Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

a - Light pale yellow, opaque. Frothy two finger head.

s - Fruity, yeasty, some sour notes. No hints of alcohol.

t - One of the more sour beers I've had. Hits you right on the back underside of the tongue. Otherwise a light belgian taste with a sour aftertaste that requires just one more sip. Warming finish but no mouth numbing.

m - Light body but not entirely watery due to some malt action. Very carbonated but it seems to work in this setting.

d - I'm not quite used to the sour, especially sour without a powerful bitter alongside it. It's an energetic little brew. I see myself pouring to the end of this bottle quickly with no complaints. Great masking on its 8.5% ABV - if not for savoring the sour this stuff drinks like a light beer. Ommegang, I continue to enjoy tasting my way through your great beers.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a light transparent yellow, slightly cloudy but mostly transparent. Tons of carbonation apparent in the body. Tons. A smooth white head leaves nice lacing. Aroma is lemon, grass, bubble gum, pale malt sweetness and yeast. Taste mostly mirrors the scent, but with just a touch of tartness. A nice earthyness which matches the sweetness. Enough hops to make their presence known in the backdrop. Mouthfeel is perhaps a touch too carbonated, though that is fairly typical for the style. Smooth and refreshing. Alcohol barely noticeable. A great blend of sweetness and earthyness, and a touch of tart. Fantastic beer that can be enjoyed with any meal or at any time. An extremely versatile brew.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Pale, straw yellow with 2-3 fingers of fluffy white head leaving puffs of foam stuck everywhere.

S - Grainy wheat, pear, apple, honey and spicy clove.

T - Fruity, floral, grassy, spicy with yeasty esters and a metallic, earthy note that seems to build with each sip.

M - Light with prickly carbonation. Smooth.

D - It was pretty good except for the strong metallic, earthy taste.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Cloudy yellow with highly carbonated look up the side of the glass

Smell- Yeasty and slight citrus y notes on the nose, and wheaty beer smell

Taste- Slight hop flavor but lemon citrus back notes, very good flavor, stronger finish then start,

Mouthfeel- A medium bodied beer that feels smooth going down

Drinkability- Tremendous drinkability considering a 7.5 alcohol level.

A beer I liked more then I expected or thought I would whether you are a real hard core fan of this style it is one worth giving a shot. Could see pairing up real nice with a spicy meal.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

This is my first saison.

A - very, very light yellow color. This is probably the lightest beer I have ever seen. I had to stop after about 8 oz because the glass was going to overflow from the carbonation. Ten minutes later, I was able to finish the pour. The head was whitish and around 4cm tall. It was very lumpy also

S - fruit, yeast, some spices, definitely cloves.

T - this beer has absolutely no malt flavor to it (to me, at least), it is not the least bit sweet. very, very dry with a slight fruitiness. cloves are noticeable as are other spices. Very dry finish, not bitter, just dry. I guess that's what this type of beer is supposed to taste like, but I'm not really sure.

M - it was very thin, but I'm guessing that's normal for the style. It had a lot of carbonation too.

D - I didn't like it's dryness.

Note: I didn't like this beer at all. However, it's somewhat highly rated because it does exhibit the characteristics that the style description lists. Once i get more experience with Saisons, I may edit this review to better reflect that rating of its characteristics.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a golden hazy color with a big head. Smell is impressive, almost hefe like to me, big banana and coriander. Taste is nice and is slightly sour to me. This was highly carbonated and medium bodied. ABV is surprising because it was fairly light beer...abv became more apparent as the beer warmed. High abv would prevent me from pounding these back but that is the only reason. Nice brew.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

I fondly remember Hennepin as the first saison I ever tried (less than 4 years ago) and it blew me away back then. It's been a very long time, so this is like visiting an old friend. Got an imperial pint at Bailey's Taproom.

A: Bright golden, almost clear with little rising carbonation. Small snow-white head, strong lacing top to bottom. Not sure if the lack of carbonation is normal; I know this keg was tapped roughly a week ago, so it's still 'fresh'.

S: Spicy aroma with sweet yeasty roll. Apple core and pear slices. Hints of clove and melon.

T: Crisp apple, light honey, grass/hay. Buttery sweet rolls and a sharp spicing. Finishes out dry, with pepper and a slight medicinal chalkiness being most notable. Terrific balance.

M: Refreshing, lively carbonation. Body is light/medium; alcohol seems subdued, but grows with a subtle warmth. Finishes with a faint yeast/grain stickiness and a little chalky bitterness.

D: A high point - both extremely 'easy to drink' and notably desirable in the 'want to have again' categories. A fine example of the style, haven't had more than a couple US-made saisons that can compete.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

My first saison came from the well in a flute glass. A slightly cloudy honey and tea was topped with an airy head that left a trace of lace

It was faint in the nose and not as available as I would like, but straw and spice with a hint of fruit.

What a beautifully flavored beer. Earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. The draw was the best part. Touches of honeydew, melon and orange! FABULOUS!

If this is the archetype saison, I shall be having more!

Serving: 750ml corked bottle served at 45 degrees F.

Appearence: Cloudy golden ale with a long lasting thick head.

Smell: Indecent amount of yeast. Unbelievable amounts of super fresh hops. Smells like bread dough rising, fresh picked hops, & fresh cut lemon grass. Some caramel, nuts, and hops.

Taste: Crisp hops, citrus, pine & crackers. Superbly smooth yet bitter hoppiness. Refreshing carbonation and awesome citrus / piney hops wake up your taste buds on a new level. The hop assault on your tongue lingers on.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, bubbly, awe inspiring crisp bitterness. Thick and juicy.

Drinkability: World class. Its superb by itself I can only imagine how good it will be with food.

This is one of the finest brews I have experienced. Wow you have got to try this one. It satisfies my hop head desires while still preserving the ancient Belgium art of bottle conditioning unfiltered ales with a boat load of living yeast.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz. bottle acquired from the Coffee Grounds in Eau Claire.

Pours a straw yellow colour, very cloudy with a great 2" head that sat like a rock.

Smell is funky. Sourness, white wine, booze, esters.

The first thing I notice about the taste is the dryness. Very dry, but leaves the mouth with a pleasant fruity taste. Alcohol is evident, but it remains a very smooth brew. A little sour bite at the end.

Mouthfeel is soft, medium-to-light.

Drinkability is solid. The dryness might limit it (if drinking it by itself). I bet it would go great with Fetuccine Alfredo...just might have to try that next time.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Pale straw with thick, lasting, frothy head.

Smell - Grassy hops. Spicey yeast overtones. Some clove aroma.

Taste - Nice spicey sweetness, with floral hop balance. A hint of clove in the aftertase.
Good complexity.

Mouthfeel - Effervescent, and quenching. Medium body.

Drinkability - Complex and balanced flavor makes this an excellent quality brew. The last drink leaves you wanting another. This is quickly becoming a favorite.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

On tap at father's office. Absolutely brilliant color - luminous straw. Ok, I smelled and smelled and smelled this with myself, some friends, and my mom (who has the nose of a bloodhound). This stuff smells like cooked strawberries, and then a bacon and pancake breakfast - like nothing I have ever experienced. Taste was a very very very good farmhouse, almost to the caliber of Avec Les Bons Voeux, but not quite, citrus was nicely balanced by malt. Very smooth mouthfeel, and drinkability is extremely high due to great taste and its feeling as a "session" beer. Good good stuff. I went to an opera after this, and this saison added to that experience.

This was my first saison, so I am rating it as closely as I can to the style (would be a little lower if it were on personal preference).

Appearance: Poured almost champagne like...half of the tulip was beer the other half was a white sudsy head. A hazy golden color that showed plenty of effervescence. The head had pretty good retention eventually receeding to about 3/4". There was ample lacing, but nothing to write home about.

Smell: A subtle hoppiness that leads towards citrusy. I would say it is highly aromatic, I was standing at the table and the glass was sitting on the table, and the flowery aroma found my nose. There is a little hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Mineral tones and a spicyness that is not quite astringent. Somewhat bitter, or maybe I would lean towards tartness...much like lemon. There is a subtle metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and full of carbonation. A little gaseous in my mind. There is a nice almost drying finish that I found interesting.

Drinkability: One 750mL is about all I would care to drink in one sitting. Not bad but a little filling and not exactly what I typically choose to drink. I do however appreciate the style and will continue to try new saisons. I believe this to be a very good representation of the style.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A - golden color with ample amount of carbonation

S - anise, honey, fruity, floral

T - not sweet; a little sour taste and bitterness; can taste the floral esters at first, but those quickly disappear

I haven't tried many Belgium-style beers before so wanted to give this a shot. It's a good beer, but I'm not a fan.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

appearance: cloudy golden, with orangish tint

smell: hint of hops, and a tad of citrus smell

taste: rich and slight nutty, slight hops

mouthfeel: good carbonation and very tasty, slightly thick

drinkability: good quality, not my favorite, but a great crossover beer from macros. Suprised about the alchol content. it was very easy to drink. Serve with a lemon and i think the bud drinkers can handle this. Especially if they like Blue Moon.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a Hennepin Snifter glass.

A: Straw yellow with two inch white head that disapates with drinking but clings to the glass. Bubbles constantly from the botom of the glass.

S: Wheaty, sweet, fruitiness with some hop spiciness.

T: Wheat and fruit up front. Banana, pear, clove, some citrus. Highly carbonated. Finishes dry and a bit tart.

M: Light-Medium body. Carbonation tingles the nose throughout. Crisp and refreshing.

D: Very quaffable. Would make for an amazing lawnmower beer. Could drink many in a session. 7.7% alcohol is hidden well. Highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Tops Liquor near ASU in Tempe.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

Pours an hazy unfiltered gold color with a nice rocky head. The glass I poured it in is great for capturing the scent but hurts lacing, so I won't penalize it for that.

Very interesting smell. I'm new to this style but at first sniff I thought bananas like Hefeweizen. But it has an spicy sort of smell as well.

Taste is fruity and peppery at the same time. Bananas, lemons, and spice. Dry finish and makes my mouth pucker a little.

Mouthfeel is carbonated though I couldn't see the bubbles. Prickly on the tongue and a little bit acidy.

Drinkability is good. I could have several of these. They are very refreshing.

Overall, this was a real treat. It was cool to try a new style and I really liked it.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Poured a medium yellow with a thick, long lasting, rocky white head. Slight haze but mostly clear. Plenty of visible carbonation.

S - Lots of fruity esters with a pear/apple like character most prominent. Floral hops also present at a medium level of intensity. A strong grainy-wheat aroma also makes itself known.

T - Wheat character continues to press on. A moderate level of bittering with floral hop flavor. Apple-like esters with a general fruity/estery character. Alcohol more present than expected for strength. Tartness, possibly from use of unmalted wheat. Very dry finish. Crisp.

M - Medium-bodied with a very high level of carbonation. Smooth.

D - Excellent. Crisp, dry finish combines with a soft malt and complex fruity ester character to make a very drinkable Saison. Bring on another pint and cheers to a wonderful American brewery brewing a strong example of this Belgian style.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a yellow color with a tint of orange to it. A huge 3 finger white head formed. Excellent retention. Tons of lacing.

Smelled very spicy. Sweet malts with just the slightest touch of funk.

Taste is slightly acidic. Super crisp. Nice sweetness front to mid palate followed by a slightly bitter and tart back palate.

Mouthfeel is light. Carbonation makes this a crisp, easy drinking beer. Dangerous b/c the alcohol is completely masked.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I did a blind taste test of this next to Saison Dupont and the Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale.

An explosive white head quickly filled the glass. Underneath lay the translucently golden ale. Nice retention.

The smell was marvelously pungent, bringing forth candied orange peel, clove, and wildflower honey.

The taste was exceptional with wisps of clove, honey, apple cider and anise.

Hennepin has a higher abv than its competitors, yet managed to conceal it the best. The fizzy carbonation fit perfectly as well.

I've only tried these three saisons, but without a doubt I enjoyed Hennepin the most. With its lively carbonation it is a great beer to replace champagne with for those special occasions, and it also gets the job done on those extra hot summer days when a BA needs a cold one.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A 12 oz bottle and a four pack of these for $9.99. What a deal! A pale, cloudy, straw gold with a tremendous head and superb retention. The head sits proudly and leaves good lacing as it recedes at a glacier pace. More as I drink. Some carbonation is visible through the fog.

Smell is classic Saison. Belgian yeast funk, herbal notes. Light phenolics. Muted banana and wheat like twang. Spicy pepper in the back of my nose. It gets bigger as it warms.

Taste is knock it outta' the park good. Maltiness that recalls fresh French bread combined with a wheat malt flavor. Spicy and peppery as well. A touch of lemon and an herbal component that deepens the melage. Sharp but mild hops bring in the finish and blend into nuttiness. Dry, short and clean. There is a light sweet roll taste that lingers with nutty biscuits. Faint banana, and peppery spices.

Crisp and quenching mouthfeel is accented by a lively carbonation and tingly light creaminess.

Drinkability is so good you think session until the reality of the abv sets in. Still, it goes down so easy and smooth and the taste so perfect you just don't care and dive in for all you can get.

A top tier Saison. One of my favorites and for the price you just can't beat it.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into Duvel tulip. A massive rocky head appears that hangs out with you for a while. Color was slightly murkey, light golden. Smell is great. A nice combination of some funk, tartness, fruits and yeast. I noticed some sour apple right away. Taste was pretty much on par with the smell. Some yeast and bread, typical of many Belgians, with that funky tartness (a good band name?) and sligh kiss of grassy hops. The mouthfeel was light. High carbonation and dry feeling almost is reminicant of champagne. Overall a good beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Appears a very light golden/yellow with a bubbly head that turns into an island/crown. Carbonation continues throughout the glass.

Smells vinegary and maybe a touch sweet.

Taste is crisp and rustic, as the label says! Very dry finish with a dancing sensation throughout the sip. Sour is there, but not nearly as much as a lambic.

Mouth is light bodied and heavy carbonation.

This is extremely easy to drink, not nearly as scary as I had feared. Would buy again, now I want to try some more of this style.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Wow.

That's all I can say. Phenominal.

Hennepin is my "stand-by" beer, so you could probably say that I am biased. If you believe so, stop reading my review. But I think my opinion is valid because I've had it 1,000,000,000 times, both in the conditioned bottle and on-tap.

Knowing that I must have a recent review to be valid, I went and got an imperial bottle of this from Wegmans (anybody who lives in the Rochester area knows about this store) and chilled it by letting it sit outside in the 4-degree weather for a wee bit. I poured it into a Brewery Ommegang glass.

The head rears up no matter how little you shake the bottle. Just get used to the idea of having a glass 3/4 full. The smell is funky, almost as if you're sitting in the middle of a cornfield. There are citrus notes from the flavoring hops, all of which are from the Czech Republic. Bubbles cascade upwards no matter how long it sits.

Now for the taste. It's dry and full, with a medium body and a present alcohol tone; immediatly commanding your mental faculties. The citrus-y flavor then hits, then the bitterness. Something I have noticed with the umptrillion times I've had this is that the flavors are very seperate and one notices them one-by-one, not all at once like many other Saisons.

After killing the whole 750-ml bottle, I'm pretty happy and require some time before I can drive, thanks to the 7.7% alcohol content.

My only gripe? Perhaps it's a bit too bitter. That's it.

It's not perfect, but damn close to it, and better than most of the actual Belgian Saisons and it's only $5.

P.S. Living just 2 hours from Cooperstown, I decided a road trip was in order. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have some of the best brews in this fine country of ours.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy lemon ice tea yellow with a white thick foamy head that disapates rapidly, looks very carinated.

smells of lemon, grass, some spice, and a little citrus.

tastes of grass, a hint of lemon, fruit, spice, and a touch of citrus, end has a little bitterness to it.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang