Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
guitarmage

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Very clear straw yellow with a billowy white head, soapy and rocky, lots of bubbles floating up the glass.

Smell: Very aromatic, a little yeasty sweetness, citrus, faint spicy alcohol, a little floral, real complex smell.

Taste: A very spicy tartness with alcohol in the nose, cloves and pepper, the flavors linger and then end with a very dry finish. Suggestions of lime, anise, rosemary, oregano? I'm trying to place some flavors, but this has so much going on.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, carbonation is bubbly, body is medium and slick, finish is very dry, leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: A very cool beverage regardless of style, refreshing like a lager but as complex as any. Very easy to drink and a cool complex saison.

02-24-2007 22:55:28 | More by guitarmage
tonistruth

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A- cloudy pale gold color with a frothy two finger whte head and excellent retent on that, some thin lacing

S- floral, biscuit, toasty, sweet

T- malt sweetness hits first, then comes spicy, hoopy, and earthy flavors, tangy citrus in there as well. Tart finish and aftertaste

M- light bodied and smooth, carbonation tickles

D- sessionable and delightful, highly refreshing and drinkable. alcohol not noticeable. loving this brew and this style

02-23-2007 19:09:08 | More by tonistruth
Winter

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Hennepin is the 2nd beer from Brewery Ommmegang that I've tried. The first was their Witte beer, that I enjoyed quite a bit. This sample came from the 12 oz bottle.

Hennepin pours hazy golden in color with a thick micro-bubble white head. It leaves a thick soapy lacing down the side of the glass. The nose consists of peach, pineapple, hops, bready malt, vanilla, banana and some spicy yeast. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and airy. Soft from carbonation, yet crisp at the same time. The taste has a spicy front combined with fruit flavors. Middle is sweet with some banana and maybe a touch of wheat. At this point things turn acidic with a lemony twang. Hennepin finish dry.

Impressive to say the least. Despite the 7.7% abv, this is a light drinking saison. It would be easy to quaff a few of these on a warm summer afternoon.

02-19-2007 02:50:41 | More by Winter
paleoplant

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

This is one of those beers that turned me on to the style. I feel that Ommegang produces a wonderful saison. The appearance was a light straw color with a good head. The foam remained for a long time. The smell was unique and unclassifiable. Someone told me it had a hint of horse-blanket, and I would have to say I agree. Besides this aspect, the taste and mouth feel were wonderful.

02-19-2007 02:15:51 | More by paleoplant
Jwaks

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Serving 750ml bottle

This beer has great looks with a light golden yellow body revealing a storm of carbonation welling up to an awesome dense, thick and frothy half finger thick white head. Lacing and retention are great, this brew's head just refuses to give up, it's so thick and rich that beer can't be seen through the tight, dense frothy cap. The color could be a bit richer with a bit of haze.

The nose is quite aromatic, rife with brown pears, red delicious apples, honey, a bit of allspice, floral meadow flowers and bready yeast with hints of earthy spices, lemon zest and buttery phenols.

Loads of sweet sickle pear, light honey, a bit of tart golden delicous apple flavors make a smooth entry with a bit of bitter yeast with more apple peaking on the mid palate paired with a bit of allspice, spicy alcohol, lemon zest and fresh cut hay flavors. A welcome smooth finish boasts creamy mouthfeel with more sweet honeyed autumn fruit and buttery phenols melding into a delicious spicy finish with a kick of sweet lemon zest and pale malt. This is sweeter than other saisons which aptly emphasize spicy floral flavors rather than sweet honeyed autumn fruit though this has a great pale malt body to support it's sweet fruity flavor. A bit too sweet and refined for a saison, a saison should be a bit wild and unrefined, it needs a more piquant spices!

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, great for a saison, with just enough bitter hops to slightly pucker the mouth on the mid palate and finish. This is just not complex enough for to keep my drinking more than one bottle though a few glasses is a great achievement in itself.

Wow, new Belgium has sprung up in Cooperstown NY! Kudos to Ommegang for brewing a great, fruity saison!

Cheers!

02-14-2007 23:51:16 | More by Jwaks
xzqrut

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from the big bottle, came out a nice golden haze, with thick head and lacing throughout. Smell was good, not great, had nice spice and citrus smells, good grain odors as well. Taste the same, with some mild hoppiness, good crisp finish. Mouthfeel was lively, with decent carbonation and the lacing reaching the mouth. Very good beer!

