refreshing brew, especially after a day working (or relaxing!) in the spring sun.

3.91/5  rDev -6.2%

Definately one of the better Saison style brews I've had, especially considering it is made in the United States. Hennepin's strongest characteristics begin to present themselves as the beer airs out and warms up a bit from its bottly confines. At first I found the bouquet to be a bit on the sour side and thought that I may have bought a skunked bottle of Hennepin, but after a few minutes I began to discover its delecate honey and hops tones. Definately a sipping beer, probably good on a hot day (I had it indoors on a 35 degree day). Overall, another excellent BC offering from Cooperstown.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

I should mention at the risk of being ridiculed by fellow BA's, that I don't care much for some Belgium Abbey Farmhouse style ales, as far as beer goes. This is an exception. It's the overly acidic clove flavor that separates this style with every other style of beer. And Hennepin adheres to, and in fact, exemplifies the "Abbey Bottle-Conditioned" Ale, sans the overly cloved taste. Cloudy gold, medium body, high hops, strong yeast clove flavor, earthy, fizzy effervescence, some citrus notes, noticeable alcohol, nothing subtle and a fine white lasting head with plenty of Belgian lace. Is this not a description of the Abbey style? And aren't you hungry for strong cheese? Nice stuff!

Edit: 10/31/04 - My tastes for the Abbey-style ale have evolved. I like them more than I once did. I can't drink more than a few at a sitting because they create an acid reflux problem for me. But Abbeys and Trappists are always a welcome treat.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cork popped out of the 750 ml bottle and flew across the room. Poured in the glass and had to wait for minutes for the head to dissipate so that I could reach the beer. Hazy golden in appearance. Smell is wonderful - lemon and bubble gum? First sip reveals grassy, earthy flavor and on the dry side. I got a nice aftertaste that seemed honey like in sweetness with some sourness. I read a review after my initial notes that indicated a salty cheese flavor that I agree with. I also agree with remarks that this would pair well with food. I wish I had some cheese to try out with it.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang