Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

slightly hazy golden honey peach with white head that holds well and leaves nice lace. smells of yeasty spice (clove, pepper, etc.), - like a saison should, but not quite as strong or authentic as i am used to in my favorite saisons - lemon, pils malt, a little barnyard, and mildly sweet bread. taste is the same. the pepper/clove thing really hits the roof of my mouth and top/back of my throat, creating a dry/bitter (but only mildly so) finish. medium full body with a good carb level. okay beer. good saison representation for an american made brew. what amazes me is that saison dupont and it's sister beer foret don't rank anywhere close to this one, and they seem more true to the style for me. i guess that part of that has to do with the fact that a lot of these reviews are by people whom for which this is their first saison. when i think saison, i think super earthy, even horsey - like i'm smelling the beauty of a horse barn on a farm way out in the mountains somewhere. hennepin comes close, but doesn't do it for me. i rated it extra high because it is an american take on a classic belgian style, and they actually do a great job, but i'll take a dupont or de glazen toren, or fantome or southhampton for a few more duckets any day of the week.

edit: okay... i get it. this is a grisette, not a saison. i have tried many many times, but i just can't take this beer. i avoid this beer like the plague. it is the sam adams of belgian-style beer. toned down and dummied up to suit unschooled palates. sorry ommegang, i appreciate what you do for us, i just don't like this one.

timtim, Jan 21, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Hennepin pours a nice golden peach color with a bit of a haze. Massive fluffy head seems to be lingering quite well. great lace. nose is wonderful wheat and barnyard funk. Clearly some strong spice in here as well. Great hard saison taste. Very pronounced wheat and yeast flavor with good peppery spiciness. This is no Dupont but it is quite good. At this point the haze is starting to fade a little bit from warmth, but is still very present. Flavors are becoming earthier at this point. The aftertaste has some nice banana notes. The mouthfeel is slightly abrasive on the tongue, but overall quite good. Drinkability is solid on this one, and is impressive. Overall this is a great saison style, certainly one of the best in america. Props to ommegang, I think this is my favorite brew from them.

AKBelgianBeast, Jan 21, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

750 ml bottle poured into a goblet.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I was slightly let down by this ale. Bottle-conditioned, Belgian-style ale brewed in Cooperstown, NY? And one of the "Duvel family" of ales? I wanted to like it--no, LOVE it.

The verdict is in, and I would submit that it's pretty good, but not great. (Disclaimer: This was my first foray into the "saison/farmhouse" type of ale, so I can't relate it to others of the same type.) The bottom line is that the dryness and lemony-ness of this ale are overpowering. Considering the healthy ABV, and the fact that it's a Belgian-type knockoff, I would ask for a little more complexity. This ale has a lot of flavor; it's just not as interesting it could be (kind of like typing in ALL CAPS).

Apparently many other reviewers like it, so it might be at the top of its class for all I know; I can only speak within the limitations of my own experience.

Would I drink it again? Certainly. Would I *buy* it again? Not at that price point--there are better alternatives.

jonworth, Jan 20, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Another great beer from Ommegang... those folks up there in New York sure do know their Belgian brews... an excellent rendition of the style... full of style and flavor... great appearance with visible carbonation, off-yellow, and nice foamy head... sweet smell of fruits, citrus, and slight alcohol... great crispy, fruity, lemon-citrus taste with hints of esters and alcohol... the 7.7% ABV is noticeable, but not at all overwhelming... a thick, full-flavored beer that really hits home... mouthfeel is good, and if it weren't for the hefty alcohol percentage, drinkability would definitely be better... great example of the style... authentic and classy... a really good brew... another winner from Ommegang... Recommended...

dsa7783, Jan 12, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

This was my first Ommegang beer, as well as the first saison/farmhouse ale I've had. I'd have to say this was a super first go. It had a somewhat opaque appearance, with an amber hue. There was a strong odor of fruit about this one. It tasted strongly of bananas and other spices, giving it a smooth yet vibrant finish. This is lovely beer, one that you can easily get attached to.

avalon07, Jan 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Poured a hazy golden color with a white head that leaves lacing

S - Is of bananas clove and yeast

T - Is more of the same bananas clove and yeast

M - Is good its a medium bodied beer

D - I enjoyed this brew a lot I thought it was very good very easy to drink I would recommend this beer

armock, Jan 06, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +7%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a Stone IPA flute. No dating.

A: Pours a very pale yellow with some cloudiness after a careful pour. 2+ fingers of pearl white rocky head forms and has some decent retention. Some patchy lacing to start, then nice thick rings about midway through.

S: Very yeasty. Banana, clove, green apples. Grainy malts. I like this smell much better than the other saison's I've had.

T/M: Again, lots of yeasty flavors. More of the Banana and clove and other spices. Very delicate tasting. Grainy, earthy, and starchy yeast and malts. Body is very light and carbonation is plentiful.

D: Great brew, very tasty and drinkable. This one really sets a bar, especially for an American Belgian.

pwoods, Jan 06, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a 750 into a Chimay chalice (3 pours). Pours a hazy golden color with a huge bright white head that has left no lacing down the glass. The aroma is amazing. This beer has more distant aromas then any other I've had. There is Nutmeg, coriander, earth, yeast, bread, and a plethora of others that I just can't name yet because my nose isn’t refined enough yet. I definitely need to return to this beer later. Taste is spicy, lots of nutmeg along with cinnamon and allspice with an earthly, alkaline taste to boot. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a bit of carbonation. An oily residue coats your mouth with this earthy goodness. Great beer.

hwwty4, Jan 06, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

poured from cork and cage bottle into Ommegang tulip glass

Appearance: Two fingers of compact white head perch on top of a slightly hazy pale golden beer that tends to straw in strong light. Head dissipates reluctantly and leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma - lilac, clove, pepper, apricot, earth and hop spice all appear at different points in your progress through the glass. Also an occasional whiff of... yes... gasoline, or a sweetness in the nose that reminds one of gasoline. Which is waaay better than it sounds.

Taste - more lilac, spicy hops, marshmallow, malt, apricot and freshly turned earth all underpin a lightly sweet pale malt flavor profile. There's a refreshing dry graininess that recalls a nice Pilsener or Dortmunder which balances out the sweetness and the riot of subtle flavors that present themselves in various combinations as you drink. Highly carbonated, which brings some Champagne-like dry notes to the party.

Mouthfeel - This beer is slightly viscous - a too-warm bottle will be a little cloying and tongue-coating, but at 50-55 degrees it's great. It is possible to wear yourself out on this beer if you let it sit and warm to 70 degrees F.

Drinkability - A compulsively sippable beer, but not exactly sessionable. I want to *quaff* a Czech pils... I want to *consider* a Hennepin carefully, preferably alone and with a nice sourdough and aged cheese. I'm such a fop.

Other stuff: A soft smack of aroma hits the nose as you raise the glass, sometimes pepper, sometimes clove and malt, sometimes lilac, which is something I have never found in any other beer. The flavor changes too as you sip, sometimes earthy and sometimes sweet, while the heavy carbonation scrubs your tongue and brings more aromas through the back of your throat. After swallowing, the aroma stays and stays on the nose while the aftertaste lingers and changes on the tongue, as malt fades into hop bitterness and then a long finish of peppery spice and floral hops. When you get a well-handled bottle, this beer is a real treat.

Absolutely one of my favorite Saisons, and one of my all-time favorites of any style.

toastdog, Jan 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This one left such an impression on me and my friends we are planning a brewery tour!!

A - Pours a dense orange with a two finger head that dissipates quickly then you're left with a small cap that laces gingerly down the glass.

S - A tart yeast dominates but doesn't disappoint. Citrus follows along with what smells like coriander.

T - Smooth but tart. A slow enjoyment seemed to taste better as it breathed a little.

M - Heavy but very subtle on the palate. Left a clean citrus feeling.

D - @ 7.7% it's hardly a session brew but 1 or 2 is just about all you need. I guess that’s why they sell it in 4 packs!!

shabbtastic, Jan 04, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a big soapy head that leaves lots of lace.

Yeasty and citrus aroma. Loads of lemon, some earthy hay, and spice with clove standing out.

Starts tart with lemon and citrus. Next comes spices and mild earthy hops. Yeast is present, adding some funk. Finishes fruity with tart apple and pear.

Light-medium in body, clean and crisp. Pretty good drinkability, but a little too tart and complex to have more than 1 or 2. Solid refreshing beer with complexity.

Lupe, Jan 01, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer is from the home of baseball, Cooperstown, NY.
Bought the large bottle at a local package store.
Upon being poured into my glass, it has a nice orange tone with a nice thick white head.
The taste is citric and slightly spicy at the same time.
The MF is very nice and gives me the urge to grab some oysters of some other high class good to eat with this delicious beer.
Very nice beer from upstate New York. Ommegang has several great beers, but this is the one that I seem to purchase most often.

mltobin, Jan 01, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a slightly fogged straw color. Nice white head. Nose is yeast funk with strong citrus and dough tones. Flavor is funky dough with an obvious yeast influence. Feel is a bit thicker on the liquid, it's the dough character peeking through again. Drinkable, yes. Not as good as I remember it being on the bottle though. Possibly a prime example of how bottle conditioning can really make a difference in certain beers.

RblWthACoz, Dec 31, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle poured a light pale straw color with a hint of orange to it. Head was rich and fluffy white with many small bubbles that faded down to a good 2-3 fingers. It smells quite like fruits and citrus such as peaches, bananas, and oranges. It also has a somewhat spicy wheat aroma to it. The taste is sweet and fruity like the smell. Not a lot of hops with just a small bitterness to round it off. It has smooth mouthfeel that isn't real thin and watery but isn't thick and syrupy. All in all, it is a very good drinkable swill. I was expecting a little more out of it, but still enjoyed it.

iceviper22, Dec 31, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Im really excited about trying Hennepin,its my first taste of Ommegang and I will be attending the Culinary Institute 20 miles from the brewery this August, Can't wait to visit.
Poured out into a small Ommegang 10 yr anniversary goblet. Lovely hazy color, reminiescent of Hoegaarden.Nice foamy head,dissapates rather quickly.Citrus, wheats, spicy pepper,straw,hay,yeast on the nose. Delicious sweet apricot,peppery,citrus flavors. finish is tart and biting. Good slightly sticky mouthfeel. For the abv, very drinkable

czfreeman, Dec 28, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

appearance – Cloudy straw-orange color, with a nice white head, that slow disapated.

smell – Yeast, fruits, like green apples, and spices.

taste – Grassy, yeast, and spices present here.

mouthfeel – Medium body wiht lots of bubbles here.

drinkability – Drank this almost a year later, pretty good. Anything from Ommegang is good. Worth a try.

auxiliary, Dec 27, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

this is my 1st. saison, i'm amazed at how close to a Belgian strong pale ale this style is ; pours a slightly cloudy pale golden colour w/ a decent, fluffy, white head which falls a bit too quickly but leaves a good bridge-like lacing in my snifter ; a sour, malty smell w/ a touch of hops, and some banana-like alcoholic fruitieness in the nose ; a full, crisp, pilsener-like malt flavor w/ a small amount of hops, a bit sour w/ some fruity esters and an aftertaste similar to a buttery Czech yeast profile ; amazingly light , especially for a 7.7 ABV, a bubbly one, too ; an awesome beer, i'll keep this one on hand at all times....

animal69, Dec 24, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

750 ml bottle

Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color with plenty of white and foamy, rocky head. A heavy amount of lacing sticks around on the side of the glass. Smell is of belgian spices, clove, banana, bubblegummy type bouquet. Taste is very sweet and dull in the finish with a creamy mouth feeling.

genog, Dec 23, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

I've really wanted to try Hennepin for a while now. The local liquor store got my request in only two weeks time. $6.99 a bomber w/no freshness dating.

I wasn't that impressed with the pour in my Chimay goblet. The head died down after a minute. Very golden colored and just a bit cloudy. The yeast are stuck right on the bottom of the glass. Lots of bubbles though ...

Right away I can smell the spicy-ness and hay. A little bit of funkiness. This is definitely a good sign of things to come.

The taste was very Belgian Pale Ale like .. reminded me a bit of Duvel, but not as sweet. Belgian candi sugar & ginger like. Right away there was some pepper and earthiness/grass to contrast the initial sweetness. After the spicy-ness was just a touch of hay and yes ... a touch of horse blanket (I always wanted to use that adjective for a beer review). After all those flavors a medium punch of Noble hops left my tongue a bit dry. I couldn't detect any hotness at all.

The carbonation was spot on ... constant bubbling and very effervescent, this beer felt alive. The second pour I managed to coax all the yeast into the beer and it pushed the taste to 4.5 territory with a bit more bitterness and spicy-ness. I wanted to drink more right after putting the glass down on my desk.

diamondc, Dec 22, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Poured up in a goblet. Beer is golden yellow with a creamy white head that dissipates to a this cap on top of the beer.

S - Slightly sweet malty smell with a hint of citrus. Very refreshing.

T - Starts off crisp and finishes with a residual sweetness on the edges of the tongue. No apparent alcohol taste.

M - Strongly carbonated. Makes it feel extremely full.

D - Extremely drinkable beer. I could drink this all day. Well, until the 7% alcohol kicks in. Deceptively smooth.

I'm not a big Belgian drinker. I like them, but infrequently consume them. This is one that makes me change my mind.

hiikeeba, Dec 20, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Tremendous offering from Ommegang, naturally. I hadn't had Hennepin in about a year, and it won't be that long before I have another. It's just too good to wait that long between tastes.

From the 25.4 oz. bottle, three fingers of dense white froth top the mug of dark blond body, really beautiful. Prominent malty aroma wafts from the mug, with moderate spiciness and fruity goodness. These tastes explode in the mouth, also bringing suggestions of sour, tart fruit--likely lemon, maybe raspberry. Extremely impressive. Bold carbonation blends with smooth texture, eliciting excellent drinkability that effortlessly elides the moderately high ABV.

First rate product, not to be passed up.

Gehrig, Dec 15, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

On tap in a pint glass at 69 taps in Akron OH.

A - Golden amber color with not much head. The bartender poured the beers to the rim not leaving much room for head. This is ashame although they were cute.

S - Faint sweet smell.

T - Sweet with a fruity citrus taste.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation and a great finish.

D - Great, I could drink this all day.

jeffmonarch, Dec 14, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A cloudy golden liquid pours from the bottle with a two finger head in my wide mouth goblet. The smell is distinctly similar to a pino grigio or dry white wine with an astringenty kind of smell. The taste is at first tart, but mild fruit esters and a strong phenol spicyness comes through and then diminishes to expose a lovely malty backbone. This beer is sharply carbonated with a moderate body. Despite its subdued flavor profile the tart-spicy-malty transition is infinitely interesting to my taste buds and I find it draws me to that next sip before I really get to understand the first. I need more. Damn good beer.

BeerLover729, Dec 13, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +7%

A: poured into a snifter from a 12oz bottle. pale golden hazy color with a thick rocky head with fair retention - settles into a thin rim with minimal lacing.

S: Light fruity smell. Hints of pear and strawberrys with a bit of spicy hops. Yeasty and bready typical of belgians.

T: Spicy and tart with notes of light fruit such as pear. Dry peppery aftertaste with a touch of hop bitterness.

M: Light highly carbonated.

D: Light complex flavor combined with medium abv makes this very drinkable.

Very good beer. Remind me of why I like belgians.

elmore, Dec 09, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

This brew pours with a super fluffy, pillowy head and a clear, straw body. A beauty.
The smell has a bit of that sharpness that you look for in a Saison. Not super stinky, but you know it's there.
The taste is clean, sharp, a bit sweet and tart. A really nice balance of flavours. It has a faint similarity to a good pilsner in that the same flowery characteristic you look for. Definitely on my recommend list.
Mouthfeel is prickily yet creamy, and the drinkability is quite good.

DaveFL1976, Dec 07, 2007