Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Hazy glowing orange...looks like a gemstone, with a large bubbling head that shrinks to a fine white layer. Soothing spicy, sweet fruit esters - earthy floral and light pepper. Increasingly herbal. Thick juicy fruit start with a lingering spiciness and lightly tart in the finish. Pale malts throughout...a little warming and very fresh. Mouthfeel is medium and lightly dry with a little bite. Exremely drinkable and refreshing.

Very natural and enjoyable.

wedge, Mar 12, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Initially had a bit of a skunky smell, but that went a way quickly and then I was able to smell the Belgian yeast aroma that I was expecting. Thick, half inch tall head that stayed for quite a while.

Beautiful gold color with hints of orange. Very nice looking beer.

Taste was very good. Initial Belgian flavors, tempered by a nice bit of bitterness that balanced it very well. Slightly spicy. It was not overly sweet, which is a trait I find I don't like in some of the Belgian styles.

Modest amount of carbonation. Clean and crisp dry finish.

Very drinkable brew! Had I not known differently, there is no way I'd have guessed that this wasn't brewed in Belgium. Well done, Ommegang!

doppelmeup, Mar 11, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Always willing to dive into an Ommegang!

This poured one of the whitest and lightest heads I've ever seen. Head retains relatively well, though it's a thin one from pour to final swallow. Color is pure gold with moderate bubbles and moderate lace.

Aroma is extremely fresh: grassy, mildly hoppy, flowery.

Mellow hops and a cool breeze of primo grains hit first, with mild floral spices following. Bready malts hit last. Light and unobtrusive in the mouth, this feels really good if you're not looking for a heavy, chewy ale. Dry finish.

This is a no-nonsense Saison without any wild or unusual characterstics. As such, it's a fine represenation of the style, it's delicious going down, and I'm glad I've got more left in the bottle.

Metalmonk, Mar 09, 2006

Okay, don't get me wrong, it is a very good beer but not so outstanding, the bottle came directly from the brewery up to me house.

a Limpid golden beer with a good foamy head that let herself died slowly.

Farm like flavours, similar to some saison or gueuze, some notes of natural flavours. Fruity esters, followed by hops and a shy malt.

taste wise she is fruity, hoppy with a bitter sour ensemble, acid, very carbonated, the sourness comes and reminds me of cherry sourness .

She actually reminds me of a "Saison Dupont" who mated with "La fin du monde" as wannabe.

3Vandoo, Mar 04, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Was pumped to give this one a go, I generally like Ommegang. Poured nice, tons of bubbles, tall head. Caught me off guard, required a more delicate pour than even most other belgians to moderate head size. Nice hazy gold/yellow color in the glass, appealing looking. Smelled like the real deal, very authentick belgian.

It was only once the beer left the glass and found its way onto my tongue that disappointment set in. Admittedly, for my first sip the beer was way too cold, so i let it sit for some time. Unfortunately i don't like how it opened up. Tart, bubbly, mildly sweet, citrusy, and earthy. It all sounds nice, except the tartness was too strong. Resulted in an extremely unbalanced flavor. Not to say the beer was terrible, it wasn't, however it could use significantly more strength from the earthy/malty notes. Tartness and acidity need to be toned down a bit. Noting the beer's high rating, it looks like i'm in the minority here, but so it goes. I'll stick with the 3 Philosophers next time I hit up Ommegang

t8000shx, Mar 01, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Nice hazy straw yellow. Poured into a pint glass - this thing has a really nice 2" head with a zillion tiny bubbles. A few mins later and the head is still around, looks fluffy.

S - Bready, yeasty, spicy and earthy. Smells like a belgian. I can faintly smell the hops and I don't detect the alcohol really. Reminds of me of a wit.

T - Tart and a little sweet, earthy, spicy. I'm not accustomed to this type of beer so the best description I can give is complex. Again, reminds me of a wit. There's a little bitterness throughout but it's just right. It's not bitter really - just well balanced. Wow, this thing is 7.5% ABV... I'd never even suspect it so high. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of belgians, this one is definitely tasty.

M - Smooth and very nicely carbonated. Light and refreshing.

D - I'd still choose an American ale over the belgians right now but they are really starting to grow on me. I've had several in the past and this one is definitely the best by far. I would definitely buy this again.

Rezzin, Feb 27, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle Pours a hazy yellow with a fair white fizzy head. Has a typical belgian aroma. Sweet with decent spicies. Has a nice carbonation and a good mouthfeel. A nice slight bitterness. Good crisp flavor. This one kind of snuck up on me. I enjoyed this ale very much.

Birdiebeagle, Feb 21, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

pours a light straw yellow with a monster 2in white foamy head that looks amazing....Somewhat of a yeasty smell along with some hops and actually a hint of apple...When it first hit my tounge it was fairly sweet and then mildly bitter from the hops...very nice combination...Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbination...Fairly good drinkability as well

thetachibro, Feb 21, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

25.6 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

ignoring the inch of foamy white head, the first pour out of the bottle looks surprisingly like an american macro. crystal clear, pale golden yellow. the second pour has a touch of haze, and the last is thickly cloudy.

aroma is light, but nice; peppery, barny, yeasty, with a touch of honey, champagne and fruits.

taste is also light, with a light-medium, fizzy mouthfeel and a drying finish. belgian yeast flavors, hop spices, and a barny, lemony sweetness.

very drinkable, but i'm not as impressed as others seem to be. pleasant to drink, but not a ton of depth or complexity.

Prufrock, Feb 15, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Slightly hazy golden color with white rocky head that has some good retention. Pretty good lacing. Yeasty "belgian" smell. Some fruitiness and a hint of lemon smell to it. Smooth crisp feel up front. Semi sweet lemony taste starts with sharp spicy taste following. Yeasty taste in the palate with slight bitterness left over. This is a great beer. Lots of flavor and VERY drinkable. If I had the money and resources, I could sit down with this beer all night long.

timtheenchanta, Feb 15, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Hazed pale gold with a short, bright white head made up of a combination of very fine and rocky bubbles. Great retention and plenty of lacing throughout. Aromas of lemon zest, bready yeast and vinous white wine grapes dominate, but there's a hint of caramel as well. Strong citrus component in the flavour that really lingers backed up by a bit of hop bitterness. Sweetness is light and there's a delicate fruity grape flavour and light spice in the finish. Soft alcohol warmth. Creamy carbonation and lightly palate coating. Off-dry. Refreshing and very enjoyable, this is one well-crafted beer.

DrJay, Feb 11, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

As I popped the cork out and sniffed the bottle all I could think of was sweet bubblegum. It poured to a pale but inviting golden hue capped by a capable head. A sip treats me to sugary bubblegum flavor followed by a dash of sharp spicy lemon. There's just a trace of butterlike flavor at the tail end. Nice.
Mouthfeel is very good, nice and full.
The flavor is good yet mild enough to beg for more.

TheBungyo, Feb 11, 2006

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. The beer poured a hazy golden color with a thick white head with good lacing and thick lively bubbles. The aroma is a nice citrusy mix with some spice. Perfect farmhouse smell. The taste give a good balance of the citrusy, sweetness and the thick carbonation. These two mask nicely the 7.5% ABV. Overall this is an enjoyable beer in one of my favorite styles.

ggaughan, Feb 11, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Pouring from a 22 oz. bottle, it pours into a tulip glass at room temp a lemon peel color w/ 1 1/2" white eggshell head. Very spongy with lots of sustainance; fairly cloudy appearance.

Aroma is mostly citrus with some slight spice (coriander?). it has a lot of sourness to the nose along with a bit of alcohol...a bit much for 7.5%.

Sipping is a bit of sour & bitter lemon flavor, but a lot of alcohol and carbonation kills a lot of the flavor i hoped to get from this. Some peppery flavor sneaks through along with some yeast. Maybe a bit of grass hops at the end along with some alcohol.

Lots of carbonation stings my tongue but the body is rather light. Decent alcohol bite. Could be better.

Overall, this is okay, but a bit disappointing to me considering the source of brewing.

Fish113d, Feb 10, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

I was looking forward to trying this beer, and came away unimpressed. I had a 750ml bottle, started cold, let the bottle sit at room temperature before pouring again. It was a cloudy yellow appearance with a very minimal head and no lace to speak of. It had a nice tart fruit odor to it, and a nondescript fruity taste, with some slight hoppiness. It felt just OK in the mouth. Was good to drink, but not exciting. I'll have to try it again to see if it was me or that particular bottle that wasn't working well.

lordofthewiens, Feb 09, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a Westmalle chalice from a corked 750ml bottle, caged.

A - A golden yellow with slight cloudiness. Robust white head with considerable retention and strong lacing of the glass. A gorgeous beer.

S - Hmmm ... NY not Belgium, huh? Are we sure? Smells like a true Belgian delight. Yeasty with a slight sweetness and the hint of spices. Fruity nose of melon and grapes.

T - Wow ... this is very white wine-like. I taste white grapes up front with a yeasty floral character. Slightly tangy and tart ... the fruity sweetness is offset by the dry persistence of hop accents. The alcohol is noticeable, but only in a wine-like manner. Superb. When I first tasted this, I thought "this taste I know" but couldn't identify ... I later realized this ale is so very much like a good, dry white wine.

M - I'd say this is definitely a medium-bodied ale, with quite a lot of carbonation. It's very "alive." As it warms, it pours in the mouth and covers like a pleasing effervescent blanket. This one "plays" in the mouth.

D - I'm half way through the 750ml bottle now and I'll assuredly finish it. What a pleasant, fun beer. I've had Ommegang Three Philosophers, and the Rare Vos, and liked them both for their own merits ... but this one, so far, is my favorite from Ommegang hand's down. Imminently drinkable and user-friendly, this ale ranks at the very top of the category ... Belgian or not. I had to remind myself that this wasn't an authentic Belgian ale, at least in the sense that it was brewed there. It IS authentic ... just from NY. Highly recommended and may well have a place in my top 10. An accomplishment. My hat (if I had one) off to Brewery Ommegang for this outstanding beer. I will buy more and propogate it liberally to my friends ... too good not to share.

beerphilosopher, Feb 04, 2006

750ml bottle

Pours a hazy golden bown with a huge fluffy white head that sustains. Thick bands of lacing on the glass.

Aroma is slightly sweet with fruity citrus notes. A nice breadiness is present with some hints of spice. Very fresh taste.

A tasty bready and citrus fruity flavor. Some hints of clove and a slight spiciness are present. Finishes slightly dry and fruity.

Plenty of carbonation, slick creamy texture.

Super drinkable, a solid saison.

MaltyGoodness, Feb 03, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Pours a very clear slightly pinkish golden like some champagnes are. There was a 1/4" head at first pour, that slowly fell to a 1/8" head that stuck around forever. There was some serious lacing left on the glass after dinking

Aroma: Very dry and grainy aroma with some bready yeast character. As you get deeper into the aroma, you can pick up some spice that seems like it is alcohol driven as anything.

Taste: The taste is a bit dry and attenuated also. I believe that this beer has seen better days. There is a noticeable spiciness that must be from the yeast as well. The underlying character of this beer definitely has potential. As the beer warms a bit, the flavor gets a lot softer edge to it. It is getting rather creamy and some sweetness is coming out.

Opinion: Well, after all was said and done, I ended up liking this beer even though I am convinced that it has some age on it. The flavor was complex and there were only minor flaws caused by the age. I would definitely try this beer again when it is a fresher example

SkeeterHawk, Feb 03, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a hazed citrusy yellow, with the most aggressive head I have ever enjoyed...massive, sticky, and unrelenting, be careful when you pour this one. Nose is fruity with an interesting background of typical musty, sweatish notes that are expected in the style...smells very appropriate. Taste is a bit smoother than expected with delicious lemon and clove along with dry finish and mild alcoholic warming. This one is a balanced and easy drinking example of the style, very good...I'll have this again

masikon, Jan 31, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Half-inch head, nice retention. Pale yellow, semi-cloudy, loads of carbonation

S: Citrus, wheat, banana, sweet but mildly spicy...

T: Lemony, spicy, balance of sweet and sour, dry finish with alcohol well-hidden

M: Smooth, lots of fizz, medium thick, nice coating

D: Highly drinkable brew. Good balance of flavors, alcohol doesn't play too strongly. Mouthfeel is great. Highly recommended...

bennetj17, Jan 30, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased at Kroger, yes Kroger $4.99, here in Georgia.Tasted out of 750 ml bottle, poured into straight sided pint glass {Tumbler}.
Amazing head, 2 fingers that lingers forever and recedes into a thick lace. Slightly cloudy light yellow color, Aromas of lemon and bread. Light, citrusy flavor, lemons, grapefruit, medium mouthfeel, no alcohol burn. Wonderful product, much fresher than Belgian Saison beers. Makes me wish Ommegang made more than the few styles they do!! I don't think I have ever enjoyed a beer with a thicker head {like whipped cream} that sticks to the glass as I drink it down. Almost exactly the flavor of Saison Du Pont only fresher.

I'll go down this road again.

barleyman

barleyman, Jan 29, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a lightly hazy medium yellow with a large, white, pillowy head with good retention. The smell is if moderate wheat over yeast and mild malt aromas. Banana, coriander, melon, green apple and some light flowers. The fruitiness is light but very nice. Taste-wise, it’s quite similar to the nose, but better. Malts come on a little stronger accompanied by some fruity esters, dry hops, and a little more spiciness. The finish is floral, lightly bitter and slightly astringent. Very nice mouthfeel, light and refreshing despite its complexity. Nicely done.

ski271, Jan 29, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

After struggling with the cork for some time, the bottle burst open and spattered my pant legs with beer. After blotting my self dry, I poured the beer and noted a golden colour with some murkiness. A small white head developed but flattened hurriedly. Some random fingers of lace stuck throughout the tasting. The nose had a funky wheat sort of spice quality. P'raps a bit clovey and peppery as well. Yeasty. The beer was also mildly alcoholic and was somehow reminding me of lagerish scents. The taste was somewhat "farmhouse" sour. Notes of banana and wheatish flavours as well as clove and strange esters were notable. The mouthfeel had a sort of creaminess and a solid pils style body. Easily medium. The drinkability was not a problem for me. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. Great, nah.

SupaCelt, Jan 29, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearence - Poured a brilliant golden-orange into my goblet, with a small creamy white head that never went away. Looks great, wish I had a camera to take a pic of it.

Smell - Smells of citrus, like ripened lemon's with a bit of zestyness, really smells enticing.

Taste - Wow, starts off sweet, with a nice bready flavor which subsides into a lemon/orange citrus taste. As it warms up the bready flavor is up front and the citrus comes out more, warming up a little only makes this better.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, bubbly, slightly earthy. Goes down smooth, and feels nice in the mouth.

Drinkability - Had a 750ml bottle, and I want more! This was good, was my first saison style and now I want another.

Iguana, Jan 28, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into pint glass.
A good pour. Nice head, white, foamy and lacing. good endurance. A little sediment brings bubbles through the golden, hazy body.
Smell had pinch of rose, I think. Malt, hops, citrus and something like raisin.
Taste was a good rich mixture of sweetness, malt, hops, wheat or hay. Some underpinnings of citrus.
I put 4 on the drinkability b/c of its richness.

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006