Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
MiScusi

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

750mL bottle.

A- pours a chill hazed cloudy light gold with a big fluffy and rocky white head. The haze wears off after a while and it becomes a pretty clear gold.

S- Dominated by light fruit and Belgian yeast. Definitely has the "farmhouse" character that it should. Nice and earthy. Gotta give it props since my dad who was sitting a couple feet away said he could smell my glass and also said he really liked the smell.

T- Lots of fruity esters come across at the beginning, washed away by earthiness, and then both combine at the end to leave an aftertaste composed of both flavors.

M- Way to carbonated, though after warming up a bit with extensive swirling it releases enough of the carbonation to make it a bit more enjoyable.

D- Well I don't know if I've ever drank an entire 750mL bottle by myself but I did with this so that's gotta score it some points right?

06-07-2008 03:46:59 | More by MiScusi
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

So, I'm kicking my own ass for not trying this earlier. Its a fairly accessible brew around my parts and I've passed it over time and time again.... I won't make that mistake again..

Beautiful pale yellow appearance with a huge fluffy foamy head that never goes away...

Aroma is a yeasty funky citrusy wonderful thing... A little banana presents itself as well...

Damn, this is just terrific... Slightly citrusy and hoppy but also yeasty and funky at the same time... I grilled steaks while enjoying these and its a terrific summer brew... Sessionable? Not by me... The 7% will get you..

I will be getting and keeping this one from now on... This will be a new staple for me..

06-06-2008 23:28:26 | More by Tilley4
julian

Washington

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

My first Ommegang beer...I've been salivating all day to try this bad boy. Bought at Whole Foods (Bellevue, WA) yesterday. 9.4 FL. OZ

A: Hazy golden coloring of this beer is as expected of the style. Thick snowy white head - 2 fingers. Shrinks within a minute or 2 but never actually disappears which is nice! Sparse but interesting lacing...could be my frosted pint glass though :)

S: An earthy yet spicy (cloves) aroma dominates this beer. Lemon qualities detected mixed with yeast and minimal sour note.

T: Nice and bubbly, mild sourness of lemons or even sour apples mixed with an enthusiastic spicing. Quite dry. Low hop flavor. Footnotes of light malting.

M: Medium carbonation with a light to medium body. The 8.5% ABV is masked well. Impressive!

D: Well I'm preparing to drink the whole bottle...and I'd drink it again.

06-04-2008 00:10:11 | More by julian
BrewmasterNPB

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I drank Hennepin because I am interested in brewing Saisons and this seemed like a classic example.
Appearance- Cloudy, straw color with a bit of a creamy head that lasted halfway into drinking the beer.
Aroma - I smelled lemons, and then malty/bready aromas.
Taste - Hennepin is tart, but not sour, which is appropriate for style. It's a little fruity, but not overpowering.

06-02-2008 03:58:20 | More by BrewmasterNPB
papaglide

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

poured from a BIG bottle with a cork.

Looks- has a nice big frothy head. Beer is a golden straw color.

smell- flowery, citric, earthy, maybe bananas? Reminds me of a weiss beer

taste- slight hop bitterness, fruitiness for at first, followed up by a touch of malt sweetness and cloves? Very dry finish tinged with a touch of "heat", some biscuity dryness present also. Medium bodied.

drinkability- very drinkable and enjoyable. goes down too smoothly for a 7.7% (but that's good!) very good and easy to enjoy. Give it a try!

05-31-2008 22:18:23 | More by papaglide
RomanW70

Rhode Island

On tap at Track 84 in Warwick, RI. One of my favorite American Saisons. Pours yellowish gold with a large fluffy white head. Nose of citrus, spice, and funk. Funk very prominent in both the taste and the aroma. Finish is citrus and spice. Clean. Very nice beer.

05-31-2008 02:36:34 | More by RomanW70
nrbw23

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A- A hazy golden color with a nice fluffy white head that left hardly any lacing.

S- Tons of fruit and citrus in this one mainly lemons. Some wheat, grassy and a bit of spice.

T- Sweet fruit lemons and banana come to mind and then some malt and spice come in. Very balanced and maybe a little dry.

M- Medium in body with good carbonation.

D- Very easy to drink and very enjoyable.

05-30-2008 22:10:17 | More by nrbw23
callmescraps

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Ok, time to review the brilliant Ommegang Hennepin. I first experienced this on tap, but am writing the review based on a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance - Golden with a soft white head, firm but not too pillowy. Head slowly dissipates, but a quarter inch remains.

Smell - Spicy, with a little fruitiness.

Taste - Wow. Refreshing, with more fruit, and a hint of apple. Almost a sour, but satisfying, finish. Pretty tart. Lots of depth to the flavor, and a tasty lingering on the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Incredibly crisp. Just a very refreshing beer. Not heavy or creamy, but sharp.

Drinkability - Absolutely off the charts. for such a potent beer, I could pack these away. When I order this at the bar I have to limit myself to only two, or I know I'll end up going too far.

This is one of my favorite beers, ever. An excellent example of the style, that on a blind test most drinkers would assume was imported from Belgium, not Cooperstown.

05-30-2008 22:08:52 | More by callmescraps
zymurgy4all

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours clear up until the last part that shows it is bottle conditioned. Huge white foamy head that leave lacing and lasts a long time. Is straw yellow in color and has a nice Belgian farmhouse funk aroma.
The flavor is quite impressive. It has an orangey citrus full saison flavor that is closer to the BJCP guidelines of a saison than Saison Du Pont. Ommegang captured it well, and this beer should serve as a perfect example of the Saison style of beers available in the US. I've only had homebrew examples come this close.

05-28-2008 00:07:21 | More by zymurgy4all
heavyblanket

Oklahoma

My new favorite style and my new favorite Brewery.
This is a beautiful beer. Golden with great bubbles like a great Champagne. Smelled of fruit and earth. Perfect feel in the mouth with a lingering finish. Paired well with an aged white cheese. Wonderful.

05-27-2008 23:17:37 | More by heavyblanket
Deadstar

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

I had been looking for this back in Pennsylvania but finally found it when I was away on vacation in Michigan. I picked up a bottle of this and was very excited to try it; I had heard lots of great things about it.

Appearance: Cloudy and light gold in color, lacing was rather light.

Smell: Citrus (very lemony) and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Hops in the finish, a little bit bready, somewhat sweet as well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, I have my mom a taste of this and she thought it really reminded her of how champagne felt in her mouth (which I would agree with). Fairly light as well.

Drinkability: I liked this beer quite a bit, but I found that I wouldn't be able to drink a whole lot of this in one sitting like I would with some other styles.

05-27-2008 18:22:46 | More by Deadstar
MrMcGibblets

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

I've had this both on-tap and via champagne-style bottle, and have been duly impressed each time. brilliant straw/golden in color with nice clarity. beautiful huge white creamy head that is quite persistent. continues to bubble up in the tulip glass like a fine champagne. nose is herbal, musty, floral, fruity, and sweet. very complex bouqet overall, and it should be noted that i normally do not favor the barnyardy/musty notes but it works quite well for me in this one. honeyed lightly sweet bready malts are mysteriously cleaned out by an extremely smooth hop bitterness, vague spiciness, and prickly carbonation. wonderful balance. medium-bodied with good mouthfeel from this expertly done secondary fermentation. a real treat and a fine example of a saison, if i may venture to say so.

05-26-2008 05:47:36 | More by MrMcGibblets
stumac

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

pours a gold color with a huge, frothy white head. the nose is lemons, bananas, cloves, some sort of dry, chalky aroma. definately a pleasing aroma. tastes of spicy hops, cloves, citrus, lemons. medium bodied, medium to heavy natural carbo. good stuff

05-25-2008 04:42:29 | More by stumac
DavidSeanNJ

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

The Hennepin is another one of those beers that I have seen on the shelves almost since I started drinking craft beer. Finally decided to pick up a single bottle to give this a whirl.

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

A- First thing I notice is the big huge massive head that emerged- fluffy and hilly- bold white color. The liquid was a bright shade of gold. No lacing on this one.

S- Smell is very citrusy- hints of grapefruits and pineapple. Some spice in the nose as well.

T- Taste was really excellent. Sour tartness followed by a nice peppery spice- I detected some strange flavors in here- maybe some biscuits/bready/ginger? orange zest. Lots going on here.

M- Surprisingly easy to drink- tingly yet not overwhelming.

D- I could pair this one with many different meals. I will introudce this one to a lot of my friends who do not yet appreciate beer.

05-24-2008 00:35:31 | More by DavidSeanNJ
Larrytown

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours bright gold with a massive billowing head. And boy does it stick around. Very nice. The nose has the typical saison spiciness and it follows through on the flavor. It's very robust and spicy, yet it goes down pretty easily. Lots of crisp carbonation in the mouth, but good weight to it as well.

This is a great version of this style. If I had this in a blind taste test, I'd never believe it was brewed in the US. Really well done.

05-22-2008 21:25:45 | More by Larrytown
thequeen711

This beer is alive inside! After popping the cork and pouring into the glass, the head is alive! Frothyness lasted quite some time until it rested. The beer is a hazy golden colour, tastes of citrus come to the palate. After the beer warms close to room temp, there are hints of mild hoppiness. Overall a pleasant, refreshing brew to savor!

05-20-2008 18:38:02 | More by thequeen711
BucBasil

South Carolina

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Poured from the 750mL corked and caged bottle into a tulip glass. the beer is a clear pure golden color with a ton of carbonation. Head is over 3 fingers thick and is sparkling white with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Hints of citrus - lemon mainly, with a grassy undertone of hay. Some spice noticeable, along with a subtle earthiness.

Taste: Honey sweetness in the introduction, leading into a peppery citrus flavor. Smooth grassiness in the back with a fleeting yet pleasant sour note. Lightly alcoholic finish with more sourness and a light lingering tingle. Very nice, light, but still complex flavor on this one.

Very smooth and easyto drink without sacrificing any flavor. This is one I'll definitely come back to.

05-20-2008 02:15:53 | More by BucBasil
rtratzlaff

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

On-Tap. Poured into a tulip glass.

1" white head above a body on the yellow side of light amber. Carbonation steadily flows holding the head which leaves good lacing.

Smells of some sweet fruitiness but a good amount of peppery spiciness.

Tastes are sweet Belgian sugar flavors, some lemony fruitiness, pepper. The malt flavors along the lines of fresh baked bread. A warmth his the palate late and it finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is moderate with good carbonation.

Drinkability is wonderful. The flavors are strong but I love them and don't see my palate getting too tired of them.

This is the beer to pair with a big stinky cheese.

05-19-2008 17:48:18 | More by rtratzlaff
cvstrickland

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A bomber at cellar temp, handled as if it were full of nitroglycerin, opens with a threatening pop! and a vigorous surge of large bubbles begins head-building operations immediately in the neck of the bottle. This drink wants out!

A careful pour into a tulip glass evokes a billowing, explosive cloud of soft white foam, decorated by a tiny glowing golden body alive with bubbles. The head is continually fed by a steady stream of bubbles, and holds at over two fingers throughout the drink, lacing the glass in a fashion not unlike shaving cream. This drink is alive!

Smell is yeasty and sweet, with notes of clover honey, hay, crushed red pepper, and unbaked sweet rolls.

Tastes yeasty and tart, with sweet grass, underripe green pears, nutty and dry, with a flavor of spicy pie crust and a touch of astringency and chalk in the last pour from the bomber. Lingering dryness and a note of raw pecans remind the drinker to drink again.

Smooth, rich, and tingly in the mouth with a nice clean finish. Nutty, yeasty character lingers; extremely drinkable and damned delicious.

05-18-2008 18:05:05 | More by cvstrickland
CHADMC3

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with lively carbonation, a generous white head, and lasting lacing throughout the beer.

Sweet fruit, perhaps banana, and spice to accompany the dominant citrus notes. Hops scent more pronounced as the beer warms.

Substantial spice and more noticeable hops in the flavor. Also a nice fruitiness to balance out the spicy aftertaste, very well balanced.

Substantial carbonation, but not overwhelming. A lot of character for the palate to compliment the light body.

This is an excellent beer that leaves you craving another sip. The bomber goes fast, and I have found this is a great beer to share with friends who may be new to good beer.

05-17-2008 02:13:34 | More by CHADMC3
giblet

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

i poured the first half of this gem slowly. poured beautifully in my glass with about a half inch of head that stayed the whole way. excellent carbonation the entire time. wonderful bouquet of hops, fruit, and citrus smells. taste is truly a belgian spin. wonderful finish to the palate. the second half poured the same but slightly cloudy from rousting a little of the yeast.

excellent. suckem up and movem out.

giblet

05-16-2008 10:04:31 | More by giblet
SaucyA

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Looks truly awesome in my La Chouffe tulip. A cloudy, golden body with a huge, thick white head. Tons of bubbles ride the glass. This is a beautiful beer. The head lasts forever, and the carbonation just doesn't stop. Huge pieces of foam are all over the sides of my glass.

S - Lemony, berries, yeast, green apple, maybe slight banana undertones.

T - Really complex, tons of fruit flavors, yeasty goodness. Borderline cloying but never steps over the line. My only complaint is that it could stand to be a little more tart and a little less sweet.

M - Sparkly, yet a little syrupy... slightly thick but the carbonation cuts it

D - The ABV is a little big, but it's relatively drinkable for it's sweetness.

Notes: This is a fantastic looking beer, and the taste is truly one of a kind. I will revisit this one an awful lot, and urge you to pick one up if you haven't tried it. Quite obviously a cousin of Duvel.

05-15-2008 16:59:40 | More by SaucyA
Vixie

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured a nice yellow orange color with a vigorous head. I actualyl pured a little to fast and overflowed the foam that formed faster than anticipated.Good 3 finger head, settled in a few minutes to a half in thick layer of foam.

Appearance was nice, a bit cloudy, the color reminded me of orange juice, but not as deep an orange. Noticeable bubbling from the carbonation as well.

Smell was pronounced, main scent to me was banana, but a spicy banana. Also has some citrus scents in there as well, but the banana and spices were the most prominent.

Taste was nice, banana is there, as well as a clove like taste. A bit sweet, but not overly so. Has a bit of the carbonation burn you feel when drinking a carbonated soft drink, finishes with a bit of a spiced citrus taste. Very flavorful, no one flavor dominates, but everything there works together and is nicely balanced.

I liked the mouthfeel, was full without being overdone. The carbonation left a bit of a tingling sensation at the finish.

I think this is a very drinkable beer, although the high alcohol content and price will limit you more than anything else. I could see myself easily lingering over 2 or 3 bottles of this over the course of an evening.

This was my first taste of this style of beer, and if this one is any indication, I will be looking for more of this style.

05-12-2008 23:38:34 | More by Vixie
m1ked

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this at Liar's Club on tap. Man I am addicted to that shooting game.

A- Slight cloudy and bright light yellow with a snow white 3 inch head.

S- Low banana phenol. Doughy.

T- Light vanilla banana creaminess with white pepper spiciness.

M- Light and fresh, especially on this hot day way out in Alpine.

D- I realy enjoy this style, especially on this hot day. I feel like this is a strong representation of this style, and Ommegang's skills.

05-11-2008 23:10:37 | More by m1ked
cbros

750 ml Bottle/ Tulip Glass

A- medium to large head that stayed until the very end. Dirty golden color that is cloudy with yeast.

S- Fruity smell with hints of citrus and even bannana. Also smelled yeasty.

T- As with the smell you can taste the fruity nature of the beer. You can recognize citrus and I even tasted a hint of bannana. It also has a slight sour taste to it.

M- The fruity flavor stays with you but is not overwhelming. It has a light feel to it. Very drinkable.

D- I liked this beer and initally tried it because it it the America sister brewery to Duvel and it was the strong ale version. Having said that you can tell a distinction between the two, while both are very strong ABV this one seems to be heavier even though it is not as strong. This was a good beer and I would drink it again but given the choice between the two I would pick Duvel everytime.

05-10-2008 16:29:31 | More by cbros