Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased at Kroger, yes Kroger $4.99, here in Georgia.Tasted out of 750 ml bottle, poured into straight sided pint glass {Tumbler}.
Amazing head, 2 fingers that lingers forever and recedes into a thick lace. Slightly cloudy light yellow color, Aromas of lemon and bread. Light, citrusy flavor, lemons, grapefruit, medium mouthfeel, no alcohol burn. Wonderful product, much fresher than Belgian Saison beers. Makes me wish Ommegang made more than the few styles they do!! I don't think I have ever enjoyed a beer with a thicker head {like whipped cream} that sticks to the glass as I drink it down. Almost exactly the flavor of Saison Du Pont only fresher.

I'll go down this road again.

barleyman

barleyman, Jan 29, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a lightly hazy medium yellow with a large, white, pillowy head with good retention. The smell is if moderate wheat over yeast and mild malt aromas. Banana, coriander, melon, green apple and some light flowers. The fruitiness is light but very nice. Taste-wise, it’s quite similar to the nose, but better. Malts come on a little stronger accompanied by some fruity esters, dry hops, and a little more spiciness. The finish is floral, lightly bitter and slightly astringent. Very nice mouthfeel, light and refreshing despite its complexity. Nicely done.

ski271, Jan 29, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

After struggling with the cork for some time, the bottle burst open and spattered my pant legs with beer. After blotting my self dry, I poured the beer and noted a golden colour with some murkiness. A small white head developed but flattened hurriedly. Some random fingers of lace stuck throughout the tasting. The nose had a funky wheat sort of spice quality. P'raps a bit clovey and peppery as well. Yeasty. The beer was also mildly alcoholic and was somehow reminding me of lagerish scents. The taste was somewhat "farmhouse" sour. Notes of banana and wheatish flavours as well as clove and strange esters were notable. The mouthfeel had a sort of creaminess and a solid pils style body. Easily medium. The drinkability was not a problem for me. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. Great, nah.

SupaCelt, Jan 29, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearence - Poured a brilliant golden-orange into my goblet, with a small creamy white head that never went away. Looks great, wish I had a camera to take a pic of it.

Smell - Smells of citrus, like ripened lemon's with a bit of zestyness, really smells enticing.

Taste - Wow, starts off sweet, with a nice bready flavor which subsides into a lemon/orange citrus taste. As it warms up the bready flavor is up front and the citrus comes out more, warming up a little only makes this better.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, bubbly, slightly earthy. Goes down smooth, and feels nice in the mouth.

Drinkability - Had a 750ml bottle, and I want more! This was good, was my first saison style and now I want another.

Iguana, Jan 28, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into pint glass.
A good pour. Nice head, white, foamy and lacing. good endurance. A little sediment brings bubbles through the golden, hazy body.
Smell had pinch of rose, I think. Malt, hops, citrus and something like raisin.
Taste was a good rich mixture of sweetness, malt, hops, wheat or hay. Some underpinnings of citrus.
I put 4 on the drinkability b/c of its richness.

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. The beer pours a hazy orange-amber color. A great, sticky, 2-inch white head forms that leaves good lacing.

As the beer warms the aroma really picks up. Smells like honey, lemon and very yeasty.

The taste is very complex. Very grassy and earthy with a hint of citrus. Alcohol and the hops come through at the end. A little spice also, kind of like cloves, that leaves the tongue slighty numbed. A medium mouthful with more carbonation than expected.

Overall, a great beer and the first saison I've had. I will definitely come back to this one often.

gatorsuf1, Jan 25, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A: BIG, fluffy white head that is thick and foamy. Golden pale yellow in color-opaque. Good lacing throughout.
S: Complex-spicy, tart fruit, yeast, earth, some lemon peel and spiced tart fruit. Some faint floral scents.
T: Wow. Smooth. Spiced tart fruit, yeasty and earthy notes with a touch of green hops in the background. Also, some lemon peel present as well as other tart fruits, and a slight alcohol presence. Lush flavors that are complex, tart fruit and spicy with yeast and earth notes.
MF: Medium and lush with a dry yet smooth finish.
Overall: A great beer-great flavor and lush. Definately worth a try and worthy of a permanent place in my fridge. Bumped it's way into the realm of my favorites. Excellent rendition of an (sadly) obscure style.

