Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,380 | Reviews: 2,077
3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

My first Farmhouse Ale ever so bear with me.

A: Fat head with larger bubbles that isn't going anywhere soon. Very bright yellow with a tint of orange. But a tad weak.

S: Very sweet toasty malt. A bit of cloves and very faint banana. Some fruity notes as well.

T: Pretty tart. Really reminds me of a Strong Belgian Pale Ale. Is there not much difference? Lemon lime with a smooth caramel malt likeness on the back end. Really tangy stuff. I like it.

M: Seems common for the style and in style I mean Strong Belgian Pale Ale as that is what it feels like to me.

D: A bit too overcarbonated for my liking.

May have this about 5 degrees too cold so chances are I will like it more as it warms. Overall I do like this beer and would go for it again. Still can't stop thinking of Duvel as I drink it. I really need to research how close to the style it is.

D: Just seems too tart for me to handle drinking a lot of this. Almost puckering.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Hennepin. Great stuff. I've had this lots of times before, both at the brewery and far away from it and I've loved it every time.

a: poured from a 750ml bottle into a Ommegang tulip glass. Quickly forms a 3 finger flat-white head (which slowly dissapates), even with a gentle pour. Clear, bright golden color with lots of carbonation. Excellent.

s: strong and complex aroma. almost indistinguishable from genuine Belgian saisons. surprisingly funky nose on this one (horse blanket, grassy hay), along with some malts and a subtle hint of hops.

t: lots of funk flavor in the forefront, with delicate malts to round it out a bit. hop flavor is noticeable, but by no means oppressive. belgian yeast adds another facet of complexity. excellent stuff.

m&d: pleasently bubbly mouthfeel, goes down smooth. drinkability is outsanding, since it's inexpensive (6 dollars for my bottle), easy to obtain and very easy to drink.

before trying hennepin, i was not a fan of the style, but since then i've really enjoyed saisons. i'd say this is still up there on my top 5 saison list.

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Wow, I've never seen a beer with a head like this one. It was easily 4+ fingers tall. It filled 1/2 of my pint glass with a meringue like bright white head. I did not use an aggressive pour because I was trying not to get any trub in my glass. The label says not to be too delicate with the pour so as to "create a luxurious head." I definitely saw that. The meringue like head stayed around for the whole 750 ml bottle. It was easy to refresh the head with each pour. (3 times in total.) The beer color was a cloudy bright yellow. Kind of like if you mixed a BMC & a witbier.

S: Cloves, Cloves, and more Cloves!! As a matter of fact, I grabbed the spice jar of cloves from the cupboard and it smelled exactly like that an almost as intense!

T: Again, cloves and more cloves along with a sweet after taste. I was reminded of those clove spice jelly beans that are common around Easter time. I really like those jelly beans and was surprised to find a beer that tasted like that but in a good way.

M: OK to good I guess. I was so overwhelmed by the surprising flavor it was hard to pay attention to this.

D: I finished the whole 750 ml bottle while making the baked ziti for dinner. I took the last sip with dinner. Next time I think I'll wait to crack this open until after dinner due to the sugary sweetness.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: A nice hazy yellow, with a big billowy white head. Good lacing.

S: A lot of spice and some dark fruit.

T: Good, but not as great as the other reviews made it out to be. Did not meet my expectations. Has a sour fruity taste, with a sweet aftertaste. Mainly spicy and citrus up front.

M: Well carbonated, but not heavy.

