Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,388 | Reviews: 2,079
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Pours golden yellow with a pretty large, fluffy white head.

S - smells reminds me a lot of a pilsner. It is grainy with some sweet malts.

T - Very clean taste. Sweet, grainy malts. There was also some sweet fruits, noticeably grape and cherry coming through.

M - light, crisp, and refreshing. Pretty decent mouthfeel to it.

D - this was a pretty excellent ale, especially for the price. I will definitely purchase again since it is so light and crisp, yet delicious.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a hazy, pale yellow color. One inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of slight banana, tart malt, earthy malt, and some slight bread aromas. Fits the style of a Saison / Farmhouse Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a very high carbonation level. Tastes of earthy malt up front, slight banana flavors next, slight hop background, and some tart malt. A real nice blend of flavors, with only a hint of dryness. I would definitely recommend this brew.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Hennepin pours a beautiful gold with a huge white head that stays in the glass long after the beer is gone...but then again a beer like this goes a bit too quickly.
The smell is subdued fruits, nice belgian yeast floral and fruity. Some light hopping in there.
The taste is very multi-dimensional, it starts somewhate subtle with light apricot and peach flavors, then comes through with a touch of citrus hop aroma. It is finished with just a touch of sweetness, but the overall effect is very dry like a good champagne.
The mouthfeel is superbly refreshing, crisp and clean. Not much sweetness or bitterness to combat, this beer is incredibly subtle.
I could drink this beer all day long, given the abv that could get me in some trouble...but I would most certainly enjoy the day.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Presentation: Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a Duvel tulip. I see no dates on the bottle.

A: Pours a beautiful opaque orange color with 3 fingers of head that recedes very slowly. This beer laces REALLY well on my glass, and the yeasty floaters are a welcome addition without overcrowding the glass.

S: Smells of pears, sour apple but mildly so, yeast is present. I love the smell of this beer. One of my favorites for sure.

T: The pear and sour apple are present, but not really sour from a taste perspective as much as it is in the smell. The yeast really comes through here, but not bready and heavy like many belgian-style beers. It's clean tasting, and reminds me occasionally of a hefeweizen style without as much of the banana and clove flavors. They are still present though.

M: Creamy, bubbly, and coats my mouth almost as well as any beer out there.

D: Off the charts for me. I drank a full 750ml of this last night without batting an eye, and probably could down 2 of the bombers in a night. Never tastes bitter, too sweet, or too hoppy. Everything is balanced for me.

Overall one of my favorite beers. I often forget to buy it, but should because it's 60-80% of the cost of most Belgians I like just as much. Highly recommend this one if you've never had it. This beer would be good for ANYONE who likes beer in even the slightest respect.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

This was purchased on sale $5.99 (great price for a bomber) at Monument liqour. It was recommended so after having other Ommegang's I had to try it.

Looks great. A real bright colored unfiltered ale. Looks highly carbonated and the head sits nicely upon the sweet looking beverage.

Smells like a summer day. Realy bright fruits and a little alcohol edge. I get a hint of light wood and some funk.

Much tarter than I expected. I like the freshness of the flavor and the after taste really hangs on. It almost tastes like a heavier belgian without the caramel underlyings. This has a medium sweet middle to it that fades to a soapy aftertaste.

Standard mouthfeel.

Although this rivals some of the other Saisons I have had, the alcohol taste is too promenant for 7.7%. If they were trying to hide a 10 or 11.5% sleeper in a farmhouse ale I might forgive 'em, but at 7.7 it should taste like a sweet dream. I would recommend this to others, but not if their favorite was a saison. They would pick it apart.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

The beer pours a cloudy straw color with a very large foamy white head. Nice lacing that slides down the sides of the glass slowly, in a very lazy manner.

The beer smells at first like banana but each time I smell it I get a little something extra, some flowery aromas and an earthy smell underneath, but also very crisp spices.

The taste is sweet and malty to start with a rush of citrus at the finish. The banana is not as present in the taste as the smell, but the taste has much more balance between sweet and sour than I expected. The taste finishes with a very earthy bread flavor that mellows the whole thing out.

Hennepin feels crisp and light in the mouth. The carbonation is perfect for this style of beer with it's spices and fruity tones, it's not overpowering at all.

This beer reminds me of summertime at every turn, it looks bright and light, it smells of fruit and flowers and it has a crisp taste and mouthfeel that are perfect for the warm weather. This beer would be great on a deck in the July sun. It's great right now and it's barely spring!