02-14-2007 00:15:26 | More by xzqrut
crayphish

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a bomber into my over sized wine glass. Radiant yellow with a big fluffy white head. Decent lacing. A bit cloudy with some fat carbonation trails. Smell is spicy malt and with a hint of hops. Taste is fruit and spice with enough malt and hops to make it a well rounded taste. Nice full mouth feel. The 7.7% alcohol is hidden nicely. I could drink a few bombers in a setting no doubt. Another Ommegang work of art.

02-13-2007 03:33:52 | More by crayphish
Onibubba

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

From the large bottle into a tulip. Large white head which dissipates rather quickly into a somewhat foamy, sticky mess. Cloudy pale yellow. Lots of floaties suspended in bottle, but allowing it to warm and settle before pouring helped. Subsequent porus did not yield as much head. Aroma is much funkier and spicier than I remember from the smaller bottles. This is good. Taste is also better than I remembered. Slightly tart, some nice white pepper spice to it, and a slight case of the funk. Mothfeel is a bit too high on the corbonation for my liking, but this calms down if you allow the beer to sit and warm.

Like most Saisons I've had the pleasure of trying, the drinkability of this beer is quite high. Alcohol is a non issue and taste is not extreme enough in either direction (bitter vs sweet) to limit drinkability. After embracing Dupont, I looked upon this beer with some disdain. That was a dis-service. This is a fine beer, nicely priced, and easier to obtain than most Saisons.

02-08-2007 14:01:46 | More by Onibubba
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Pours golden/bronze with effervescence & 3 fingers of white fluffy whip cream-like head. Mindblowing lacing & head retention

S: Hay & grain up front, then a little breadyness.

T: Fruitty with a hint of grain & lemon up front. Pepper & dryness follows as this warms. Apple skins & earthy yeastyness are also present. Some alcohol, dryness & wheat tartness come with the finish, plus a little more yeasty funk

MF: Spritzy & light/medium bodied

Fairly drinkable, saisons aren't really my thing but this one is pretty good across the board. As good as many I've seen in Belgium

02-07-2007 04:47:35 | More by russpowell
mfreire212

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Having been to the Ommegang Brewery (Cooperstown, NY) in the recent past, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised to find all of their products locally, upon returning to Florida.

During our tour, we tried Hennepin and I was impressed. So, I decided to grab a bottle and try it again, at home (standard bottle, pilsner glass).

It poured wonderfully and showed off an impressive yellow/amber color. The head was plentiful and lasted well into the review.

Upon lifting the glass to my nose, the aroma was strong, but pleasant (spicy, citrusy).

Hennepin has a smooth start and a decent amount of cabonation. To me, the spices become more evident in the middle and the finish, but not overly so. All in all, a smooth experience from start to finish.

I have since bought several bottles to keep on hand, and I would definitely recommend this beer to all.

02-05-2007 17:05:44 | More by mfreire212
supercolter

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Wow this beer is much better than the previous saison I had. I didn't like the first but I always give styles at least three chances and this one is very good.
The quality is apparent in the massive head and lacing.
The smell and taste are very similar, with some citrusy fruit followed by a chunky tasting malt and spice.
Mouthfeel is medium in body.
Drinkability is decent.

02-05-2007 03:53:34 | More by supercolter
vwcraig

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz. bottle from Dawg's Bottle Shop

Clear, light golden color with a firm white foamy head. The most impressive thing to me was the carbonation in the goblet I poured it into. The beads of carbo were very fast rising and spiraled to the top sustaining the head on top. This lasted the entire drink of 25 min. or so. Fresh green apple smell and a different sweet fruity smell also. Inviting smell that leads into similar tastes. Didn't know what to expect with taste because this was my first saison, but was impressed. Champagne-like dryness and fizziness. Sourness of like, a white grape thats not quite ripe. Fizzy mouthfeel but not overdone. Very drinkable and will have to try this again and some other saisons.

02-04-2007 19:17:27 | More by vwcraig
Rudgers73

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I am re-reviewing this beer from my trip to the Ommegang brewery. When I first tried this beer before I didn't really like it, but the recent trip to the brewery changed my mind quite a bit. The beer is supposed to taste rustic and earthy, and in furthering my beer appreciation I think I respect this beer a lot more now. At a small bar in town I drank it all friday night (and it sure does sneek up on you...) I couldn't get enough of it. It changes so much with temperature being more grainy and earthy at colder temps, then warming up to a huge array of citrus, spices, and hops. This beer is awesome and next to the Ommegang it is now my 2nd favorite.

02-04-2007 19:01:19 | More by Rudgers73

And
this is
a well-recommended
delicious saison ale!
Pours a clear golden yellow
with a billowy white-
two to three finger head
Just like the bottle says
pale hoppy crisp and rustic:
wild lemon-ginger tart yeast
with the unique "belgian" estery aroma-
anyone who has had a "belgian"
beer can recognize.
with a well hidden
7.5 %alcohol
and a smooth drinkability
this is an excellent ale

{although...
poured another one
stirring the bottle conditioned yeast
into the brew and it was like
night and day
a more "abbey-style" taste
opaque yellow-red color
and less crisp tartness:
almost seeming a totally different beer}

nevertheless
either way
is very good
although I highly recomend not stirring the
residual yeast in
enjoy!

02-03-2007 04:20:35 | More by meadhead
andrewmartin

One of my personal favorites (a now one of my wife's favorites as well).

A: Pale gold, slightly cloudy, with an absolutely huge head

S: Yeasty, estery, with funky spices.

T: A beautiful balance of sweet malts and esters balanced by a nice sharp bitterness and spiciness. Also a nice backdrop of horseblanket that rounds things out. I have to say that even though the bottle says to leave the yeast behind, I think the added yeast really improves the character, making everything softer and mellower.

M: A great creamy/spritzy combo that works well with food.

D: So refreshing, so complex, a beer for almost any occassion.

02-02-2007 01:15:20 | More by andrewmartin
hseritt

Georgia

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Got this from the standard 12oz Hennepin bottle and poured it into a lager-style glass. It honestly did have one of the tightest foam heads I've seen in a while. Head was a very clean white-capped 2" foam. The foam dissipated very quickly and left a very nice lacing throughout the drink. The color of the beer was a light gold.

The smell was very faint. I even ordered a second one just for another opportunity to see if I missed something (I promise!) in the scent.

The alcohol content for Hennepin is relatively high for domestics (about 7% or so). However, the taste shined through the alcohol very easily. One could taste things like lemon and light hops but not fruity enough to make one stand up and take note (the fruitiness in beer is honestly not much my thing -- so nothing lost too much).

The feel was light but definitely not too light. I detected a fair amount of chewiness but not a heck of a lot. Again I am neutral on this.

I could very easily entertain a session of Hennepin but without the price I found at a local pub. I would drink it again gladly... unfortunately, for the moment there are other ales that have caught my attention over this one.

01-31-2007 18:04:56 | More by hseritt
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

This poured a nice yellow/gold color w/ a nice fluffy white head that resembled a foam pillow more than bubbles. The smell hit me from almost a foot away. I actually had to get closer to be sure I was actually smelling the beer. It has a nice citrus smell. The taste was nice, citrus with just enough bite, some wheaty bread taste as well. A very nice beer to enjoy. I watched it during a movie and it held my attention more than the movie did I believe.

01-30-2007 23:20:25 | More by beeroclock
TexIndy

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle - no visible dating system. Picked this up in Indy during Xmas with the folks and just found out going to be avail again in Texas!!! I poured it into my Delirium Tremens tulip glass and it was a golden yellow color. It had a tremendous head with bunch of initial carb that settled into a thin foam with great lacing. The aroma was spicy and fruity but just a little too subtle to be a 5 but it's close. The mouthfeel was perfect was for me - it had a great creamy feel with a tongue tickling from the carbonation. The taste was also perfect. It's sweeter and less dry than some other saisons I've had which is perfect for me since I favor sweet over dry. Overall, this is a top 5 beer for me and I can't wait till available in Texas again. Highly, highly recommend. (5, HR, T, Y, HOF)

01-27-2007 03:16:31 | More by TexIndy
PEBKAC

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Cooperstown edition
Brewery direct, shipped in a gift pack

Golden & lush; intensely frothy. The pour was not quite clear & golden, so I most likely stirred up some yeast. Yeast is good for you!

Musty, funky fruit, sweet muscatel. Alot of wine characteristics in both the smell & flavor. The alcohol stings my nostrils a tad, but isn't totally evident in the taste. The finish is somewhat tangy, along with the obvious corriander spice. Bready to the point of inducing continued sampling.

Rereshing & not filling, but the carbonation does hit quicker then your average ale. Savoring the bottle is the most safe & delectable way to go. Easy to play, hard to master.

