Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
epicness

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Very bright golden color. I'm using the Duvel Tulip Glass, and I don't know if this is directly related to the glass itself, but theres a single file stream of bubbles in the middle of the glass just rising continuously. Pretty neat looking. Pretty cloudy with a large frothy, white head. Very sticky lacing is left on the side of the glass if I give a little swirl.

S - I've never had a Saison before so I wasn't really sure what I was getting into, but the smell was totally not what I expected. Almost smells like a Witbier. There's lots of similar characteristics. It's heavy on coriander and lemon. The smoothness of clove is present. It's also a little spicy and if I'm correctly identifying it, it almost smells like ginger is in there.

T - With the initial taste it was very sweet in the front and very dry bready taste on the back end. Based on the smell, I would have to say the taste is a lot spicier than I anticipated, although that's not a bad thing. It's a good spicy taste. Spices and citrus definitely dominate the overall taste of the beer though. Honestly, it almost has this sour taste to it.. like a green apple sour taste. I definitely like it. That taste seems to be hanging around in the aftertaste.

M - Good carbonation on the tongue, yet so extremely crisp and refreshing at the same time. Light bodied.

D - I type pretty fast to give you an idea of things... and while typing this review I've killed off the entire beer except for a mouthful without really realizing it. I can't get enough of this beer. Very high drinkability obviously... well until the near 8% ABV sneaks up on me. Cheers.

03-23-2010 01:37:59 | More by epicness
BeerGodz

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Look: Bright golden color, slightly cloudy, dense head with nice lacing

Smell: Lemon, spices, sweet malt

Taste: Up Front: Sweet malt. Finish: Fruit, spices

Mouthfeel: Light body, highly carbonated, with a dry finish

Drinkability: Crisp & refreshing

Overall Impression: This is a beer I've had several times, but I have never been overly impressed with it. It's a good beer to drink on a hot summer day, but I can think of many others I'd rather drink in its place. That's just my opinion. If you look elsewhere, you'll see that this beer is very highly rated. Judge for yourself.

03-22-2010 17:19:54 | More by BeerGodz
Bolendak

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

My brother bought me a 1 pint 9 oz bottle of Ommegang Hennepin and I decided to pop the cork after a couple weeks of staring at it in the fridge.

Appearance - it really looked like i was pouring a glass of bud light. it was a light yellowish gold color with a good amount of head. it even smelled like bud light or something you would find in the dixie cups of a beer pong playing college student.

Smell - again, it really smelled like a light beer, perhaps bud or maybe even coors or miller, they're all the same to me.

Taste - after lifting the glass and actually sampling this beer, it did, in fact, taste a lot like bud light. However, there wasn't such a harsh or bitter aftertaste. The aftertaste was similar to Heineken or some other hoppy lager. I did not enjoy the bubbly carbonated light beer taste, but the sweet aftertaste was a relief.

Mouthfeel - It was extraordinarily easy to drink. I could chug this for days without my eyes watering. The carbonation was a little much, and I would have liked it to be a little heavier.

Drinkability - again, very much like a light beer. While I enjoyed drinking it, I was let down by my expectations, come on Ommegange, you can do better.

03-19-2010 02:34:16 | More by Bolendak
Lars3

Connecticut

75dL bottle into an Ommegang holiday pack glass.

This beer was so pretty that I had to stop and take a picture. A beautiful translucent golden color with a billowing white head. The lacing never ends.

This been smells like getting drunk on the bank of the Seine. Or at least that is what my brain is telling me. I don't drink many Saisons, but my first were consumed on a trip to Paris with some buddies. If I was in the fragrance business creating a cologne that smelled like this would be priority number one. The actual scent is grassy with hints of green apples, and maybe a little alcohol underneath.

Very tart, but I wouldn't say sour. It is a light tasting beer. All the scents that I picked up are also present in the taste. My mouth feels clean after each sip. I could probably drink more than a .75L bottle of this is given the opportunity.

Hennepin is light on the tongue, but the tartness makes my mouth want to pucker a bit. The smell, but prolific, bubbles feel great from the time they touch my lips to the moment they drain down my throat.

The 7.7% abv is what prevents this beer from being a 4 or even 4.5 in drinkability. This beer is easy to drink and not too hard of the wallet, but I'm a light-weight and I always will be so drinking too much of a 7.7% beer is just out of the question for me.

03-17-2010 22:44:34 | More by Lars3
happilysurly

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a bright hazy gold. Minimal head, cloudy as hell.

S: Fresh, pungent, lemons, sour, wild flowers, orange. The fact that I get a lot of aroma from this beer says something since my sense of smell lacks a bit.

T: Champagne, sour, this is a beer that I feel is the benchmark for the style. This is a superb summer beer with a bright, fresh taste that leaves the mouth feeling like you just ate a garden salad with some green apples and a light vinaigrette.

M: The prevalence of green apple taste made me think that I would have the aftertaste in my mouth that I get from green apples, but I absolutely do not. This beer gently rolls off the tongue and leaves me feeling light and fresh.

D: I love this beer. I need to go buy more. As summer approaches, I can see myself sitting out on my deck on a cool MN summer night drinking a four pack of this lovely brew. I will be purchasing more.

03-17-2010 22:13:38 | More by happilysurly
TheJollyHop

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Cloudy golden amber, thick and frothy two fingers worth of head. Ample foam retention on the walls of the glass.

Strong spiciness upfront intermixed with horse blanket, yeast, and lemon scents. A little grassy as well.

Like the nose, spice is readily noticeable upfront and it tastes a lot like cinnamon. The sweetness is light and biscuity, possibly some honey, and I detect some cooked pear as well. Straw and light lemony citrus flavors pervade as well, along with a clean and musty overall taste. There is some faint alcohol on the breath, and the bittering hops perfectly balance the malt as they explode and then tingle on the tongue briefly.

Effervescent, light bodied, and highly carbonated. Expands in the mouth and coats the tongue.

Flavorful and easily enjoyable, it retains its character well.

03-17-2010 15:52:39 | More by TheJollyHop
Estranged

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

my .02 on arguably, america's leading belgian style saison...

a: clear and bright amber/straw color, large meade and heavily carbonated, frothy bright and white head.

s: a blend of wonderful foreign spices, orange and ginger pop out strongest.

t: sweetness and citrus dominate the palate, foreign spcies flirt with the palate, and a bitter dry finish clenses the mouth on the way down.

mf: light, lively and effervescent, clean...lager like in feel

d: highly drinkable. refreshing, tasty with well-married spices, and addicting.
7.7% abv = The perfect number!

03-15-2010 01:08:22 | More by Estranged
fropones

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A - Pours a nice clear golden yellow with a nice white head and some half decent lace.

S - Clove, coriander, lemons, apples, raisins. Very nice.

T - Spicy with clove, lemon zest, a bready yeasty taste as well.

M - Nice effervescence, good carbonation, nice bite.

D - Drinks very nicely. Refreshing, alcohol nicely hidden.

03-10-2010 01:13:17 | More by fropones
SLeffler27

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

A huge fine white head rises four fingers over a light, hazy, pale brass beer. The carbonation mesmerizes as it swirls ever upward. With time, the head turns rocky and settles to a big puffy cloud, leaving patches of sea-foam one the snifter glass.

The aroma is that of lemon hops, with a touch of grain and apple, followed by apples, spice, and with warmth pepper and other juicy fruit.

Lightly tart, with a zing of acid Hennepin grabs the tongue, and lets alcohol take over with each sip. Distinctly yeasty, with warmth, this tastes like fermented apples or pears and has a parting shot of tartness in the finish, followed by a long lingering dryness.

Lively carbonation is most prominent, in this silky full bodied dry beer. Cleansing and lightly astringent, with moderate alcohol, this is a winner.

Very easy to consume and improves quite well with warmth, so take your time and espouse your views with leisure.

03-09-2010 20:32:38 | More by SLeffler27
DAllspaw

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured according to bottle instructions into tulip which produced significant head that dissipated slowly with great lacing. Straw color with slight cloudiness. Streaming bubbles from bottom of tulip exactly like champagne. Never seen that before.

Great smell, banana, citrus, bready. Unbelievable taste, just enough funk/sour to give it an amazing character. I've never had a beer quite like this, can't wait to have another.

03-07-2010 01:14:49 | More by DAllspaw
JunkYardJake

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

750ml corked into tulip.
Classic Saison. Easily the best widely available domestic version of the style. Pours cloudy golden color with a big fluffy head. Smells very fresh and inviting. Tastes even better. Fruity notes and soft yeast and grain flavor. Super tasty and easy to drink. Cannot get enough of this stuff. A must drink.

03-06-2010 16:35:18 | More by JunkYardJake
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Rich and crisp saison. Great price/quality ratio.

Presentation: 750 ml corked bottle. Almost heraldic label design with a subdued four quadrant classic design in light warm colors. Brief side paragraph notes serving, Belgium servitude, and "Duvel" affiliation. Opposite side narrative notes naming inspiration, main characteristics, and cultural references. Notes date of bottling (10/07/09), Best By (10/2012), Alc. by Vol. (7.7%), and serving temp. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours pale gold, a bit hazy even without shaking the bottom yeast, with a great head, great retention and fine touches of lacing as the brew goes down.

S - Fine smell, with a tangy, yeasty, and citrusy range. Feels rather fresh.

T - Flavors follow rather enticingly with a citrusy and tangy sweetness working very well. A bit hoppy with fresh spicy notes.

M - Light body with generous carbonation. Crisp and tangy finish.

D - Very smooth and drinkable.

Notes: Outstanding Ommengang offering. Great saison and a remarkable reinterpretation of the Belgian style.

03-02-2010 01:25:55 | More by Daniellobo
donteatpoop

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mmmm.

Hazy golden color with a nice thick white head and good retention throughout. The smell is grain, fruit, and a farmhouse funk.

A grainy malt dominates the palate. The high alcohol lvel is masked very well; the yeast leaves a funky taste behind.

02-28-2010 16:48:15 | More by donteatpoop
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Hard to believe I've never review Hennepin. I picked up a 750 just for the purpose (and because of excellent memories of getting it on sale in college).

Hazy golden color with some orange-amber hues. Head is pretty tall, mostly white, with good-looking saison carbonation. Quite a bit of flakiness at the end from a rather non-judicious pour made the last glass a bit darker and less attractive, but overall a fine appearance for the style. Not much retention and lacing.

The nose is fruity-sweet, with sour apple, lemon, and a touch of clove leading the way. The flavor is similarly fruity, good pale malt base with a slight earthiness of herbs and spices. High levels of carbonation don't give way to that metallic element, but do betray a bit of the high alcohol content.

Tart, citric finish that's not too puckering, great for the style. Very solid take on the style that's not too flashy. Pays homage to the originals but has a distinctly American voice. When you see this one for under $7, consider it a steal.

02-25-2010 02:15:01 | More by BretSikkink
flagmantho

Washington

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip. My bottle says packaged on 7/30/2009, best by 7/2011.

Appearance: hazy light golden color with lots of apparent effervescence and two fingers of puffy white head. Looks good to me.

Smell: light pear aroma with a nice bit of chalkiness. It's kind of one-dimensional here but I really like this particular dimension. Simply delicious-smelling.

Taste: again, light pear with a distinct and delicious chalkiness. There is a tiny hint of malty funk buried underneath the delicious subtlety; it peeks out a bit toward the end along with a nice smooth bitterness. This is a delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body with good carbonation and cream, cream, cream. Outstanding.

Drinkability: as I said, simply delicious. I've never had Hennepin before, but this might have to become a staple in my household.

02-18-2010 04:05:45 | More by flagmantho
JTahoe

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Clear gold hue, champagne-like in color and carbonation, nice quick rising three finger head that subsides slowly with lots of clingy lace hanging around the glass.

S - Apple, honey, white pepper, hay, subtle musty spiciness with some clove-like character.

T - Lightly fruity with apple and pear, honey white pepper, subtle spices, and earthy dried grass. Nice balanced with smooth light biscuity grain.

M - Medium body, slick feel, crisp with perfect light carbonation.

D - Delicate but with a certain raw edge, and pleasingly complex. Like a Belgian thoroughbred through and through... but it's not!

02-17-2010 04:31:09 | More by JTahoe
brownbeer

Missouri

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Straw color with a thick white head that leaves endless lacing. Might only look better if I were drinking it at the brewery.

Very wheaty aroma, lemony fruit, saaz hops, a hint of clove spice.

Subtle banana and clove underneath the classic hayish wheat and peppery hops, maybe grains of paradise. Crisp and tingley on the tongue showing quite a bit of carbonation, in a good way. Dry and refreshing.

I'd say this one raises the bar, even for Belgian brewers. A fine example of the style.

02-16-2010 02:17:31 | More by brownbeer
dpodratsky3

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

750 ml bottle poured into chalice

A: Foamy, pure white head, settles to a thin but substantial head, still clinging to sides, almost totally opaque, like a light sunburst butterscotch color

S: Yeast provides most aroma here, pretty clean though, definite spiciness too, sweet and acidic and the same time, not citrusy though

T: Starts with that same semi-acidic fruit like sweetness - but never actually gets sweet, more acidity, then turns to a good malt presence, not super powerful, but definite light malt, sometimes finishes a little bitter too

M: That tartness imparts a definite dry feel, but remains light, just kind of melts out of your mouth

D: Good, not a session beer, but it is refreshing and good feeling

Notes: I have long regarded this beer very highly. While it isn't the "super beer" that I remember it being the first time I ever tried it (because it was one of my first craft beers), I would definitely say it is an extremely superior beer. It has great flavor and is just so refreshing and easy to drink.

02-15-2010 05:01:32 | More by dpodratsky3
chcfan

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle into Mad Elf tulip

Pale golden in color with a large white head.

Aroma of spice and clove.

The taste is sort of like a hefe with more spice and barnyard flavor. Not a lot of funk.

Lots of carbonation on the tongue.

A nice I enjoy this saison, but not as much as Dupont. Still, a nice change of pace and has a much lower chance of being skunked *shakes fist angrily at green bottles* than Dupont. It's not the best beer for this time of year, but still very refreshing.

02-15-2010 02:22:41 | More by chcfan
MetalHopHead6

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Ommegang Hennepin is sparkly, easy, and a great all-purpose ale.

It poured cloudy hazy light gold, with a huge thick head that left a moderate amount of lace. The smell and flavor were yeasty and fruity, with hints of banana and lemon. The feel is crisp and sparkly, yet thick, with a dry finish.

Hennepin is a nice crisp Farmhouse Ale that is refreshing in summer and perfect with a rich meal in colder weather. It's a great year-round all-purpose ale.

02-14-2010 23:09:25 | More by MetalHopHead6
bigbluebeerguy

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a small tulip glass from a 750ml bottle. Initial glass was a clear, golden yellow, with a continuous stream of tiny bubbles racing to meet the light, white head that formed and left beautiful lacing. Final glass was a little hazier, probably due to my disturbing the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

Smell was not overly remarkable, mildly hoppy with a little citrus overtones, but nothing seemed to stand out.

Taste was intriguing. Probably had it a little cold initially, so I got a little citrus/hoppy kick, mildly acidic. As the bottle warmed I got a little more earthiness to yeast. The alcohol was not as prominent as the ABV would have you think.

Mild carbonation led to a crisp, zesty feel in the mouth.

Overall, very easy to drink. An outstanding beer that will earn a permanent home in the "mancave" beer fridge.

02-11-2010 00:54:13 | More by bigbluebeerguy
1759Girl

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance> Beauty, hazy, warm yellow. Very lively. The effervescence of champagne. Pours with a white, sudsy head that dissipates slowly. Some retention. Some lacing.

Smell> Nice! Representative. Grain, sweetness, slightly alcoholic. Good.

Taste> good. light. Not too complex. Crisp and refreshing as a saison should be, but with a sweet slightly alcoholic hang.

Mouf> A little bubblier than I like. Pretty average.

Drinkability> Easy.

02-09-2010 06:16:14 | More by 1759Girl
Angelface

4.95/5  rDev +19%

Having toured Howe's Cavern just hours before, I was very excited to try the beer that had been aged there at a constant 52 degrees for a year. It didn't take much enticing of our guide get a taste after the tour of the Brewery Ommegang.

Compared to the regular Hennepin, the Cave Aged was thicker, richer and a little sweeter. The regular already is a world champion but the Cave Aged which was 2 years old (bottle still covered in authentic cave dust) was so much richer and more complex than the regular Hennepin.

The beer was Saison but with the complexity of a good dubble. Get it while you can as new owners of Howe's Cavern no longer let Ommegang age beer there.

02-08-2010 02:24:08 | More by Angelface
Moonraker7

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Cloudy pale yellow with a large 3 finger head.

S: Citrus, alittle acidic, some spices and fruits.

T: Lots of citrus. Alittle sweet but very mellow. Also tastes slightly acidic, but as it warms becomes much more balanced.

M: Medium carbonation

D: Very drinkable, easy to have more than one. Alcohol is well hidden.

02-07-2010 03:36:57 | More by Moonraker7
JustinJTisdale

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer pours crystal clear golden yellow with a white head that last for a decent amount of time leaving a nice thin lacing around the glass.

The smell as well as the taste is very yeasty and bready with almost a sweet grapefruit hoppy aftertaste mixed in.

A little heavy on the price where I get it but I definantly see myself partaking again in the future.

02-07-2010 01:29:09 | More by JustinJTisdale