Illinick, Jan 23, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -5%

I shared a pitcher of this beer with my girlfriend and a friend of hers. This beer looks fantastic in the Hennepin goblets they gave us. The beer has a hazy golden coloration. The head is very thick and an off white color. The lacing was very good and followed the beer all the way down the glass until completion it has a peppery-nutmeg spicy fermented fruit smell with nice musty spicy yeasty notes. The taste is floral-citrus sweetness with lovely spicy notes in the flavor. This beer is very balanced. This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel. There is good carbonation in this beer. This is just an easy to drink beer.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 23, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a big head that is dissipating slowly.

Smell: Very yeasty and bready. Also a strong citrus/fruit aroma and a slight grassy aroma. As the beer warms I am picking out a pepper/clove taste. Very balanced.

Taste: Starts off with a sour and citrus taste that moves onto a yeasty and bread taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth Mouthfeel. Ends slightly dry.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could easily have a few of these in a sitting.

This is my first beer of this style and I must say that it is delicious. I think it will be even better when the warm weather gets here.

bahumutx, Jan 23, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Is it OK to drink this in January ? You bet it is! A really good Saison...reminds me of summer ...and a nice little change from the wonderful heavy seasonals that I've been drinking lately.
Pours hazy gold with an huge head....lacing nicely.
Smells yeasty and malty.
Nicely balanced malt with a perfect amount of floral hop bitterness, and the alcohol is right there. More complex than I thought it would be....this is an ale to savor.
Mouthfeel is just right...medium, with a slightly dry finish.Medium to high carbonation.
I could easily go through a few of these with or without food...it went really well with a white pizza.
Another great one from Ommegang.

Hautacam, Jan 23, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a cloudy, straw-honey color with a huge explosive head. Took a while to get all the beer in the glass what with all that foam just sitting around and such.
Smell is spice, malt, yeast, hops, fruit (green apple) with a floral note.
Taste is exactly as the nose predicted, unusual as that is.
With a medium body that leaned to the fuller side, I was surprised at this brew's lightness on the palate. The clean finish was nice as well. This is a really good beer. Kind of like a wheat but with more body.

PorterLambic, Jan 21, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Ommegang makes such good beer. The fact that its practically in my backyard is a bonus. Hennepin was the first Beer i tried from ommegang, and remains my favorite. I love saisons, and this is a bonafide classic. cloudy, sour, refreshing, not to sweet, damn good stuff. This beer pours a light gold amber, hazy with a healthy foamy head retention, nice yeasty ring in the bottom of the bottle left behind. Smells of citrus, a little alcohol, light sweetness. The flavor is all saison, nice sour tartness, a little sweetness to balance it out, wonderfully refreshing. Great Beer .

edchef1850, Jan 16, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Another classic that I've yet to review. Ommegang, the piece du resistance of American breweries. How I do love your fine Belgian style products. From the price, to the bottle art, to the pouring instructions and trivial facts on the back of your label, to your hometown--location of the quintesentially American sport's hall of fame and the original American popular novelist. But I digress. On with the review.

Hennepin pours a hazy/light orange color with a good, full, fluffy head. Despite its opaqueness, bubble activity is noteable in the glass. Decent lacing as well.

Smells of yeast, wheat and hops. And did I mention citrus fruit? It certainly has that in the aroma as well. Floral tones help complete a fine balance. A nasal delight.

Tastes fantastic. A great balance of sweetness, wheat and hoppy bitterness. There is a nice citrus, and slight spice kick at the end of the swallow.

In the mouth Father Hennepin's Saison is crisp, sharp and bitter all at the same time. Sweetness completes an incomprable quaff. Very impressive.

On the whole this is one of my favorite beers. It has just enough hop bitterness to complement the yeast/fruit tastes typical of Belgians. To my mind this is the finest saison around. An American classic!!

macpapi, Jan 13, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a hazy gold with big carbonation and a thick white head that lasts. Aroma is dominated by spice with a hint of fruit. The flavor displays a dry, peppery character with an underlying lime-like citrus essence. Spritzy carbonation, a medium body, and a slightly perceptable alcohol finish make this an excellent example of the style.

marksto, Jan 13, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Served from a 750ml bottle to my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance -- Hazy light gold in color with a tall frothy white head, reminiscent of a cloud.

Smell -- Smells like a clear early summer day. Kind of floral . . . a lot of life. Complex.

Taste -- Semi-fruity and earthy. Very nice.

Mouthfeel -- Nice carbonation; very pleasant mouthfeel.

Drinkability -- Quite quaffable. This is one I'll be seeking out on a regular basis. This is my first Ommegang product and I like it very much. You get a lot of value for the price you pay. I cannot believe this is made in New York. It totally feels like it's from Belgium. Great stuff!

ClearDog, Jan 08, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer pours a light, mild golden yellow with a bit of smooth white head sustained by a stream of bubbles from the bottom of the chalice. Smells of caramel and spicy yeast with a wonderful sour grape smell. The flavor is dominated by an amazing musky yeast and malt that are beyond my vocabulary, but I must try none the less. There’s a mossy anis-like yeast that just grooves with my palate and a green grass undertone. There’s also an obscured foundation of sweet grains that taste like oats and wheat. Light airy bubbles seem to unlock a hint of mandarin oranges and a very subtle dry piney hops. The mouth feel was medium bodied with an unobtrusive carbonation. Absolutely amazing. I just couldn’t/can’t believe that this is made in New York. Highly recommended.

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 06, 2006

Pours a very hazy golden, huge white head forms, good retention and lots of lace. Smell is sweet, honey, some cork, wheat, citrus, spice and yeast. Taste is sweet with notes of honey, spice, very malty, wheat, caramel and yeast. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Good beer but I don't think I'd put it in the top 100.

Viggo, Jan 03, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Where to begin... The presentation of this beer is stunning! It's corked and caged in a brown, round-lipped bottle that is incredibly classy for the low price. A very cautious uncorking releases pressure with a crack and swirly haze rises from the mouth of the bottle like in a mad scientist's lab. The anticipation nearly kills me...

Hennepin pours into my tulip glass a glowing orange with an off-white head of large bubbles that builds rapidly (I love you, tulip) and surprises me with its retention, forming chunky mountains that fade only when I get them all over my face for the first sip. Rising columns of tiny bubbles mark the depths of this slightly opaque beer. Lacing clings completely like spackle. Very enticing indeed.

The smell is very small... I'm lucky to catch a couple of tiny, seductive notes of alcohol and roasted nuts... A few things whizz past too fast for me to really make them out? Definitely enticing, but not exactly pungent.

Taking a deep sip sets the tip of my tongue off, huge sweetness helped by swishy carbonation, a balanced middle... A caress of flavors on the back of the tongue... It's VERY well-balanced and not too sweet or bitter. Citrus, honey, slightly metallic notes, just a little tart.

Mouthfeel is pretty unreal. There's a very, very thin caramel left by those swishy bubbles of carbonation; A medium body that in my opinion is too good to be true. Alcohol warms the back of the tongue and immediately sets off good feelings in my belly. This beer does 7.5%abv as well as I could ever hope. I can barely taste it, but the effects relax my muscles and stimulate my mind. No booziness. Drinkability is superb.. I think I might drink the whole bottle. I think this beer gets the highest scoring of those I've rated here so far.

The way this beer is presented and tastes, I could easily be fooled into thinking it's a $15 Belgian import. $5.69, are you kidding me? Unreal!

Tupperwolf, Dec 31, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

This is the first beer I ever had that is a saison, and one of the first that turned me on to craft brews. It was served to me in the city, and it showed me that beer didn't have to be chugged down in mass quantities to be enjoyed. 4 years later, it still remains a wonderful brew and quite interesting to the touch and smell...

It poured a wonderful goldenrod, with a head that filled up the remaning space in my good ol' pint glass. Very cloudy, especially after I swirled the yeast that settled on the bottom of the bottle and added it to the beer that was already out. The taste is enjoyable - lots of bread, yeast, citrus, floral, and metallic notes combine for a mellow and dry taste. Not a lot of bitterness here, but it has a very European tone to it and it became more and more enjoyable as it warmed up throughout my drinking session. The lacing was wonderful too - the bubbles on the side of my pint glass are practically defying gravity, even as I take a few minutes in between sips!

I recently had the Southampton Cuvee Des Fluers at David Copperfield's in New York City, and I feel that their offering and this brew would do a lot to expand the average beer drinkers horizons. The only thing that I would wish for regarding Hennepin is that it would be more readily available in my neck of the woods. I believe the effort to increase it's exposure would be well worth it in the end. Highly recommended!

JerzDevl2000, Dec 29, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

750 ml bottle poured into my tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a light brown with a hint of orange hue to it. Translucent but hazy. Nice head. Highly carbonated.

Smell: Very sweet malty smell with lots of citrus and surprisingly yeasty and bready.

Taste: Sweet malts, bread, a bit too much yeastyness (for me), citrus, and bit of wheat. Very good. Not my favorite flavor for a Saison, but still a good beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied highly carbonated beer. Crisp finish feels refreshing.

Drinkability: Though Saison may not be my favorite style and this is not my favorite Saison it is still very drinkable and a 'classy' beer that is good to impress with. It is quite drinkable and worthy of a justifiable occasion from time to time.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Dec 26, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This nice, corked, 750 mL bottle paired nicely with the Christmas turkey and stuffing.

A: Carefully decanted: Very clear, pilsner-like straw/yellow in colour. Tons of fluffy white head, not much retention, but leaves a nice lace. Mix up the yeast sediment and it becomes quite murky.

S: Earthy, spicy and bready.

T: Spicy, earthy, bready. Slightly bitter, with a hint of tartness in the aftertaste. Mix up the yeast sediment and the earthy flavour is really intensified. The flavours are very light, but still offer some depth and complexity. Very nice.

M: Moderate body, fairly high carbonation.

D: Quite good.

Derek, Dec 26, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Pours a lemony golden orange mix of color with a one finger foamy white head.

S: Aromas have mango, orange, kiwi, pineapple, lemon, citrusy. Tons of smells that all blend into each other. I got all those different aromas on different sniffs.

T: Spicy and hoppy with a tang of lemon.

M & D: Mouthfeel is nice with a good level of carbonation that may seem overpowering at first but isn't that bad and has a very nice smoothness. Light feel that leaves a refreshing taste in your mouth.

bjohnson, Dec 24, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I had a 16 oz bottle sitting in my beer closet for about six months, and broke it out this weekend, on the coldest day of the season for a taste of summer.

Damn. It was a bit hot when it was young, but holy moly does it age well. An elixer of summer, just a magical brew.

Clear golden, with a huge fat puffy head that looks like merangue. As it settled large bubbles in the head popped, leaving a jagged landscape of head. Spicy and tart smelling, but it tastes like summer. Clean and crisp, light and airy, grassy and spicy yeast with a touch of fruit. The time alone in the dark really helped this one, calmed the alchohol and melded things perfectly. I found it a little hot before, but now, damn.

Light and airy, with just a hint of spice from the yeast, this one is a really special beer, mellow, full of subtle flavor. Get some, store some, love some.

hustlemuscle, Dec 21, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden yellow ale with a huge bubbly white head with above standard retention. Aroma of pear and lemon with some distinguishable yeast. Taste is really hoppier then most Saison I have tried with a dry finish. Body is quite full and spice mix is interesting but could have been more accentuated. Very interesting take on the style.

Phyl21ca, Dec 20, 2005
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from the bottle into a wide mouthed goblet.

Appearance: This beer looks fantastic in the goblet. The beer is a somewhat hazy golden coloration. The head towered in the glass a solid off white. The lacing clung like pancake batter on the glass. Very tight bubbles noted breaking the surface.

Smell: Very spicy hoppy smell. Lots of peppery spicyness plays with fruity goodness. Floral notes play with citrus. There is a nice musty spicy yeasty notes. A very nice funky smell plays around the nose.

Taste: There is an initial floral citrusy sweetness on initial taste. There is plenty of spicy funky notes in the flavor. Very nicely hopped and malted.

Mouthfeel: This beer is meduim bodied plus. There is loads of carbonation in this beer. The finish is dry and leaves you wanting more beer.

Drinkability: This is just an easy to drink beer. Pure drinking pleasure through and through.

nlmartin, Dec 20, 2005