Now stocked regularly at Stop n Shop, alongside other Duvel products. Excellent. :)

01-25-2007 08:18:16 | More by PEBKAC
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a cloudy golden with a big white head that retains pretty well and leaves quite good lacing. Smells of typical Belgian yeasty flavors with some clove and light apple in the mix. There is also quite a pungent sharp smell there as well that cuts through everything. Tastes a little sharp as well, but not necessarily in abad well- kinds a more stinky cheese flavor. Complex, with ripe, musty flavors and some subdued stone fruit. Fades to a more typical saison light yeastiness on the end. Decent body, good balance between creaminess and crispness, but finishes a little limp. Pretty drinkable, a a good value, but there are others similar to this beer I'd reach for first.

01-24-2007 01:00:44 | More by Georgiabeer
BeerBelcher

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

I had this on-tap at Cafe Hollander in Milwaukee. I thought it was a fairly pleasant saison-style beer, particularly compared very old bottles of imported saison that are found in my area liquor stores. Recommended, but not outstanding.

It arrived as a fairly bright and hazy yellow, with fairly good head structure that left little lacing.

Aroma was of sweet yeastiness and some subtle spiciness.

Flavor was also of sweet and complex yeast flavors with some spiciness, but without a lot of fruitiness.

Mouthfeel was a bit harsher than I expected for the style, but was still decent.

All-in-all, a good saison choice.

01-19-2007 20:58:36 | More by BeerBelcher
Nipitato

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Picked up a bottle at Marty's Liqours in Allston.

A: A gorgeous beer. Golden. Not clear. Volumnous craggy white head. Visibly effervescent. Belgian lace.

S: Soft, airy, light citrus like aromatic prescence. Nice malty base. Phenolic peppery aroma barely present.

T: Dry. Slightly sour. Nice and peppery. More so than scent leads on. Citrus esters not as prominent.

MF: Light and airy. Very effervescent. Nearly astringent bordering on puckering. As mentioned by other reviewers this beer does not give away its higher alcohol content.

D: The lightness and dryness of this beer makes it quite drinkable. A great beer to break someone out of the macro beer pattern.

01-18-2007 21:20:01 | More by Nipitato
jettjon

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Served from a 750ml bottle, no freshness date noted. Decants with a light pop; pours into the wine chalice, bright yellow-gold with numerous Champaign-like bubbles, pillowy, 2-finger white, craggy head. Slow fade leaving spotty lacing. Good looking pour. Nose of strong floral/citrus hops and vanilla notes. Taste of mild alcohol, a bit boozy, definitely fruity in the vein of scuppernong, reminiscent of a white ale. Mouth is bubbly and very smooth, nearly velvety. Very clean. Drinkability is excellent; very smooth, tasty, and goes down easily. Highly drinkable.

Overall: Very different from my previous experience with Rogue Festivale “Saison;” somewhat different from the also excellent Saison Dupont, I find this style enigmatic to say the least. Must try more! Very good overall, cheerfully recommended.

01-15-2007 23:28:29 | More by jettjon
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottled sample via trevorwideman. Gold in colour with lots of floaties (that's ok... yeast is good for you) and strong carbonation. Aromas of over ripe banana, vanilla, meadow flowers, white grape, and spicy pear. Flavors of lemon rind, soft fruit, spicy Duvel yeast, some wheat malt, and a slight metallic at the end. Smooth in the mouth with some nice lively carbonation creating some interest on the dry finish. Overall, this is a mellow and technically sound saison, but for me it lacks that certain something that makes a beer really special (like the signature funkiness of Fantome or the austere refinement of Dupont). Perhaps this sounds like damning with faint praise, but it's still a VERY good beer.

12-29-2006 02:17:13 | More by fisherman34
cabsandking

3.95/5  rDev -5%

A shade darker than golden and the beginning of a nice head but fizzles to a fine bubbled pool but some sticky lace remnants of its former height. Grassy, tart sour fruits, wheat, soft flowery esters all in the nose. Some unexpected light hops are noticed and are followed by fermented lemons pith and apple, grass, wheat, yeasty, husk. Later in the glass fruit characters gain in strength with some honey sweetness and notes of vanilla and banana. Mild carbonation and a light, airy mouthfeel. The finish echoes much of the flavor but is still relatively clean.

12-28-2006 17:19:31 | More by cabsandking