D: High. It was shared with friends, but one can easily finish off a 750 ml bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

750 ml bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a hazy gold with a two finger white head with great retention leaving patchy lacing. Aromas of lemon, yeast, spice and some grass. Vanilla, melon, spices-corriander, sweet orange and floral hop flavors blend nicely. High carbonation, medium body with a dry spicy finish. A great beer to pair with food or enjoy on its own.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

A - This beer poured a hazy orange amber color that produced a foamy white head that produced a decent amount of lace and had a moderate amount of retention

S - The aroma produced by this beer had some grains, fruity esters with a pinch of sour, and some spiciness

T - The taste of this beer started with a graininess, a golden fruitiness of pears and apples, and some spiciness of clove

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This beer is pretty well done, it is light on the body, perfect drink in the hot weather of the south

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz. bottle pour. Golden yellow color with a perfect small bubble head. Lots of lacing. High carbonation but not distracting. Smell of grass and spice. Not much more in the nose, but certainly pleasant. Mouthfeel is light thank to the abundant carbonation. First taste yielded lemon and spice notes. This morphed into a subtle maltiness as it warmed. A near perfect bitter finish. What a lovely beer, and we're lucky to have it in abundance.

Let me add that I have the big bottle often and this was the first 12 oz. bottle I have enjoyed.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from 750 mL bottle.

A: A pale gold with lots of pure white head. Good head retention. Lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

S: Mostly citrus: lemon, orange, and grapefruit. A little yeast aroma as well.

T: Somewhat sour and fruity (not really citrus; apple or pear maybe). A touch of sweetness, with some wheat flavor as well. Small alcohol warmth at the back end.

M: Smooth, light body. Instead of crispness, the carbonation gives it a very velvet- or silk-like feel.

D: This beer was smooth and refreshing, and balances the alcohol well. I split the 750 mL bottle with one other person but I could have easily finished it myself.

This beer seems like a good introduction for me to the Saison style. I will be on the look out for others as this one was pretty tasty, and a good change from the usual Belgians available.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Hazy golden color with big bubbled head. The taste took me by surprise, I was not expecting such a hard cider like taste to it. Great aroma of ginger and citrus. Very bubbly in the mouth. Very crisp and clean taste. Would have probably been even better on a hot day.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz bottle into shaker pint. Came in a Ommegang variety pack and is the first time I have seen this in a 12 oz bottle.

A- Pale gold to straw with a slight haze. Pours with a beautiful white, soap-like head. The lacing also appears soap-like and very clingy. Pretty active carbonation.

S- Wheat, lemon zest, and a little yeast. Not very complex, but interesting enough.

T- Starts off with wheat and malt flavor and quickly melds into more lemon zest and yeast, followed by a peppery character. Finishes fairly hot at 7.7%, not much malt to counteract that alcohol.

M- Fairly strong carbonation and a lighter body.

D- On the low end of the drinkability scale for a saison, but pleasant enough to have a few.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A beer haiku for you:

American? Oui!
Belgian style, no regrets here;
Reservations--gone.

My reluctance about an American 'poseur' to the fine Belgian tradition was removed with this beer. Didn't seem to have quite the alcohol 'kick' of several world class Belgians, but that obviously added to the "drinkability". No reservations about having more than two at one sitting without feeling crapulent or hammered. Not the world's leader in this category, but well worthwhile.
Happy Christmas to all--cheers!

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

poured from 750mL bottle into an Ommegang tulip glass

A - Poured a thick honey golden color with a fiesta of bubbles racing from the bottom of the glass to the top. A generous bubbly head with lacing that crawls down the side of the glass.

S - Citrus, fruit medley...almost candy-like. Smells AMAZING.

T - You really can't go wrong with this beer. Nice hops, touch bitter, touch sweet, just fantastic.

M - Lots of carbonation. Leaves a bit of a bittery dry aftertaste.

D - Like all of Ommegang's beers, this is extremely delicious and drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pale, golden straw color; a very 'bright' looking beer. Lots of bubbles with 2 fingers of fluffy white head. Decentlacing.

S: Great aroma with fruit, yeast and pepper. Either the pale malt or the yeast add a hint of bread.

T: Pepper and yeast up front followed by candi sugars with a mildly spicy finish.

M: Medium mouthfeel with serious carbonation.

D: Highly drinkable, fantastic brew.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Bright yellow body, thick white head that sticks around and leaves quite a bit of lacing, some effervescence from the bottom of the glass. Body becomes hazier as you get closer to the bottom of the bottle. Very nice.

S: Sour brett notes up-front with a bit of a citrus sweetness way underneath. Hints of bready malt.

T: Mmhmm.... it takes me a bit to get past the farmhouse flavors here, but once my tongue gets used to it there's an amazing confluence of flavors underneath. A strong yeastiness is definitely present here, as is a nice crisp citrus flavor. The finish is dry but clean.

M: Moderate thickness, but coats the palate nicely due to the heavy yeastiness. Slightly chewy.

D: This beer just gets better as it warms. I'm still fairly new to farmhouse ales, but I can definitely see making this a regular stop on my rotation, especially in the summer.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A cloudy yellow/straw color with a thick white head. Lots of carbonation can be seen in the glass.

S: Bready with some belgian yeast funk, a little bit of peppery spice and some hop aroma. Smells very crisp.

T: A big biscuity/wheat flavor with some yeast and slight earthy hop flavor. There is the typical belgian funk with a lemony tart, pepper feel and flavor to this beer. Also a clove/ginger flavor in there that just keeps on giving and stays on the tongue for quite a while

M: Highly carbonated. It gives it a peppery feel. Finishes a little bit bitter, dry and crisp.

D: Good drinkability. The flavors are strong and there is alot of carbonation and that could limit the drinkability. But the flavors are great and do not get old and you can barely detect the alcohol.

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a fairly clear yellow-orange with a huge, crackled head that is slow to dissolve and never fully does. Strong spices dominate the aroma, Belgian yeast, clove, some flowery/spicy hops. Flavor is sweet upfront and followed by more driven spices and an alcohol warmth. Its light-medium bodied with a prickly carbonation. This has a great wealth of spices in both the aroma and the flavor that some people might find a little overpowering but I thought it worked nicely with the slight grassy/spicy hops.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

On-tap at the Church Key, one of my favorites that I've only now gotten to out of the keg. Very excited.

Pours the expected light yellow-orange color with a nice looking white head on top that dissolves slowly and allows for nice lacing. Aromas and flavors are huge - big fruitiness, some bread, cookies, farmhouse funk shows up as well. It's a huge flavor and absolutely fantastic. Body and carbonation are busy and good for the style. Would definitely have it again, and most likely will.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

A-pours a cloudy yellow/gold color with carbonation bubbles, white soapy head with some lacing

S-yeast, bread, some citrus notes, alcohol

T-similar to smell with a sweet start and dry finish, oak/pine, has a slight alcohol presence at the end

M-really enjoy the mouth feel, nice carbonation

D-its not my favorite style of beer, but I think a great version of the style

4.65/5  rDev +12%

On tap in a Hennepin tulip at the KC saucer.

A: pours a cloudy white straw color with ample head.
S: smells wonderful.. spicy corriander with a hint of alcohol.
T: a bit of hops up-front with some (unexpected) banana in the middle. Slight alcohol at the end and corriander throughout. I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Delicious.
M: lots of carbonation, but feels a bit.. full and flat on the tongue. Carbonation is apparent in the back of the mouth.
D: I can kick this back like it's water.. but it is so good I choose not to.

Random: I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Definitely more delicious as it warms.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I bought the holiday pck consisting of this one,three philosophers,and the chocolate indulgence. Damn did I pick a winner here.

Poured in to my Ommegang snifter.Pours a very hazy yellow color with an extreme white fizzy heading that just about fizzes out to a a thin heading around the edges.

Smell was immediate as soon as I popped the cork. Very tart and fruity upfront followed by a lemon zestiness. A nice clove to dress thing's up and finish it off.

Taste and Mouth is pretty much the same extreme fruity tartiness, and very zesty. A nice hoppiness as well along with some very sweet malts. The palate is a alive and kicking with some corriander,clove,pepper,spiciness. Simply awesome. Again very alive and bubbly on the tongue. Medium bodied and just an amazing overall mouth feel.

Drink is great a nice offering of alcohol but never really stands out. Easy drinking and easily enjoyable. A must have in my book.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I find that Saison's tend to be hit or miss; though when they have hit, they've hit like Tyson in the 90's.

A: Pours a bright gold with a massive white head that remains for quite awhile. It's appearance reminds me somewhat of Duvel.

S: Holy cow, it even smells like Duvel. Hints of pear and sugar, along with subtle hops. I wonder if Ommegang uses the same hops as Duvel uses.(Styrian Golding, perhaps?)

T: A bouquet of citrus and sugar with a tart aftertaste. Some mild bread as well. I remember the first time I had this brew and didn't exactly love it. I suppose things have changed. Amazing!

M: Well carbonated with a dry prickly finish. Almost seems to finish exactly like I recall Duvel's finish. While they are different styles (Begian Strong versus Saison) I imagine using the same hops is obviously going to make them seem similar.

D: This is a fantastic brew that can be enjoyed in a limited session. For some reason, there is a huge difference between drinking this in the bottle versus pouring into a glass. I had drank this once just in bottle form, and for whatever reason, pouring it into the glass was so much better. Highly recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in my Ommegang glass (almost a tulip)

Aroma: Not a huge aroma overall. Low hop nose with some citrus (orange) and a hint of spice (coriander?). Maybe even a faint floral note?

Appearance: Golden in color with a yellowish-orange tint. Very tall, white head with good retention (slow dissipation) that leaves some trail on the glass. Somewhat cloudy, but rising bubbles are still visible.

Flavor: Crisp citrusy hop flavor with some spice notes (seems to be ginger). Maybe a bit of light maltiness and yeast flavor present? Very slight bit of alcohol in background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a very enjoyable, smooth finish that doesn't linger too long. Enough carbonation to feel it on your tongue.

Overall Impressions: There is quite a bit going on here that I cannot quite put into words (this was one of my early reviews). Very refreshing Belgian that is not too heavy. Gets better as it warms a bit. I could and would drink this beer everyday.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Hazy, pale yellow coloring with nice lacing.

S: Not getting much on the nose, good or bad.

T: Citrus, yeast, bread, slight coriander.

M: Nice oily coating on the palate.

D: Highly drinkable. Quite impressed with the craftmanship of this beer. Saison is not my favorite style, but Ommegang does a great job with this - I would have guessed this was from Belgium in a blind tasting.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours out like lemonade, hazy yellow that looks very dilute. Has an explosive head that goes up to about three fingers and dies down to about one and retains at that point very well. The color is not that attractive but I think the haziness is due to me pouring in some of the sediment. Other than that the appearance is pretty strong. Smell is a mix of Belgian yeast and malts, some fruit (apples, bananas) and a bit of sour. The overall strength of the smell is a bit weak and I start to pick up more and more alcohol as I drink it. Taste is pretty much the same as smell. Belgian yeast and malty flavors, fruits (apples, bananas), alcohol and some sour. A tiny bit of hops. It is stronger than the nose and pretty much just a solid Belgian flavor. It eventually dies down to a very dry almost rye like taste with alcohol, the loss of flavor is disappointing. Mouthfeel is pretty suitable. The carbonation is medium and the body is pretty light but a bit creamy. Not really watery at all. This beer is pretty warm for 7.5%. Drinkability would be better if the alcohol did not take over and the flavors did not die. The price is not that great for how much I liked this beer. Maybe I'll try it again after I have some more Saisons.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a yellowish oragnish grapefruit like color with a pillowy head that gives way to decent lacing. The aroma is of sweet malt and some citrus. The taste is sweet malt backbone with some citrus hints. The mouthfeel is very carbonated and bubbly. This is a very drinkable beer, nothing to turn you off, but it is a slighty funky taste, the alcohol is well hidden.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang