Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz. bottle acquired from the Coffee Grounds in Eau Claire.

Pours a straw yellow colour, very cloudy with a great 2" head that sat like a rock.

Smell is funky. Sourness, white wine, booze, esters.

The first thing I notice about the taste is the dryness. Very dry, but leaves the mouth with a pleasant fruity taste. Alcohol is evident, but it remains a very smooth brew. A little sour bite at the end.

Mouthfeel is soft, medium-to-light.

Drinkability is solid. The dryness might limit it (if drinking it by itself). I bet it would go great with Fetuccine Alfredo...just might have to try that next time.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Pale straw with thick, lasting, frothy head.

Smell - Grassy hops. Spicey yeast overtones. Some clove aroma.

Taste - Nice spicey sweetness, with floral hop balance. A hint of clove in the aftertase.
Good complexity.

Mouthfeel - Effervescent, and quenching. Medium body.

Drinkability - Complex and balanced flavor makes this an excellent quality brew. The last drink leaves you wanting another. This is quickly becoming a favorite.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

On tap at father's office. Absolutely brilliant color - luminous straw. Ok, I smelled and smelled and smelled this with myself, some friends, and my mom (who has the nose of a bloodhound). This stuff smells like cooked strawberries, and then a bacon and pancake breakfast - like nothing I have ever experienced. Taste was a very very very good farmhouse, almost to the caliber of Avec Les Bons Voeux, but not quite, citrus was nicely balanced by malt. Very smooth mouthfeel, and drinkability is extremely high due to great taste and its feeling as a "session" beer. Good good stuff. I went to an opera after this, and this saison added to that experience.

This was my first saison, so I am rating it as closely as I can to the style (would be a little lower if it were on personal preference).

Appearance: Poured almost champagne like...half of the tulip was beer the other half was a white sudsy head. A hazy golden color that showed plenty of effervescence. The head had pretty good retention eventually receeding to about 3/4". There was ample lacing, but nothing to write home about.

Smell: A subtle hoppiness that leads towards citrusy. I would say it is highly aromatic, I was standing at the table and the glass was sitting on the table, and the flowery aroma found my nose. There is a little hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Mineral tones and a spicyness that is not quite astringent. Somewhat bitter, or maybe I would lean towards tartness...much like lemon. There is a subtle metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and full of carbonation. A little gaseous in my mind. There is a nice almost drying finish that I found interesting.

Drinkability: One 750mL is about all I would care to drink in one sitting. Not bad but a little filling and not exactly what I typically choose to drink. I do however appreciate the style and will continue to try new saisons. I believe this to be a very good representation of the style.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A - golden color with ample amount of carbonation

S - anise, honey, fruity, floral

T - not sweet; a little sour taste and bitterness; can taste the floral esters at first, but those quickly disappear

I haven't tried many Belgium-style beers before so wanted to give this a shot. It's a good beer, but I'm not a fan.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

appearance: cloudy golden, with orangish tint

smell: hint of hops, and a tad of citrus smell

taste: rich and slight nutty, slight hops

mouthfeel: good carbonation and very tasty, slightly thick

drinkability: good quality, not my favorite, but a great crossover beer from macros. Suprised about the alchol content. it was very easy to drink. Serve with a lemon and i think the bud drinkers can handle this. Especially if they like Blue Moon.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a Hennepin Snifter glass.

A: Straw yellow with two inch white head that disapates with drinking but clings to the glass. Bubbles constantly from the botom of the glass.

S: Wheaty, sweet, fruitiness with some hop spiciness.

T: Wheat and fruit up front. Banana, pear, clove, some citrus. Highly carbonated. Finishes dry and a bit tart.

M: Light-Medium body. Carbonation tingles the nose throughout. Crisp and refreshing.

D: Very quaffable. Would make for an amazing lawnmower beer. Could drink many in a session. 7.7% alcohol is hidden well. Highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Tops Liquor near ASU in Tempe.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

Pours an hazy unfiltered gold color with a nice rocky head. The glass I poured it in is great for capturing the scent but hurts lacing, so I won't penalize it for that.

Very interesting smell. I'm new to this style but at first sniff I thought bananas like Hefeweizen. But it has an spicy sort of smell as well.

Taste is fruity and peppery at the same time. Bananas, lemons, and spice. Dry finish and makes my mouth pucker a little.

Mouthfeel is carbonated though I couldn't see the bubbles. Prickly on the tongue and a little bit acidy.

Drinkability is good. I could have several of these. They are very refreshing.

Overall, this was a real treat. It was cool to try a new style and I really liked it.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Poured a medium yellow with a thick, long lasting, rocky white head. Slight haze but mostly clear. Plenty of visible carbonation.

S - Lots of fruity esters with a pear/apple like character most prominent. Floral hops also present at a medium level of intensity. A strong grainy-wheat aroma also makes itself known.

T - Wheat character continues to press on. A moderate level of bittering with floral hop flavor. Apple-like esters with a general fruity/estery character. Alcohol more present than expected for strength. Tartness, possibly from use of unmalted wheat. Very dry finish. Crisp.

M - Medium-bodied with a very high level of carbonation. Smooth.

D - Excellent. Crisp, dry finish combines with a soft malt and complex fruity ester character to make a very drinkable Saison. Bring on another pint and cheers to a wonderful American brewery brewing a strong example of this Belgian style.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a yellow color with a tint of orange to it. A huge 3 finger white head formed. Excellent retention. Tons of lacing.

Smelled very spicy. Sweet malts with just the slightest touch of funk.

Taste is slightly acidic. Super crisp. Nice sweetness front to mid palate followed by a slightly bitter and tart back palate.

Mouthfeel is light. Carbonation makes this a crisp, easy drinking beer. Dangerous b/c the alcohol is completely masked.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I did a blind taste test of this next to Saison Dupont and the Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale.

An explosive white head quickly filled the glass. Underneath lay the translucently golden ale. Nice retention.

The smell was marvelously pungent, bringing forth candied orange peel, clove, and wildflower honey.

The taste was exceptional with wisps of clove, honey, apple cider and anise.

Hennepin has a higher abv than its competitors, yet managed to conceal it the best. The fizzy carbonation fit perfectly as well.

I've only tried these three saisons, but without a doubt I enjoyed Hennepin the most. With its lively carbonation it is a great beer to replace champagne with for those special occasions, and it also gets the job done on those extra hot summer days when a BA needs a cold one.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A 12 oz bottle and a four pack of these for $9.99. What a deal! A pale, cloudy, straw gold with a tremendous head and superb retention. The head sits proudly and leaves good lacing as it recedes at a glacier pace. More as I drink. Some carbonation is visible through the fog.

Smell is classic Saison. Belgian yeast funk, herbal notes. Light phenolics. Muted banana and wheat like twang. Spicy pepper in the back of my nose. It gets bigger as it warms.

Taste is knock it outta' the park good. Maltiness that recalls fresh French bread combined with a wheat malt flavor. Spicy and peppery as well. A touch of lemon and an herbal component that deepens the melage. Sharp but mild hops bring in the finish and blend into nuttiness. Dry, short and clean. There is a light sweet roll taste that lingers with nutty biscuits. Faint banana, and peppery spices.

Crisp and quenching mouthfeel is accented by a lively carbonation and tingly light creaminess.

Drinkability is so good you think session until the reality of the abv sets in. Still, it goes down so easy and smooth and the taste so perfect you just don't care and dive in for all you can get.

A top tier Saison. One of my favorites and for the price you just can't beat it.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into Duvel tulip. A massive rocky head appears that hangs out with you for a while. Color was slightly murkey, light golden. Smell is great. A nice combination of some funk, tartness, fruits and yeast. I noticed some sour apple right away. Taste was pretty much on par with the smell. Some yeast and bread, typical of many Belgians, with that funky tartness (a good band name?) and sligh kiss of grassy hops. The mouthfeel was light. High carbonation and dry feeling almost is reminicant of champagne. Overall a good beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Appears a very light golden/yellow with a bubbly head that turns into an island/crown. Carbonation continues throughout the glass.

Smells vinegary and maybe a touch sweet.

Taste is crisp and rustic, as the label says! Very dry finish with a dancing sensation throughout the sip. Sour is there, but not nearly as much as a lambic.

Mouth is light bodied and heavy carbonation.

This is extremely easy to drink, not nearly as scary as I had feared. Would buy again, now I want to try some more of this style.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Wow.

That's all I can say. Phenominal.

Hennepin is my "stand-by" beer, so you could probably say that I am biased. If you believe so, stop reading my review. But I think my opinion is valid because I've had it 1,000,000,000 times, both in the conditioned bottle and on-tap.

Knowing that I must have a recent review to be valid, I went and got an imperial bottle of this from Wegmans (anybody who lives in the Rochester area knows about this store) and chilled it by letting it sit outside in the 4-degree weather for a wee bit. I poured it into a Brewery Ommegang glass.

The head rears up no matter how little you shake the bottle. Just get used to the idea of having a glass 3/4 full. The smell is funky, almost as if you're sitting in the middle of a cornfield. There are citrus notes from the flavoring hops, all of which are from the Czech Republic. Bubbles cascade upwards no matter how long it sits.

Now for the taste. It's dry and full, with a medium body and a present alcohol tone; immediatly commanding your mental faculties. The citrus-y flavor then hits, then the bitterness. Something I have noticed with the umptrillion times I've had this is that the flavors are very seperate and one notices them one-by-one, not all at once like many other Saisons.

After killing the whole 750-ml bottle, I'm pretty happy and require some time before I can drive, thanks to the 7.7% alcohol content.

My only gripe? Perhaps it's a bit too bitter. That's it.

It's not perfect, but damn close to it, and better than most of the actual Belgian Saisons and it's only $5.

P.S. Living just 2 hours from Cooperstown, I decided a road trip was in order. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have some of the best brews in this fine country of ours.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy lemon ice tea yellow with a white thick foamy head that disapates rapidly, looks very carinated.

smells of lemon, grass, some spice, and a little citrus.

tastes of grass, a hint of lemon, fruit, spice, and a touch of citrus, end has a little bitterness to it.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a hazy, bright golden with a decent off-white head. Rich, wheaty, slightly lemony aroma calls for a sip. Flavor is crisp, mouth-filling, wheaty and yeasty with a hint of lemon and just a touch of hop bitterness. Texture is smooth and refreshing to give a pleasant and crisp finish.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

from notes. 750 ML poured into tulip.

Can't wait to try this brew. Pours a crisp golden body with a huge, fantastic looking white head. Fluffy, enticing. Great retention, tons of carbonation rising up to meet the head. Fairly large amount of lacing left. Great looking beer.

Aroma is outstanding. Smells of funky, slightly sour yeast with sweet underling of citrus fruits. Peppery hops as well. Extremely well balanced... wow. Very bready, almost a sourdough bread scent to it.

Taste is how it smells, but even better. The funk is there, the yeast, the citrus, the pepper, the sourdough... just exceptional. Like pepper soaked lemon rinds with a yeasty, biscuity, sourdough taste thrown right in the mix of it all. It's tart, sour, sweet, peppery all at the same time - and it works. Great tasting.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and it's chewy and sticky on the palate. The true "Farmhouse" finish is excellent. Carbonation is high, but in a very good way. The drinkability is outstanding - could definitely see myself downing glass after glass of this by the pool during the summer. It's extremely refreshing. Definitely my favorite Ommegang brew (so far).

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

Review #1500. For this one I chose a really solid american brew I had never had before. Go figure, after ll of this I had never had a Hennepin. So anyway, this lovely beer was served at cellar temp and poured into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 01/05/2009.

Now if that was not the most perfect Saison pour I do not know what is. Very nice amber hue with a rich, decadent looking three inches of white foam on top. Just hanging there with a huge amount of side lace just dripping down the glass and keeping the head alive and well throughout the session.

The aroma was very, very nice. Rich notes of spices, apricot, light apple maybe and a touch of grain. As it warmed some light pepper like spice starts to come forward, nearly spot on. As I take the first taste, I expierence just what I wanted from this one. A light, perfectly carbonated saison. Light notes of fruit spiced up with hints of white pepper and a perfectly balanced mix between light grain and fresh grass in the finish. Smooth, delicate and perfectly drainkable, I was very impressed by just how good this one was.

Overall I am ashamed it took me soo long to try this one. It was spot on, just what I needed tonight and just what the style called for. I will make this my go to for the style from now on for sure.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchased at Total Wine in Columbia, SC.

Poured a golden yellow with a huge, fluffy long-lasting head, good lacing. Plenty of activity with lots of bubbles rising up from the bottom. Smell reminiscent of a few other Belgians I've tried. Smooth and sweet at first, with a bit of a spicy bite at the end. Citrusy/fruity with a hop kick. Dry. The carbonation is tickly on the tongue. Very drinkable. This fits into the category of beers you need to know the ABV of beforehand. The 7.7% is very well masked.

4.11/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this on 2009-01-30 and again on 2013-09-15 in Columbia, PA

A - The saison beer pours a beautiful, straw yellow color with a 4" head!

S - There is a light Belgian yeast, fruit and floral smell.

T - The taste is very complex and delicious that I'd describe as bubbly, fruity, lightly tart and cheerful. Seriously though, the things I taste in this beer are grain, carmelized apple, grains of paradise pepper/citrus and a lightly bitter aftertaste.

M - The carbonation is medium-high and it has a light-medium body. Crisp and dries quickly.

O - A flavorful and unique beer. Not something I'd want on a regular basis but a nice treat.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle into a pint glass.

A- Slightly hazy golden. Pours with 2+ fingers of white head, which fade gradually, leaving ample lacing.

S- Bready/yeasty odor. Some minor citrusy/hoppy odors mingle with some nondescript herbal notes. Slight metallic note.

T- Slight citrusy hopiness and moderate malty breadiness blend with a nondescript spiciness. Minimal orange peel bitterness. Flavors all meld nicely, and the alcohol is well concealed.

M- Moderately crisp with medium carbonation. Fairly creamy.

D- Easy drinking, and quite sessionable.

Future outlook: Nice, solid tasting, versatile drinker. After being hugely disappointed in my sampling of Ommegang's "Chocolate Indulgence," this offering has restored my faith that they can produce a quality beer. I'd have this brew again anytime.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

A more pale yellow than I expected, with a bounty of bubbles arising from the bottom of the glass, capped by a thick white head - a very active beer.

Incomparably smooth upon first drink, with a mild spark that quickly mellows to release a great number of flavors to envelope the tongue - hops, orange, lemon, something mildly floral, and other flavors that lull you into complete submission. And it's a flavor that sticks with you for a long time - rolling around in your mouth like a handful of glass marbles - a full ten minutes later, it's still with you.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

a--straw gold; slight haze; huge, fluffy head you could take a nap on

s--phenols/cloves with malt underpinnings

t--balanced, dry and crisp; lemony sourness

m--medium body with acid from the carbonation

d--a super refreshing beer that is limited in its drinkability only by its 7.7% alcohol

this is a gem of a brew.

obey the label and drink it cool (not cold)

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Quite a beautiful beer, slightly hazy straw yellow color with a massive, craggy white head with excellent retention and lacing.

S- Slightly funky, Belgian yeasty, lightly fruity, and slightly floral. A little bit of pepper in there as well. Not all that aromatic though.

T- Same as the aroma, but pretty sweet. The flavors really blend well together and the peppery aspect pops out every once and awhile too.

M- A nice amount of carbonation keeps things light and the alcohol keeps it fairly dry on the tail end. It is also pretty creamy at the very beginning. Not bad.

D- A very enjoyable beer that represents the style really well.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang