Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I have been wanting this beer for so long that now that it's in my hand I'm almost too nervous to try it. Thanks so much to demcorhip for bringing this for me from Wisconsin via Thunder Bay. 12oz bottle sample.

Pours an unfiltered pale yellow, almost white colour, with a voluminous fluffy head that dosen't quit. Lots of sediment and medium carbonation. Smell is yeasty and little funky, some earthy hop notes, coriander and cloves, some orange peel. Wheaty with some summery fruit in there as well.

Flavour is sublime, with a Granny Smith apple sourness hitting the tongue first, them moving on to all kinds of mellow bready/yeasty flavour. Pears, white grapes, all come before the funky finish that stays for a long time. Sticky and dry in the mouth but not overcarbonated, just a little bite. This goes down super-easily, but still invites you to hold it in your mouth for a long time. Very impressive Saison, and all the more impressive for being a North American beer.

11-10-2006 01:44:46 | More by trevorwideman
Estarrio

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

This bottle was brewed in Belgium, as opposed to Cooperstown, NY.

Poured a clear, bright, golden yellow with a great deal of visible carbonation. The large, frothy white head retains very well, leaving sticky lacings on the glass.

The complex aroma includes sweet fruity phenols, a spicy alcohol bite along with hints of honey, apple, hay, clove and some earthy, wood tones. This is a great smelling brew.

The taste is tart grape up front with some mild sweetness. The aftertaste is pleasingly dry and bitter. There is a big earthy, yeast presence mid-sip, coupled with some green apple and phenol flavor. Overall, this is less sweet than the U.S. brewed version.

This body is rather light and aggressively carbonated, more so than the U.S. brewed version. A very pleasant and highly drinkable saison.

10-30-2006 01:01:17 | More by Estarrio
calinative68

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

second review of this fine example of a saison....
appearance - poured with 2 fingers left which produced a clear, golden color with an amazing head. Great white head.
Smell - I made sure that I didn't make the bottle gulp, witch achieved that great floral smell that I love. Even my wife thought it has a great smell.
Taste - Crisp, good balance. I think pears or ginger and citrus. Slight pepper and yeasty.
Mouthfeel - this bottle had excellent carbonation, so it goes done easy. Which leads me into drinkability.
Easy to drink and easy to get drunk off of it!
Kick ass beer!!

10-28-2006 02:30:43 | More by calinative68
AChamberlain

4.45/5  rDev +7%

750ml bottle bought from Park Slope Food Coop. Served in wine glasses.

A: Very inviting translucent golden honey. One inch white head.

S: Floral and Fruity aromas. Some citrus.

T: Fruity and acidic and honey. Very tasty.

M: Well carbonated, has a spritey feel in the mouth. Medium-bodied.

D: Very drinkable. I could have drank the whole bottle if I hadn’t shared with my friends.

10-27-2006 16:17:48 | More by AChamberlain
GooberMcNutly

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

750 ml. Poured with a nice head, but not too big, as many Saisons are. Fell kind of quickly as well. Golden color with poor clarity and lots of suspended yeast. Not very floculent. Light aroma with hints of lemon and cherry with a persimmon note. Palate was uncomplicated with a light but distinct sour ale taste and quick finish. Plenty of carbonation left on palate for an active mouthfeel. I didn’t get the alcohol notes until about 1/2 way through the glass, then my palate opened to it and I could taste it then. My favorite Ommegang product so far.

10-25-2006 16:10:42 | More by GooberMcNutly
LarryV

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with a big rocky head. Spicy aroma with a subtle fruitiness. Slightly sweet with a spicy note, perhaps clove (?). Medium bodied with a fairly dry finish, The bottle I had said it was brewed in Belgium. Quite nice, thanks to my friend Barbara for this one!

10-24-2006 00:01:03 | More by LarryV
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Smells sweet for the most part. Murky yellow body with initially large white head. I realize I am serving it initially cooler than suggested (the label suggests 50 degrees) but maybe it’ll warm up, it’s a warm summer night after all... anyway... hm not bad. Mostly sweet (banana?) with a little hops and pepper. Good solid beer. I’m impressed

10-20-2006 22:25:05 | More by MrHurmateeowish
tempest

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

At first glance, Hennepin looks innocent enough with its hazy, yellow color and fluffy white head. But it smells like no other beer you've had, featuring tangy orange and earthy hops. Upon tasting, there's an odd complexity of citrus and herbs. Peppered lemon flavor with a hint of vanilla gives way to a tart bite of green apples, grapes and finally a grapefruit-like bitterness. It's truly an adventure in beer.

10-18-2006 01:42:11 | More by tempest
Terp96

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This is a hell of a beer. I wasn't into the farmhouse style that much until I had this one.

It pours a bright, orange/gold into my Duval tulip glass. Very effervescent with a huge head. Very inviting.

Smell is fruity with nice, spicey clove overtones.

Taste is amazing. Very light and refreshing. Distinct Belgian golden ale flavor. Slightly fruity with a spicey hop finish.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Never thin, this one isn't too thick either. There is just enough body to let you know you are drinking a quality beer but it also is dry and refreshing at the same time. Very light on the palate but with lingering flavors as well. Very balanced.

Overall one of my favorites. So good, you could drink this one all night but at 7.7% abv you might regret it. Or, maybe you won't.

10-15-2006 13:23:49 | More by Terp96
pgenius

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Very tasty stuff. Picked this up after a long day at work. Poured a thick white head and smelled awesome. It has good carbonation to it and nice hop and malt flavors. Also some mild fruity flavors. This beer was very refreshing, full bodied, and very drinkable. Highly Recommend it.

10-12-2006 05:43:11 | More by pgenius
Ivanthehero

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer poured a beautiful brilliant orange into my La Fin Du Mond tulip stolen from a Quebec City hotel.

Smell-I think Saisons are some of the best smelling beers. I don't know what to compare their smell to, perhaps a fresh bag of nature. Mmmm, nature.

Taste- Tart citrus. Very crisp, does not linger on the palate. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel- I'm a big fan of tiny little bubbles, which this has. Kinda sticky afterwards.

Drinkability- Man, I would be trashed if if someone offered me one of these after exercising. It really hits the spot and if I were parched I do believe I would drain one of these before you could say Ommegang.

10-12-2006 04:53:44 | More by Ivanthehero
beersabound

Alaska

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

The yummy ale is very drinkable and a rather good example of a saison. However, whether compared to its brethen across the pond, I feel this one is a bit simple. It pours a lovely golden hue with fits of carbonation busting out to yield a great rocky eternal noodle. The aroma is of noble hops and lemon mostly. The flavor has a nice malt character that well supports the hop and citrus flavors. The body is medium/light and mouthfeel is round and pleasant. The alcohol is mildly perceived which aids in the drinkability. I didn't get much of the complex flavors and aromas that come with some of the Belgian saisons. This one is very enjoyable though.

10-10-2006 18:18:29 | More by beersabound
FuzzyGuy84

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

750ml bottle poured into wine glasses.

A - Thick and creamy white head - stays a long time. Cloudy and maize colored. Great amount of bubbles coming up the side. Just great.

S - Citrus, mild hops, grain scent is definetely coming through as well. Quite powerful and robust.

T - Bitter and highly carbonated. Great fruity acidity at the back of the mouth. Some residual alcohol taste. Fantsatic.

M - Lots of carbonation, very full bodied. Outstanding.

D - Bring home a bottle and share with friends. A crowd pleaser for the sophisticated beer drinker.

10-09-2006 21:46:19 | More by FuzzyGuy84
Callenak

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Cork and Caged 750ml. Been meaning to pick this up at my local liquor store, but just haven't got around to it. So finally gave it a shot.

Pours a murky, golden color with a huge, fluffy white head. The head decided to stick around a while on this one, which I didn't mind. Smell is very appealing. Yeast first, then some earthy hoppiness.

Taste is sweet with a slight sourness to it. Very refreshing. As it warms up it improves greatly. I was worried it might have been skunked. Didn't know how long it had been sitting at my local shop, but it was far from.

I wouldn't mind trying this one again. Still don't know how long that bottle had been there, so might have to keep an eye out for some fresh stuff.

10-02-2006 23:19:17 | More by Callenak
peabody

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

pours out a cloudy straw color with lots of suds. Three fingers in my tulip glass but I poured it roughly.
Smell is intense. Orange/blueberry yeast with a hint of a sweet malt. Cinnamon or clove is way in the back there.
Taste is a wonderful mix of fruit and malt and sugar. Very sweet brew here.
Mouthfeel is very clean with little carbonation and the hops are almost non-existant.
Drinkability is fantastic here, one could drink a bunch of this stuff.
Highly recommended.

10-01-2006 03:48:25 | More by peabody
cjgator3

4.45/5  rDev +7%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a large Duvel tulip glass. Pours a golden yellow color with large fluffy white head. Nose is of sweet malt that is earthy, floral and some crisp citrus. Taste is fruity and earthy that finishes bone dry. I love saisons and this is no exception. Another solid brew from Ommegang. Definately recommended.

09-26-2006 02:13:34 | More by cjgator3
geetlord

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer poured clear and golden with a nice head 2 fingerwidths in thickness.
it smelled of hops as well as fruits and flowers. The flavor was hoppy and pleasantly tart. There were hints of fruit and flowers generaly adding to the complexity of the flavor. I found the carbonation fun and enjoyable. Overall I enjoyed this beer and would ahve it agian.

09-25-2006 00:53:20 | More by geetlord
demcorhip

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Appearance
Bright golden straw coloured beer poured with a generous two finger creamy white head. Some yeast manged to make it in to give a particulate haze to this otherwise very clear brew. This medium carbonated brew was finely laced once the head settled.

Aroma
Bready and a fruity, lemony aroma greeted my nose along with an earthy grassiness and hint of clove.

Taste
Lightly toasted malts give nice cracker and bread backbone to this brew. A touch of lemon and an earthy grassiness and peppery hops nicely compliment the malts in this one. Theres also more fruit flavours that became even more apparent while drinking this one, hints of green apple, pear, and green grapes. The yeast also contributes here with a definate tang with a touch of funk as well as some clove flavour.

Mouthfeel
This is a sparkly, tangy and crisp mostly balanced medium bodied brew. Was quite peppery, which is something im not quite used to, which along with the alcohol, warmed my belly.

Drinkability
This is a tasty and refereshing beer with lots going on in it. Would make a decent session brew, and a good introduction to the realm of belgian styled ales. Challenges the palate, not due to the sheer size of its flavours, but moreso the depth, complexity and interplay between them. Ill be drinking this again.

09-24-2006 23:42:42 | More by demcorhip
badbeer

Iowa

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Cloudy golden color with white head, leaving a good lacing. Smell is yeasty, with different spices, some lemon and clove, has a flowery smell too. Clove and bread beginning, with some sourness and spices coming through. Average carbonation paired with a light and dry body. Pretty good, would try it again.

09-22-2006 03:59:52 | More by badbeer
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a red wine glass at 45 degrees.

Pours a clear light golden color with a foamy head that I let dissipate before I took my first sip. Smells of spice and grass with a definite whiff of alcohol. The alcohol is very well balanced with a warming spicy flavor and some lemon hints. Not to be rushed - let it soak in for awhile before you swallow...enjoy the warming feeling rush back before your next sip.

This is the perfect special occasion beer...I plan on keeping some handy just in case.

09-20-2006 00:37:29 | More by JohnnyM2002
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours yellow with a thick foamy white head that is well-retained and leaves foamy lacing along the sides of the glass.

The smell is of citrusy lemon, bready yeast and a slight medicinal aroma in the background.

The taste of lemon mixed with honey. Sourbread and grainy malt come into play a little later. The taste is not overly assertive, but always present enough.

The feel is smooth and refreshing. It's easy to drink, the flavors linger and the body holds up well.

A solid choice for a saison. It's not my favorite of the style (it's just behind DuPont and Smuttynose Farmhouse), but it's certainly a goody I do recommend.

09-19-2006 22:27:12 | More by jwc215
mjd83goblue

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

750 mL corked bottle for $5.39

A: Pours golden with 1 1/2" of thick head that stays. Relatively clear body, carbonation bubbles are streaming up the whole time.

S: Lemon and other citrus, some grass, a little spice, and what other reviews describe as 'funk'. I'm not sure how better to desribe it, so funk it is.

T: Fruity, with tart apples and lemon. Not as much spice as I expected, but a touch of clove with the hops. Finishes a little sour and quite dry.

M: Crisp, light, and highly carbonated, but not negatively so.

D: A complex brew, but not filling

Substitute this for a white wine at dinner. A great American take on the style, and a great price for what you get. (Although I think I might prefer my local Bam Biere from Jolly Pumpkin)

09-16-2006 01:00:37 | More by mjd83goblue
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

My second bottle of Hennepin ever, this one sampled with a group of non-BA friends, most of whom really enjoyed it!

Poured a moderate gold colour with a finger-width white head into our clear plastic sample glasses (wine glass style). Aroma is spicy and peppery, with fall fruits (apples?) and a little bit of that well-known funk.

Taste is definitely farmhouse, with hay, grass, damp wood or leather, among other notes. The tart fruit elements remain, and the carbonation is relatively high, although I think that suits the style. Mouthfeel is pleasant if you're looking for something crisp and refreshing.

I know this is an oft-recommended beer for food pairings, and a popular beer in general. And, I agree that it's not bad. But I don't see anything spectacular about it, and I wonder if the only reason why it's such a good pairing is that its flavours are restrained and inoffensive. It's a good bottle to have around when friends come over and want something different but not too out there, though.

09-15-2006 20:22:48 | More by crwills
GimpyCane

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Outside of it's normal brew appearence, you know, light blond w/ a rocky huge white head this beer rocks. IMO, it looked like a Bud Light but the flavor and aroma had me wanting more and more. To begin, I first got a nice heavy blast of grainy malt w/ a hint of honey, coriander and clove. The brew had a pleasant light body, watery, and fizzy(small bubbles) enough to make it feel like champaign. I could also taste all it components such as the coriander, malt, hint of yeast and etc. This brew is really good and will buy several bottles next time, so that my wife and I could enjoy thoughout the night.

09-13-2006 23:17:43 | More by GimpyCane
rarevos

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into Chimay goblet. Yeast swirled and added to glass.

A: Light golden-yellow, opaque. Fluffy white head fills the rest of the goblet. Good staying power, leaves sticky trails behind.

S: Grassy, spicy, flowery. An outdoorsman's beer?

T/M: Grassy and herbal up front, like lawn clippings, hay, and coriander (it's better than it sounds, trust me). There's a little bit of a "rustic funk" which adds some earthiness, spiciness and boldness. Far less funky than the Saison DuPont I had. The finish here is crisp, dry, and slightly bitter.

D: It occurs to me that someone could use the exact same description above, and present it as evidence to NOT drink the beer. Grass? Hay? Funk? Saisons are an odd bunch, and I'm not sure I've ever met someone who's indifferent to them; you either love them or hate them.

I think this is a marvelous beer. Ommegang is without question my favorite local (loose definition of "local" here) brewer. I wouldn't drink a six-pack of Hennepin, but it's a great, crisp, rustic, flavorful beer. A good example of the style, and a good beer by itself.

09-12-2006 15:27:14 | More by rarevos