Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

V.07 (or late 06)

Beautiful hazy straw, with a nice agressive fluff topping. Takes it time to receed, and laces nicely.
Aromatic bliss, with a combination of banana/clove/bread/spice & a little bit of funk. Clean, with clear direction.
Complexity of tart pear/banana/juicyfruit/citrus/spice...
Wet,crisp & clean. Quick to deliver and just as quick to get out, leaving the mouth begging for more.
Pairs well with just about anything (here's to saisons!), but holds itself very well on it's own. You really don't feel like you're consuming just another beer with this guy. Tremendous job, and highly recommended due to the finesse achieved.

scott, Apr 24, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

It's pint night at Taco Mac! That means if you get a pint o' their beer o' the month, you get a piece of authentic glassware to add to your collection. What a wonderful idea!

Appearance: golden, cloudy, perfectly conditioned. A thin off-white lacing up the inside of the glass and over the rim tells me it had a good head on it when it was poured. The head reduced to a fine layer of thin bubbles which didn't go away until the beer got warmer and I had consumed most of it.

Smell: lightly spicy, a little citrusy... it was hard to tell with the smell of food in the air. Very enticing, though. I just had to take a sip...

Taste: flippin awesome. Citrusy hops, spicy goodness and yummy yeastiness (is that a word?). I had to go to Ommegang's site to see what they had put in there: gingersnap! Unbelievable.

Mouthfeel: crispy, sweet, a little lingering resin from the hops and an interesting "je ne se qua" from the yeast.

Drinkability: definitely drinkable. I want another, but next time I'm going for the bottle. Another magnificent brew from Cooperstown.

StarSAELS, Apr 20, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

750ml bottle Poured into a belgian goblet/cereal bowl style glass.

Great how Ommegang's beers hold together, cork pops right off yet no head even attempts to escape.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow hefe like colour with a thick creamy head. Tiny bubbles rise for hours as this beer sits, was poured too cold so I let it sit to get to proper tasting temperature. Lacing never fades on this beer.

Smell: Slight barnyard, sweet and earthy if that's possible. Belgian yeast for certain. Lots of spices. Corriander, Orange, Allspice?

Taste: Slight horsy flavor, candi sugars, spices big time, they could have even eased up on the candi sugars a little on this one. It's quite sweet for the "farmhouse saison" flavor that they claim it to be, but quite nice for the style and very drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation and a sweet/sour flavor that lingers on the tounge.

Overall: Damn this is a great beer. Ommegang really came thru for me on this one, my only thing that I don't love is that the candi sugar is a bit upfront. About 6 mos of aging and that sugar would likely mellow out and be a near perfect beer. I'd like to witness this brew's steps in the brewery. An absolute pleasure to drink that I will come back to again and again.

blakesell, Apr 15, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

I had this on tap at Waterzooi tonight and it felt different from the bottle version I was used to. It alternated between a little watery and having the coriander zing to it above the chunky grains. It looked great in its glass, but I was a little taken aback as I seem to like the bottle version better overall.

Strangely, the after taste came to me 5 minutes after I left the bar with the previously mentioned banana esters and the bitterness of the hops. I thought maybe the keg was on the way out, so I'll hold back on any further thoughts.

bonbright7, Apr 14, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Presentation: 750 ML bottle, no dating of any kind, poured into the Hennepin slender golbet style glass that was sold with the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color, light carbonation rising inside. The head formeda thick, creamy off-white color that faded slightly but maintained throughout.

Aroma: Peppery, spicey, tough to describe but very inviting.

Taste: Lemony and up front, then cloves, yeast and alcohol follow seemingly all at once. Sweet and spicy flavors battle and balance each other perfectly. The finish is dry and spicy but not bitter. Overall, exquisite.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, smooth, and creamy. The carbonation was also in good balance.

Overall: I'm honestly in shock that something this good is made here in the good ol' USA. No offense to American brewers, but beer this good is usually exclusive to Belgium. Arguably the best beer made in this entore country. If you have not tried this yet, do so immediately.

FenwaySquid, Apr 13, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one with me. thanks eric! my good friend borys also hooked me up with one of the corked+caged 750ml bottles back before i started reviewing, so thanks go out to borys too.

12oz bottle.

pours hazy yellow with a big dense white head. drops fairly quickly, but leaves a sheet of lace.

aroma is nice. lots of funk and spice. clove. alcohol. fruity too. cherries.

taste is great. med-low bitterness. bit of alcohol. clove. bit of grain husk. light bready malt. light funk.

mouthfeel is good. very light bodied with a high but well integrated carbonation with no sting.

drinkability is great. alcohol is hidden well. tasty and very refreshing. great stuff.

grub, Apr 07, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Served in a Hennepin glass at Hopleaf 3/25/07. Assist by HeatherAnn!!!

A: Served a pale gold color with almost no head. Faint skim and ring.

S: Faint sweet aromas of fruit. Apples and pears. Hops in the nose also.

T: White wine grapiness, very lite barnyard funk, pretty tame for the style for me. Herbal hoppiness.

M: Very dry, hoppy, and bitter.

D: Pretty good. Too hoppy and too mild in all the other flavors, to me, for the style. I'll take a Saison Dupont or De Glazen Toren Saison any day of the week.

GbVDave, Apr 07, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

On Tap at a favorite beer bar.

Appearance: Pours somewhat whitish yellow color. Head adheres to the glass.

Smell: A very spicy beer. It has a different type of smell that is remarkably good.

Taste: I was expecting a strong, overpowering taste, but it was very drinkable and satisfying to the taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Smooth all the way. Very light and soft, providing a bit of tingly sensation with every sip.

Drinkability: Alcohol is hardly noticable with exceptional flavor.

This beer was a great find. After attending the Strong Ale fest in San Francisco this year, I really have taken to Strong Ales. I would recommend if you are looking to broaden your beer drinking scope. If you are not comfortable with drinking beer out of a something other than a pint glass, avoid this one.

2LBrew, Apr 05, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

I had to grab this when I saw it at Sparrow's in Hoboken, having had a taste at the South Street Seaport during Beerfest in September. Comes in a very hefty, corked bottle. Beautiful presentation.

I don't have a goblet, so I used a tulip glass. (Heretical, I know.) Big massive head on this one, cloudy appearance, reminiscent of a witbier. I could see the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

Smells fabulous -- citrus, spice, a little bit of hops. Even my wife, who generally dislikes beer, remarked on how good it smelled.

Taste...wow. Some ginger, coriander, citrus, some hops, all at play, but it isn't overwhelming...very subtle and fun. It's very light, decent carbonation, feels great in the mouth. Goes down very lightly. The taste changes as the beer warms. It's very complex, yet very drinkable.

Drinking Hennepin made me want to have a beer tasting party. Maybe some Asian-fusion-barbeque. Yeah. And it was only $4.95 at Sparrow's, FYI. Great deal. I'll be back next weekend for another couple bottles.

Newsman, Mar 27, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw 750ml corked bottles of this stuff at my local supermarket (along with 750 mls of Duvel and La Fin Du Monde,the manager must be a BAer?) with a $4.99 price tag (the Duvel was 8.99 and La Fin 3.99, I bought 3 of each!)...

Poured straight from the store temp (55-60) to my goblet. Beautiful golden color with a thick white fluffy head that lasted half way through leaving a pretty "bridal panty" lacing.

It smelled kind of funky/sour?, but ok just the same.

I like the taste, it's sweet/sour/hot/spicy and the alcohol warms at the end.

It has mucho carbination but feels good in the mouth, I swirlled the glass as it got low and like the fuzzy foam in my mouth.

Very, very drinkable, I'm glad I got 3 and tomorrow I'll probably go back for 3 more!

JoeyBeerBelly, Mar 22, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +7%

750ml corked and caged into chimay chalice

Pours a hazy gold with deep creamy meringue-like head which lasts the life of the beer and leaves generous sticky lace.

Nose is pears, banana, lemon, a lovely sweet / sour yeasty belgian funk and a bit of peppery spice.

Flavors include banana, pear, lemon and a hoppy and spicy bitterness toward the end finishing with that belgian yeast sourness. Dry finish.

Biting carbonation with a light thin mouthfeel and an astringent finish.

Drinkability is excellent and the alcohol presence is very well hidden. Wish I had another bottle.

This pairs brilliantly with comte cheese incidentally.

I must get more of this beer.

sethmeister, Mar 20, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Hennepin fills my goblet with an amazing amount of fluffy, rocky, meringue style head – easily half the glass! 2 inches at the very least – shades of an Duvel style head here… the ale itself is a very pale gold, with vigorous carbonation that assists the (now rapidly falling) head. Short lived as the head is, it’s certainly a beaut! Ahh, what the heck, I’ll add some more beer to the glass just to revive the thing…

The smell is subdued, but I get an extremely “Belgian” yeast shock when I stick my nose into the glass. Fruity, sour esters and spice notes jump out as well. Lemon and an acidic tartness linger in the background.

Taste is rather tripel-like: pale malts, alcohol, coriander, clove, fruity rose / sour apple, some unripe pear perhaps? Interesting and mild, not in your face, which adds to the drinkability, in my opinion. A good beer, but not one I’m crazy about.

Mouthfeel is creamy, mildly dry, and finishes estery sour. Quite nice for what it is.

Hennepin is a fine American example of a Belgian-style Saison. A rather complex and excellent sipping beer. An real steal at $6 for a 750ml bottle.

kkipple, Mar 17, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours out a shimmering and slightly hazed gold with lots of bubbles in the body and a thick, frothy, fluffy head that maintains its size and clings to the side of the glass, leaving elaborate lacing patterns. Aroma starts off with a sweet mix of vanilla, jasmine, apricots and sweet oranges, with underlying bready and grainy smells. Alcohol is in there but doesn't detract too much. Flavor starts with a bit of grain, but underneath it is a malty, bready, and slightly nutty body. Belgian yeast characteristics are there with the fruity esters with a definite apricot presence. Hops add a great floral touch that really expands in the aftertaste. Finishes dry and rather clean. Only thing really detracting here is a warm alcohol presence which I'd rather not be experiencing. Mouthfeel is incredible. Isn't at all weighty from the alcohol level. Bubbly in the mouth, but not overly prickly: just enough to bring out the subtle flavors. Pretty drinkable, but I just wish the alcohol presence were a bit more subdued.

goochpunch, Mar 17, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured out of a 750ml corked bottle, with the "2005 Cave-aged released October 8, 2005" tag around the neck. It's been in my basement for a year or two.

A - Before I poured, I noticed that the bottle had TONS of stuff on the bottom. Poured out, it's a hazy light orange color. Decent head and carbonation.

S - Fruit, slight malt. Smells like alot of other top end saisons I've had.

T - Malty, dried fruits, relatively dry. Very good and what you'd expect froma world class saison.

M - lot's of carbonation, light body, dry finish with a decent amount of alcohol.

D - Very. That's about all i can say. If you like saison, consider this a good, cheap "session saison". You can drink alot of this one.

It's great taste, good quality, extremely drinkable.

LvilleIPA, Mar 16, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a hazy pale orange with a golden aura. White head is very creamy and frothy, stiffens up nicely and shows great retention.

The smell is a floral, zesty blend of lemon, orange, banana, and Belgian yeast. The flavor follows, with the addition of subtle vanilla, corriander, and a pleasant, warming buzz of alcohol.

The mouth is complex and well carbonated. It is lively and volatile on the palate, with a lingering, yet ultimately clean finish. Good drinkability, but the alcohol and dense flavor might prevent it from acting as a true session brew.

Amazing overall. Best saison I have had.

Osiris9588, Mar 15, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Slightly hazy dull golden color with heavy carbonation. Pours an amazingly dense 2 finger peak and valley head. Some lace too.
S: Complex swirl of florals, yeast, peppery spices and a little orange.
T: So much going on with this. Tartness up front with a little orange and some sweet malt followed with numerous spices - coriander most notably - and some yeast. Hops comes through predominantly towards the end. Interplay between all of these things is constant throughout and changes as it warms.
M: Carbination makes this pretty airy and bubbly. Really dry finish that screams give me more.
D: A 750 is never enough which can be trouble given the ABV. One of my all time favorites.

VitBAficionado, Mar 11, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

wow, over 700 reviews as of my posting. Guess this is popular. It's easy to see why. I've had this before but it's been a while. SO, for my review I'm going to stray from the usual format. This was a tasty brew, straw colored and a bit musty in the aroma. The taste - ignore the serve at 50 recommendation on the bottle. Much better around 60.

This is one of those mild brews that sneaks around and smacks you upside the head with a surprising complexity. The key is serving at the right temp. Too cold and you miss it. I'm glad I decided to take a trip down beer memory lane with this one!

barleywinebrewer, Mar 09, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance is a very light and golden color. Thick and bubbly head, much like an root beer float. Tons of carbonation. Almost looks like a white wine, to some degree.

Deep, spicy Belgian scent. Has a nice sour smell. Appealing, slightly wine-like aroma. It smells sweet and even a bit flowery.

Very strong and pungent taste. Bursting with serious, HOT Belgian flavor. Almost takes my breath away due to its strength. Close to a liquor in flavor.

Light and bubbly feel, but with a major kick on the back end. There is even that hard liquor "burn" at the end. This is delicious, but let's face it, it's a one-off because of its strength.

williamherbert, Mar 08, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a pale orange with a slowly diminishing head that left decent lacing on the glass. The aroma was malty with a light fruitiness that was accompanied by a good spiciness. The great spiciness overpowered the taste. There was a good balance of hops and malt that provided a good background to the spices. The beer sits lightly and very crisp on the tongue. The alcohol was also well hidden. This is a very enjoyable beer.

atsprings, Mar 03, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

The beer poured a straw-yellow color, with a thick, white head. It smelled yeasty, fruity and spicy. It has a slight sour, citrus taste, with a dry, yeast finish. It was well carbonated, but not overly fizzy. I would say this is a very good Saiason from and American (but Belgium owned) brewery.

cichief, Mar 02, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

From a 750 corked and caged. I poured gently as not to disrupt the yeast at the bottom. It is a lovely bronze color with a thick white head with the prevelent carbonation of any good belgian style ale. Smells interestingly sweet and sour and the same time. I got hints of candy as well as a slight musk. Upon first tasting it was apparent that this was a belgian at heart. Sweet candy malts on the front, but a bit of hops came through later. The biggest taste left with me after each sip was of a sourish funk, and I mean that in a good way. Very unique, as this was my first foray into the saison category. Wonderful mouthfeel and highly drinkable. I actually paired it with a southern style potato salad on zesty vegetable crackers and that really brought out the flavor. Highly enjoyable!

bluegrassbrew, Feb 28, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

A-Slightly murky golden yellow with fluffy white head that dissipates to a thin layer quickly.

S-Fairly sweet with fruity esters, but overall far more reminiscent of a simple pilsner. A little piney hops.

T-Somewhat sweet with little hop balance- very slight bitterness, almost an orange peel bitter, or maybe grapefruit. Very strong flavor that I picked up and tried to place, I think it's honeydew. Surprisingly, alcohol is barely in there.

M-Highly carbonated with a relatively light body and dry finish.

D-The beer is good, but not as complex as I was expecting, and far more drinkable-dangerously so for a 7.7.

khiasmus, Feb 25, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured out of a 750ml corked and cage bottle. The color is like a hazy miller lite, though the second half of the bottle was more orange in color. The white head is nice soapy and rocky, that left some real nice lacing on the side of the glass. The smell is not very strong, it kind of reminds me of a pilsner, with the noble hops. The taste is of Belgian yeast, tart apple, some sweetness and finishes with a slight bitterness to balance the flavors. This ale drinks very much like a lager, it has nice carbonation and finishes crisp. A very drinkable brew, it has a nice balance of flavors but nothing outstanding to make it distinct.

Gmann, Feb 25, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Very clear straw yellow with a billowy white head, soapy and rocky, lots of bubbles floating up the glass.

Smell: Very aromatic, a little yeasty sweetness, citrus, faint spicy alcohol, a little floral, real complex smell.

Taste: A very spicy tartness with alcohol in the nose, cloves and pepper, the flavors linger and then end with a very dry finish. Suggestions of lime, anise, rosemary, oregano? I'm trying to place some flavors, but this has so much going on.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, carbonation is bubbly, body is medium and slick, finish is very dry, leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: A very cool beverage regardless of style, refreshing like a lager but as complex as any. Very easy to drink and a cool complex saison.

guitarmage, Feb 24, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A- cloudy pale gold color with a frothy two finger whte head and excellent retent on that, some thin lacing

S- floral, biscuit, toasty, sweet

T- malt sweetness hits first, then comes spicy, hoopy, and earthy flavors, tangy citrus in there as well. Tart finish and aftertaste

M- light bodied and smooth, carbonation tickles

D- sessionable and delightful, highly refreshing and drinkable. alcohol not noticeable. loving this brew and this style

tonistruth, Feb 23, 2007