Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a great beer. The smell was of apples and grapefruit. Heavy tanic taste which reminded me of camp fire smoke. This would be a great beer to have before dinner. It has a sharp smoke finish and is bitter at times but very drinkable and even refreshing.

acarrb4, Aug 08, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

First off, I must confess, this is one of my favorite beers to drink. Tasty, good price, now available in MN, and from a brewery I respect a lot and have visited a couple times. Second, this is a two year old bottle, purchased right from the brewery 22 months ago. Third, this comes after a forum post in which everyone seems to think this beer does not age well. I will dispute that in the following.

Into its dedicated Hennepin glass, pours a somewhat hazy gold, slight yellow, with a large fluffy head, good staying power, decent lacing down the glass, lots of carbonation swirling about. The aroma, based on my previous review, has lost some edge, particularly the hops, but still maintains a generous spiciness, orange peel and coriander, still very nice.

The taste has always been good, and still is. Like the aroma, it seems to have mellowed out a little, but it retains the generous spicing of orange peel, cloves, the hops still departing an earthy feel and leading to a drying finish. The mouth is above medium, carbonation is fine but substantial.

So, I might say that a full two years might be a bit much for Hennepin... not that I regret it, but it seems to be at its best at about a year old, imo. As it stands, its still a delicious beer that I thoroughly enjoy.

objectivemonkey, Jul 31, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Hennepin has always been a favorite of mine so it seems fitting to make it my first review.

A: pale, straw, quite crisp and clear and very carbonated with mountainous white head that lasts and lasts and...

S: citrus, yeasty, hoppy and slightest hint of banana

T: tart, nicely hoppy

M: crisp,perfectly carbonated and again, tart. Foamy head rests on the bottom of my glass - must finish

D: very drinkable. Great fora lazy, hot day quencher

750ml bottle poured into a large (24oz?) mug. I know, probably not the proper glass but it's what I like.

Rainintheface, Jul 28, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

a - poured a two-fingers thick, white, bubbly and fizzy head into a snifter that left minimal lace but after swirl of the glass a fluffy head came back strong. the body was clear and golden.
s - mild hints of lemon, bananas, medicinal or alcoholic esters with a little dry biscuity aroma thrown in.
t - spice and biscuits.
m - slick and clean on the tongue with a little crisp kick.
d - easily drinkable and enjoyable. i've had this one for a while and enjoyed but i seem to like it fresher.

GPHarris, Jul 27, 2007
4.15/5  rDev 0%

For such a strong beer it is very refresing. It runs about 8 to 9$ a four pack. I have only found this beer at Total Wine.

It has a light pale color that pours a rich foamy head

It has a light smell that is in know way over powering.

It tastes great and once again not too over powering.

The mouthfeel and drinkabillity are incredible. You have to be carefull because this beer will sneak up on you with a 7.7 %

great choice if you can afford it.

drinkalot123, Jul 27, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

750ml bottle poured into goblet.

Pours a hazy, bubbly gold with a large fluffy head. Heavy lacing.

The nose is peppery, wood, and dull lemon followed by those old candies called "Bottle Caps" - tart with faint cola. Interesting to say the least.

A very complex taste. Bringing the glass to the mouth you get a whiff of the tart - hitting the palette I can make out some citrus peel, pepper, and wood. Actually reminds me a bit of a Corsican moonshine called Pastise (sp?) I had when visiting the Mediterranean Island. I was told Pastise was made from grape stems and it also had a very woody taste.

The mouthfeel is jumpy with the usual Saison bubbles, mildly oily and left somewhat tart with a pepper finish. A slight warmth of alcohol lingers.

Pretty damn drinkable and pleased that I finally ran across this offering. I will enjoy sharing it with others and will certainly tango with it again.

jdoncbus, Jul 27, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Hennepin

Appearance- Light copper brown with a super thick head. Heavy lacing throughout.
Smell- Alcohol, vanilla, clove, and spice.
Taste- slighty tart up front with a spicey clove, vanilla, and orange rind flavor.
Mouthfeel- Boozey throughout. A little tart and crisp with the bulk of the flavor in the end.

Overall- Not as musty or funky as I was expecting. Light flavor with a big alcohol presence. The strong highly noticable alcohol knocks this 1 down a notch.

NJpadreFan, Jul 27, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

Heard so much about this beer and having been a BA for nearly four years, I cannot believe I am only now trying it for the first time.
The 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass a cloudy yellow orange colour with a snow white head probably three inches thick. Looks nice. Smell was good, but rather off for the style, I thought. Smell was more akin to a tripel than a farmhouse saison. The damp, musty, basement smell present in nearly every saison I have ever had is totally abscent in this one. Taste, too was far from a saison, IMO. Also, likely the worst thing about this is the detectable level of alcohol. To me, a farmhouse saison should be smooth and easy drinking, smell like a mouldy, damp basement, and have a rather pronounced tartness. This is bereft of any of the afore mentioned traits, and again, if I were just given this to drink, not knowing what it was, I'd probably enjoy it and exlaim, "I've had better tripels, but this one's not bad.." I don't know guys, for all the hype surrounding this one, I must admit, I'm quite dis-pleased with it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

SilentSabre, Jul 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

My first chance to grab a beer from this hyped brewery and it does not disappoint. Pours a perfect gold with a big puffy head, very carbonated beer. Aromas are passion fruit, pears and some berries, strawberry with a nice non-overpowering alcohol smell in there. Taste is great, the same fruits, some pineapple. Very smooth, somewhat dry and earthy, which must be the hops showing through. Saisons are a great beer, and to find a state-side brewery that does it this well is quite a treat. Go get some now!

saintwarrick, Jul 24, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Form a 22 oz bomber.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a nice big head into a snifter glass. A bit light on smell, but this isn't too unusual in the style in my experience. The taste is fantastic. Wonderful yeasty and herbal flavors. Slight sourness that defines the style. I love this for a summer drink. Quite drinkable despite the ABV.

mhaugan, Jul 24, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

I've had this one on tap a few times, and while it's one of my favorite styles, I was never too impressed with the Hennepin. This is my first bottle. As soon as I twisted the cage loose, the corked exploded out, with a little bit of gush, but a relatively easy pour, into my St. Feuillien Goblet. The Saison is a golden yellow with tons of streamers and a big, pillowly white head. While I'd rather it a bit cloudy, the head is really gorgeous, and with the effervescence, continues to grow in a nice rocky fashion. It is very slow to subsided and leaves blankets of foam and lace to the very end.

The smell is sweet, some honey and vanilla, a bit floral, with rustic grain, a decent bite of booze, and a hint of diactyle as it warms. Overall, more omphh and saison-like then it is on draft, so it's off to a good start, although still on the understated side.

Well, so far this has been much better then the draft version, which was bland and unobjectable. While the taste certainly isn't bland, it's really not too good. Initially there's some sweetness, but it's quickly overcome by a husky astringency, is a tad chalky, rather hot and boozy. Letting it warm too much, it gets worse, funky, but not in that fun belgian way, just off, with a bit of diactyle. Overall, it seems like they were more focused with making it taste rough for that farmhouse authenticity, rather then taste really good. I'm not so hard points wise on the graininess, but booze is too much to ignore, especially for only 7.7.

The mouthfeel is very creamy, medium light bodied.

This wasn't too drinkable. It was just too husky and astringent, and not enjoyable enough. While the heat might fade in cellar, I'm not so sure about those grain tannins.

ccrida, Jul 19, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Cloudy yellow-gold with a very thick head filled with countless small bubbles (I might have stirred up the yeast too much).

Smell - Immediately noticable sourness, without being overly funky. A slight citrus note with definite hints of pepper. Wonderfully floral bouquet.

Taste - Mildly spicy with a citrus hops character to it. As it warms, it sweetens well. Yeasty, but not overwhelmingly so. This is far more complex than most beers I am used to, but extremely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - As crisp and pleasantly carbonated a beer as I have ever had. This is as wonderful of a mouthfeel as I have ever had.

Drinkability - Based on the crispness and the complex taste, one would never guess this was nearing 8% ABV. I could easily down a couple of these, although to do so might take these in vain.

*This is probably my new favorite beer, and one of the most complex yet enjoyable beers I have ever had.

BWMKappaSig, Jul 17, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a light,golden yellow. A little hazy but not cloudy. Large, foamy white head four fingers tall which dissipates very slowly to the rim leaving lace that sticks very nicely. Tight head. Lots of bubbles. Highly carbonated. A pretty good looking beer when poured in the proper glassware. I used a Duvel tulip glass.

Light hoppiness in the aroma. Peppery. Sour overtones, some horseblanket which is typical of the farmhouse ales.

Flavor is tart/sour but only lightly. Not overpowering at all.This beer has a clean, crisp feeling to it in the beginning before it trails off leaving a dry,slightly bitter aftertaste. Very drinkable especially on a warm summer day.

Malts used have a toasty/buiscuty flavor which shows up in the middle. Balance between the malts and hops are good. Classic belgian yeast characteristics. At the very end you have a mild alcohol warmth that helps comfort you.

Two 12oz bottles with your BBQ makes for a relaxing time.

Tomas77, Jul 16, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Greenpoint Deli has the whole Ommegang ouevre so I am going through it.

A-A meringue like cloud with peaks and valleys tops a semi clear dark golden liquid. There is a steady stream of bubbles replenishes this beauty of a head. The head here truly is a work of art.

S-a musky sweetness with some banana and clove like flavours going on. The smell as a whole is subdued slightly and I have had Saisons that smell a bit stronger. However this is a good smelling brew.

D-The fluffy head hits your senses as you inhale which gets those scents to meld very nicely with the taste. It is slightly sweet with those same banana/clove flavours a slight bitterness and a slight funky acidity. The farmhouse taste that I have detected in stronger versions is there but muted. Still this is pretty tasty. The hops are there as a bitterness but I can't detect them in the aroma or flavour.

M-Slightly thick with less carbonation than I expected due to the steady stream of bubbles. Still for what the beer tastes like the mouthfeel does a goodjob of getting the flavours to linger in the mouth. the wonderful head also helps too.

D-Not the best Saison I have ever had as I could go with a little more musky farmhouse taste. By farmhouse I mean what others call horseblanket, but I have never rode a horse no less tasted their blanket. So I take it to be that musty funk I have detected in others. I take this to be more of a combo Tripel/Saison type of beer. Still this is one heck of a beer and since it is in state for me costs half of what the imports cost. Will buy again.

Edit-At the end of the bottle i decided to pour the yeast in unlike what the bottle recommends. I have a smaller chalice so i get three glasses out of a 750 so the first two were sans yeast and the third included it. The yeast adds the funk i was looking for. The bottle says dont pour it in, which i think works for half the beer

sleazo, Jul 14, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

750ml Bottle
$5.99
Binny's Orland

Hennepin pours a hazy straw golden with tiny natural carbonation bubbles rising to the surface. A two finger white eggshell head forms on the pour that sticks around awhile leaving chunky lace after each sip that falls back to the body. A very good looking saison.

Aroma is tough to pick up through the dense head. Slight lemon sourness. The classic barnyard scents are in there as well but toned down. Freshly cut hay. Very refreshing. Aromas fit together seamlessly.

Mildly tart lemon upfront. The tartness lingers as subtle grassy undertones show up mid palate. Finishes with a nice grassy, lemongrass hoppiness. Touch of alcohol on the swallow. There's even some of that Belgian candi sugar feel although I don't think any is added. Very refreshing.

Crisp, clean (for a saison) light bodied mouthfeel. Finishes bone dry letting the hops come forward. Very nicely done.

In the summer months I could tip back Hennepin all day long. Such an easy sipper and so refreshing.

Hennepin is a beer that is constantly stocked in my fridge. One of my favorite summer sippers and at an affordable price. Not as funky as a couple of my favorites but as thirst quenching and enjoyable as a saison can get.

joe1510, Jul 08, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Sitting here ..in Houston, humidity 98% and a homemade pizza in the oven: Its time for my 750ml bottle of Hennepin...

Pours a light honey colour..

Nice sized head on pour, but disappears after 15mins with the glass i was using..

Straight up farmhouse smell, but not as funky as some from belgium..

Good bitterness level..
Sweetness is also done very nicely..
..a good balance..

aftertaste is very good but maybe needs a bit more assertiveness...

Overall, I am happy i tried this brew but am at a loss wether it is as good as Dupont, Hennepin seems a bit sweeter and not enough bitterness to make it a great- but still I did enjoy it!!

...Music- "Lady Dana" 'Climax' -the CD ...

Onslow, Jul 07, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Large, corked bottle. Poured into a Duvel glass (I wasn't really sure the best glass).
I had had this one a long time ago in New York, and had better memories...
Beautiful golden, slightly hazy, with a plentiful white head with very long retention.
Smell is yeasty, fruity and earthy, but it had a few unpleasant notes, soap like.
Firm and highly refreshing, it lacks a little bit in depth, but it is still pleasantly yeasty, fruity, with multiple citric notes that unfortunately fade quite quickly.
Not the best Ommegang offer, but still quite nice.

brdc, Jul 07, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml bottle served at a refreshingly cool temperature. This was the third beer for my birthday, after Delirium Tremens and Odell's Double Pilsner. It proved to be an excellent relief. At 7.7% ABV it was the lowest of the evening. I loved everything about this beer. The appearance was a nice cloudy golden hue. The nose was aromatic and the taste was phenomenal. I absolutely craved the sourness of this amazing saiaon. It was sad to pour out the last of it, but it was time to attempt a double IPA.

ChrisA, Jul 02, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark gold, medium sized uneven white head. A lot of bubbles, a lot of carbonation. Has a citrusy smeel, very fresh smellin.g Very rich and foamy mouthfeel, full smooth taste. vey slight bitter aftertaste, pretty sweet taste. nice lacing on the glass.

Glazed144, Jul 01, 2007

Last of a twelve ounce four pack.

Appearance: Pours clean and golden and spurts forth a mountainous off white head. Nice sticky lacing throughout.

Nose: Smells like summer, which is a sour citrus, light hops and hint of apples.

Taste: This was kept a little too cold for my liking so I gave it time to warm up and let some of the flavours loose. Tart lemon zest flavor that moves to a sweeter flavor finishing up with a hint of hops. Generally subtle flavors.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Proper carbonation and mid to light bodied. I could have a couple on a hot summer day, but would stop at two.

Notes: Solid all around Saison. Recommended and I like to use it for cooking as well, but it's not a beer I always have on hand.

Jmamay22, Jul 01, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Light straw in color with active carbonation, and a giant frothy white head that just kep getting bigger and bigger, pushing itself out of the glass into a mountain shape. I love when they do that, I was ready to start running like it was the blob or something. Spicy aroma of cloves, coriander, and white pepper. Wheaty with a lot of citrusy, lemony zest. The flavor are much the same as the aroma led on, spicy with citrusy zest. Some fruity notes of apples and pears creep in. Alcohol is noticeable but not harsh, medium bodied. Some musty farmhouse notes in the background too.

Overall: not all that complex of a beer, but absolutely delicious and well made. I think of this beer as a standard for the style, what most saisons aspire to be.

dfried, Jun 29, 2007

A: pretty light yellow in color with a big head that settles down nicely.

S: Fresh citrus fruit with a nice yeastiness about it. Very inviting.

T: A very nice tasting beer. Light up front with a nice mild spiciness. Finishes with the taste of lemon peel and a bit of that yeast I smelled.

M: Sparkling and light. Goes down rather easy.

D: I bottle these in the small 12 oz, bottles but could but down a big boy with ease.

Overall: A great domestic version of a Saison. Summer is the season to enjoy a saison and this one is thirst quenching. I just finished cooking burgers on the grill and popped this one open. Like peanut butter goes with jelly, Hennepin goes with charred flesh (burgers), summer, and good times.

tpd975, Jun 28, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Light gold in color. Massive rocky white that coats the tulip with a sticky web of lacing.

Lemon, grass, coriander, green apple, and earthy hop aromas.

Starts sweet with lemon zest, that moves into carmel malty flavors then grassy, earthy and spicy hop flavors. Finishes dry with green apple flavors. Nice clean medium bitterness.

Overall a very good Saison, probably the best American version that I have tasted. Prickly mouthfeel that scrubs the tongue. Very digestable. Paired with Cypress Grove's Herbed Chevre .

bosco7, Jun 27, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer poured a HUGE head even when I had the glass tilted. It took some time for the head to die down but the head actually gave off some nice aromatics. Slight fruity aroma, green apples, flowery almost spring-like aromas, if that makes sense. The mouth feel was huge because of the high carbonation. The taste was extremely light with the co2 rolling around in the mouth. Slightly spicy flavors, but very subtle. Finishes very crisp and clean. This is a very drinkable beer, especially in the summer heat. But I think the price tag is a bit much.

dwarvenspirits, Jun 26, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

purchased at local beer store. 750ml brown bottle to pint glass. golden and clear. very active head that does not stick around long. holds a thin white head all the way down. nice looking beer.

citrus upfront with an earthy undertone. no off odors. according to style.

nice fruit taste. can taste the yeast in there. nicely balanced. a little hint of sweetness in the aftertaste.

good amount of carbonation. mid-bodied. some brussels lace.

great beer. no session for me. could get me messed up quick. follows style. hope to drink this again.

ajmoody76, Jun 26, 2007