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

This is my first Saison but I have enjoyed other similar ales. I've always been a fan of Belgians, Dubbels, Trippels, and Quads. Though the flavors are a little different, I was told this is right up my alley. My style of choice is RIS mostly but I often look for other stuff to keep my taste buds fresh. I bought this at Springhill Liquor in North Little Rock, AR.

Poured in a 14oz wide mouth wine glass 2008 Bottle

Appearance: Poured a Pale yellow with a thick, three-finger, rich and creamy white head. Nice lacing and good retention. The head dissipates slightly but stays long after the pour, as if my beer has been topped off with whipped cream. Haven't seen that before.

Smell: Sweet malts light fruity notes and some stinky earthy tones. Smells similar to much of the Belgian styles I have enjoyed in the past but I think this is a little more aromatic.

Taste: The taste is pretty, sweet and sturdy yet delicate. The flavor is new to me, its like tasting a lovely perfume of a passerby. Its bitter and spicy with some fruity notes but its hard to really pick out specific flavors. If I had to pick, I'd say banana with a hint of strawberry. The brew is pretty damn good and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is pretty light, almost too light. Kind

Drinkability: This brew impresses me but its not my personal brew of choice. I would definitely recommend it to others but I don't think I would buy it again, not because it isn't worthy, its just not my personal preference. My only problem with this brew is that it came with only 7.7% ABV. Not enough for the money in my opinion. Indeed, I buy for quality but its still nice to get a good buzz off of a good beer.

Cheers!

-Dotson

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a golden cloudy yellow with a bright white rocky head. Retention is good and there is a decent amount of lacing.

S - Yeast, bananas, and some slight spice.

T - Much like the nose. Full of banana flavor mixed with bread-like yeast. There is also a sugary spice flavor mixed in.

M - A little watery and high carbonation.

D - Extremely drinkable and full of flavor. A very good beer.

2.69/5  rDev -35.2%

This was my first Saison/Farmhouse. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Ft. Worth.
I'm guessing that the whole horse blanket Brett taste isn't for me. I just found it to be a taste and smell that I'm not fond of. The beer looked fine with a nice head and nice lacing, and I'm sure that the fine craftspeople at Ommegang made this beer just how they wanted to, but unfortunately its not for me. Not gonna have another.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

A = Gold and slightly cloudy. Nice 2 finger white head that slowly receded. Strong lacing.

S = Yeasty and musty with some alcohol evident.

T = Nice sweetness up front giving way to some hints of citrus. Finishes a little bitter hop and very little alcohol. Well balanced taste.

M = Pretty light in the mouth, with a little oily residue after the swallow. Moderate carbonation.

D = Nicely drinkable. ABV is hidden and a clean crisp finish helps make this a sessionable brew.

Nice brew, very similar to a Duvel. Just not quite the masterpiece.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Golden bubbly and extremely clear beer considering that this beer is refermented in the bottle.
Slightly yeasty and spicy aroma, reminiscent of a barnyard or horse blanket
Crisp and slightly Lemony with a hint of sourness in the finish
Taste is peppery
Mouthfeel is light, and solventy almost acrylic in nature. I could feel this beer lingering on the enamel of my teeth. Highly drinkable Belgian Farmmhouse style. Get some...

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Ordered a bottle last Friday at Picco in the South End. Poured into an Ommegang stemmed glass. School bus yellow color. Huge white head, and lacing down the glass almost on par with a stout. Very nice looking. Smelled like an excellent German hefe, with lots of bananas and cloves in the nose. Taste was awesome, with more of the same flavors and some wheat and bubble gum flavor mixed in. Very light on the palate. Didn't even notice the abv. Very easy to drink, as a saison should be. Better than most Belgian or French versions I've tried in the past. I should drink this more often. Paired nicely with a goat cheese and roasted red pepper pizza.

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

750mL bottle served in a tulip

A: Somewhat foggy yellow-orange with a firm finger of white, rocky head. Decent head retention and lacing.
S: Citrus, hops and some sweet malts; undeniable spice on the nose.
T: I'll break this part into two. The first half: Sweet start and a bitter finish. Wheaty and spicy, rounding out with yeasty, hoppy and eventually a baked/biscuity flavor as it warms slightly. Only a few minutes after that, earthy flavors pull through majorly. Eventually my palate was overrun with grass, metal and blood. Or so it tasted. I loved the first half of this beer, but I was not a fan of it as it had a chance to warm a bit.
M: Love the carbonation and spice combo. Lighter, refreshing body and just a touch or slightly bitter residue left on the palate.
D: This beer is as refreshing as any wheat...in the beginning anyways. I thought there was a serious breakdown of flavors near the end, so much so that I thought someone threw a farm into a blender and served it to me. I look forward to trying other Ommegang brews, because this one was a minor letdown.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured a 750ml bottle into an Ommegang Chalice, this beer pours a nice golden colored brew with a full thick frothy head and awesome lacing. The head becomes chunky as you drink it and stays nice throughout.

It smells of yeast, fruit and spices.

This beer tastes simply awesome. The beer has an awesome creamy head that mixes nicely with a fruity, spicy wheat taste. Tastes like it smells. The balance of this beer is amazing. The taste is enjoyed anywhere anytime of the year, incredible.

Ommegang makes some first class beer. The taste for this style is the best I have had. Until I find something else that is better, this to me is my desert island beer for the style. Awesome.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

750 ml bottle I'm having this side-by-side with Saison Dupont. This pours a slightly hazy (much clearer than SD) gold with a nice white head that sits high above the rim of the glass. Smells are floral, yeasty, with an almost selzer-like element. A bit phenolic but not in a bad way. Tastes completely different than SD but is still out of this world. Tastes of a rich blend of green apples, pineapples. Finish is quicker and dryer than SD, and doesn't punch you with citrusy zest. Hennepin is pretty suave. I'd consider SD's equal except that its body lacks that electric tingle owing (I assume) to less carbonation. This beer is fabulous and proves once again that Ommegang is an amazing brewery. I hope they keep it up.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Hazy and golden yellow with a huge frothy white head.

Smell: Grass, hopps, and lemon. Yeastie and sweet but very light.

Taste: Not as sweet like I thought it would be. Kind of earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. More citrus than anything.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Highly carbonated and medium bodied. Not bad but I dont think it is the world beater some people do.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Despite the careful pour, a massive, foamy white head bubbles up with good retention and some nice lacing. The beer is a pale, slightly hazy golden color. The head becomes a bit rocky and irregularly chunky as it slowly dissipates.

S: A definite musty, yeasty, phenolic/medicinal aroma that is calm but confident. Loads of juicy, fruity notes, mostly apple I'd say. Some mild graininess. A bit spicy and faintly sour. Some alcohol is noticeable as it warms.

T: Quite juicy and fruity - very nice. Tart apples, some vinous/grape, and faint banana flavors. Rather yeasty as well, with the sugary, honeylike phenolic notes evident in the aroma. An appealing musty sweetness that makes itself known without becoming cloying. Some sour, vaguely citric hop flavor as well into the finish.

M: Medium bodied and surprisingly crisp, with active carbonation. A bit of slowly-developing dryness into the finish. Refreshing for such a complex, robust beer.

D: This is very, very tasty. It blends some flavors from several different styles in a very interesting and unique profile. Reasonably priced as well; around $6.50 for a 750mL bottle. I will definitely be treating myself to this again in the future.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

notes from 3-4-09

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip shaped chalice. Appealing cloudy golden yellow with a large frothy head with good retention. Sticky white lacing. Aroma a spicy tartness with a hint of a sour side.

In the taste the sour side becomes more evident reminding one of wine - on the dry side. A moderate bitterness in the aftertaste. Well carbonated with alcohol somewhat apparent. Defiantly a robust body it gives you the idea of Flemish Sour without going completely there.

For me drinkability is moderate. If you would like to acquire the taste of a sour this saison may be a good place to start down that path. Probably best drank in the warmer months.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with lots of white, pillowy head. Even with a careful pour, there's just a ton of head. It's continuing to rise out of the glass. Pretty cool. Laces nicely.

S- Crisp with notes of apple, citrus, light malt, spices. Not terribly strong.

T- Nice. Follows the nose with some citrus, a light (almost Pilsner-like) malt, and a nice spicy finish. Dry finish with even a little Granny Smith apple aftertaste.

M- Moderate to high carbonation, crisp and refreshing. I feel like this would just be great on a hot summer day. Dry finish.

D- Refreshing and tasty. Definitely could drink a couple.

Overall, this is a good beer. I was a little let down by the nose, and nothing in it blew me away. It is nicely balanced, though, and it is a very pleasant drink.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

My dad just bought me a 750ml bottle of this beauty and I decided to take a nice break from studying for finals and do my first review, so here goes...

Appearance: Hazy, golden/straw color. Very pillowy, foamy head aroused quite easily by even the slightest agitation while pouring.

Aroma: Almost pilsner-like. Slight hop aroma is present as well as a nice spicy character. Not getting a whole lot else here.

Taste: Lots of spice/Belgian yeasty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carbonation, but this only enhances the refreshing quality of the ale. Very dry as well.

Notes: This is the first time I had this one... and it's awesome. I love it. Very refreshing and highly drinkable. Although it's typically best to drink in the summer, I could drink this any time of year. I highly recommend it.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Weizen glass. Pours a very light golden color, almost macro-esque, or light macro in color, but it has an orange tint to it. Slightly hazy, but for the most part clear and translucent. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to pour the yeast sediment into the glass, so I took the bottles instructions and "poured slowly to not disturb the yeast." Very lively carbonation, almost like champagne. Produces a thin milky white head that actually has impressive retention. Leaves a bit of interesting lacing patterns.

The nose reminds me of a tripel. Fruity, yeasty and spicey. No alcohol present on the aroma that I can tell. It's very light and reeks of Belgian goodness.

Ah the taste of a good Belgian beer. Admittedly, the taste also reminds me of a Tripel, but it is a little more fruity. I get green apples and green grapes and possibly a little pear taste. The clove shows itself more in the taste department than in the aroma. Once again, alcohol is all but non existent. It definitely has a warming quality, but it's hard to imagine a brew with 7.5% ABV that wouldn't. I welcome the warming, I think it adds character to the taste.

The mouthfeel is light and very crips. Tart as well. The lively carbonation is still chugging along at an alarming rate.

Overall, this is an excellent beer. I have a few in the cellar that I'm going to let sit for 6 - 12 months to see how they mature. Mostly experimental. I would enjoy this fresh any day. It reminds me of a warm summer afternoon sitting on the patio enjoying the weather. This beer definitely makes these cold late-winter nights bearable!

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Exceptional beer. Has a cloudy orangeish yellow with a tan head. Has a spicy orangeish smell. It has a taste like a wheat beer with citrus flavor. Has a spicy and crisp finish to this beer. This beer goes down extremely smooth and is very drinkable. This beer is definetly worth getting.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Re-review on 3/6/09 for more detailed review
Bottle>tulip glass

A 4.5 - Golden cloudy honey in color, excellent head, retention & lacing
S 5.0 - Dry tart aroma, wheat, citrus, yeasty and spicy notes - complex aroma
T 5.0 - Tastes follow the aroma lead. Dry & crisp on palate. Spicy wheat flavors. Dry but not overdone.
MF 4.5 - Dry mouthfeel, high carbonation, medium wheat body.
D 5.0 - I love this unique brew. It 's one of my personal favorites. It's consistent in all categories and I think it is a fine example of Saison. You have to try it.

first review notes 8/28/2008
I must confess this is one of my most favorite beers indeed. I was turned on to it on a business trip to Rochester, MN at good old Newt's (shout out to Matt the bartender!) I have converted many a beer drinkers to this fine brew!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

pours yellow cloudy with a thick fluffy white head. very pleasing and really quite tempting on a warm day.

smell is grassy funk, with a malt backbone and a slight hop nose.

taste is quite pleasant and spicy, a small malt supports a nice hop bitterness and a grassy and slightly citrusy (pineapple) hop. really quite magnificent.

mouth is crisp with a slight bite in the body and a clean finish, This beer drinks way too easy for the ABV. Definitely buying this one again.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into the ommegang glass

A-Very cloudy with a big white fluffy head, suprisingly it doesnt lace down the glass a whole lot.

S-Spices galore, notes of clove and corriander most noteable but many others are lighter notes. Also a good alcohol burn in the nose.

T-Spicy and sweet the flavor of this beer is so complex and good. The amount of flavors in this beer are asounding, spicy and grassy hops in the front and middle with a mild near tropical citrus flavor in the finish.

M-Light and crisp and just as the rest of the beer extremly complex. Very smooth and well carbonated

D-I'll have this one again its nice to be able to get hold of this more frequent now that I can't get Saison brett from boulevard.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang