Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

A: Clear golden color with a faint haze. Thick white head with major retention on the glass.

S: Mild spice. Possible peppery scent with mild overtone of sweetness. Slight grain aroma also.

T: Very crisp with a nice smooth flavor. Hard to break down because of its complexity. Ever so slightly spicy and very mild sweetness that lingers in the background. Aftertaste is like mild lemon and fruit tartness. Nothing overboard but very well ballanced.

This is excellent!!! I never understood why people spoke highly of Ommegang until I tried this style. It is a better version of the parent Duvel standard brew. This has lower alchohol phenol scent and flavor with a better taste. Best Ommegang I've had.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap at Local 44 in Philly. Poured a golden wheat color with a light white head. Smell was very yeasty and citrusy with some oils of hops. taste was similar, super smooth and full, mellow yeast then the light bite of the hops. Very balanced, great beer. Have a bomber of this which I'll open in a few months.

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a semi cloudy golden orange color. Nice big head which lasts for a few minutes. Aroma is nice, with yeast, spice and citrus aromas. Some hoppy aroma too.

Taste is great. Nice spiciness in the taste with some hoppy flavors. Some yeast taste as well, an interesting herbal flavor comes through as well. Very slight apple like flavor, and possibly grapefruit. Nice spicy/hoppy bite on the finish. So many different flavors, it is hard to separate them all.

I really like this one. I keep forgetting this one is brewed in New York. One of the best American brewed Belgian style ales I have had.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Love it, bought a case then picked up a keg. The review is from tap.

A - A large frothy head with excellent lacing. A clear sparkling light yellow body.

S - Slight citrus aroma. Moderate yeast smells acoompanied by fruit and spice (pear, pineapple and nutmeg?)

T - Sweet throughout the beer (not overwhelming though) with a short sour aftertaste.

M - Light syrupy body. Lively with an astringent/alcohol finish.

D - Give me a warm day and some out door work and this is perfect. Or give me a cold day and a warm fire and this is perfect. Or leaves changing, or clouds and rain...

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

An truly excellent beer.

A - Pours a deep orange/gold, with a bit of haze.

S - Belgian-y. Some citrus and spice with yeast/bread.

T - Lovely. Non-IPA style hops lead off with a citrus-spice, transitioning with lively carbonation to a clove/bread mixture, and finishing with just a hint of heat. Also a fair amount of champagne character and flavor. Could do with slightly less clove.

D - With the exception of the aforementioned clove, the drinkability is very high.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color from the bottle with a half inch of soap bubble head that boils away after a couple minutes. First smell brought with it a hint of skunk, but after that I found a mix of tripel/Belgian pale aromas--orange, pear, grassiness, and a spicy pepper note. Taste is similar to the smell, but tastier and with a nice alcohol presence. If the label didn't say otherwise, I would probably have classified this as a tripel. The finish contains apple flavors and mild hops.

Mouthfeel is a little spicy and there's a tart bitterness to the finish. The alcohol suits the mouthfeel and flavors, and while it is a refreshing brew, the nearly 8% ABV doesn't make this the most drinkable of beers. Interestingly, I remember the Hennepin I had on tap as a little fruitier. Nevertheless, this is a great offering from Ommegang, and I'd think about returning to it again when I'm in the mood for a Belgian.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

This is a beer I've tried several times before, but probably never given a fair shake due to my lack of knowledge of the style. After trying several prominent saisons, I figured I go back to one of the first I tried and give it another look.

Beer is a dark, hazy yellow with a feverish carbonation that spun upward like a tornado, packing a mammoth, pillowy white head.

Scent of lemon and sour mash permeate this summery beer, reminding me of the smell of fruit soaked in alcohol. Flavors are of the tart variety, featuring citrus fruit taste with the pleasant spiciness that makes saisons distinctive. Taste is quite well balanced and notes of cinnamon and banana tickle the throat as it goes down.

Beer hits the tongue beautifully, not overpowering with sourness, but not masking the true nature of the beer with sweetness. It never becomes too tart to consume and it is definitely a saison that can be sipped all day in the hot summer sun.

One of the best examples of the style and a great little number from Ommegang.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Pale straw color, lots and lots of white head..

S: Fruity, some spice. Cinnamon, peaches, apricot, and yeast.

T: Lots of fruit, and a little heat in a spice kind of way.. smooth, and delicious.. slight metallic aftertaste, but very slight.

M: Highly carbonated, slightly watery..

D: Good, but I don't think I'll be dropping a lot of money into this one.. It's a good beer, but I think there are better belgians out there.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear oversized wine glass. Purchased as 4-pack from Harris Teeter (Charlottesville, VA) for $8.99.

A: Slightly hazy tangerine yellow with healthy 2-finger effervescent nearly white head with good retention and spare lacing.

S: Plenty of mustiness for a saison-lover to enjoy here. Sweet and fruity, not unlike cheap champagne, with apple, pear, and light fruit aromas with some very light spice and earthy hops aromas.

T: Apple, pear, and other fruity esters are present with a medium-tart finish. There is a nice earthiness from a spicy hops and clove as well. The yeastiness is there but light and not overbearing. Alcohol is nicely warming.

M: Medium body but the lively carbonation lends a light feel to this fine brew. Aftertaste is light and fruity with a touch of spiciness.

D: An excellent saison that is readily available and a great value. It's Ommegang's most approachable beer, and could easily be a good gateway brew for those interested in trying Belgian ales.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

on tap at sharp edge creekhouse outside of Pittsburgh

A: pours a golden pale yellow color with a finger of white head that settles and leaves lots of lacing

S: smells like lots of yeast, breadiness, fresh cut grass or hay

T: lots of the same flavors as the scents; yeast, bread, grass, hay, very slight bitter bite at the finish

M: full bodied and spot on for this beer

D: super high session beer, despite being almost 8%, can't taste that abv and lots of smooth crisp flavor

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Beautiful gold, big head and nice bubbles rising up the tulip glass.

Fruity and a little musky at the same time with a hint of yeast.

Somewhat hoppy (but not in an IPA way) and fruity with a little belgian bannana and clove (but not to much). I know I read "rustic" on the bottle but it does fit.

Very crisp and satisfying on a hot day. The carbonation is perfect and makes itself felt. Medium bodied.

Goes down way too easy for 7.7%

My favorite beer from Ommegang.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Arrived in Hennepin tulip glass. A pale golden color with a giant sticky bright white head. Head last a long time and leaves great lacing all thru the drinking. Smells of grapefruit,cloves and a little hops. Outstanding taste, clean yet complex flavors of citrus, cloves and yeast. The flavors change with each sip and coats the mouth with unique adventures in flavor! So glad this is a domestic product as the price is right for such a great Belgian style. This will be making a permanent home in my fridge for the next several months. Great beer for those warm nights on the deck.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Finally came round to a new Ommegang brew, and i'm glad i brought this one back from the US.

Pour is a strong dark orange, very cloudy and- as it was for my experience- very, extremely carbonated (maybe it was shaken up by the trip back)- with a shiny, thick white head to slowly dissipate and leave a thick and firm lacing on the sides of the glass- a good, yeasty sign IMO.

Nose is citrusy, i honestly expected it to be sweeter as per the appearance but it was rather neutral, sourish at times and rather spicy, ranging around a grapefruit, cumin-ish feel.

Taste was quite good, although much as the smell, it wasn't as sweet as i'd thought it would be; albeit nice, it felt like an unsweetened, clementine taste with a very dense body and quite a full alcohol background making it fairly complex and tasty. not to bitter at the end, and not excessively sour throughout.

In the end the beer is a fine saison, very much like Dupont in the sweetlesness quite inviting to explore this style to a fuller extent.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

This is the Hennepin that I have heard so much about and it lived up to expectations. This beer is superior in all categories. A+!!!

Look: A warm and inviting golden yet opaque appearance with greater than average head and lace retention.

Nose: I thought I smelled an orange-and-hop combination. Quite pleasing aroma none the less.

Taste: The flavor seemed to effloresce in my mouth like a sunflower bursting into bloom. Again orange and hops is how I tasted it.

Mouth: Creamy delicious.

Drinkability: No brainer here: It is clearly one of the easiest beers I have ever drunk.

What a Joy!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a hazy orange gold with a big, frothy head.

There's some dirty earthy smell, something reminiscent of orange peel, and grape.

This tastes pretty. Spices, orange, and grape. I'm not liking the grape, but it's mild, and doesn't detract too much. It feels great, if a little too carbonated for my taste.

Overall, I find it delightful, and I could drink it all night.

(Note: This is for the 7.7% ABV 750ml bottle. I've had the 7.5% ABV 12oz bottle since then, and, disappointingly, that definitely wouldn't deserve a score this high. I'll update this sometime when I can do a side-by-side comparison.)

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

poured a brilliant gold hue with a completely hazed clarity. the head is snow white and merengue in consistency.

smells champagne sweet up front. a bit hop spice and malt backbone toward the end.

really crispy taste and mouthfeel. mild alcohol hits the mouth along with some bready sweetness. fruity notes hit the nose along with an undetectable spice.

mouthfeel is crispy and fullbodied. the carbonation punches at the tongue.

excellent beer!

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer pours a pale yellow or goldish color. It is not quite clear, but not far off. The head is like an ice cream cone bulging over the rim of my glass it is so thick. The nose has a grainy straw-like character that I find to be pretty common in belgian style beers. There is a nice structure to the flavor. The foam on the head lends itself to really "creaming up" the mouthfeel. The grains have a somewhat spicy character and I would go so far as to say the spice like flavor gives the beer some "flair."

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

750ml bottle split. Poured into a Corsendonk Christmas Ale stem glass. Opening, serving, pouring, and cellaring directions on bottle.

A - A totally white loose, fizzy head rests on top of a clear, bright golden color with some serious carbonation. Head retention good and leaving some sticky lacing.

S - Lots of subdued flavors going on here: Honey, sweetness, hay, damp wheat, and ginger. That is complex and awesome! Earthy a bit too.

T - Complex to the max! Ginger ale flavor with a dry wheat, honey, and a slight citrusy hoppiness. Complex yet not at the same time, weird!

M - Soda. Exactly like ginger ale soda. So much carbonation it gives it a bite. A little too much I'd say. Lighter in body.

D - While it has a different flavor, it's drinkability is pretty damn high in my opinion. Hidden alcohol in this guy is a bonus I think.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

I've been bragging this beer up to a buddy of mine, so it's high time that I give it a review. I will likely be biased in that I've drank this quite a bit and feel that it may be the best beer I've had. I'm sure there are threads in the forum on the subject, but if I was forced to pick a single beer to be stuck on a desert island with, this would be the one. Pours a hazy, yet bright gold with a tinge of orange. The head is nice and fluffy with plenty of carbonation oozing beneath. Smell is somewhat typical to the Belgian style yeast with hints of lemon, grass, and a touch of bubble gum. I don't know how to explain it, but you do get a sense of earthiness in the smell and taste. Taste is magnificent. The 7.5 abv is unnoticeable. I think saisons were typically made in the winter to be enjoyed the following summer, but it would take more willpower than I have to wait those precious months for this beer to mature. Thank goodness for modern refrigeration! Also, I've read a few reviews perhaps complaining of too much carbonation, but I feel that it is in perfect harmony with this brew.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this one on tap at the Taphouse in Oswego, Il.

The appearance is a hazy yellow with a very white frothy head. The lacing is great from start to end.

The first smells are yeast and honey, followed by cloves. There are also citrus notes, very lemony.

Wow, this is delicious. This is the first time I've had this and I'm thoroughly impressed. I've had a couple other from Ommegang that I enjoyed, but this may take the cake. The nose is all lemon and pepper, but after the swallow this bursts with a ton of other flavors, specifically banana, clove, and honey. The transition from spicey to sweet is simply amazing. Very unique.

The body is medium-full and smooth. Good carbonation that is crisp and clean. The pepper and cloves sting the tongue slightly, then the sweetness tones it down.

I was shocked to learn the abv for this one. I couldn't taste it at all. It's delicious, smooth, refreshing, and intriguing. That's a great combination that makes it very amusing.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

light colored and looks very light. Has some awsome bubble carbonation that doesn't go away.Looks almost like a coors light with more head. Has some german characteristics in the smell. Light hops and sweet malts. Very balanced taste. Has slight hop bitterness with a nice sweetness and good, smoothe aftertaste. The drinkability is awesome. you could drink several of these in quick succession without feeling like streaking. At 7.5 %, not a joke, and kinda dangerous. My favorate from Ommegang, which is saying a lot.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Bomber poured to pint glass.

A: Semi-opaque orange color that glows extremely vibrantly with a beautiful two-finger head. There's not a single bubble visible within the head just a puffy layer of white. Great retention on the head that is visible the for the entire drink, supported by a very strong stream of bubbles. Just looking at this one is mouthwatering.

S: Smells wheaty with strong traces of citrus along with caramel and apples.

T: Very wheaty with strong Belgian yeast. Strong caramel and honey, citrus, clove, and apples with a bit of pear and possibly the slightest amount of banana. Dry slight floral hop finish. Fairly complex and well balanced flavors do a great job of masking the alcohol up till the very end. I had originally given this one a 4 in taste, but after the second one I had I was able to appreciate it a lot more. Serve this one around 50-55ish, the flavor comes out sooo much more and is 10x more enjoyable.

M: Stays strongly carbonated the entire drink, very smooth and crsip. Perfect.

D: Overall very drinkable, extremely tasty, consistent carbonation makes for a very enjoyable drink that doesn't grow old or become overpowering with alcohol.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I poured into a pint glass to a white fluffy head. It was a cloudy pale yellow color. I get lemony, citrusy aromas. The taste is better than expected. My friend Alkemy raves about this beer and we enjoy different styles of beer. It has lemon and spice flavors. It is very drinkable. I would have enjoyed this even more on a hot summer day than a rainy, cold Monday, but overall a nice selection. I would still drink Allagash White first though.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Beer pours a light golden color with a good 1 finger head, excellent carbonation that is perfect for the style. Head disappears quickly but good lacing is left in glass. Smell is of slight citrus with a pleasant fruitiness throughout, some subtle spice comes through. Taste is of simple spice with a subdued fruitiness that is not overdone, very little bitterness. Faint hint of malt, but definitely not the focus of the beer. Beer finishes dry and crisp. Though a high ABV beer alcohol is well hidden and only begins to appear after beer has warmed considerably.

A great beer to have on a spring summer evening as things are beginning to warm up. One of the better American interpretations of the style.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

This is a hard beer for me to judge as this is probably the only saison I have had, but is it delicious or what! I think the only reason I haven't tried them is because of the price tag of some of these french/belgian farmhouse beers.

A- Light golden color with a big frothy head that stays the entire drink.

S- Smell is yeasty, with dry fruit and caramel malt in the background

T- Yeasty to start, then the malt kicks in with a nice caramel flavor, some hops add a spicy sting, then it finishes with a dry yeasty flavor and heat from the alcohol

M- This is a lighter bodied beer than other similar high gravity brews. High carbonation as well, but there also is a certain hardness to it, this must be from the carbonates or other minerals in the water.

D- This is a delicious brew and the light body gives it the drinkability that makes A-B blush. With the high alcohol content I am happy I can only afford this once in a while.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang